Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

This made me laugh pretty hard considering the woman that posted it works as a CNA and makes probably $8-$10 an hour. Or at least she used to a few years ago. She's literally part of the 50% of lazy bad Americans who don't pay any income taxes at all. :downs:

Barack Obama recognizes that the bully has stolen all the Lego bricks from the other child. The other child knows that the bully will take whatever toys they try to play with, and decides to just lie down in a corner rather than attempt self improvement. Our president attempts to fix the problem.

A good fwd: FWD: fwd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

prom candy posted:

If you want to argue with people who know their poo poo you need to find stuff in the New Testament as most Christians (AFAIK) aren't expected to follow all the rules in the Old Testament. Does anyone know of any crazy rules in the NT?

Well, Matthew 5:17-18 means you just shut that argument down straight away - Christians have to follow everything in the Old Testament.

quote:

- “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
- For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

prom candy posted:

If you want to argue with people who know their poo poo you need to find stuff in the New Testament as most Christians (AFAIK) aren't expected to follow all the rules in the Old Testament. Does anyone know of any crazy rules in the NT?

Luke posted:

14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

But really you shouldn't let them people away with poopooing the Old Testament.
1. The Old Testament if full of hosed up immoral poo poo (slavery, rape, genocide, stoning for breaking stupid rules, child sacrifice, etc). So was God just some hosed up psychopath until he became/had Jesus, and we're just supposed to ignore that? Before Jesus came, would it have been reasonable to refuse to worship God because he was immoral? How can God be "all good" if he was clearly not good for a long time?
2. All the anti-gay stuff is in the Old Testament, so if you want to hate on gays biblically, you better be able to deal with the rest of the Old Testament.
3. The 10 Commandments are in the Old Testament, so unless you are willing to throw those away, you better be able to deal with the rest of the Old Testament.

If you just want to look for highlights in terms of stupid/immoral/good/contradictions passages in the Bible, a good resource is The Skeptics Annotated Bible

Also it was hard to stop and just place the etc in those parentheses...

modig fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 28, 2012

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

modig posted:

2. All the anti-gay stuff is in the Old Testament, so if you want to hate on gays biblically, you better be able to deal with the rest of the Old Testament.

It's not though, most Christian bigots who have actually done their homework will point to Romans 1:26-27

Some Book That Makes It Okay to Hate People posted:

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence [sic] of their error which was meet."

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I asked a friend about the babies being thrown against rocks. His reply was, "they were hell spawn :smug:"

modig
Aug 20, 2002

prom candy posted:

It's not though, most Christian bigots who have actually done their homework will point to Romans 1:26-27

I was unaware of that verse, thanks for correcting me.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

evilbastard posted:

Well, Matthew 5:17-18 means you just shut that argument down straight away - Christians have to follow everything in the Old Testament.

That one's really not that clear cut. When you fulfill something it means you bring it to its conclusion. Fulfilling an order would mean delivering it for instance. The common argument, which I tend to buy, is that he fulfilled the prophecies and laws by becoming a scapegoat for humanity's sins. It makes a lot of sense from even just a narrative standpoint.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Deuteronomy has some loving horrible laws in it, including that one,
For the time, it's not even a horrible law. The alternative to "the rapist has to marry her" was "she's never going to get married, since she's now impure."

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

For the time, it's not even a horrible law. The alternative to "the rapist has to marry her" was "she's never going to get married, since she's now impure."

Its true, it is possible to imagine even more barbaric laws than those found in the Old Testament. The point of modern (my?) criticism is that if we consider the laws in the Bible barbaric, it implies 2 things.
1. We don't actually rely on the Bible for moral judgement.
2. The Bible isn't a good source of moral advice.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
One would think God could have the time to say, "She's a human being, not a life support system for a broken hymen, you assholes."

These people rend their garments about "moral absolutes" when they talk about the consensual sex gay people have, but trot out "It's better than the other bronze age nomads" regarding the treatment of rape victims.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 28, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

The Code of Hammurabi posted:

If a man has ravished another's betrothed wife, who is a virgin, while still living in her father's house, and has been caught in the act, that man shall be put to death; the woman shall go free.

If a man has been taken captive, but there was not maintenance in his house, and his wife has entered into the house of another, that woman has no blame.

If a man has determined to divorce a concubine who has borne him children, or a votary who has granted him children, he shall return to that woman her marriage-portion, and shall give her the usufruct of field, garden, and goods, to bring up her children. After her children have grown up, out of whatever is given to her children, they shall give her one son's share, and the husband of her choice shall marry her.

If a man has divorced his wife, who has not borne him children, he shall pay over to her as much money as was given for her bride-price and the marriage-portion which she brought from her father's house, and so shall divorce her.

If there was no bride-price, he shall give her one mina of silver, as a price of divorce.

If a woman has hated her husband and has said, "You shall not possess me," her past shall be inquired into, as to what she lacks. If she has been discreet, and has no vice, and her husband has gone out, and has greatly belittled her, that woman has no blame, she shall take her marriage-portion and go off to her father's house.

If a man has married a wife and a disease has seized her, if he is determined to marry a second wife, he shall marry her. He shall not divorce the wife whom the disease has seized. In the home they made together she shall dwell, and he shall maintain her as long as she lives.

That predates Deuteronomy by about a millennium.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

prom candy posted:

This is a cop-out. The vast majority of the "traditional values" Christians want everyone to be held to by civil law come from the Old Testament. Jesus gave some conservative (for moderns) opinions about OT law and marriage which were fairly liberal at the time (for the Jews, who had weird hangups even then) but it's really peripheral to the core message of the Gospels.

If you're arguing with someone worth talking to the real issue that you always need to go to is that Christians pick and choose what they like from the OT and thus the "traditional values" they espouse aren't even "biblical values". They're just some cultural group trying to impose their culture on everyone else while being incredibly self-righteous about it. Of course the distinction shouldn't matter in civil law but it ought to matter to a self-professing Christian.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That last one would have been a drag for Newt Gingrich.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Those laws seem a lot more sensible. Why does God hate womenfolk so much? :sigh:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Those laws seem a lot more sensible. Why does God hate womenfolk so much? :sigh:
God is the original Men's Rights Activist.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Here's God's instructions for giving abortions:

Numbers 5:11-31 posted:

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If a man’s wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him so that another man has sexual relations with her, and this is hidden from her husband and her impurity is undetected (since there is no witness against her and she has not been caught in the act), and if feelings of jealousy come over her husband and he suspects his wife and she is impure—or if he is jealous and suspects her even though she is not impure— then he is to take his wife to the priest. He must also take an offering of a tenth of an ephah of barley flour on her behalf. He must not pour olive oil on it or put incense on it, because it is a grain offering for jealousy, a reminder-offering to draw attention to wrongdoing.

“‘The priest shall bring her and have her stand before the Lord. Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water. After the priest has had the woman stand before the Lord, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder-offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse. Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, “If no other man has had sexual relations with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you. But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”— here the priest is to put the woman under this curse —“may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries.”

“‘Then the woman is to say, “Amen. So be it.”

“‘The priest is to write these curses on a scroll and then wash them off into the bitter water. He shall make the woman drink the bitter water that brings a curse, and this water that brings a curse and causes bitter suffering will enter her. The priest is to take from her hands the grain offering for jealousy, wave it before the Lord and bring it to the altar. The priest is then to take a handful of the grain offering as a memorial offering and burn it on the altar; after that, he is to have the woman drink the water. If she has made herself impure and been unfaithful to her husband, this will be the result: When she is made to drink the water that brings a curse and causes bitter suffering, it will enter her, her abdomen will swell and her womb will miscarry, and she will become a curse. If, however, the woman has not made herself impure, but is clean, she will be cleared of guilt and will be able to have children.

“‘This, then, is the law of jealousy when a woman goes astray and makes herself impure while married to her husband, or when feelings of jealousy come over a man because he suspects his wife. The priest is to have her stand before the Lord and is to apply this entire law to her. The husband will be innocent of any wrongdoing, but the woman will bear the consequences of her sin.’”

Basically wives: if your husband suspects you're unfaithful then you get tested. If you pass, well done. If you fail, then your baby is aborted and you are now barren.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Augster posted:

Here's God's instructions for giving abortions:

Basically wives: if your husband suspects you're unfaithful then you get tested. If you pass, well done. If you fail, then your baby is aborted and you are now barren.

God will use his magic to abort your baby if you take some offerings to a priest. But he won't use his magic to be like "yo dude, just a heads up, your wife and this other dude are loving in the barn, I'll make sure they won't conceive tho so its fine since women are just baby factories."

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Boxman posted:

Barack Obama recognizes that the bully has stolen all the Lego bricks from the other child. The other child knows that the bully will take whatever toys they try to play with, and decides to just lie down in a corner rather than attempt self improvement. Our president attempts to fix the problem.

A good fwd: FWD: fwd:

Also, they're Duplos.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Well a lot of the rest of the code of Hammurabi involves drowning people to death for really petty things. They just happened to be slightly more egalitarian in their terrible laws. :v:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Well a lot of the rest of the code of Hammurabi involves drowning people to death for really petty things. They just happened to be slightly more egalitarian in their terrible laws. :v:
Well, that's one way to interpret it. They don't list any punishment for raping a woman who isn't betrothed to someone, though.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Well, that's one way to interpret it. They don't list any punishment for raping a woman who isn't betrothed to someone, though.

We're actually not sure. We're missing a big chunk of like 40 or so laws. Maybe that's where they implement the gynocracy MRAs always complain about.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

cbirdsong posted:

Some people have invented a Gmail add-on that automatically checks for keywords in common forwards, and then automatically presents links that debunk them: http://www.lazytruth.com

I just wanted to add that I work with the developer of this plugin, so let me know if you have feedback / ideas / etc. I think it's a great idea and wanted to plug it again.

http://www.lazytruth.com/

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Petey posted:

I just wanted to add that I work with the developer of this plugin, so let me know if you have feedback / ideas / etc. I think it's a great idea and wanted to plug it again.

http://www.lazytruth.com/
Is it actually available yet?

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!
It doesn't look like it is.

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012
Few pages back, there was something about the US paying welfare to illegal immigrants. Is that a real thing?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Not unless they're the best identity theifs in the world.

The closest thing they get to government healthcare is a trip to the ER.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

machinegunmessiah posted:

Few pages back, there was something about the US paying welfare to illegal immigrants. Is that a real thing?

Think about it this way, to get federal welfare aid, you'd have to submit documentation to the federal government. Illegal immigrants not only don't have the required documentation (e.g. social security numbers), but applying for aid would expose them to deportation because it would notify the government that they are illegally in the US.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I imagine somebody once told a 'welfare queen' anecdote and, to mix things up, decided to make the woman buying champagne and lobster with food stamps Hispanic instead of black.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
A thought occurred to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

One thing that I guess they could point to in a roundabout way is SNAP benefits going to US citizen children of undocumented parents (:cry: anchor babies). Good thing that even that is being fought against.

Last year in Kansas, they changed the eligibility and payout formula to no longer count undocumented members in your household size. So, for example, if your household brings in $2200 per month for 3 US citizen children and 2 undocumented parents, you would no longer qualify for any SNAP benefits, since that income divided over the only 3 counted members is above the income threshold. Previously, when income in mixed documentation households was prorated, they would receive a total monthly benefit of ~$253.

So in their quest to avoid giving illegal immigrants a single dollar of aid, Kansas decided it was a good idea to cut the benefits legal US citizens, resulting in more than 1000 being dropped from the program entirely.

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012

Bruce Leroy posted:

Think about it this way, to get federal welfare aid, you'd have to submit documentation to the federal government. Illegal immigrants not only don't have the required documentation (e.g. social security numbers), but applying for aid would expose them to deportation because it would notify the government that they are illegally in the US.

Yeah, I thought it was weird, I just don't live in United States and don't know how you apply for aid and if 'Welfare For Immigrants' wasn't some extremely humanitarian government program...

Lansdowne posted:

One thing that I guess they could point to in a roundabout way is SNAP benefits going to US citizen children of undocumented parents (:cry: anchor babies). Good thing that even that is being fought against.

Last year in Kansas, they changed the eligibility and payout formula to no longer count undocumented members in your household size. So, for example, if your household brings in $2200 per month for 3 US citizen children and 2 undocumented parents, you would no longer qualify for any SNAP benefits, since that income divided over the only 3 counted members is above the income threshold. Previously, when income in mixed documentation households was prorated, they would receive a total monthly benefit of ~$253.

So in their quest to avoid giving illegal immigrants a single dollar of aid, Kansas decided it was a good idea to cut the benefits legal US citizens, resulting in more than 1000 being dropped from the program entirely.

I dunno, that seems kinda reasonable. Is there any other reason why would the parents be 'undocumented' than being there illegally? Not trying to get all flame-y, I just genuinely don't know.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
What about legal immigrants? Green card holders and such? I assume they can apply for whatever? That letter didn't say anything about "illegal" immigrants.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yeah, I thought it was weird, I just don't live in United States and don't know how you apply for aid and if 'Welfare For Immigrants' wasn't some extremely humanitarian government program...

I dunno, that seems kinda reasonable. Is there any other reason why would the parents be 'undocumented' than being there illegally? Not trying to get all flame-y, I just genuinely don't know.

Regardless of what you think about what undocumented immigrants deserve, we're still talking about US citizens living in poverty being denied aid simply because some members of their family are undocumented.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Ninja Rope posted:

What about legal immigrants? Green card holders and such? I assume they can apply for whatever? That letter didn't say anything about "illegal" immigrants.

I know when I got my green card I was specifically told that I couldn't apply for certain benefits, though I don't recall which ones. It may vary between states, also.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
On the other hand, when the federal government told Nebraska to stop providing pre-natal care to illegal immigrant mothers through Medicaid, they passed a law over the governor's veto providing care to their unborn children through CHIP, under the reasoning that once they were born the child would be a US citizen. One of those crazy occasions where pro-life politicians actually follow through on the further implications of their stance.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

The issue with the first one, "Welfare For Immigrants", is it manages to both be extremely specific and overly broad. Its mostly a problem with the way the term "welfare" is used in the US. Welfare was a real cash-assistance program, but it ended in the late 1990's; its now called TANF and has gone under a lot of reforms. But people still call it Welfare. But at the same time, people will refer to any sort of programs designed to help people as welfare:

SNAP - Food Stamps
Section 8 - Housing subsidies
Unemployment Insurance
Medicaid - Medical insurnace
TANF - True Welfare

And so on. Any sort of social program just gets lumped into "welfare". In most cases, they can't directly benefit. But if they have citizen children, their children can benefit, which could be argued gives them an indirect benefit (except for the fact that children cost way more than what these programs would ever provide and they'd be better off getting nothing and having no children from a financial perspective). The result is that people complain about "welfare", but may be referring to a different program, or just flat out combining and confusing different parts of different programs.

As to your second question, the problem is you have US citizens going hungry or being malnourished because the people who are responsible for them can't afford to feed them. That should trump any concerns over benefits the parents may indirectly derive from the money. What's more, the benefits are already prorated based on the number of family members who qualify. For example, the family that Lansdowne mentioned only gets $253/month for three children. If the parents were here legally, they would be getting (off my head number) ~$400/month. So they already aren't getting the same benefits that people who are here legally would get. They only get the portion that the children qualify for.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Is it fair that 5% of the nations competing in the 2012 Olympics
have 40% of the medals while the bottom 50% of the countries competing in the
Olympics have only 10% of all medals?
Should an Olympic medal tax be levied on those nations at the very top? After all, they use many of the resources
provided by the bottom 50%.

I propose a
$multi-million dollar per medal tax imposed on all medals given to (earned is
such an unfair word) China, USA, Italy, S. Korea, Australia and Russia. The tax will be collected by the Human Rights
arm of the UN and shared among all of the nations comprising the bottom 50% of
medal winners.

In these unfair times, where the wealthiest nations enjoy an
unfair advantage, leading to an unfair share of gold, silver and bronze medals,
we should even the playing field for all other nations' athletes who work just
as hard.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Is it fair that 5% of the nations competing in the 2012 Olympics
have 40% of the medals while the bottom 50% of the countries competing in the
Olympics have only 10% of all medals?
Should an Olympic medal tax be levied on those nations at the very top? After all, they use many of the resources
provided by the bottom 50%.

They're attempting sarcasm but simultaneously making a point about imbalanced resources and exploitation. These are the moments :ironicat: was truly made for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

losonti tokash posted:

On the other hand, when the federal government told Nebraska to stop providing pre-natal care to illegal immigrant mothers through Medicaid, they passed a law over the governor's veto providing care to their unborn children through CHIP, under the reasoning that once they were born the child would be a US citizen. One of those crazy occasions where pro-life politicians actually follow through on the further implications of their stance.

That just got me to think of an angle I never heard considered before. If you believe life truly does begin at conception, shouldn't that mean all fetuses provably conceived within US borders are citizens? Or do they not become citizens until physically born here? If so, does this introduce some sort of grey period where a fetus is a person, just not a citizen of any country?

Nothing really meaningful to consider, but it might be fun to watch the gears turn in the head of your favorite pro-lifer.