Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
computers will never replace humans for sniping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

tef posted:

you can roll your own in 0mq, sure, but really, there are other options out there. HTTP makes a decent request-response protocol, and there is a poo poo ton of library support for it. if you use a good one, you can take advantage of http caches and load balancers.

also I have no idea how 0mq makes things 'scalable'. scaling an application is m often an operations problem, more than an implementation problem.

While glyph is certainly cool and all that, I don't want to do real-time stuff over http/xml/json. Maybe it's possible, but it seems to end in horrible disaster every time I've seen it tried. I dunno, sounds like this is just a different domain than you are thinking of.

In small potatoes land, if I'm doing an internal service and I can get away with setting up one server in the corner to do everything, I'm gonna do it. The combo of being efficient in binary and handling concurrency lets that one machine scale nicely.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i should write a high frequency trading sniping algo

in prolog

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

iamthexander posted:

am i missing something i thought good scripting languages could do concurrency

concurrency isn't something you'd want to mix with scripting languages, because it's hard

if you can't let your UNIX kernel handle concurrency (by making all your concurrence in separate processes that don't share resources except a database) the only right choice is erlang, which has crazy restrictions that make it possible to write correct and reliable concurrent code on the first try

locks and mutexes: scrub tier

asynchronous messaging: pro

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

iamthexander posted:

am i missing something i thought good scripting languages could do concurrency

Pray tell, what "good scripting language" is this?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Meiwaku posted:

Pray tell, what "good scripting language" is this?

PHP

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

how do you start a new thread?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
call wget inside php

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no dont

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Brain Candy posted:

While glyph is certainly cool and all that, I don't want to do real-time stuff over http/xml/json. Maybe it's possible, but it seems to end in horrible disaster every time I've seen it tried. I dunno, sounds like this is just a different domain than you are thinking of.

In small potatoes land, if I'm doing an internal service and I can get away with setting up one server in the corner to do everything, I'm gonna do it. The combo of being efficient in binary and handling concurrency lets that one machine scale nicely.

in small potatoes land, http is fine.

in big things, http has caches and load balancers.

in real time stuff, 0mq is probably doing stuff behind your back that you don't want.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

pro tip: don't pass the same session id through, this deadlocks php

(I helped debug this once)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

As the ultimate Erlang weenie, it's kind of nice to see people sometimes advocating Erlang instead of laughing at it all the time, like they did a couple of years ago.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

call wget inside php

lol

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

As the ultimate Erlang weenie, it's kind of nice to see people sometimes advocating Erlang instead of laughing at it all the time, like they did a couple of years ago.

munctional

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

tef posted:

in small potatoes land, http is fine.

in big things, http has caches and load balancers.

in real time stuff, 0mq is probably doing stuff behind your back that you don't want.

The small potatoes stuff I was talking about is real time stuff :shobon:

in really big things, small efficiencies start becoming more important as dev time is relatively less valuable, a la protocol buffers.

eh, real time is like anything else, if something can get you 90% of the way you try that first.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

tinselt0wn posted:

this all brings us back to javascript. write javascript how you want. OO? great. Functional? even better.

Jslint allows you to be as strict as you want in regards to style and code conventions. You don't need a fancy environment to do your testing either, so if something screws up just press f5 in your browser and you're seeing the latest code.

the best testing tools, designed to work with your style of coding, not enforce silly restrictions like python, and capable of rapid development. please use a javascript today.

haha where is this from?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yospos, sadly

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
pro tip: don't use php

(i helped debug this once)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Gogey posted:

pro tip: always use php

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

let's use php... forever

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
have u ever used php ... on weed :2bong:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
closure compiler is nice for javascript

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sniep posted:

don't write programs - have programmers write programs, then you don't have to worry about any of this super boring poo poo

for your mental health

alternately, write programs to write the programs for you

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

i barely GNU her! posted:

have u ever used php ... on weed :2bong:

ya the other day

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

tef posted:

dynamic and static typing are for weenies.

hybrid typing is where it is at http://sage.soe.ucsc.edu/

you write types, eliminates them statically, or inserts runtime checks where it can't.

that's pretty neat in how everything gets a really specific type, but I can't see how you could write code like that without an ide figuring the types out for you

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

and what's with every research language having a hardon for overloading the EqualsOrGreaterThan operator?

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

rotor posted:

WFH is so much better when it's the computer that's doing all the work.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I am in posted:

and what's with every research language having a hardon for overloading the EqualsOrGreaterThan operator?

why does c++ apparently bitshift cout() by "some string" what a terrible idea. apparently it's an 'insertion operation' gently caress you c++

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

monoiconic metaprogrammable languages supremacy

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

MononcQc posted:

monoiconic metaprogrammable languages supremacy

if your language can't write itself without use of the string concatenation operator then, well, get a new language

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The following is an email I sent to John Carmack of Id Software after having watched his 2012 Quakecon Keynote Speech.

Hi John,

I watched the live stream of your keynote speech yesterday, and – as every year – I enjoyed it very much. I applaud your openness; it's always refreshing to hear some insights from the gaming industry that is otherwise very secretive. Thank you!

However, I believe your views on JavaScript and WebGL are short sighted.

Nobody pretends that the next AAA-title will be written in JavaScript. The community understands that it's magnitudes slower than native code, but the thing is: it just doesn't matter.

Many, many types of games don't need the absolute best and fastest environment to offer interesting gameplay and graphics. Take a look at X-Type on your iPad or iPhone for instance.

You yourself talked about how frustrating it is that you need 200 lines of code just to set up your screen for rendering on Windows, whereas in the olden days you could just push pixels to the screen with 3 lines of code.

We're there again: take 3 lines of JavaScript and you're drawing an image to a canvas element. Take 20 more lines and you have a rendering loop and a sprite that moves with the arrow keys. And all you need is a text editor and your favorite Browser. That is what JavaScript is all about.

When you're new to programming and still figuring out whether you like it, you don't want to read thick books. You want to see results. Fast. You want pictures dancing on the screen.

JavaScript is the language you should teach your son.

I backed the Oculus Rift Kickstarter yesterday and I fully expect to see significant development for it going on with WebGL. It doesn't matter that JS is "slow" when you're just trying stuff; ease of development is far more important.

Coupled with the openness of the Web, I wouldn't be surprised if much, if not most, of the research for applications of the Rift comes out of the JavaScript community.

Right-Click -> View Source is what made the web so successful and it's awesome that we now have this for 3D graphics as well.

Don't hate JavaScript. It's our generation's Apple II.

Regards,
Dominic

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Toady posted:

Regards,
Dominic

:stonk:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Toady posted:

The following is an email I sent to John Carmack of Id Software after having watched his 2012 Quakecon Keynote Speech.

Hi John,

I watched the live stream of your keynote speech yesterday, and – as every year – I enjoyed it very much. I applaud your openness; it's always refreshing to hear some insights from the gaming industry that is otherwise very secretive. Thank you!

However, I believe your views on JavaScript and WebGL are short sighted.

Nobody pretends that the next AAA-title will be written in JavaScript. The community understands that it's magnitudes slower than native code, but the thing is: it just doesn't matter.

Many, many types of games don't need the absolute best and fastest environment to offer interesting gameplay and graphics. Take a look at X-Type on your iPad or iPhone for instance.

You yourself talked about how frustrating it is that you need 200 lines of code just to set up your screen for rendering on Windows, whereas in the olden days you could just push pixels to the screen with 3 lines of code.

We're there again: take 3 lines of JavaScript and you're drawing an image to a canvas element. Take 20 more lines and you have a rendering loop and a sprite that moves with the arrow keys. And all you need is a text editor and your favorite Browser. That is what JavaScript is all about.

When you're new to programming and still figuring out whether you like it, you don't want to read thick books. You want to see results. Fast. You want pictures dancing on the screen.

JavaScript is the language you should teach your son.

I backed the Oculus Rift Kickstarter yesterday and I fully expect to see significant development for it going on with WebGL. It doesn't matter that JS is "slow" when you're just trying stuff; ease of development is far more important.

Coupled with the openness of the Web, I wouldn't be surprised if much, if not most, of the research for applications of the Rift comes out of the JavaScript community.

Right-Click -> View Source is what made the web so successful and it's awesome that we now have this for 3D graphics as well.

Regards,
Dominic

i want to put caltrops behind this person's tires every day for a month

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

tbh that guy's prety much right on the money

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

love his demand that javascript be taught to carmack's son

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I unironically thought webgl would be a cool platform until I dug a little and found a github javascript physics engine that grinds to 2fps when you crash one block into a stack of five blocks

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Socracheese posted:

I unironically thought webgl would be a cool platform until I dug a little and found a github javascript physics engine that grinds to 2fps when you crash one block into a stack of five blocks

who cares, eventually hardware will catch up

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I'd have totally killed that guy if the garbage collecter hadn't stopped the world as I was aiming.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

android.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

- web developers for the last 15 years