Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah sometimes when I cruising down the highway at 180 I think to myself I could get where I am going a lot faster at 240.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's all about how fast you can get from 0 to 60 once that stoplight turns green.

But in all seriousness... as awesome as superchargers and turbos are, it's all about $$$. Sure you might be able to afford a sick twin turbo setup or a turbo/supercharger mix, but in the end you have to remember not only fuel costs but mechanical costs as well. First time you send a piston through the block, will you be able to afford a new one? Will you be able to afford and maintain that kind of power? Will you be able to afford keeping tires on the back? Will you be willing to tread ever-so-gently when it's pouring rain out? And if it's your daily, will you be able to keep up the frequent maintenance needed?

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
I had an 05 GT which I loved, but I still owed money on it and the interest rate was murder because I bought the car when my credit was only so-so. I decided that I liked the new 2013 restyle so I picked one up last week after test driving it. The test drive went well -- the car has 3.73 gears in it and seemed peppy, but I wasn't driving a car I owned so I just kept it at normal speeds and acceleration. I buy the car and get it home. I've had it for about six days now and I gotta say... this is a car that has a great engine but a horrible transmission. The gear box is so awful at high RPM that I cant even begin to describe the feeling of dread that I get when driving it. Some of the time, the car doesn't like going into 3rd gear from second, and even worse are the times that the shifter gets deflected when shifting quickly out of second and into third, but because of the awful gearbox it goes back into first instead. Ouch.

When the car does find 3rd, it takes longer than I'd like so I lose a bit of momentum. Despite the 100 HP difference between the cars, my 2005 GT just felt faster. The biggest reason was because of this gearbox. It's just junk.

I'm stuck with the car now (it's really a beautiful car just the performance isn't quite what I want due to the shifting) for at least three years, so I'll probably get a short throw kit for it. Probably the MGW model. Frustrates me that I have to drop an extra $500 on this car before I can enjoy driving it.

Oh well.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I don't think this is a problem common to the transmission in our cars. My '11 shifts just fine still after 21k miles. The 2-3 is sometimes notchy and sometimes just refuses to get into gear without double-clutching, but that is a once-a-year rarity. I will say that I have missed more shifts in my last S2K and even my RX8 than I have with the Mustang, and the throw and gate seems very similar.

I would highly recommend scheduling an appointment with your dealer to get that checked out. That is what your warranty is for -- that is not a common problem and something they will need to fix. I think an aftermarket shifter will just make things worse.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Devyl posted:

It's all about how fast you can get from 0 to 60 once that stoplight turns green.

But in all seriousness... as awesome as superchargers and turbos are, it's all about $$$. Sure you might be able to afford a sick twin turbo setup or a turbo/supercharger mix, but in the end you have to remember not only fuel costs but mechanical costs as well. First time you send a piston through the block, will you be able to afford a new one? Will you be able to afford and maintain that kind of power? Will you be able to afford keeping tires on the back? Will you be willing to tread ever-so-gently when it's pouring rain out? And if it's your daily, will you be able to keep up the frequent maintenance needed?

Yeah. Probably. The secret is the morning after pill. Kids are expensive.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

optikalus posted:

I don't think this is a problem common to the transmission in our cars.

The Internet seems to disagree with you on this. As far as taking it to the dealer, the problem only is noticeable when going from second to third. Also third to fourth at higher RPM, fourth sometimes seems locked out. Other than that however I really just don't like the way the thing feels when I'm shifting it. It feels cheap to me. If a short throw is going to make me like the car better, I'm all for it. Right now it's an expensive outlay that I don't really enjoy driving. I keep thinking "man if this car shifted like my 05 it would be so much better." It nags at me. My other complaints with the car are pretty minor -- quality of the stock speakers is low but livable, exhaust note sounds pathetic, stuff like that. Stuff I can take measures to fix. The shifter replacement is aggravating because it's not a mod I'd normally make and the throw is actually short enough on the stock shifter, it just feels like crap. It's not a $500 purchase I would make in order to have the car be more personalized to me, it's a purchase I would make in order to make the car not suck. That's a pretty big distinction. I don't think taking the car to the dealer is going to do me any good especially on a warranty claim because I'm pretty sure that'll just end up being a pissing contest and I absolutely hate dealing with dealership service departments.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I thought the shifting problem on these is inside the transmission, not the linkage?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

roger wilco posted:

The Internet seems to disagree with you on this. As far as taking it to the dealer, the problem only is noticeable when going from second to third. Also third to fourth at higher RPM, fourth sometimes seems locked out. Other than that however I really just don't like the way the thing feels when I'm shifting it. It feels cheap to me. If a short throw is going to make me like the car better, I'm all for it. Right now it's an expensive outlay that I don't really enjoy driving. I keep thinking "man if this car shifted like my 05 it would be so much better." It nags at me. My other complaints with the car are pretty minor -- quality of the stock speakers is low but livable, exhaust note sounds pathetic, stuff like that. Stuff I can take measures to fix. The shifter replacement is aggravating because it's not a mod I'd normally make and the throw is actually short enough on the stock shifter, it just feels like crap. It's not a $500 purchase I would make in order to have the car be more personalized to me, it's a purchase I would make in order to make the car not suck. That's a pretty big distinction. I don't think taking the car to the dealer is going to do me any good especially on a warranty claim because I'm pretty sure that'll just end up being a pissing contest and I absolutely hate dealing with dealership service departments.

or could could continue to do what you've been doing so far, which is posting about it on the internet and not having anyone look into it, which I'm sure will solve your problem!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Or you can upgrade to the GT500 and get a better rock grinder.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Or you could swap it for the automatic which has no issues and can live comfortably behind 800hp stock. :smug:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
1 speed transmission is where it's at. I fully expect an all-electric version of the Mustang from Ford within the next 5-7 years.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Devyl posted:

1 speed transmission is where it's at. I fully expect an all-electric version of the Mustang from Ford within the next 5-7 years.

(Soon) :corsair: Back in my day our torque curved! All over the place!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Anyone have any guides on how to access rear suspension in a new edge mustang? I bought one with super stiff suspension in the back, and its adjustable, and its breaking my back and i need to get it to a softer setting :cry:

edit: previous owner cut up the trunk, im an idiot who didnt see that because of the sub box in the way.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 7, 2012

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Well, it's official: the 2015 will come with a 2.0 4 cylinder EcoBoost (currently used in the Focus ST) as an engine choice. The current 5.0 V8 is staying with the Mustang as well. Also, all 2015 models will now feature IRS.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Devyl posted:

Well, it's official: the 2015 will come with a 2.0 4 cylinder EcoBoost (currently used in the Focus ST) as an engine choice. The current 5.0 V8 is staying with the Mustang as well. Also, all 2015 models will now feature IRS.

Source? I'm not seeing anything about this.

Also, would the EcoBoost 4 cylinder replace the V6 option, or would there be three engine choices (not including the Cobra)?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Sources: 1, 2, 3

As for whether or not the V6 stays an option... In my opinion, if the EcoBoost delivers as promised, I can see the V6 staying as a mid-range model. Have the 4 cylinder as a cheap entry-level model, keep the V6 as a mid-range choice, and let the V8 stay on as the GT model.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I would bet this is a way to justify price increases on the V6 and V8. I assume that IRS will cost more, and they are likely to try to make the interior a bit nicer. Maybe the 4 banger takes the price point of the current V6, V6 around $30k, GT near $40k.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're probably going to try to match the genesis coupe, in price and power output.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What's amazing to me is that an entry level four cylinder Mustang will be about the same horsepower as a V8 from 2000.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Oh god, is this the part where I get to be crotchety and say my Mustang is one of the last of the Real Mustangs? I hope so!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Oh god, is this the part where I get to be crotchety and say my Mustang is one of the last of the Real Mustangs? I hope so!

By real do you mean a modern copy of a fastback generation 1? Or do you have a first generation mustang.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Elephanthead posted:

By real do you mean a modern copy of a fastback generation 1? Or do you have a first generation mustang.

I think he means normal Mustangs with solid axles.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Weinertron posted:

I would bet this is a way to justify price increases on the V6 and V8. I assume that IRS will cost more, and they are likely to try to make the interior a bit nicer. Maybe the 4 banger takes the price point of the current V6, V6 around $30k, GT near $40k.

Don't forget that the current generation Mustang cost more because they threw out the IRS in favor of a live axle in the final stages of design.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
On the surface I'm repulsed, but my heart loves this.

http://youtu.be/2UXKXIgLBhc

http://youtu.be/C7KpE_ag0Us

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

frozenphil posted:

I don't know what's more the car or the comments

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Micromancer posted:

I don't know what's more the car or the comments

Everyone seems to be dogpiling him for being "bad for the environment" or whatever, but do they expect any car they see at a race track to be environmentally friendly? Somehow it's different because it's a diesel!!!

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's because of, like, the black smoke and stuff. Normal cars don't make smoke, but diesels do. So that means diesels are bad.

But seriously though, what's up with the newest thing being diesel builds? Seems everywhere I turn someone has built or is building a diesel for their car.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Devyl posted:

But seriously though, what's up with the newest thing being diesel builds? Seems everywhere I turn someone has built or is building a diesel for their car.
A: It's the latest fad.

B: Diesels are actually well suite to a variety of performance applications. Due to lovely old technology though, they got a bad rap with the general public as being rattly, rough-driving crapmobiles suited only for industrial and heavy-load applications were ride quality were second priority to sheer power and fuel efficiency. Modern ECU, turbo and transmission technology, though has created a combination that makes for some serious little monsters with the right tuning, especially in smaller displacement applications.

There's a very good reason the FIA is doing its damnedest to write the Audi TDIs out of existence in the rulebook, yet they still continue to dominate at Le Mans :ssh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

There's a very good reason the FIA is doing its damnedest to write the Audi TDIs out of existence in the rulebook, yet they still continue to dominate at Le Mans :ssh:

Yeah well they did that for rotaries too, doesn't make them ideal for the average consumer. :smug:

Now for a real derail, does that car have a stick or slushbox?

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
I'd like to put a smokeshow into my Camaro :shobon:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

frozenphil posted:

This is a new level of 'stang. You can call it 'Stang 2 :ssj:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Devyl posted:

Sources: 1, 2, 3

As for whether or not the V6 stays an option... In my opinion, if the EcoBoost delivers as promised, I can see the V6 staying as a mid-range model. Have the 4 cylinder as a cheap entry-level model, keep the V6 as a mid-range choice, and let the V8 stay on as the GT model.

If I were a betting man I'd say there's eventually going to be a boosted V6 at some point in the next few years with the V8 being angry old man option and the range topper. I'm not sure how much life V8s have, rumors are the C7 is going to be packing a very much downsized V8.

It's kind of sad but the upcoming Fuel economy regulations are going to make it hard to sell lots of V8s.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The only thing that keeps me from buying one is I need a 4 door. I am to fing old to be crawling in and out of back seats to beat my children. I would buy that orange 4 door boss 302 today if it was for sale.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

kronix posted:

If I were a betting man I'd say there's eventually going to be a boosted V6 at some point in the next few years with the V8 being angry old man option and the range topper. I'm not sure how much life V8s have, rumors are the C7 is going to be packing a very much downsized V8.

It's kind of sad but the upcoming Fuel economy regulations are going to make it hard to sell lots of V8s.

So basically the F150 lineup? Yeah, I can see that. Sad day, though. V6s (boosted or not) will never sound as cool as V8s.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dick Burglar posted:

So basically the F150 lineup? Yeah, I can see that. Sad day, though. V6s (boosted or not) will never sound as cool as V8s.

They have speakers to take care of that now. They put them right under the dash to make vroom vroom sounds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

The only thing that keeps me from buying one is I need a 4 door. I am to fing old to be crawling in and out of back seats to beat my children. I would buy that orange 4 door boss 302 today if it was for sale.

Honestly, I wonder how viable it would be for Ford to basically do what Dodge did with the Charger/Challenger, but in reverse - design a sedan with as much parts commonality with the Mustang as possible, but don't call it a Mustang to avoid offending the purists. Call it a Falcon, even.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dick Burglar posted:

They should really look into using variable cams to give the car a little bit of overlap at idle for more of that serious muscle car sound. I know the tuners have done it but they should throw it in at the factory.

Put it in "teenage hooligan" mode to harass the neighbors and attract high school girls, drop it to the default "adult professional" setting to drive into the parking garage at work so your boss doesn't know you're showing up an hour late when he stumbles out of his SLS AMG after his four-martini, two-stewardess breakfast.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly, I wonder how viable it would be for Ford to basically do what Dodge did with the Charger/Challenger, but in reverse - design a sedan with as much parts commonality with the Mustang as possible, but don't call it a Mustang to avoid offending the purists. Call it a Falcon, even.

I read in MT this month that they are doing exactly that with the next generation. However, it is going to be a Lincoln and compete with the ATS - which shares the next-gen Camaro platform.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

It seems there's conflicting reports whether the 2015 will get the 2.0 or a 2.3 liter ecoboost...from what I've read the 2.3 should be good for ~330HP

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-focus-rs.html

330 horsepower from a 4 banger is borderline ridiculous and I'm all for it. It's certainly going to produce more torque than the 3.7 and will likely drop a decent amount of weight and it's rumored to be going into the next Focus RS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kronix posted:

It seems there's conflicting reports whether the 2015 will get the 2.0 or a 2.3 liter ecoboost...from what I've read the 2.3 should be good for ~330HP

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-focus-rs.html

330 horsepower from a 4 banger is borderline ridiculous and I'm all for it. It's certainly going to produce more torque than the 3.7 and will likely drop a decent amount of weight and it's rumored to be going into the next Focus RS.

Is engine tech really so good that we can get 330HP out of a production 2.3 and expect full engine / turbo life? Numbers like that would make me afraid it would be really finicky about oil quality, have short change intervals and not be able to run on 91 if 93 octane wasn't available.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 27, 2012