Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you are getting an old bike that runs well don't get all worried about the weaknesses/strengths especially if you're a new rider just looking to get into riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
I disagree. My first bike was a 1980 CB650. It ran well. But had charging issues that only showed up when I was riding it continuously. I got stranded a few times.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

n8r posted:

If you are getting an old bike that runs well don't get all worried about the weaknesses/strengths especially if you're a new rider just looking to get into riding.

This is exactly how I became a motorcycle mechanic instead of a motorcycle rider.

Edit: nevermind I thought you were speaking in regards to mechanical issues not performance.
In that respect, an old bike is an old bike. Don't worry too much about performance.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 1, 2012

HornyBoy123
Mar 4, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh I was thinking of the early ones 79-82.

Your issues seem to be the issues with the early models as well: poor charging and bad reg/rec. Also the rotors can be an issue and the windings on the magneto seem to go out often.

xd posted:

I disagree. My first bike was a 1980 CB650. It ran well. But had charging issues that only showed up when I was riding it continuously. I got stranded a few times.

Agreed. I had my '82 CB650SC Nighthawk and I went out for a bit and 5 minutes before I got home it started to drizzle while my bike was uncovered in the drive-way. Went to turn it on the next day and it shorted out; mind you this is after I spent about 3 weeks getting it even semi-functional.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've been grappling for ages with a dilemma, and a sudden influx of cash (not enough to buy a new bike outright, but enough for a fairly chunky deposit + trade-in on my current bike to make something new pretty drat cheap) has pushed it up a bit.

My current bike is an 09 Aprilia Shiver, from new. I really, really like this bike. But... newer, shinier!

What I'm looking for in a bike is pretty simple. I commute to work every day (only a short distance but through heavy traffic) so anything likely to start most mornings will be fine, but it has to make me smile every time I see it and be a bit different.

So far there are three main contenders, plus three outsiders.

The first main contender is... my current bike, with 2 or 3k (pounds) spent on it. New exhaust, belly pan, seat hugger, some carbon fibre, maybe a frame polish and respray of the plastics and uprated suspension. None of this really fixes the only gripes I have about the bike - it has a ridiculously wide turning circle which makes it a pig in really heavy traffic and when trying to park in narrow spots, and it has exactly zero storage space (and no luggage available for it that doesn't look like poo poo).

The second is a Street Triple. This came a *really* close second when I got the Shiver - ultimately it lost on the front headlamps and flyscreen which I thought looked cheap and tacky and the fact Aprilia were offering 0% finance and Triumph were offering 17%(!), as well as my brand loyalty to Aprilia. Well, on the new model they've replaced the front headlights, and I've seen dealers offering interest-free finance for the first year on it, which puts it right back into contention. However it kinda fails the "something different" test, I see them everywhere and a guy at work has one in the exact colour and with the exact accessories I want. Yeah, I'm that vain (and dumb enough to get really confused and try and drive away the wrong bike).

The third is a Kawasaki Z750. I really like the look of this bike, I like the brand, I know it'll be bulletproof, but after a lifetime of singles and twins I really don't know if I can live with an I4. (Attempting to explain the technical superiority of the layout will not be well-received).

The three outliers are either too expensive, (maybe) too different, and/or too American, but I'm really having a hard time discounting them.

First up - Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC. If you've not seen one in the flesh, it's just achingly beautiful, photos just can't do it justice. Also stupid powerful, and the APRC thing is cool as balls. Stupidly expensive though, and has all the problems of the Shiver written extra-large. However I just know that if i buy any bike that isn't this, there'll be that tiny bit of regret at the back of my brain.

Second - promise you won't laugh - Harley Night Rod Special. Yeah, it's a Harley, but loving look at it. It looks like the kind of bike your mum used to warn you about hanging out with.

Third - Royal Enfield Clubman. Yeah, a 25hp engine in a 50-year-old chassis doesn't quite look at home in this company, but of all these bikes this is the one that provokes the strongest stirring deep down in my soul. My Dad was in the Ton-Up Club and spent the fifties kicking poo poo out of poncy mods on Vespas and that poo poo is in the genes man. Also it costs literally half of what the last two bikes do, and I really like polishing things. Oh and unlike all the rest it has at least enough storage for a set of waterproofs and a disc lock under that rear seat cowl.

So come on, talk me out of all these ridiculous ideas, or throw in your own. And if anyone says the words Ninja 250 or SV I will personally beat you to death with the Aprilia toolkit that doesn't actually fit under the seat of my Shiver.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
My tuppence ha'penny:

* V4 APRC will be stupidly expensive to buy and run and a PITA in the city. Sounds like a good way to spoil the V4 for yourself.

* Blinging a Shiver = a Shiver worth pretty much exactly the same amount of money. Will a good shock help you in your urban commute?

* Street triples are great allrounders and you could just gear it way down, but if you want something different that isn't new and nickable, obviously that isn't it. Telepathic wheeliabilty though.

* Harleys are terrible commuter bikes, at least outside of Colorado. No-one will buy it after you put four figures on the odo and the terrible, terrible quality sort of explains that because, based on the horror that is the Guildford Harley dealership carpark, it will turn into a heap of rust after one winter and/or with regular wet rides. Also terrible in cities due to dumb stylish ergos and weighing a shitload. If you like unusual and retro, maybe grey import a late-model Thunderbird? At least you get aircon and an awesome Jag-developed V8.

* Zeds are nice looking and fours can be exciting, believe it or not. To me the Hornet is a much better city bike (awesome at low speed maneuvers, really nice build quality, drops well with the factory-option R&G kit, CBS/ABS), also available cheaper as you can get an '07 with all the options for very little.

* EFI Enfield would be a nice city bike. But the Clubman's hardly optimised for the city and the go doesn't match the look. I reckon it's got to be the Trials

http://www.royal-enfield.com/motorcycles/trials

with accessory 'zorst. When you dent it, it'll just look legit. The problem, as you know, is that like a Daewoo Matiz, almost anything you pay is too much because you won't be able to give it away used.

My personal ideas:

If you like arguing with your neighbours, get a very impolite supermoto conversion. YZ426, Goldspeeds, naff sticker kit you know the drill. Get one with a set of dirt wheels and find an MX track for weekend fun/leg breaking. Alternative two, blow the budget on a Nuda R. Really nicely put together and the F motor still gets stupid MPG. Alternative 3, old M900 with a 944 kit and FCRs, for great hoonage. Alternative 4: do you have lanes? Are there stairs on your commute? Then a KTM Freeride 350 but you have to have a roadbike as backup. Wait for November and find a dealer desperate to offload it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the CB advice guys, I went and had a look at it earlier tonight and it's actually in pretty good shape, if a little grubby. We couldn't start it tonight, because he had the exhaust off for cleaning, but I'm assured it was starting and running well the last time he took it out (which was a few months ago, so probably needs the fuel drained and maybe some seafoam/redex). The front brake doesn't work right now because there's not enough fluid in it and the front brake master has got a couple of stuck screws on the filler cover that I reckon an impact driver will take care of. The tyres are old but probably useable for pootling around.

In short, I lowballed the gently caress out of it at £300 and to my amazement he said OK, and he's going to put the pipes back on, drain the tank, get her started and deliver it to my place.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think the XR1200 would make a better commuter than the Night Rod, as far as Harley options go. NRS ergos are... uncomfortable. And this is coming from somebody who is fine with a cruiser position and Harleys in general. Muscle bikes like that are made to ride about 1/4 mile at a time and they feel like it.

I test rode a Z750 and it underwhelmed me. It felt sprung like my vstar, just a little lighter. Plus it was unacceptably buzzy (for me, anyway).

Have you looked at V-twin Tuonos? Those seem a little more practical than the V4R APRC (do you need the APRC? that's a SPENSIVE package).

Or you could make the right choice and get a Buell!! Sounds like you need a Lightning to me. Buells are the best motorcycles in the world.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

If you like arguing with your neighbours, get a very impolite supermoto conversion. YZ426, Goldspeeds, naff sticker kit you know the drill. Get one with a set of dirt wheels and find an MX track for weekend fun/leg breaking. Alternative two, blow the budget on a Nuda R. Really nicely put together and the F motor still gets stupid MPG. Alternative 3, old M900 with a 944 kit and FCRs, for great hoonage. Alternative 4: do you have lanes? Are there stairs on your commute? Then a KTM Freeride 350 but you have to have a roadbike as backup. Wait for November and find a dealer desperate to offload it.

I like motards, and you are a terrible person for putting this thought in my head, although brand loyalty and an inherent masochistic streak would force me to go for an SXV. However I also have the same basic body shape as an orang-utan and that seat height will leave me looking very silly at lights.

I like the Monster too but can't help feel it'd be a step back from the Shiver - even the new 900s make less power. Also I live in London and Monsters are the bike of the Chelsea poser.

clutchpuck posted:

I think the XR1200 would make a better commuter than the Night Rod, as far as Harley options go. NRS ergos are... uncomfortable. And this is coming from somebody who is fine with a cruiser position and Harleys in general. Muscle bikes like that are made to ride about 1/4 mile at a time and they feel like it.

I test rode a Z750 and it underwhelmed me. It felt sprung like my vstar, just a little lighter. Plus it was unacceptably buzzy (for me, anyway).

Have you looked at V-twin Tuonos? Those seem a little more practical than the V4R APRC (do you need the APRC? that's a SPENSIVE package).

Or you could make the right choice and get a Buell!! Sounds like you need a Lightning to me. Buells are the best motorcycles in the world.

Literally the only thing that attracts me to the Night Rod is the look of it, to be honest, none of the rest of the Harley range has that "Might set light to any other bike that looks at it funny" vibe about them.

I have looked - very long and hard and sometimes with tissues at hand - at the old Tuono but I've had a Mille R (that, courtesy of a Stepney minicab driver with individualistic ideas about lane discipline, went without a fairing for 3 months) so I feel like I've been there done that. And gently caress it, APRC is only an extra grand and I'd pay that much just for the opportunity to explain the system in the pub. Oh your M5 has launch control does it? What about wheelie control, bitch?

Hmmm... Buells... I'd forgotten about them. They are very silly bikes. I *like* silly bikes. Didn't they go out of business though? Not sure I'd feel comfortable buying a second-hand bike previously owned by someone silly enough to own a Buell.

Pity about the Z750 though - I'll have to put it in that same mental category as the Yamaha MTs - looks the poo poo, is poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ReelBigLizard posted:

Thanks for the CB advice guys, I went and had a look at it earlier tonight and it's actually in pretty good shape, if a little grubby. We couldn't start it tonight, because he had the exhaust off for cleaning, but I'm assured it was starting and running well the last time he took it out (which was a few months ago, so probably needs the fuel drained and maybe some seafoam/redex). The front brake doesn't work right now because there's not enough fluid in it and the front brake master has got a couple of stuck screws on the filler cover that I reckon an impact driver will take care of. The tyres are old but probably useable for pootling around.

In short, I lowballed the gently caress out of it at £300 and to my amazement he said OK, and he's going to put the pipes back on, drain the tank, get her started and deliver it to my place.

Awesome. I hope you enjoy it. Hit up SOHC.net if you need any maintenance advice.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The third is a Kawasaki Z750. I really like the look of this bike, I like the brand, I know it'll be bulletproof, but after a lifetime of singles and twins I really don't know if I can live with an I4. (Attempting to explain the technical superiority of the layout will not be well-received).

Third - Royal Enfield Clubman. Yeah, a 25hp engine in a 50-year-old chassis doesn't quite look at home in this company.

I don't know what made it to the UK, but what about melding these requirements in such a way that you keep your bike, keep some of those notes in the bank, avoid trade-in ripoff, double that Enfield hp, get the bulletproof quality, and keep the twin with a kicker? They kept them going until at least 83 I believe, but I sense you're not a fan of the stepped seat era.

I know I'd be smiling.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Welp, first time motorcyclist here, just passed MSF course, and asked earlier about this one:

Craigslist 2 posted:

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 - $2500
Very good condition and runs strong. Removeable windshields (two sizes,) backrest, and saddle bags. Great starter bike and selling to trade-up to larger cruiser. 10,700 miles, $2,500 OBO. Please reply via email with questions.

I'm going for it. Checked it out today and the major problems I noticed are:

1. Rear tire is low on tread - he is replacing it before I buy it, because that's the only part that failed inspection for it.

2. The guy only rode it like 3 times a year for the last 2 years (previous owner was a friend of the seller's who the seller believes, but cannot prove, maintained it quite well).

3. He himself hasn't changed any of the fluids ever. That said, he barely rode it, either.
Oil: good level but brown, not surprising. Needs to be changed.
Coolant: pretty low, but good colour.
Brake fluids: Good
Gas: Not a weird color or anything, didn't see any rust in the tank.
The suspension felt just fine, though he hasn't changed the suspension oil since he got it. I'm guessing I'll just have to replace suspension oil when I get it, and that doesn't seem to hard, is this true?

Given that it's been sitting a while and not maintained but not ridden much either, I'm guessing the carburetors will need some cleaning, but I didn't feel any of the signs (from this guide) of a really gunked carburetor. Anyway, cleaning a carburetor myself is something I wanted to learn to do either way.

All said, it rode really nicely (he let me test ride it :cool:) from what I could tell, as a new rider and riding it in gears 1-4. It was clean and didn't show any signs of drops.

It also had a weird intermittent whistling sound after shutoff, and some googling reveals that this is pretty normal in vulcans \/:shobon:\/

Note, book prices are like $2500 for this particular vehicle. Also note, he's including the saddlebags and yes I do want them, so that's worth something.

Anyway, thanks for previous advice, and anything you guys have to say about it now would be appreciated. Considering I'm still making him replace the tire first, but that I'll have to change some fluids myself, do you think I'm getting a fair price at $2500?

Potato Sheriff
Aug 7, 2004

I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important - like a league game or something.
I recently took the MSF course and am looking to get my first bike outside of small 50-100cc old dirtbikes 15 years ago. I've been reading these forums and have learned a ton. I went into a shop today to get a helmet and jacket, and started telling the guy this story and that I'd like to get a 650 or smaller sportbike/naked type standard or something a little older like the Kawasaki above. Turns out a guy is selling an 09 ER-6n with under 4k miles on consignment in his shop. It felt good sitting on it, and my feet touched flat with regular sneakers on. It felt lightweight enough, and he said it was comparable to an SV. It has a parallel twin motor, and it ran fine. It's in great shape and I could get it for $4k even. I would use it for commuting to work, a drive that is about 15 miles with two stop signs and no traffic since I live in the country. I probably wouldn't drive it to work or town for a week or so of afternoon riding to get comfortable, no matter what bike I got. Does this seem like a good deal? I liked the guy, he talked about cool guys buying 1000's for their first bike because their friends have them and pointed to about 10 in for repair behind him.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I don't know about price, but the er6n is a good bike.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Man, those old Z's are sexy. I can't find an old 70's Kawi round here that's remotely sporty to save my life, I think they all got wrapped around trees while smoking Hondas.

I don't know if it's been revised since I last looked, but the Z750 is a distinctly budget bike. This shows in its suspension, brakes, seat, buzziness. Problem is in Europe I'm not sure its cheap enough to make up for it. If you're willing to throw on a cartridge kit, new seat and some shot in the bars, it (or the nicer Z1000) can be a ton of fun.

In the UK market, looking for something sporty but not race-rep, that can take luggage, and isn't a dime a dozen, I might look at the smaller BMWs.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Awesome. I hope you enjoy it. Hit up SOHC.net if you need any maintenance advice.

Thanks, I already found their tech forum.

I forgot to mention, the great price I got it for was also on the condition that I didn't cafe or bob it, which I had no intention of doing anyway. I think in ten years time you're going to have a hard time finding an unmolested CB...

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

Thanks, I already found their tech forum.

I forgot to mention, the great price I got it for was also on the condition that I didn't cafe or bob it, which I had no intention of doing anyway. I think in ten years time you're going to have a hard time finding an unmolested CB...

I didn't see if you mentioned it, but what year CB650 is it?

And yes, you're probably right. All the old timers lose their poo poo every time someone posts a new Cafe build or bobber project they made out of their old CB.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Man, those old Z's are sexy. I can't find an old 70's Kawi round here that's remotely sporty to save my life, I think they all got wrapped around trees while smoking Hondas.

I don't know if it's been revised since I last looked, but the Z750 is a distinctly budget bike. This shows in its suspension, brakes, seat, buzziness. Problem is in Europe I'm not sure its cheap enough to make up for it. If you're willing to throw on a cartridge kit, new seat and some shot in the bars, it (or the nicer Z1000) can be a ton of fun.

In the UK market, looking for something sporty but not race-rep, that can take luggage, and isn't a dime a dozen, I might look at the smaller BMWs.

I'm not willing to grow the moustache that is a prerequisite for all BMW riders in the UK.

However, talk of the old naked Kawasakis reminded me of the ZRX1200 - there's one parked near my work some days and it has the weirdest effect, some days I look at it and fall in love and others it looks like a hideous parts-bin mashup. Maybe I should see if I can find one second-hand for a test ride...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Z-Rex is a big heavy bike with a big engine. It will be a very different experience from a Shiver. Like the Z750 it also benefited greatly from fork work when new, by now it's probably required. All body styles and color schemes are inferior to the R in Eddie Lawson rep - just look at this thing

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Zubumafoo posted:

I didn't see if you mentioned it, but what year CB650 is it?

And yes, you're probably right. All the old timers lose their poo poo every time someone posts a new Cafe build or bobber project they made out of their old CB.

I'm pretty sure it's a '79, he said it was a '76 when he posted details but as they started in '79 I'm just going to assume that he got his 6s and 9s the wrong way round. Guy isn't even an old timer, he's an MCC biker who I drink with from time to time. I got such a screaming deal because he no longer has a shed to keep his bikes in and needs the space desperately.

EDIT: Looks a lot like this one:

...but not nearly as clean

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 2, 2012

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

Anyway, thanks for previous advice, and anything you guys have to say about it now would be appreciated. Considering I'm still making him replace the tire first, but that I'll have to change some fluids myself, do you think I'm getting a fair price at $2500?

I just took a quick on Craigslist and eBay and that seems to be a pretty fair price, maybe $100 or $200 on the high side, but he's replacing the tire and throwing the saddlebags in so that (in my eyes) makes up for it. I'd go for it. Where are you located at?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Z-Rex is a big heavy bike with a big engine. It will be a very different experience from a Shiver. Like the Z750 it also benefited greatly from fork work when new, by now it's probably required. All body styles and color schemes are inferior to the R in Eddie Lawson rep - just look at this thing

That's pretty much the bike I see occasionally, although he's taken the nose fairing off (and fair enough, it looks really cheap and nasty to me).

I'm sort of leaning towards the heavier bike to be honest. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'm too old for squidliness but I'm not quite ready for the Goldwing yet.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

I just took a quick on Craigslist and eBay and that seems to be a pretty fair price, maybe $100 or $200 on the high side, but he's replacing the tire and throwing the saddlebags in so that (in my eyes) makes up for it. I'd go for it. Where are you located at?

Pittsburgh. Don't swoop in and steal my bike-to-be :tinfoil:

Kidding, thanks for the reassurance.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
How would a buell blast be as a first bike, They seem to be really really cheap in my area. My understanding is they were pretty much designed to be beginner bikes with low maintenance but they can be really hot or miss with reliability.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

tbb9 posted:

How would a buell blast be as a first bike, They seem to be really really cheap in my area. My understanding is they were pretty much designed to be beginner bikes with low maintenance but they can be really hot or miss with reliability.

You nailed it. People either like them for what they are or hate them with their entire being.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's designed from the ground up to be a beginner bike. That is the nicest thing it is possible to say about the Buell Blast.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Spiffness posted:

It's designed from the ground up to be a beginner bike. That is the nicest thing it is possible to say about the Buell Blast.
is there anything inherently wrong with them? I like the idea of a big single cylinder with belt drive and it looks like it would have a more comfortable seating position than a 250

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For a first bike, what would you choose between a Honda CBF 600 and a Suzuki GSF 650 Bandit?
Both are from 2007 with ABS and have about 15k kilometers (9k miles) on the odo. The price is the same for both, just shy of 4k euro.

As an alternative, at the same price there's also a 2007 ER-6f with 5.5k km (3k miles), although it lacks ABS and the seller didn't post any pictures of it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

tbb9 posted:

is there anything inherently wrong with them? I like the idea of a big single cylinder with belt drive and it looks like it would have a more comfortable seating position than a 250

Here's Buells own ad for the 2010 Buell Blast

It was widely considered the best model year for the blast.

The seating position is pretty good, they can be had cheap, they are super beginner friendly from a engine power point of view but there are so many bikes that are good beginner bikes that are better in every way that I'd encourage you to explore far and wide before buying a Blast. No Tach, many people have very poor reliability problems, they shake like nothing you've ever sat on, and a super clunky gear box, as well as poor brakes, bad suspension, etc are the usual complaints about the Blast.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 2, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

tbb9 posted:

As much as I am crazy for Buells, you'd probably be better off with a Suzuki Boulevard S40/Savage 650 - a comfy, reliable, beginner-friendly single with a belt - than a Blast. You can even buy a kit to make them cool http://www.rycamotors.com/

PineappleChunk
Feb 17, 2011
So I just finished the MSF last week, and I've been searching around for a good deal on a Ninja 250, and I was thinking of checking these out:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/3180081618.html
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/3179700823.html

Anything I should be worried about on these?

PineappleChunk fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 3, 2012

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

PineappleChunk posted:

So I just finished the MSF last week, and I've been searching around for a good deal on a Ninja 250, and I was thinking of checking these out:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/3180081618.html
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/3179700823.html

Anything I should be worried about on these?

Given the second, why would you ever consider the first? You have to know that your well-being is worth a few hundred bucks. If this were a moonshot, which ship would you take? Kawasaki, Progressive, Dunlop, the AMA, the seller, the indie who put on your tires...none of these a-holes are going to be around when you're blasting down the interstate. That's part of the thrill, I know, but do yourself a favor and start out with something that isn't obviously played out.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've been grappling for ages with a dilemma, and a sudden influx of cash (not enough to buy a new bike outright, but enough for a fairly chunky deposit + trade-in on my current bike to make something new pretty drat cheap) has pushed it up a bit.

My current bike is an 09 Aprilia Shiver, from new. I really, really like this bike. But... newer, shinier!

What I'm looking for in a bike is pretty simple. I commute to work every day (only a short distance but through heavy traffic) so anything likely to start most mornings will be fine, but it has to make me smile every time I see it and be a bit different.

New KTM Duke 690?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

Buddy has this bike in this color scheme. Im not really of the generation where we say something looks 'boss' but this thing is Boss with a capital B.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

New KTM Duke 690?

Whoah now, them's fighting words 'round these parts.

Twisto, the current Duke would actually work well as a city bike for you. As far as I can tell from my limited experience riding one, they basically redesigned it for the beginner/urban market, reserving the semi-supermoto chassis of the earlier Dukes (like my Duke II) for the SMC. It now basically feels like a 65-70hp Superdream, only with suspension to match. I did find it lacked ground clearance, but maybe that just means I'm too heavy for stock settings.

My only concern would be the potential for it going ping. Possibly just prejudice though as I've seen the inside of a 690SM motor that grenaded itself at very low miles.

Being a Londoner/GLA'er or whatever, you have the advantage of multiple KTM dealers, so I'm sure you can get a ride somewhere.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Saga posted:

Whoah now, them's fighting words 'round these parts.

Twisto, the current Duke would actually work well as a city bike for you. As far as I can tell from my limited experience riding one, they basically redesigned it for the beginner/urban market, reserving the semi-supermoto chassis of the earlier Dukes (like my Duke II) for the SMC. It now basically feels like a 65-70hp Superdream, only with suspension to match. I did find it lacked ground clearance, but maybe that just means I'm too heavy for stock settings.

My only concern would be the potential for it going ping. Possibly just prejudice though as I've seen the inside of a 690SM motor that grenaded itself at very low miles.

Being a Londoner/GLA'er or whatever, you have the advantage of multiple KTM dealers, so I'm sure you can get a ride somewhere.

Yeah, they've moved it towards being a normal naked bike rather than barely-watered down supermoto for the new model. Doesn't the engine in the new one have ridiculously huge service intervals, like 25k kms huge?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

On a recent trip across the pond I saw a guy wheelie down the street on one of the new Duke 690 Rs and I've never been more covetous.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Spiffness posted:

Here's Buells own ad for the 2010 Buell Blast

It was widely considered the best model year for the blast.

The seating position is pretty good, they can be had cheap, they are super beginner friendly from a engine power point of view but there are so many bikes that are good beginner bikes that are better in every way that I'd encourage you to explore far and wide before buying a Blast. No Tach, many people have very poor reliability problems, they shake like nothing you've ever sat on, and a super clunky gear box, as well as poor brakes, bad suspension, etc are the usual complaints about the Blast.

The MSF course I took had a bunch of Blasts, god it looked like those poor riders were fighting with the transmission, it was visibly clunky and uncomfortable looking compared to the ninjas that were also present

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

tbb9 posted:

tbb9 posted:

The oil can only be changed hot. (e: non-issue I guess)
The engine mounts are designed such that the shake vanishes over ~1k rpm.
The fairings are the same thing golf ball shells are made of.
The brakes are more grabby than I think is ideal for a new rider.
The seat can be hard to release, but the whole mechanism is visible so at least you can see how you're screwing up.
Adding a tach is very simple and there's ample room for it.
They're a little heavy for the size.
The transmission is from Harley and requires the same hard stomp as the rest of them to get into 1st. The other gears are easy.

CA mostly doesn't like them.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Splizwarf posted:

The oil can only be changed hot.

Is that something wrong? I've never come across a bike that wants you to change oil cold.