Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

JayKay posted:

I'd say your experience is a little bit different than most people.

While shopping for a used 4S here, I found a used iPhone 4 will be about $250-$350 depending on size/condition and a iPhone 4S will be about $350-$450. I paid $400 shipped on a mint 4S on eBay.

Cowboom, Amazon marketplace, and eBay seem to follow the above prices.

Edit: Here it seems like all the iPhones on Craigslist are either way overpriced, stolen, or both.

Nah its the generic retail experience to be honest.

Understand I'm a store front, Selling and Buying from soccer moms and people who need to sell their poo poo to pay a water bill. Not your average guy or girl buying a phone off craigslist. They expect to pay 200-300 for a phone, and expect to get 100 or less for one being sold to us. Think of it as an electronic pawn shop.

What im saying, is recently we bought http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55D6900WFXZA for 500 bucks from a dude. Wasnt stolen, Had receipts, and was barely 2 months old. Its currently in our living room, hell of a deal. Same dude that sold my store his vita for almost nothing.

Its out there if you're willing to wait for the right deal. Just dont expect the guy on craigslist to sell the poo poo for 50 bucks. But friends of friends of friends you should have no problem getting what you want for contract price or less, thats for drat sure.

And gently caress craigslist for phones anymore. Shits always stolen around here. Horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People are really so dumb that they will sell something for a third of what it's worth? I guess people really are just too lazy to deal with anything else.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

People are really so dumb that they will sell something for a third of what it's worth? I guess people really are just too lazy to deal with anything else.

Most people honestly have no idea how selling poo poo online works. I'm brutally honest with everyone I buy from and I think that helps a lot of people just pull the trigger on easy cash. I make some money, They get a quick buck and they dont have to gently caress with crazy people from craigslist in parking lots at gas stations.

While I'm ok waiting a few weeks and selling something at a higher value, A lot of people arnt.

To sum up, If you pay more than contract price for a phone, understand its because you were impatient and wanted it now. And thats ok! But better deals exist.

Sorry for the derail.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Yeah, I meant that as being a storefront you have a bit of an advantage in the market compared to joe gooney goon :glomp:

But yeah, no sense in buying full price from the carrier when you can easily wait a few months and pick up a used one for much cheaper. I'd advise people to hold off on picking up a 4S now with the new iPhone around the corner, but knowing how wacky the used iPhone market is, a flood of 4S's might not drive down the price at all. :v:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So I got an upgrade and got booted from being part of a unlimited data plan to having my phone capped at 2gb. I've been getting messages from Verizon about being at 50% and subsequently 75% of my prorated data usage for the month, even though I'm sitting around 670MB used. Is there any way to see what my prorated cap is?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

mango sentinel posted:

So I got an upgrade and got booted from being part of a unlimited data plan to having my phone capped at 2gb. I've been getting messages from Verizon about being at 50% and subsequently 75% of my prorated data usage for the month, even though I'm sitting around 670MB used. Is there any way to see what my prorated cap is?

Add the My Verizon Data widget to a screen.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SeaborneClink posted:

Add the My Verizon Data widget to a screen.
It's showing my total data usage for the billing period which is 670/2GB. I'm trying to find out what this prorated cap is and why I'm getting messages saying I've used so much.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mango sentinel posted:

Divide 2gb by how many days are in the cycle.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, we now know why Verizon included tethering in the family share stuff.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/31/verizon-to-stop-blocking-tethering-apps-settles-with-fcc-for-1/

They just got bitch-slapped by the FCC because of C Block rules and blocking tethering applications. They can no longer block the likes of PDANet or Barnacle.

I'm also not sure I agree with Engadgets interpretation of the press release here though.

quote:

The end result: Big Red will have to open up its airwaves and allow customers to circumvent its $20 a month tethering plan using apps from the Play store -- so long as you're on a "usage-based pricing plan." Though it's not explicitly stated, we assume that means those of you lucky enough to be grandfathered in to the unlimited data plans are left out.

I don't think they read it right. Verizon is stating in the press release that they are including tethering in their usage based plans because of this ruling, but I don't think they are going to be able to enforce tethering workarounds for unlimited users anymore. C block is C block regardless of your usage plan, so we should be able to do what we want with our data.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
That's how I took this too, bull.

If anything this is encouragement to me of "tether and replace your cable connection with a phone". Verizon is so stupid to not have done this anyway - they could basically take over internet service for a ton of the US this way, instead of preserving monopolies via comcast.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm racking up so much data usage streaming Olympic footage to my iPad all day through wireless tethering. I'm so glad I have unlimited!

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I'm hoping this also means I'll be able to use the built-in USB and WiFi tethering features on my Galaxy Nexus.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Does this mean I can drop my $30/mo unlimited hotspot plan and just grab a tether app, all while laughing in Verizon's face while I continue to loldata?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What phone do you have / do you have unlimited data? On my razr as of the ICS app I don't think there's anything you even have to do extra to tether. I use FoxFi and it works pretty well. I never use it but it's there in a time of need I suppose.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I think foxfi is the first app I've seen that's for a non-root wifi tether. Not sure why but before I remember seeing tons of paid apps and bluetooth only tethers before when I searched maybe 6 months ago? Interesting!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So, is restricting the use of the iPhone's personal hotspot feature a violation of that FCC ruling?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So, is restricting the use of the iPhone's personal hotspot feature a violation of that FCC ruling?

Since it applies to their Block C (700MHz band) license, no.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

AlexDeGruven posted:

Since it applies to their Block C (700MHz band) license, no.

Does that mean that an LTE iPhone would be though?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Does that mean that an LTE iPhone would be though?

Probably. But those don't yet exist.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

JP Money posted:

What phone do you have / do you have unlimited data? On my razr as of the ICS app I don't think there's anything you even have to do extra to tether. I use FoxFi and it works pretty well. I never use it but it's there in a time of need I suppose.

Droid Razr Maxx w. Android 4.0.4. I have unlimited data.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

In that case you could have been tethering all along even without root. Download foxfi and ditch that hotspot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That's how I took this too, bull.

If anything this is encouragement to me of "tether and replace your cable connection with a phone". Verizon is so stupid to not have done this anyway - they could basically take over internet service for a ton of the US this way, instead of preserving monopolies via comcast.

Verizon is extremely stingy with caps,but wireless networks do not have enough capacity to replace cable Internet, so don't kid yourself with this one.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

JP Money posted:

In that case you could have been tethering all along even without root. Download foxfi and ditch that hotspot.

I pry blow through about 20 gigs/mo with the hotspot alone. Is vzw going to be upset with me?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

No idea. It's unlimited though, how mad can they be :haw:

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

JP Money posted:

No idea. It's unlimited though, how mad can they be :haw:

That is the question..

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon is extremely stingy with caps,but wireless networks do not have enough capacity to replace cable Internet, so don't kid yourself with this one.

You mean the same cables that run the internet backbone after it hits the tower are somehow magically different? A different set of tubes, perhaps? (snicker).
Do you have any idea how many millions to billions of dollars verizon saved by rolling out the towers? Towers are not a cost long-term, they have an initial build cost which has been dropping from multiple millions to tens of thousands of dollars.

You do realize that the bandwidth in the towers is well above and beyond their usage, right? If it wasn't they would build more towers.

I plan to find out just how much they care, I'll do 100% tethered VPN traffic and aim for 1TB/month just to test out if they even care (I doubt it).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So uhhhh did Verizon already kill off the individual data plans? My little brother is on a family play with my parents and he wants to get a smartphone. I don't see a way to just give him the 2 gigs of data for $30 a month.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So uhhhh did Verizon already kill off the individual data plans? My little brother is on a family play with my parents and he wants to get a smartphone. I don't see a way to just give him the 2 gigs of data for $30 a month.

You should still be able to. Look for an option that says "I don't want to change my plan" or something to that effect.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Since the last page or so was about selling phones, I'll try to frame my question as best as I can. iPhone 4S on a Share Everything Plan with 4GB of data. My goal is to sell it a week or two before the September 12th event. Even though most iPhones I've sold have held their value quite well, I'd rather maximize the amount I can sell it for before the annoucement. Plus, unless Verizon gives me an early upgrade(doubtful), it'll be $600+ for a new phone.

Can I buy a >$50 dumbphone/old smartphone, use that for the ~2 week interim, and finally switch to the iPhone 5 upon launch? Any fees, problems keeping my number or glaring issues with this?

If not, are there any recommendations for a cheap phone to use in the meantime?

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 1, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

In some places, this is true.

I remember, though, reading an article on what it took to put up a WiMax tower (or to upgrade one). Part of the process was a Gigabit pipe to the tower complex.

Unless you have a huge number of people just sitting under that tower maxing out their connection, it's unlikely to overload the backhaul.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

AlexDeGruven posted:

In some places, this is true.

I remember, though, reading an article on what it took to put up a WiMax tower (or to upgrade one). Part of the process was a Gigabit pipe to the tower complex.

Unless you have a huge number of people just sitting under that tower maxing out their connection, it's unlikely to overload the backhaul.

That's still only 100 people per tower (@10 MBits, assuming equal use) and that's only for internet usage. Add in however many people are connected with phones and there isn't the saturation of towers and backend to handle what cable does.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Athenry posted:

That's still only 100 people per tower (@10 MBits, assuming equal use) and that's only for internet usage. Add in however many people are connected with phones and there isn't the saturation of towers and backend to handle what cable does.

The math does not work that way. You have client and server side compression,caches and other towers which mean aside from huge downloads people simply won't be maxxing the connection.

Even if the limit were even 10k people you'd have problems quickly.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
The problem isn't the backhaul from the tower site, the problem is with the wireless bandwidth. They would have to shrink cell sizes and put up more towers to support the kind of usage you get from residential broadband use, and residential neighborhoods are the most likely to fight tooth and nail against allowing new towers in their area.

And the math doesn't work that way more because all ISPs oversubscribe and rely on the fact that statistically most people aren't always using high rates of data rather than caches and the like.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hey Gnex nerds, when you turned in a phone for a warranty replacement based on radios, how exactly did you frame the issue? My wife's phone is getting screwy and I want to make sure I say what I should and get a minimum of hassle.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

So I just called verizon and cancelled my mobile hotspot. The woman that handled my call; I could hear in her voice that she was annoyed with me as soon as I asked to have it taken off. I wonder how many people are going to be calling in today to cancel theirs..

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Meldonox posted:

Hey Gnex nerds, when you turned in a phone for a warranty replacement based on radios, how exactly did you frame the issue? My wife's phone is getting screwy and I want to make sure I say what I should and get a minimum of hassle.

I made sure to mention that I checked it against other VZN phones AND other GNex'es in the same spot. That got the guy to say "Yeah, gotcha, I'll get a replacement sent"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

cuedotnet posted:

So I just called verizon and cancelled my mobile hotspot. The woman that handled my call; I could hear in her voice that she was annoyed with me as soon as I asked to have it taken off. I wonder how many people are going to be calling in today to cancel theirs..

I dont see why the rep would care one way or another.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

fordan posted:

The problem isn't the backhaul from the tower site, the problem is with the wireless bandwidth. They would have to shrink cell sizes and put up more towers to support the kind of usage you get from residential broadband use, and residential neighborhoods are the most likely to fight tooth and nail against allowing new towers in their area.

And the math doesn't work that way more because all ISPs oversubscribe and rely on the fact that statistically most people aren't always using high rates of data rather than caches and the like.

all it takes is a single riverbed set fairly aggressively and you just reduced all traffic bandwidth needs for a tower by 50-80% across the board, which nobody will ever know. oversubscription and the stuff that costs pennies per customer to resolve it simply make oversubscribing a complete non-issue. we're talking about mobile after all, so "subscriptions" don't have any effect on any particular tower because people tend to move around - unless you're in the same location 24/7.

Also, as I said cell tower costs have reduced by a factor of 10-100 over the past 5 years or even higher. So maybe I don't really get the argument of why more towers can't be built, or why it's even a question? Verizon is building towers constantly. Maybe by priority for profits but it's not like they simply aren't expanding.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 1, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

I dont see why the rep would care one way or another.
It probably gets old pretty fast when you have to do the same thing over and over. When I worked phones and daylight saving started/ended we would get tons calls from customers wanting to fix the time on their phone system and that really sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Roving Reporter posted:

Since the last page or so was about selling phones, I'll try to frame my question as best as I can. iPhone 4S on a Share Everything Plan with 4GB of data. My goal is to sell it a week or two before the September 12th event. Even though most iPhones I've sold have held their value quite well, I'd rather maximize the amount I can sell it for before the annoucement. Plus, unless Verizon gives me an early upgrade(doubtful), it'll be $600+ for a new phone.

Can I buy a >$50 dumbphone/old smartphone, use that for the ~2 week interim, and finally switch to the iPhone 5 upon launch? Any fees, problems keeping my number or glaring issues with this?

If not, are there any recommendations for a cheap phone to use in the meantime?

I can't answer everything, I think you may get hassled for activating a non-data phone and trying to keep your data plan going, but I'm not totally sure. For cheap phone, though, the Palm Pixi Plus is super cheap from Amazon and should be tolerable for a couple weeks. You even get to play with everyone's favorite dead mobile OS, WebOS! I haven't had to yet, but I've kept that in mind if I ever had a situation like yours.

• Locked thread