Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr. Squishy posted:

According to the man himself, Larson had an idea of a dog, having finally caught a car, howling in triumph atop it's flipped corpse. Next, in an attempt to be a proper cartoonist, he researched what the underside of a car looks like and drew in a gear-box, bulging out underneath the dog. Then it was published, and he found out he drew a dog loving a car.

I was just joking about how there are 100s of cartoons of Romney with a dog on top of a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I considered that possibility, but I wasn't sure and it's a good story.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope the sequel is Bears. Then Bear 3. Then Bear Resurrection.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

B3ar

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

According to the man himself, Larson had an idea of a dog, having finally caught a car, howling in triumph atop it's flipped corpse. Next, in an attempt to be a proper cartoonist, he researched what the underside of a car looks like and drew in a gear-box, bulging out underneath the dog. Then it was published, and he found out he drew a dog loving a car.

There was a similar cartoon in MAD many years ago where a couple in a car are being chased by a dog. One of the two wonders what the dog would do if it caught the car, and the other says "Well, why don't you stop and find out?" Move to next panel: "Well, now we know. I guess we'd better find a car wash."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope the sequel is Bears. Then Bear 3. Then Bear Resurrection.

Then B5ar.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Eventually the poorly-received 8EAR, then the reboot BEAR: THE BEGINNING.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Perhaps a BEAR crossover film with the Bloeugrancey?

BEARUGRANCEY.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

No no, Bear: The Beginning was the direct to video prequel. The reboot was The Bear.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

penismightier posted:

Surely you mean Bear: The Bearginning.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

These jokes are so bad they are giving me a kodiak arrest.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Comicbook movie crossover:

I've read the books, Hollywood would have a field day :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 30, 2012

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Anyone have a picture of that cartoon?

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

falz posted:

Anyone have a picture of that cartoon?

We don't post Larson cartoons on Something Awful. He sent a heartwarming email asking for his cartoons to be taken down, and it was very nice and it was agreed upon :unsmith:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
No poo poo?. Having no luck finding that cartoon on google, but plenty of people mentioning it. He must send nice emails to everyone who hosts stuff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

penismightier posted:

I guarantee you at least 2 reviews of it are headlined "UNBEARABLE".

"This supposedly suspenseful movie quickly passed tense and became Bore."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
From the VHS facebook page

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Bear With a Vengeance.

But yeah, Bear is on Netflix and it's really, really bad.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

That's the video I had for it.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
I'd like to take a moment to recommend Dead Pit, a regrettably bad horror movie from quite a long time ago. Why, you ask?

The original VHS case featured 3D molding with, get this, actual light up LED zombie eyes. It was absolutely astounding.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I love it. I really miss VHS from time to time. There was just something about them that made it feel like more of an event.

Be kind, please rewind.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well they pretty much were an event for a lot of people. It wasn't as cheap to buy a bunch of movies as it was back than. If I remember right didn't movies back than take forever to come out on VHS?

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Yeah, it did seem to take longer. And they were more expensive, I think, just by the nature of them being more complicated.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

OK Octopus posted:

I'd like to take a moment to recommend Dead Pit, a regrettably bad horror movie from quite a long time ago. Why, you ask?

The original VHS case featured 3D molding with, get this, actual light up LED zombie eyes. It was absolutely astounding.

Here's a picture of it in action:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The font is really close to the one used for The Dead Zone.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

OK Octopus posted:

I don't know, Frankenhooker's case TALKS! Can Dead Pit talk? I don't think so.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
BEAR inspire me to advise.

also

and based on the internet sensation

As a sidenote, I'm slightly amused by the really long cast names. Does anyone know if actors insist on their middle name being printed for a specific reason? More room for their name? More distinction?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Occasionally it's due to SAG regulations. I'd imagine there are obscure actors with SAG credits who already have those names sans middle names.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

falz posted:

No poo poo?. Having no luck finding that cartoon on google, but plenty of people mentioning it. He must send nice emails to everyone who hosts stuff.

I'm pretty sure it was a general request he made to the whole internet, not just SA.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Well they pretty much were an event for a lot of people. It wasn't as cheap to buy a bunch of movies as it was back than. If I remember right didn't movies back than take forever to come out on VHS?

The whole thing was so completely different from now its kind of crazy to think it was only about a decade ago. Movies took longer to come out on VHS and even then you weren't guarenteed to be able to buy it as they were then broken down into two groups, the ones ready for home sale and the ones sold to video rental places. Well, technically you could purchase the rental tape yourself, it just cost anywhere between $60-90.

The entire system really changed with the advent of DVDs. All of a sudden every movie was reasonably priced and you could just go down to your local big box store and just pick it up for yourself, instead of waiting for a used copy to go on sale at the rental place.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a general request he made to the whole internet, not just SA.
Yeah, he wrote a letter to the Internet basically saying "look guys, I appreciate that you love my stuff so much you want to share it, but it feels weird seeing other people do what they want with it and I'm kind of personally attached to it, so if you wouldn't put it online that'd be cool. Thanks."

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, he wrote a letter to the Internet basically saying "look guys, I appreciate that you love my stuff so much you want to share it, but it feels weird seeing other people do what they want with it and I'm kind of personally attached to it, so if you wouldn't put it online that'd be cool. Thanks."

And it just goes to show that asking nicely and keeping a level head will go a long way on the Internet, even with the jaded 4chan types, since I don't think I've ever seen a Far Side cartoon online ever.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Ez posted:

And it just goes to show that asking nicely and keeping a level head will go a long way on the Internet, even with the jaded 4chan types, since I don't think I've ever seen a Far Side cartoon online ever.

Here you go I guess: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/the+far+side

As someone who knows pretty much every Larson cartoon by heart and is a bit of a fan, there's just a handful up through there. But seriously, pick up an anthology or two if you can, he's not bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vagabundo posted:

Occasionally it's due to SAG regulations. I'd imagine there are obscure actors with SAG credits who already have those names sans middle names.

Often more obscure than the actors who follow them, too. Maurice Mickelwhite discovered that to his dismay, and changed his name entirely to use part of his surname and the title of his favourite movie. Still, "Michael Caine" sounds better.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Jefferoo posted:

As someone who knows pretty much every Larson cartoon by heart and is a bit of a fan, there's just a handful up through there. But seriously, pick up an anthology or two if you can, he's not bad.

I didn't mean I'd never seen The Far Side, I've just never seen it online. As far as newspaper comics go its pretty good and if I ever found a collection I'd probably buy it

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ez posted:

I didn't mean I'd never seen The Far Side, I've just never seen it online. As far as newspaper comics go its pretty good and if I ever found a collection I'd probably buy it

There have been numerous anthologies released of the Far Side, but the best thing to get would be the Prehistory of the Far Side which is basically the history of the Far Side, filled with unreleased stuff and funny anecdotes (like the one about the dog loving the car). It is really a great read with some interesting history thrown in there.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jefferoo posted:

FunnyJunk somewhat infamously hosted and watermarked a bunch of Far Side cartoons, along with Calvin and Hobbes. It was one of the talking points that came up when that crappy linkbait cartoonist called them out.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Ez posted:

Well there's The Complete Far Side that has every strip in it in two big books. It's pretty awesome.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gaseous Snake posted:

I don't know, Frankenhooker's case TALKS! Can Dead Pit talk? I don't think so.

I know it's Frankenhooker, but you really shouldn't call a lady a Talking Box and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

This is incredible, I can't help but laugh every time I look at it.