Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'd imagine the amount of effort that goes into actually making a level is slightly higher once you throw non-90 degree angles and semi-realistic 3D models into the mix. Not that simply judging by level count is a good measure anyways.

Not to mention, nowadays levels tend to be longer than they used to be. 20 levels is pretty impressive for a modern game. If each level takes half an hour to get through on your first playthrough, that's still ten hours of gameplay right there. Far Cry had 20 levels, and that game took forever to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also ROTT only had about 20 good levels anyway, it all fell apart when those loving monks showed up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So the Let's Play of ROTT linked me to this old article on ROTT by Fragmaster. It's a pretty interesting read, comically false claims by the ROTT devteam aside.

It also mentions a random level generator, RANDROTT. I'm kind of tempted to see if I can set up an all-random-levels deathmatch server or something.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Convex posted:

Also ROTT only had about 20 good levels anyway, it all fell apart when those loving monks showed up.

It starting getting lovely around Episode 3, when you had to start running across huge, trap-filled levels in order to find a semi-hidden key, then run across the level again in order to find the door it opens. Repeat for 5 or so levels until the episode ends.

It makes me want to create my own RoTT map pack, if only to show how you can do puzzles and combat properly without making the player waste 15 or so minutes finding obscure keys and doors.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 3, 2012

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I know everyone's super excited about ROTT, but I just needed to get this in here.

The Kins posted:

☑ World's Most Boringest Ghost
☑ Dog Pope
☑ El Cybredemon
☑ Imp Tank
☑ Ms. THE JERK
☑ Player 2
☑ The ShapeShifter

Gotta catch 'em all.

http://imgur.com/a/mBVRN

:smug: :smugdroid: :smugdog:

Bring it on, bitches.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I want to host some sort of that ol' bullshit we all know and love. Suggestions or thoughts are welcome. We need to make this a sparkling reality.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Now that I think about it I never actually beat RoTT. I mostly just jumped in and hosed around.

I fondly remember throwing myself off the map, getting smashed by lava pillars, or impaling myself on the fences

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
What engine is the new game using?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mutation posted:

Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded used Unreal Engine 3, so I'm assuming this is too. Also, the Unreal Engine page on Facebook shared the reveal trailer for the remake, so there's that too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mutation posted:

It's confirmed to be Unreal Engine 3.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is anyone having problems with WinROTT? I always played RoTT through dosbox but when when i use WinROTT, clicking on the launch button it just dissapears.

I'm using WinROTT full 2.24 with GOG.com version and the dll pack from the website.

Edit: Forgot to say, im using Win7 x64. It should be compatible but well.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Is anyone having problems with WinROTT? I always played RoTT through dosbox but when when i use WinROTT, clicking on the launch button it just dissapears.

I'm using WinROTT full 2.24 with GOG.com version and the dll pack from the website.

Edit: Forgot to say, im using Win7 x64. It should be compatible but well.

Put the winrott exe in windows xp service pack 3 compatibility mode, same thing was happening to me the other day, tried it on a whim since Google wasn't helping and it's been playing flawless since.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Reive posted:

Put the winrott exe in windows xp service pack 3 compatibility mode, same thing was happening to me the other day, tried it on a whim since Google wasn't helping and it's been playing flawless since.

Oh that worked perfectly thank you! I completely forgot compatiblity mode since i never have problems with that nowadays.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, now Jace Hall wants to make an updated version of Blood.

vg247 posted:

“I have a very specific vision in mind for what I’d like to do, but before I go off and do it,” he said. “I wanted to speak directly with the Blood community and see what the thoughts are.

“My goal of course is for this all to be free, and all about gameplay and fun. You can rest assured that I have the resources to bring Blood back properly but like I said, I’m hoping to have the community participate in all this if it wants to so we can all do it together.

“Rest assured, that I know everything that needs to be known in regard to the blood rights/legal issues. If I indeed decide to move forward with my ideas for Blood, I certainly will be able to and will get all the support I need from all/any parties that may have legal interest in the game.”

Hall said should he attempt to bring Blood back, he’ll be the once “actually paying the bill,” and will “not likely be getting,” his money back.

“It will be all for the fun of it,” he said. “I think it would good for the community to beging to create a dream list of all the things that they would hope for with Blood. In regard to the source code, I have reservations about releasing it due to it making it that much easier for people to cheat/hack whatever new system I put in place – and part of what I’m hoping to achieve with this potential project is a game that really allows people to build measurable value in their cummulative game accomplishments.”

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Do it Jace. You know in your heart it's right.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Convex posted:

Wow, now Jace Hall wants to make an updated version of Blood.
Oh jesus christ yes please! If done right, it could be the rebirth of a really loving awesome game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I think they should start off by straight up seeing that they can do to emulate Episode 1 as closely as possible in the Jupiter EX engine.

Bring them back, bring back all the old first person shooters :getin:

e: that thread on Postmortem is full of some terrible ideas

quote:

2. Putting together a magic system for Blood (TL;DR - eight elements, combined in different ways as per Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem or Magicka... obviously, copyright may be an issue with this implementation).

also this Bloodlust thing

quote:

Bloodlust
While under QStudios, one of the undeveloped features of Blood was that of Bloodlust. With each enemy killed, a Bloodlust meter would increase, until it reached capacity. At that point, Caleb would transform into the Beast, with increased strength and speed, but less choice in weaponry. In order to maintain this mode, the player would have to continue killing, or risk reverting to human form. Although this feature was not included in the final version, the central plot line still centralizes around this idea, as Tchernobog declares his reason for condemning Caleb was that he would return with the power of all the lives he took.

Another dropped feature was the ability to play as the other Chosen, which was included in the sequel. Likely, each player would have transformed into a different creature, which likely became Tchernobog's lieutenants.

ah yes because that worked so well for Blood 2. and i don't think Blood needs BLOOD METER FULL BEAST MODE ACTIVATED MAXIMUM BEAST

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 4, 2012

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Yodzilla posted:

Where's my Lethal Tender? :colbert:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Haha holy poo poo.

Yeah, RIP.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Please no demon morph to Blood. It wasn't that great in Painkiller, it's absolutely not needed in Blood. A new (good) Blood on the other hand certainly is needed.

edit: there was such a feature in Blood 2? I guess I never played far enough/forgot it existed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Quatrefoil posted:

edit: there was such a feature in Blood 2? I guess I never played far enough/forgot it existed.

I don't remember it either, and I actually liked Blood 2.

As far as this goes, I am excited for a Blood Source Port. Come on, Jace, release that code.

Edit: vv Oh, ok, that makes sense, re-reading that.

Come on guys, I just want my Blood Source Port that can play mods easily and play in high resolutions.

If you want beast mode and stuff, make a mod.

catlord fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 4, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Quatrefoil posted:

The second paragraph about the different Chosen characters was in Blood 2, not the Animorph nonsense.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh, holy gently caress, the OP was where I heard about Eradicator! I got Dark Forces at a thrift store, and there was a copy of Eradicator jammed into the case with it, but I haven't tried it yet. Has anybody here played it?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Yodzilla posted:

Quick, someone remake Pathways into Darkness as a Roguelike/FPS hybrid!

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I would pay good money for a competent Catacomb Abyss remake.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

catlord posted:

I don't remember it either, and I actually liked Blood 2.

As far as this goes, I am excited for a Blood Source Port. Come on, Jace, release that code.

I think when he talks about source code he's talking about the source for whatever this new Blood remake would be, not the original Blood source, no? Nope I'm an idiot, he's talking about upgrading the original in-place and (not) releasing the source code for that.

Seriously, dude, if you had released the source years ago like you should have we would have all of these upgrades by now and you wouldn't even need to make them yourself.

Also, what the gently caress

quote:

“It will be all for the fun of it,” he said. “I think it would good for the community to beging to create a dream list of all the things that they would hope for with Blood. In regard to the source code, I have reservations about releasing it due to it making it that much easier for people to cheat/hack whatever new system I put in place – and part of what I’m hoping to achieve with this potential project is a game that really allows people to build measurable value in their cummulative game accomplishments.”

does this even mean?

DoombatINC posted:

Quick, someone remake Pathways into Darkness as a Roguelike/FPS hybrid!

That could be pretty awesome, actually. I have occasionally considered seeing if the Pathways file formats are documented anywhere and hacking together a top-down shooter version of it.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 5, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ToxicFrog posted:

does this even mean?

What part about "build measurable value in their cummulative game accomplishments" do you now understand. :downs:

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I dont understand how the old source code would allow people to cheat/hack in a new game unless he means he wants to make a new blood game using the ancient build or lithtech ones? If its just a new build blood, I think id rather just have the source code personally.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

If the source ever gets released for Blood that would mean great things for BloodXL. It'd be great to see that project get a big boost. Then we can all play Outlaws. :3:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Keep in mind Jace used ZDaemon as the example of what is super-cool in Doom ports. So, paranoia about cheaters and hackers ruining the multiplayer scene is an integral part of it.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Quatrefoil posted:

Please no demon morph to Blood. It wasn't that great in Painkiller, it's absolutely not needed in Blood. A new (good) Blood on the other hand certainly is needed.

The Demon Morph was kind of cool, if pretty arbitrary and not very flashy.

And I did like The Suffering's mechanic for turning into a hideous monster to smash people, but that's not an FPS.

Dudes about Pathways into Darkness: There's a DooM 3 mod that looked pretty faithful, but it's INSANELY obscure. Once I get DooM 3 to stop being an rear end in a top hat about resolutions, I'm going to try it out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Keep in mind Jace used ZDaemon as the example of what is super-cool in Doom ports. So, paranoia about cheaters and hackers ruining the multiplayer scene is an integral part of it.

We're never getting the Blood source, are we, because the developer is insane. :smithicide:

JackMackerel posted:

Dudes about Pathways into Darkness: There's a DooM 3 mod that looked pretty faithful, but it's INSANELY obscure. Once I get DooM 3 to stop being an rear end in a top hat about resolutions, I'm going to try it out.

Please do and report back! If it's any good that would probably get me to buy Doom 3.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

With all the blood talk going on right now. Is there a way to have a secret counter while you are playing a level or is it only at the end that you can see how many you got?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Other than just making a note of how many times the message pops up on the screen, not that I know of.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

ToxicFrog posted:

We're never getting the Blood source, are we, because the developer is insane. :smithicide:

Woah, what?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

Looks like it (Pathways Redux) was updated with Steam support not too long ago. Guess I should give it a look.

Edit: Whoa, whoa... it was made by Blendo Games. The guys who made Flotilla, Atom Zombie Smasher, etc. Nice!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

http://www.the-postmortem.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1890

quote:

<jacehall> ok. Are you all familiar with ZDAEMON?
<jacehall> well zdaemon is a really cool enhancement to doom that offers better networking, options, etc.

<jacehall> ok. So imagine this updated but ORIGINAL perfect working copy of BLOOD.
<jacehall> Now add all the standard network capability that you would expect in a modern game. Just like what ZDAEMON adds to Doom...

<jacehall> Ok. so now lets talk about source code
<jacehall> when source code is released in enables cheating/hacking greatly
<jacehall> especially for something like what I described
<jacehall> When source gets released, it can sometimes really cause a community to break into small factions for all the different versions. This is what happened to DOOM

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How long does he expect multiplayer of such a game to stay popular? 3 weeks? 4 weeks?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I can see his point, but I don't really agree with it. It's true to an extent that the Doom community is sort of split into various little tribes that do their own thing, but there's also a decent amount of collaboration between them in tackling larger problems. For example, the UDMF (Universal Doom Map Format) specification was an effort between developers from multiple source ports and editors to create a plaintext, 32-bit replacement for the battered hacks of the binary-based Hexen map format lots of ports use.

Either way, I'm just happy that there's at least some effort to preserve the game beyond a crusty old DOS executable in an emulator.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How long does he expect multiplayer of such a game to stay popular? 3 weeks? 4 weeks?
Seeing as he's trying to involve the community, I suspect he thinks that people will start whacking out custom levels again. To be fair, Blood is pretty flexible engine-wise, but its version of BUILD (MAPEDIT I think?) is a lot tricker than the Duke3D version due to all the extra functionality.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Hasn't source code for Doom been released like 1 year after the game? I'd say it was one of the reason Doom is still active today, not something detrimental.