Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lungboy posted:

To go back to the Lysander love-in for a second, is it only the addition of allies that makes him worthwhile in 6th, or is there a pure SM list that he can work in? Tempted to paint him up for my oath this month but i have no interest in BA allies.

Challenges, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I just scored something of an eBay jackpot.

In addition to a Trygon, 12 gaunts and 24 hormagaunts, there was £100 worth of finecast nids bundled in too:
Venomthrope
Hive Guard
Tyrant Guard
Broodlord
Lictor
Pyrovore (that I'll be using as a Biovore, because lawl)
All for £50. Plus there was an extra Tyranid codex in there that I'll sell to get some money back.

The catch? The kid who built them didn't have any proper glue. The plastics are 'held' together by a cheap, really brittle poly cement that crumbles under any pressure. The finecast stuff was assembled with greenstuff (I guess he wasn't allowed superglue).
Luckily it all cleans up surprisingly well, the greenstuff just comes off cleanly and there aren't any defects with the finecast models at all.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PierreTheMime posted:

In this example, not necessarily, because you can make Look Out Sir! rolls for each Nob on a 4+ since they are all Characters. A squad of Nobs is pretty much as durable as they were in 5th Edition and you don't even need to buy special equipment in weird combinations to make the model different. Meganobz (which are not Characters) would work in the way you described.

Why is a squad of nobs considered all to be characters and meganobz aren't? I thought only the ICs and the Nob in a squad of Boyz would be a character for the purposes of LoS! ...?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lungboy posted:

To go back to the Lysander love-in for a second, is it only the addition of allies that makes him worthwhile in 6th, or is there a pure SM list that he can work in? Tempted to paint him up for my oath this month but i have no interest in BA allies.

People's first instinct is to put him with hammernators but that wastes half his abilities. The best place for him is with Sternguard, maybe in a drop pod. He adds so much survivability that they can actually survive a round or two longer than normal, and he twinlinks all their special ammo bolters.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Why is a squad of nobs considered all to be characters and meganobz aren't? I thought only the ICs and the Nob in a squad of Boyz would be a character for the purposes of LoS! ...?

That's the way it's supposed to work, but because GW never made the distinction in the rulebook technically each Nob is a character. This won't last past the next round of FAQs, which is expected to land sometime in September.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Ork Nobz are characters accoring the core rulebook, thus a unit of Nobz contains all characters. Ork Meganobz are not characters and thus do not get the same character-y privilege. Ork Nobz are characters so that they can act special when attached to a squad of Ork Boyz and GW probably figured they didn't need to make any special fuss about it.

Edit: Grah, beaten.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Lungboy posted:

I don't see why not, but th/ss Termies don't really need any help, they are still the gold standard for cc units. Maybe a lol Sternguard unit that gets to reroll all of their special bolter shots and doesn't get crushed in cc?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's the way it's supposed to work, but because GW never made the distinction in the rulebook technically each Nob is a character. This won't last past the next round of FAQs, which is expected to land sometime in September.

I don't know about that, Paladins are all characters, and what would the reasoning behind that be? I can only assume that GW wants them to be able to LoSir each other.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

@ Pierre & Beer: Thanks for the clarification.

Dominion posted:

People's first instinct is to put him with hammernators but that wastes half his abilities. The best place for him is with Sternguard, maybe in a drop pod. He adds so much survivability that they can actually survive a round or two longer than normal, and he twinlinks all their special ammo bolters.

I love Lysander with Sternguard. TL special issue ammo is boss. And as you say, he adds so much survivability to the squad.

And he's not half bad with tactical termies. He TLs their storm bolters, and gives them a way to soak low AP attacks. At least he did in 5th. I don't know how well that would work in 6th ed. Maybe even better thanks to LoS!.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

The Gate posted:

So, someone tell me how you'd go about stopping this unit, other than running a Rune Priest:

Eldrad
Karandras
10x Warlocks

Warlocks are characters, so you can't challenge Eldrad or big K unless he wants you to. Fortune makes the whole unit insanely hard to kill. Karandras can eat anything not AP 2 from shooting thanks to Eternal Warrior + Fortune, and puts out 7 S8 AP2 close combat attacks on the charge. Eldrad can also do similar things with anything not S8 or higher thanks to 3++ and Fortune. Both can LoS dangerous wounds to the Warlocks, which still have 4++ with rerolls. In combat it's even worse since the unit just shits out wounds and the two HQ's are effectively untargetable by fists and will murder them back in a round or two.

A Grey Knight Stormraven can cripple them with ease too, if you've brought one for some reason. Large blasts of auto-Perils will remove all those warlocks and hurt Eldrad into the bargin.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

Undead Tailfnz posted:

So after a year I'm finally having the painting of my Ultramarines finished (my first minis, got them used and about half of them were abandoned paint jobs most of the way through) and I was wondering what the general consensus was on the usefulness of Cato Sicarius in this edition. Is he mediocre and incredibly overcosted, or is he worth the points for what he brings to the table?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Moonwolf posted:

A Grey Knight Stormraven can cripple them with ease too, if you've brought one for some reason. Large blasts of auto-Perils will remove all those warlocks and hurt Eldrad into the bargin.

Haha, man, I totally forgot about them. GK actually have a ton of anti-psyker stuff that would seriously mess up their mojo, not to mention GRENADES, THROW ALL THE GRENADES psychotroke rad blind empyrean brain mines frags kraks psyk-outs throw them all at the Xeno filth!!!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Dominion posted:

Sounds like it could be worth a shot.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How do grenades even work? Does one model in the squad throw a grenade instead of shooting or can you throw the grenade and shoot all your guns?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phyresis posted:

I don't know about that, Paladins are all characters, and what would the reasoning behind that be? I can only assume that GW wants them to be able to LoSir each other.

I tried finding the reference but I recall it being mentioned by one of the people who attended that GW Studio Open Day last month. Basically they said that units of characters were never intended to LoSir each other and they would fix it. Pretty sure I read it on Faeit 212.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Phyresis posted:

Haha, man, I totally forgot about them. GK actually have a ton of anti-psyker stuff that would seriously mess up their mojo, not to mention GRENADES, THROW ALL THE GRENADES psychotroke rad blind empyrean brain mines frags kraks psyk-outs throw them all at the Xeno filth!!!

And when are all the GK grenades actually going to be throwable, since they're all special and have no entries in their FAQ yet?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
/\/\/\ Probably never, special grenades are just perks getting a charge off.

BadLlama posted:

How do grenades even work? Does one model in the squad throw a grenade instead of shooting or can you throw the grenade and shoot all your guns?

One guy can throw a grenade. It works just like having multiple weapons on a model. You pick one and use it for that round of shooting. Having a freebie S3 small blast or a S6 AP4 attack is nice.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Ok, makes more sens now. This new wound system is so bizarre and is seeming to be more confusing than Fantasy's.

Still one more thing concerning Flyers. Really the only thing I am not sure on is how far can the Stormraven move and still have the unit inside get out and assault. Is it still no more than a 6 move to get out and assault?

Move 6, get out 6, charge.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I tried finding the reference but I recall it being mentioned by one of the people who attended that GW Studio Open Day last month. Basically they said that units of characters were never intended to LoSir each other and they would fix it. Pretty sure I read it on Faeit 212.

So why are Paladins characters?

Moonwolf posted:

And when are all the GK grenades actually going to be throwable, since they're all special and have no entries in their FAQ yet?

Their rules don't really make sense as shooting weapons so I'd expect never. They're strong enough as it is! Empyrean brain mines are fuckin' absurd now. It's the best way to deal with those stupid Overlords with Mindshackle Scarabs. It's more likely that he'll durrrrrr through the round than your manly Son of the Emperor.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Ouch, yeah, the GK Raven would be baller at killing them now since perils ignores saves. Can you LoSir things like stat tests from various remove from play weapons? Might be another angle there.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

You can only LoSir wounds, and those type of powers don't cause wounds so yeah, they'd work. The problem is that most of those powers check Initiative, but Brocap Stern has dat Strength test and he'd probably blow them out.

My favorite unit of characters to abuse are Wolf Guard because you can precision shot 10 plasma shots into someone's face.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

Their rules don't really make sense as shooting weapons so I'd expect never. They're strong enough as it is! Empyrean brain mines are fuckin' absurd now. It's the best way to deal with those stupid Overlords with Mindshackle Scarabs. It's more likely that he'll durrrrrr through the round than your manly Son of the Emperor.

I don't see how. Both probably go off, so your Empyrean brain mine guy hits himself, and the necron stands there drooling. It's the retard fight of 40k.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phyresis posted:

I have no idea. Why aren't Meganobz?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

So they can all precision strike. I'd imagine they'd make a "you can't look out sir a wound onto another Character" ruling in the FAQ.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I don't see how. Both probably go off, so your Empyrean brain mine guy hits himself, and the necron stands there drooling. It's the retard fight of 40k.

50% chance to roll 10 or less on 3D6, 66% chance to roll 3-6 on D6

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So they can all precision strike. I'd imagine they'd make a "you can't look out sir a wound onto another Character" ruling in the FAQ.

So they just arbitrarily granted this ability to Paladins and Nobz, but not Meganobz or Thunderwolf Cavalry?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

50% chance to roll 10 or less on 3D6, 66% chance to roll 3-6 on D6

I said probably.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I thought only Independent Characters got that precision strike rule, its all characters?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phyresis posted:

So they just arbitrarily granted this ability to Paladins and Nobz, but not Meganobz or Thunderwolf Cavalry?

That's why it's so confusing. If the intent was to make Nobz and Paladins special and give them precision strike, they should have also given it to other character units. Or made a new character type like "hero" or "elite" or something. On the other hand if units of characters weren't supposed to get this benefit why give anything to Paladins?

This is why I think they're going to take that stuff out. I feel like the Paladin entry was a mistake, and the Nobz entry will be limited to upgrades only.

BadLlama posted:

I thought only Independent Characters got that precision strike rule, its all characters?

Yes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BadLlama posted:

All characters. The differences between a character and an independent character are:

1) joining and leaving units
2) pass look out sir on 2+
3) tests to regroup on normal leadership if under 25% instead of snake eyes
4) can transmit (and receive) special rules to (and from) the attached unit if the rule allows
5) special effects persist if the character leaves the unit (unless otherwise noted such as deathmarks' 2+ wound thing)

all on page 39.

Precision shot (and precision strike for CC) is on page 63, and applies to all characters.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Now that there's a 6" disembark rule for transports, has Drop Pod play gotten any better/consistent?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finished assembling my necrons, yay. Time to start painting in time for NOVA.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Now that there's a 6" disembark rule for transports, has Drop Pod play gotten any better/consistent?

That and the new reserves rolls but like, I still don't see the point of dropping a bunch of 10-man Marine Squads (and I guess Dreads) right in front of your enemy. I never understood how that army is supposed to win, even though the concept is obviously awesome. That's how Space Marines do.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Phyresis posted:

That and the new reserves rolls but like, I still don't see the point of dropping a bunch of 10-man Marine Squads (and I guess Dreads) right in front of your enemy. I never understood how that army is supposed to win, even though the concept is obviously awesome. That's how Space Marines do.

I don't like the idea of dropping Tac Squads (I prefer regular transports for mobility and screening). But Ironclads (or even regular MM/HF Dreads) can wreak havoc in the backfield, and Sternguard are pretty good at busting big transports and/or ravaging gunlines. Not to mention that the dropped Pod itself can screw up your opponent's mobility and LoS, etc.

Always seems better on paper than it plays out in practice though. Sigh.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Ironclads lost the ability to lock into an unloseable combat, though, and you are dropping directly into melta range.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Ironclads lost the ability to lock into an unloseable combat, though, and you are dropping directly into melta range.

Ya, that does suck. Still getting used to 6th edition. :/

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just a question regarding Tau Commanders, if I take a hard-wired multi-tracker does that mean I could take 3 weapons?

Haven't been able to find a solid answer on this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

moths posted:

Awesome! I have to dig through my parents' basement next time I visit, but I'm pretty sure I'll need at least three and probably the officer. Can you send me a PM at mr4354 @ yahoo dot com?

Done!

With the rumor of lots of new models coming out, and also some old out of print stuff coming back in fine cast, I hope Steel legion comes back, along with all the other old school guard regiments.

Ironclads are still awesome with their Armor 13 on the front, they'll still be hard to take down even with a power fist armed marine. Even with the our weapons are no use rule, the unit still has to fail a leadership test, so the ironclad could run them down.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ijyt posted:

Just a question regarding Tau Commanders, if I take a hard-wired multi-tracker does that mean I could take 3 weapons?

Haven't been able to find a solid answer on this.

You can take 3 weapons without a hard-wired multi-tracker.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
My little brother just informed me that he bought me 25 GK Paladins, Draigo, and a Dreadknight for my birthday this weekend. Since I haven't seriously played 40k since 3rd edition, does this army sound full of bad news? I've heard rumor of this so-called 'Draigo-wing", and any gimmick with a nickname that rolls of the tongue like that is bound to have some balance issues at the least. Should I buy something to bolster it, or abandon ship?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

My little brother just informed me that he bought me 25 GK Paladins, Draigo, and a Dreadknight for my birthday this weekend. Since I haven't seriously played 40k since 3rd edition, does this army sound full of bad news? I've heard rumor of this so-called 'Draigo-wing", and any gimmick with a nickname that rolls of the tongue like that is bound to have some balance issues at the least. Should I buy something to bolster it, or abandon ship?

What do you want out of the army? Do you think Grey Knights are cool or lame (hams are very divided about them in particular)? Do you like Terminators? Are you a competitive player?

Honestly Draigowing is both bland and not very good, especially not in 6th edition.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

I considered that coming from the other way(IG main, SM secondary). I think you can drop the melta on the infantry sqauds for flamers and make the CCS a better melta boat. Single shot BS melta is pretty lame and you would still have 5 creditable melta threats. The librarian is a very hard question to answer, you would have to retool to have him gate around with a blob or TH/SS termies, or drop a melta bunker for a vet squad. Also I am not sold on the Riflemen. I would rather run 2 hydras for consistent AA and have them sometimes shoot at ground targets then the Dreads being the other way around, Also dreads are pretty spendy in a world of Hydras and/or 3 autocannon HWTs ordered around by a CCS. Finally you are buying an astropath to make a single vendetta come on with a 2+ giving up a pretty awesome feature of the vendetta having dudes inside for Linebreaker/scoring/backline threat.

But I do love the PIS chimera screen. I used that last night and I am pretty sold on it. It gives you two layers of bubble wrap for your melta boxes and an awesome mid field push for objectives AND Infantry squads with a flamer are a creditable anti infantry threat.

Yeah yours is one of the opinions I was waiting for. This post makes a lot of sense, let's see:

CCS, 4 melta, Astro, Chimera - 175
PCS, 4 flamer, Chimera - 105
5x IF, flamer, Chimera - 550
3x HWT with ACs - 75
Vets with trip melta - 100
Vendetta - 130

Lib w/ TDA and SS - 140
1x meltabunker - 220
5x TH/SS - 200
Stormtalon w/skyhammer - 155

Swapping IG for primary makes things easier. I like Stormtalons and want to buy one anyway so this would use it. The CCS gets better, there's more reason for the Astro since it brings in the Vendetta and the Stormtalon, I have a decent amount of scoring and decent air and anti-air. Thunder Termies do what they do best and them with the Gating TDA/SS Librarian has done well for me in the past.

Question, I've seen the infantry/Chimera wall thing brought up but are people intending to use it as a bunch of individual squads in Chimeras or as a layer of infantry blobbing to bubblewrap and then the Chimeras advancing empty? It's not a strategy I've encountered over here so I haven't really seen how it's supposed to be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Phyresis posted:

What do you want out of the army? Do you think Grey Knights are cool or lame (hams are very divided about them in particular)? Do you like Terminators? Are you a competitive player?

Honestly Draigowing is both bland and not very good, especially not in 6th edition.

I bought some GK's a while back cause I wanted to paint them. They were a gimmick army back in the day, and I never had Termy spam on my mind. Is there any way to make them at least viable? I'd prefer to play Orks if I had to go into a game with a 10% chance of winning it.

• Locked thread