Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Same with the article on XII, which is downright schizophrenic.

quote:

I'm tired of going on about this. Sakaguchi and SquareSoft's Final Fantasy is gone, and it's never coming back. Square Enix's Final Fantasy is factory-assembled, market-tested, megabudget tripe; and because of the brand name's near-universal recognition, the massive budgets at Square Enix's disposal, and the ease with which its presentation can knock putty-mided critics and fanboys into fawning trances, it's just going to keep pumping out its mediocre products until the end of civilization as we know it, warping the landscape of pop culture and breeding smug, obsessive devotees convinced that their playing Final Fantasy games is a badge of intellectual and cultural superiorty.

Don't buy any more Final Fantasy games. Please. It will just encourage Square Enix to keep making more of them. It may be far too late for the series to die with dignity, but it neverthless deserves to die.

Two paragraphs later:

quote:

With that said: I probably expect too much from my toys these days, and Final Fantasy XII is still one of the best JRPGs I've played in the last decade. If the genre is slowly sinking into a swamp, Final Fantasy might still at the top of the heap.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Say what? FF7 on Android? Hot drat, I knew there was a reason I got one. Where can I find out more about this?

FPSe is a PSX emulator for Android,, which has really good compatibility and support for bluetooth controllers. You do have to play for it, though.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

My Lovely Horse posted:

In VII now I'm using the same three characters all the time changing their materia loadout as needed, which seems to work well, but I'm kinda curious how it would play if I assigned every character one classic FF class as emulated by different materia combinations. Anyone ever tried that?
I haven't really done it but FFVII is definitely easy enough for that to be totally doable. I used to like my characters to be defined in different ways but they'd still have overlapping skills - you could easily just make them into classes though. It may be a bit of a cheat but if you give someone Enemy Skill and call them a Red Mage, they have tons of useful skills for both attacking and healing.

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 5, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

MrAristocrates posted:

Same with the article on XII, which is downright schizophrenic.

Two paragraphs later:

:psyduck:

Immediately before this, he says that he's of two minds regarding the game. And that it's just as good a game as previous entries were; however, he didn't enjoy it as much for the simple fact that he's outgrown it.

Really, that seems to be about as fair an assessment as can be given.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Paperhouse posted:

I haven't really done it but FFVII is definitely easy enough for that to be totally doable. I used to like my characters to be defined in different ways but they'd still have overlapping skills - you could easily just make them into classes though. It may be a bit of a cheat but if you give someone Enemy Skill and call them a Red Mage, they have tons of useful skills for both attacking and healing.

Enemy skill would make them a Blue Mage, you could get by just using elemental magic and cures to make Red.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Hedera Helix posted:

Immediately before this, he says that he's of two minds regarding the game. And that it's just as good a game as previous entries were; however, he didn't enjoy it as much for the simple fact that he's outgrown it.

Really, that seems to be about as fair an assessment as can be given.

But it isn't really a fair assessment based on his article series. Most of the review is almost all positive, and he talks about how he likes the various aspects of the game, finds things interesting, etc. And then he goes into a rant about how it's terrible, with the only justifications seeming to be how "JRPG" or "Final Fantasy" it is. It's actually a trend you can pick up in his articles as he plays through more of the series, including games like IX- he clearly just gets sick of the series and genre as he gets burned out, but only directs his ire at the later games. The earlier games are just as guilty, but apparently they're blameless because they're protected by nostalgia armor.

Long story short, his "retrospective" is actually a bunch of reviews that are heavily biased towards the games he played as a kid.

vvv Edit: Mystic Knight with !Flee on the magic side (flee until you get to Omniscient, then just use Mute Blade); everyone else to the physical side.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 5, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How should I do the Magic/Phys towers? Ninja/Chemist and Thief/MK?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

How should I do the Magic/Phys towers? Ninja/Chemist and Thief/MK?

Doesn't matter too much, Chemist and one of your attackers for the magic tower and the other two for the physical tower. e:Minotaur's a joke and as long as you mix a Bacchus' Wine or a Blessed Kiss on Omniscient, so's he.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 5, 2012

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Alright I just beat FF3 on my DS and it was a lot of fun, even though it was really light on the story side. I had a lot of fun with the job system and using different jobs before settling on my final team. I just purchased IV for the DS today, anything I need to know before I dive in?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Giving augments to characters who leave your party (preferably crappy augments, of course) will let you gain more useful augments. Of course, if you want to use a guide to look that up, it means spoiling all the characters who leave your party at some point. Also, some augments pop up in really obscure locations after beating certain major bosses, and others are just hard as hell to find. There's one you get from 100% map completion, and there's one dungeon where you can't get 100% the first time, as you enter the same dungeon later but cover a different area instead. The fun part is that you can't go back to the first area instead, so there's a room or two where if you accidentally miss a little piece of the map, you've missed out on that augment for the entire game. Also, you can only use New Game + twice for some reason.

Other than that, that's pretty much it. All the major bullshit missable stuff in the DS version stems completely from the pain-in-the-rear end augments, which is a shame because it's a decent system that breathes new life to an old gameplay system. If only they weren't such a pain in the rear end to get.

Alternatively, just cheat yourself in all the augments if possible. It might wreck balance a bit, but then you could not use the more powerful ones until the game starts kicking your butt. At least you won't have to deal with obscure unmissable crap.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Giving augments to characters who leave your party (preferably crappy augments, of course) will let you gain more useful augments. Of course, if you want to use a guide to look that up, it means spoiling all the characters who leave your party at some point. Also, some augments pop up in really obscure locations after beating certain major bosses, and others are just hard as hell to find. There's one you get from 100% map completion, and there's one dungeon where you can't get 100% the first time, as you enter the same dungeon later but cover a different area instead. The fun part is that you can't go back to the first area instead, so there's a room or two where if you accidentally miss a little piece of the map, you've missed out on that augment for the entire game. Also, you can only use New Game + twice for some reason.

Other than that, that's pretty much it. All the major bullshit missable stuff in the DS version stems completely from the pain-in-the-rear end augments, which is a shame because it's a decent system that breathes new life to an old gameplay system. If only they weren't such a pain in the rear end to get.

Alternatively, just cheat yourself in all the augments if possible. It might wreck balance a bit, but then you could not use the more powerful ones until the game starts kicking your butt. At least you won't have to deal with obscure unmissable crap.

Yeah I don't mind getting spoiled who leaves or what really if I already know a lot of ff4's plot points and maybe a twist or something. I heard the difficulty on this one is just like the japanese version of the original? If yes then I'm totally going to get these missable augments.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man

PonchAxis posted:

Alright I just beat FF3 on my DS and it was a lot of fun, even though it was really light on the story side. I had a lot of fun with the job system and using different jobs before settling on my final team. I just purchased IV for the DS today, anything I need to know before I dive in?

Just look at a guide so you'll know where all the optional augments are. Also know that status ailment spells actually mean something in this version. Also know that it is by far the hardest Final Fantasy game and be prepared for bullshitery.

Edit: It is a lot harder than the OG Japanese FFIV.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Then yeah, just use a guide for Augments. I think the game may be even more difficult than the original, though I don't remember for sure since it's been a long time since I played. Having some of the party-leaving augments will be handy as hell.

I don't think anything else that's important is missable in this game, so you should be set.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

Then yeah, just use a guide for Augments. I think the game may be even more difficult than the original, though I don't remember for sure since it's been a long time since I played. Having some of the party-leaving augments will be handy as hell.

It's definitely harder than the original. I don't think any other version of that game is very difficult at all, actually. There's a few fights where going in without a clear plan or knowing what the boss is gonna do can sorta gently caress you once or twice (the Magus Sisters come to mind), but the game also does a pretty good job of giving you the right tools and never dicking you by leaving you without a healer or something.

The DS version doesn't play games at all. I feel like it's gotta be intended for players who are already familiar with the game. But it's also the most well-constructed version, mechanically.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Pollyanna posted:

I didn't really like 4 and dropped it once i hit the Magus Sisters. I tend to like the odd numbered Fantasies moreso than the evens (6 is an exception and I really did not like 8). 5, 7 and 9 just have really fun systems and characters.

Say what? FF7 on Android? Hot drat, I knew there was a reason I got one. Where can I find out more about this?
Yeah, I'm using an android ps1 emulator called fpse and I have to recommend it. Only tried FF7 so far, and apart from a couple of small hiccups it's behaving nicely now and is almost always at 60FPS. Supposedly FF8 and 9 are working well too, and pretty much any PS1 game! Only issue is whether the game's controls lends itself relatively well to touch screens.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Fungah! posted:

Doesn't matter too much, Chemist and one of your attackers for the magic tower and the other two for the physical tower. e:Minotaur's a joke and as long as you mix a Bacchus' Wine or a Blessed Kiss on Omniscient, so's he.

It's also worth noting that Silence Spellblade works perfectly on Omniscient.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

That article series is okay... until he gets to IX, in which case I'd just rather punch the writer.

that dude posted:

Secondly, there's...well, let's start by looking at Tifa and Rinoa. Final Fantasy VIII's Rinoa had her fans, but to put it bluntly, there is far less Rinoa hentai floating around cyberspace than there is of VII's buxom heroine. It is an established fact that you can gauge the populariy anime/video game character by the amount of people drawing them naked and posting them on the Internet, and its is unlikely that this discrepancy between Tifa and Rinoa smut escaped Square's attention. The natural solution was to fetishize Dagger in a similar vein as Tifa. But instead of giving Dagger a massive bust, they focused on her booty instead.

I feel richer for having read this.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
FFVII PC was released and then pulled.

It uses Securom (ugh), but I wonder if someone that managed to grab it could look through the files and see if they've updated or changed some things.

e: I managed to find one forum where someone claimed they downloaded it and the PC version midis were converted to .ogg, hahahaha.

Winks fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 5, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I wish they'd release it on Steam instead of try to push their own shitpile digital distribution service I am so not interested in using I'm probably not going to even bother buying it.

I've played FFXI since release, SE. I don't trust you to digitally distribute jack poo poo. :mad:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

I feel richer for having read this.

That paragraph is magical.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That guy posted:

Secondly, there's...well, let's start by looking at Tifa and Rinoa. Final Fantasy VIII's Rinoa had her fans, but to put it bluntly, there is far less Rinoa hentai floating around cyberspace than there is of VII's buxom heroine. It is an established fact that you can gauge the populariy anime/video game character by the amount of people drawing them naked and posting them on the Internet, and its is unlikely that this discrepancy between Tifa and Rinoa smut escaped Square's attention. The natural solution was to fetishize Dagger in a similar vein as Tifa. But instead of giving Dagger a massive bust, they focused on her booty instead.

I wonder how many hours of research he put into that. :jerkbag:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Winks posted:

It uses Securom

Welp, I was thinking of buying it when it came out, but not anymore. :sigh:

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
So I've been working my way through the old game I never got around to playing, I just wrapped up IX and I'm getting ready to start playing through the first game. Unfortunately, I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the number of platform choices I have to play it on and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to which version would be best.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CubeTheory posted:

So I've been working my way through the old game I never got around to playing, I just wrapped up IX and I'm getting ready to start playing through the first game. Unfortunately, I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the number of platform choices I have to play it on and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to which version would be best.

Dawn of Souls GBA is a pretty great version of it. Classic SNES-type sprite art rather than that creepy ultrasmooth drawn-in-Flash poo poo on the PSP remake, bonus dungeons, convenient item system, etc.

My only gripe is that it changes the original NES's Vancian casting to MP-based casting.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Picked up the original for android, having never played it. I just finished the earth cave, and am at crescent town right now. But I noticed that the NES versions had some bugs regarding magic spells (certain spells not working) and that the black belt wasn't worth promoting to master until later. I'm assuming they fixed these bugs for subsequent versions?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Guilty posted:

But I noticed that the NES versions had some bugs regarding magic spells (certain spells not working) and that the black belt wasn't worth promoting to master until later. I'm assuming they fixed these bugs for subsequent versions?

Fixed but trivialized. TMPR and all the strength-boosting spells are indeed bugged and useless in the NES version, but they pumped up every enemy's HP in the later versions anyway so they become less of a "have a boost" and more of a "do you or don't you want to spend thirty minutes fighting this boss?" Master has normal stat growth now, and I think they fixed the "any equipment reduces all stats" bug, but considering what the Master was in the original game (one-shotting the final boss), it's not like he was getting a bum deal in the first place.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 5, 2012

I LIKE FROSTYS
Sep 11, 2001

A good drink.
When the cross guy comes down and gives you the spells, should you take the fire (b/c it can burn a lot of stuff, think about what happens when an apartment or building burns) or should you take the water. You can only pick 1 so don't say both. If I could take both I would just take both. Thanks.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

More FFVII PC stuff. Looks like the videos are better at least.

Old:

New:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

I recommend the PS1 version, Origins. Its visuals and audio were used for the GBA version and all the bugs from the original versions were fixed, but it retains the Vancian casting and the higher difficulty level.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Beat FFV today, after fighting both Omega and Shinryuu at the end Neo Exdeath turned out to be a complete joke in comparison. I was sort of disappointed.

IX is next on my to play list, It's the FF I'm least familiar with outside of the MMO titles. Anybody have any thoughts on the game itself?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheIllestVillain posted:

Beat FFV today, after fighting both Omega and Shinryuu at the end Neo Exdeath turned out to be a complete joke in comparison. I was sort of disappointed.

IX is next on my to play list, It's the FF I'm least familiar with outside of the MMO titles. Anybody have any thoughts on the game itself?

IX is my favourite. Characters are well-done, the plot is good and gives development to most of the characters (I'd say 3/4 of them, stretchable to 7/8).

There really isn't too much to worry about for most of the game, as it's really pretty easy except for one or two optional bosses. Battles are a little slow paced, but other than that, you can beat the game with pretty much any character combination. Characters have a set 'job' and abilities, a little bit like FFX during the game, but the game is flexibile enough that once you have the option to choose your party any combination is viable.

Early game, I'd recommend you decide if you want to use Zidane for the long run. If so, you may want to steal early and often to power up his Thievery skill (which you'll get in Disc 3). There are a lot of decent items to steal, especially from bosses, but you'll lose out on a source of damage early on (though that's not a big problem). He's an adequate frontline fighter (probably ranking around 3rd or 4th), and it takes a lot of steals to make the move worthwhile (talking about 700+), so it's a personal pick whether to steal every battle or just steal when you like.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheIllestVillain posted:

IX is definitely the best post-2D FF, if not the best game in the series. It tends towards being a little more restrictive than the other PSX games early on, but it's well-written, has an excellent cast, a good story, and a well-balanced battle system.

It also has my favourite villain in the series. That's probably a minority opinion, but whoever is your favourite antagonist, Kuja has the single best character arc out of any of them. (He's a dude, by the way. You might be confused about that early on but he's a dude).

FF9 also has the most challenging superboss in the PSX series. I've only beaten him once, because he is an absolute fucker.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can get a lot of cool loot early from stealing from bosses, though it's a bit tedious for some of them, especially early on before you get abilities that make stealing easier.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Winks posted:

More FFVII PC stuff. Looks like the videos are better at least.

Old:

New:

Is there any difference between those two pictures other than the lighting, and lack of scan lines that TVs and monitors no longer have?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there any difference between those two pictures other than the lighting, and lack of scan lines that TVs and monitors no longer have?

They're both screen caps from a 1080p monitor. The differences are from the compression.

Winks fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 6, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fungah! posted:

Using an MK in the Magic Tower...attacking gets me exiled. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or should I just say gently caress it and run?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Using an MK in the Magic Tower...attacking gets me exiled. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or should I just say gently caress it and run?

Just book it to the boss, run from the shmucks. You've got no real ways to deal with the enemies other than berserking all of them or Throwing scrolls maybe. Both of those take consumable items, I'm not even sure Throwing will work, and the dungeon's pretty short and straightforward.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fungah! posted:

Just book it to the boss, run from the shmucks. You've got no real ways to deal with the enemies other than berserking all of them or Throwing scrolls maybe. Both of those take consumable items, I'm not even sure Throwing will work, and the dungeon's pretty short and straightforward.

I am almost positive that !Throw is reacted to in the Magical side of Fork Tower, yeah.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Paraphrased posted:

The Holy power of white magic...
It's time you had a taste of it!

[HOLY]

Not enough MP.

Victory!

:woop: Now for the other fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has there been anything new about the screw up of FF7 PC over the weekend? Square-Enix said anything? Really sucks for the people who bought it, not knowing they weren't suppose to, and being scammed out of their money, as little as it was, but still. Really shows you the kind of integrity Square-Enix has left (none at all).