Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I can think of two instances where studios actually said "this sucks".

Die Another Day was the (previously) most successful Bond movie, but it was so bad the studio opted to shitcan the franchise and start over. And it paid off.

Batman and Robin was a massive success. The studio said "this sucks" and refused a sequel, opting to shitcan the franchise and start over. And you can see that paid off to the tune of billions of dollars.

I think it basically comes down to risk assessment. Considering both movies cost a shitload to make it was going to be a massive gamble on any further movies when critical reception was just that poor.

This doesn't always happen, Transformers is just poo poo but still makes bank regardless. Interestingly the third one made less money in America but made a shitload more overseas. Dunno what it is about robots shooting each other that makes people love these movies.

Vagabundo posted:

You know what didn't make the studios go "this sucks" and can the franchise?

Didnt these all cost only tens of thousands to make? You could poo poo out a hundred terrible sequels and still wheel home barrelfuls of money.

*edit, the original was like 15000 but the sequels were 3 and 5 millions respectively. I guess actors actually want to get paid for these ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I always thought the first one on its own was a very solid found footage horror movie. It is legitimately one of the few movies in the past 2 decades that I can't watch by myself at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really loved Paranormal Activity 3, almost more than the first one. That said, this teaser didn't really grab me.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm just happy that Saw is over. They can make as many Paraormal Activies as they want, just as long as Saw is done forever.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Handsome Dead posted:

I'm just happy that Saw is over. They can make as many Paraormal Activies as they want, just as long as Saw is done forever.

The last...4 were pretty rough, but I love the poo poo out of that series.

Also, the 5th installment had a great teaser poster, despite being the worst in the series:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vagabundo posted:

You know what didn't make the studios go "this sucks" and can the franchise?

You'll go Paranormal 4 Activity!

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
PA 4 is using Saw 7s tagline "All Of my Work has been leading to this"

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

couldcareless posted:

I always thought the first one on its own was a very solid found footage horror movie. It is legitimately one of the few movies in the past 2 decades that I can't watch by myself at night.

Ugh, I hated the first one. The day scenes were too long and boring. The second one was better in that sense. The third had too many fake scares so it ended up being more funny than scary.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Batman and Robin was a massive success. The studio said "this sucks" and refused a sequel, opting to shitcan the franchise and start over. And you can see that paid off to the tune of billions of dollars.
It was not a "massive success" relative to its budget, and there's no way the studio would have taken eight years to get another movie out if it were.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

gmq posted:

Ugh, I hated the first one. The day scenes were too long and boring. The second one was better in that sense. The third had too many fake scares so it ended up being more funny than scary.

The only thing I even remember about the first one is how much I hated the male lead. What a loving douchebag that guy was.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Paranormal Activity 4: Who Wants to Bet That Someone Gets Dragged Away and Another Gets Thrown At The Camera? Oren Pelli Puts It In Everything He's Ever Done!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Slasherfan posted:

PA 4 is using Saw 7s tagline "All Of my Work has been leading to this"

Maybe we can have a crossover. Just like we had Freddy vs Jason we can now Have Paranormal Activity vs. Saw. Think of the crossover appeal!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I really like the fact that they brought on the directors of Catfish for 3 and 4.

I'm not gonna watch them, I just like it.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Madkal posted:

Maybe we can have a crossover. Just like we had Freddy vs Jason we can now Have Paranormal Activity vs. Saw. Think of the crossover appeal!

One of Jigsaws death trap factorys are haunted! Now victims not only have to avoid traps but have to avoid pissed off ghosts also.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Slasherfan posted:

One of Jigsaws death trap factorys are haunted! Now victims not only have to avoid traps but have to avoid pissed off ghosts also.

Too obvious. Seeing as Jigsaw has been dead for at least 4 movies now, what it should be about is Ghost Jigsaw putting the ghosts/demons from paranormal activity into new ghost death traps because they don't fully appreciate their un-lives.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Footage of Jigsaw sleeping for three hours

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A sequel to Batman and Robin was impossible because there's no way you could put any more nipples and dicks on screen without earning a hard R.

Prequel to Paranormal Activity: a boring guy does nothing for 1 hour and dies. His body is taken away and the camera remains stationary for another hour on a stack of magazines doing nothing, and then a page flutters. The last shot of the movie is the douchebag from part 1 signing the bank loan.

Somehow this will make billions of dollars.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 1, 2012

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Jigsaw not actually dead, runs for president, wins, blows up Alaska.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A sequel to Batman and Robin was impossible because there's no way you could put any more nipples and dicks on screen without earning a hard R.

Batman and Robin had a hard R. :confused:

Right in the center

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I know there had to be a day on set where Clooney in full costume looked at himself in the mirror and thought "Uh oh."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Didn't some French fashion designer design those?

Atrocious. That movie sucked so bad it isn't even bad in a good way.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

kiimo posted:

You might be thinking of Armani's involvement with Judge Dredd.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Glamorama26 posted:

I know there had to be a day on set where Clooney in full costume looked at himself in the mirror and thought "Uh oh."

He mostly thought of the paycheque, from what I hear. Meanwhile, everyone watching wondered why that nice old butler had run up a skintight rubber costume for his niece and put nipples on it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kiimo posted:

I really can not wait for next weeks How did this get made whne they discuss that movie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sockser posted:

Right in the center

I hope O'Donnell had a bet with someone that he could get a publicity shot published elbowing Silverstone in the boob.

"Here's your three dollars, Chris."
"Nice."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wish every Batman would give up a utility belt for a codpiece.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just imagine a Clooney Batman / Nicolas Cage Superman Justice League movie.

Try to.

:allears:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sockser posted:

Right in the center

Over in GBS, there's a thread for "bad movies that aren't that bad". But someone brought up a review by the Comics Alliance about what was good and bad on Batman and Robin and why it ultimately failed in the eyes of the WB. When they start talking about the codpieces there's a classic line...

quote:

Dick's armor is a codpiece

Anyway, looking at that photo, Clooney's got an expression between :smug: and utterly disgusted at himself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To me his expression is more resentment, glaring out at the Batman fans thinking "You people made me do this."

bobkatt013 posted:

I really can not wait for next weeks How did this get made whne they discuss that movie.

If they could get Joel Schumacher on to defend it or apologize for it that would be the best thing in the universe period.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Friend and I were discussing Bond posters and trailers in the bar earlier, he mentioned 'You Only Live Twice', the "antigravity" one... I'd completely forgotten that one existed:

click>big

Bond gives zero fucks as to the laws that bind other men to the earth.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

His big toes must be loving strong.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have no idea what's going on in that image.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Handsome Dead posted:

I have no idea what's going on in that image.

The late 60's.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
gently caress me that is a great poster. I need it. They are launching a fuckoff big rocket at his rear end and he still gives no fucks.

No really, I need this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Friend and I were discussing Bond posters and trailers in the bar earlier, he mentioned 'You Only Live Twice', the "antigravity" one... I'd completely forgotten that one existed:

click>big

Bond gives zero fucks as to the laws that bind other men to the earth.

Looks like Bond is going to get a Soviet missile up his arse soon.

edit ^^^^^beaten.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
That is an amazing poster. Very "haters gonna hate".

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Dali would probably look at that poster and be all "Whoa, dudes, need to tone that poo poo down."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ez posted:

That is an amazing poster. Very "haters gonna hate".

I think the important thing everyone is missing is that there's a reason Bond can hang off the side of a missile silo like there was no gravity.

Look at his feet. He's wearing tabi boots, like those that ninjas wear.

James Bond is a ninja.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Ah, James Bond posters. Here's some good ones:

And two really bad ones:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

And two really bad ones:

I see one bad poster and one amazing poster.