Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mister Snips posted:

Is forza 4 actually hard because in 2 and 3 you just slap expensive parts on a crappy car and turn every assist off and still come in first place because you're racing against really bad AI that doesn't adapt or even move away from the racing line

I wanna race some cars but i want the game to punch me in the mouth and say "learn to car" instead of "if you can handle the simulation at all you win"

Wait, a video game where if you give yourself overpowered equipment and too many benefits, you discover you're in fact smarter than the AI? I never!

It's pretty easy to get a very good challenge in Forza. Take a knife to a gun fight - Instead of picking only leaderboard cars, you can pick cars that are enjoyable to drive, and then upgrade them until they're competitive with the cars you're racing rather than dominant vs cars you're racing.

Do I wish Forza did a little more of the work for me? Sure, but the flexibility inherent with the game means that if you can't find challenges, you're not trying hard enough.

Also the AI never runs into me and I never run into the AI. AI is the best I because it's predictable. Like real racers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy
So, I'm catching quite a bit of static on the Mechwarrior Online thread because I apparently didn't post some intro in "general BS" forum. Is this a requirement I just didn't know about? I didn't see it anywhere in the rules. And to make this at least slightly relevant to Forza, I won't be around next week, so no racing for me... Sorry.

Anyone want me to gift them a Spirit R? (can you do that?)

Edit: what in the hell is FYAD about?

silverbullitt850 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 3, 2012

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

silverbullitt850 posted:

So, I'm catching quite a bit of static on the Mechwarrior Online thread because I apparently didn't post some intro in "general BS" forum. Is this a requirement I just didn't know about? I didn't see it anywhere in the rules. And to make this at least slightly relevant to Forza, I won't be around next week, so no racing for me... Sorry.

Since I'm really nice: they are trying to haze and humiliate you. Don't do that.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

silverbullitt850 posted:

Haha, people are still doing that? Don't post a welcome thread in GBS, or anywhere else. It's a trick to get you banned.

You can't gift unicorns, so you're stuck with the Spirit-R.

FYAD used to be a forum about flaming people and starting trouble, but I don't even know what the deal with it anymore.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

silverbullitt850 posted:

Dont listen to those guys above this post, they're part of the hive mind and trying to get you in trouble.

If you DONT post a welcome thread in GBS you will definitely fall afoul of the people in the Mechwarrior Online thread. So yeah, go make your welcome thread.

Also, no, you cannot gift unicorn cars. Only thing you can do with them is sell them back to the game for credits.

FYAD is not to be trifled with.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Dont listen to those guys above this post, they're part of the hive mind and trying to get you in trouble.

If you DONT post a welcome thread in GBS you will definitely fall afoul of the people in the Mechwarrior Online thread. So yeah, go make your welcome thread.

Also, no, you cannot gift unicorn cars. Only thing you can do with them is sell them back to the game for credits.

FYAD is not to be trifled with.

Maybe I'll just stick to Forza. At least I KNOW when the GTCC guys make dick jokes.

You guys are the best.

I am really stoked that their douchebaggery prevented me from wasting money and time that I don't have on a game I don't really need.

silverbullitt850 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 4, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just as long as you aren't doping while playing with GTCC, we take drug abuse for competitive competition very seriously. Unlike the Olympics.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
GTCC is known to be sim-wheels-only group, have you looked at some of the Fanatec stuff?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Haha poor guy, FYAD got another one. :downs:

Edit; what's Silverbullit's GT? I feel like I've raced with him before...

Tanz-Kommandant fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 4, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Apparently it's cowboy joe or something. Apparently he's terrible.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

I don't know. The AI gets stupid sometimes and that's when it gets hard. For example, R3 DTM cars, and the AI behind me forgets he has brakes when entering a slow corner...

The lead AI car always has like a 5% chance of not braking at all going into any given corner. This is the "30 levels of confidence" they claimed they added for FM4.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Based on the 1992 season when Michael Schumacher would just forget to use his brakes and fly into the wall.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Right so, what's the most active goon group now and is there any room to join?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ANAmal.net posted:

this is the NSX I was running that night:

It's based off of this, though I don't know why I did it.

Wow that's gorgeous. Nice work.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

AnimalChin posted:

If you are looking for racing your best bet is irc.synirc.net #forzagoons

I race just about every night and it's a loving grab bag, but sometimes good racing happens.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I think I fixed my earlier post. I am reposting so interested parties don't miss the edit:

quote:

FULL Picture Dump

Individual cars at lift-off (I don't know if these are in any particular order):

Bentron

AndrewCoja

DarkPhoenix104

DriverZiploc

FauxPas (stylin')

Frago Bren and RainWave

GutBomb303

Yours, truly Captain Howdy 0

Lightg1obe and Synmoo

Llama Slayer

Phancypants and SwedeSpeed

Sockington

This is a pic I took of me and Greg that didn't make it in because I was wiped out. Sorry, Greg, there's at least one more, too:

The rest of these pics are added without comment. This is about 31 pics total and I may have gotten lost along the way. I just want to incite Forza Lust.

Here is the part of lap one where Rainwave's cheater Lotus got raped beyond belief. (He still finished ahead of me.)

Sorry, I didn't mean to abuse the thread. I just didn't feel like I had put my full effort into it. Ignore this post if it annoys you, please.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Just a little news from the grapevine.

http://www.virtualr.net/thrustmaster-mysterious-product-teaser

Mysterious Thrustmaster product, and the video zooms in on a car garage... numbered #360. I don't know of any racetracks that have anywhere close to 360 garages on the pit road, so I reckon we could be looking at a nice FFB 360 compatible wheel!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

AnimalChin posted:

As burtonos said, hang out in irc, especially on fridays for Bentron's dice racing. Otherwise most cool Forza goons will hang out in irc. I usually don't because of connection issues, but I'm practically friends with everyone, so you'll see me in lobby anyways.

Otherwise, the active clubs are GTCC, AUGR, and SAEG.

GTCC is ultra-sim dilz sucking action. No aids in here, and every week we run a 'themed' spec race. The past few weeks, and for the next couple of weeks, we are running 'road to R1'.

AUGR is the surviving of the three main 'goon groups', the other two having been LLJK and GISH. AUGR usually posts its weekly specs here in thread. I believe Jarf is the head of AUGR, and he does have a website that details the specs to run. Their specs are usually based on Trans Am, SCCA, or some other real life spec.

SAEG is the club for all the euro-goons.

AFGS is the Aussie club, but I don't know if they are very active or not.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

I believe Jarf is the head of AUGR...

Jarf is SAEG, it's Jabs that's the AUGR bloke :)

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Scatterfold posted:

Jarf is SAEG, it's Jabs that's the AUGR bloke :)
It's me actually ;) I'm terrible!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to abuse the thread. I just didn't feel like I had put my full effort into it. Ignore this post if it annoys you, please.
If that's abusin' the thread, I'd say we thrash the thread some more! Awesome shots, and I love your filenames. :) I wish I had remembered to put my full livery (with number and everything) on my car instead of the one that winds up in the shared garage! Oh well. It managed to be fun sometimes - you backmarker bros are fun to race with. :)

And yeah, somebody lagged bombed into me on the first lap and gave me near-100% aero damage all around. 100% aero damage. On an Exige. That was the end of the race for me. :(

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is a pic I took of me and Greg that didn't make it in because I was wiped out. Sorry, Greg, there's at least one more, too:

No worries, I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. I just really like that livery and I wanted to post post post about it.

This is a good shot, and I hope you never give up your new role as official scribe and combat photographer of GTCC. I just wish my car (and driver) had been more competitive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yay, I'm in race pictures.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Falken posted:

Just a little news from the grapevine.

http://www.virtualr.net/thrustmaster-mysterious-product-teaser

Mysterious Thrustmaster product, and the video zooms in on a car garage... numbered #360. I don't know of any racetracks that have anywhere close to 360 garages on the pit road, so I reckon we could be looking at a nice FFB 360 compatible wheel!

Interesting. I wonder if it won't be in the same price range as the existing options already are though, $300-$500 range - given what other Thrustmaster products are like (and the obvious extra cost of adding Xbox wireless functionality.)
I'll be very curious to see what they come up with.

Assuming it is a wheel, of course.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why wouldn't it be a wheel? What else do you put in a garage on a pitlane?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

YF19pilot posted:

As burtonos said, hang out in irc, especially on fridays for Bentron's dice racing. Otherwise most cool Forza goons will hang out in irc. I usually don't because of connection issues, but I'm practically friends with everyone, so you'll see me in lobby anyways.

I'd like to get some racing going tonight. Dice racing, ABCs, whatever, I am looking at 8 pm est, or about 2 hours.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Alright AUGR dudes, I've updated the OP in the AUGR Thread in private game servers. Check it out for the schedule and specs I have come up with (some specs borrowed, credit attributed) for the upcoming 12 races or so. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

burtonos posted:

I'd like to get some racing going tonight. Dice racing, ABCs, whatever, I am looking at 8 pm est, or about 2 hours.

I'd be up for some racing tonight, got a few classes of car now rather than just F!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Alright AUGR dudes, I've updated the OP in the AUGR Thread in private game servers. Check it out for the schedule and specs I have come up with (some specs borrowed, credit attributed) for the upcoming 12 races or so. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Your OP is wrong, Howdy's favorite car is the Corvair.

Also, I was just driving around Bernie's Alps because I was bored. I noticed that on the Festival circuit, while you're on the big sweeper around the lake, the big mountain at the start/finish disappears. I was looking at the cable cars and they go into that station that's on the mountain at the start/finish. Except the mountain is gone, and the station is part of the skybox texture. I can understand why they wouldn't model the mountain because that would take up a lot of memory for something no one is looking at, but they could have at least added a picture of it to the skybox.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 5, 2012

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Awesome! Modern art car buddies!

Although Bentron called it the Partridge Family car.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Vagina Jones posted:

Awesome! Modern art car buddies!

Although Bentron called it the Partridge Family car.

Haha, jesus christ, I didn't think there'd be another Mondrian car in this thread, but then here we are.

I like yours better.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Your OP is wrong, Howdy's favorite car is the Corvair.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482417

quote:

Captain Howdy 0's favorite car, the Aston Martin Cygnet, catches mad air

Ok, this is truly bizarre.
First, it is not improbable that I raced with AUGR goons late one morning and not remember it. There are lots of late late mornings that I don't remember the next day. I think you guys know why.

Second, I don't believe I've ever once driven the Cygnet, even as a joke. I can't imagine that's me but if you are sure it was (and not, say, Captain Hair; or it's just a joke) I'll take your word for it.

Third, My favorite Aston Martin is hands down the V8 Vantage. Mine is in the same factory color as the one James May drove on Top Gear UK. It's one of my favorite A Class cars:

Lastly, I don't really have a favorite car in FM4 because I have several favorites, but if you twist my arm and make me choose, I choose this old gal:

Cheers!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482417

Ok, this is truly bizarre.
First, it is not improbable that I raced with AUGR goons late one morning and not remember it. There are lots of late late mornings that I don't remember the next day. I think you guys know why.

Second, I don't believe I've ever once driven the Cygnet, even as a joke. I can't imagine that's me but if you are sure it was (and not, say, Captain Hair; or it's just a joke) I'll take your word for it.
Definitely a joke! That's just some random screen grab I found online. I thought I remembered you going on and on about how much you HATED the Cygnet but I suppose I could be thinking of someone else.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Howdy does like to monologue, so your story checks out.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Sorry for the abrupt end tonight guys, was late and probably my last race anyhow.

I did however save a bunch of replays, I'll try and grab some vids sometime :)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'll go ahead and throw this in here. Whatcubed, if you want to put this in the AUGR thread, feel free.

I think I've finally got the CMC tunes figured out so they're pretty competitive. All of the tunes are in my storefront and the handicaps are as follows:

1990 Camaro - No handicap
2002 Camaro - 10% Power handicap
1993 Cobra - No handicap
1995 Cobra - 10% Power handicap
2000 Cobra - 25% Power handicap
2005 Mustang - 10% Power handicap
1987 Firebird - No handicap
2002 Firebird - 15% Power handicap

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

-Colon Cowboy
Whew... I'm back. In Cafilornia (intentional) for the week, so no Forza for me. Boaz, I'm looking forward to your CMC races, should be pretty scary with cars that heavy. On the plus side, I no longer have the desire to spend money on Mechwarrior Online.

So, apparently telling someone that their anime signature was cool (only semi-sarcastically) is probation worthy. Also, what's night crew?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ANAmal.net posted:

Howdy does like to monologue, so your story checks out.
He's acknowledged it was a joke.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 5, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

He's acknowledged it was a joke.

I don't care, I know what I heard. One night, you were drunk and you said that when you die you want it to be remembered that you loved Corvairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

-Colon Cowboy

Cojawfee posted:

I don't care, I know what I heard. One night, you were drunk and you said that when you die you want it to be remembered that you loved Corvairs.

Well he also said that he loved me, so... Either there's one hell of a bromance going on or just a dude lovin' some booze.

Either way, Dr. Howdy 0, you're alright in my book. Except if the Corvair thing is true, those aren't ok.

• Locked thread