Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

today i dusted off an old gui script that wasnt working and made it work again. this is what it does:

which one of us accomplished less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i also made a goonsay app earlier

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

vapid cutlery posted:

:goonsay:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

TiMBuS posted:

today i dusted off an old gui script that wasnt working and made it work again. this is what it does:

which one of us accomplished less?

awesome

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

thanks

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

vapid cutlery posted:

did u make that cat api or was that someone else i forget

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

TiMBuS posted:

did u make that cat api or was that someone else i forget

which cat api

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

:3:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
whoa i really want that as my av now, that script rules

RUSH COMIN AT YOU

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
you could even say its rushing at you

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

vapid cutlery posted:

which cat api

idk you request a cat and u get one. REST i guess. its pretty simple

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

whoa i really want that as my av now, that script rules

RUSH COMIN AT YOU

the new album rocks socks

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

TiMBuS posted:

idk you request a cat and u get one. REST i guess. its pretty simple

probably elgruntox im guessing

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

due to popular demand (one person asked abt it) i put it on github about a few weeks ago, you need perl and gtk and libglade and perlmagick and some other poo poo oh my god figure it out yourself https://github.com/TiMBuS/ZoomLoop

jeses gently caress i used camelcase or something for it. must have been a dark point in my life

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Toady posted:

the new album rocks socks

i know it's loving crazy

my only issue is that most of the songs could be one to two minutes shorter and lose nothing (especially headlong flight), but hey, prog rock

vapid cutlery posted:

probably elgruntox im guessing

yeah it was grunty's

got in some very bitter arguments about django templates and views over that one

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

abraham linksys posted:

got in some very bitter arguments about django templates and views over that one

i never knew anyone ever cared about templates. its just html w/ placeholders??

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

TiMBuS posted:

i never knew anyone ever cared about templates. its just html w/ placeholders??

i can see people having huge ideological wars about templating systems and how far the template's responsibility goes

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

vapid cutlery posted:

i can see people having huge ideological wars about templating systems and how far the template's responsibility goes

http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2010/12/5/not-so-stupid-template-languages/

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

awwww yeah

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

did anyone say...

resurrecting old code?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TiMBuS posted:

due to popular demand (one person asked abt it) i put it on github about a few weeks ago, you need perl and gtk and libglade and perlmagick and some other poo poo oh my god figure it out yourself https://github.com/TiMBuS/ZoomLoop

jeses gently caress i used camelcase or something for it. must have been a dark point in my life

use Hash::Util 'lock_keys';

that owns

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

vapid cutlery posted:

gently caress it, just do it in javascript

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
don't learn to program in java

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mr Dog posted:

don't learn to program in java

learning isn't necessary to get a job writing it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Apocadall posted:

so i'm trying to learn some java by kind of taking the code academy lessons and trying to figure them out in java. how do you do functions though? example in javascript would be
code:

var multiply = function(x,y){
	return x * y;
}
console.log(multiply(3,5);

how would i do this in java?
java is less powerful than JavaScript so get ready for frustration and typing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java is the best so just learn that (or c#). everything else is scub rear end crap for idiots.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

tef posted:

learning isn't necessary to get a job writing it
in the last 2 pages i have learned java and updated my resume thanks thread

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

here's a thing that happened with the auction house in a recently released game:

JerleMinara posted:

Hey if you want to actually use the AH, it turns out they did something really silly with the client UI that they guaranteed didn't test at all. (It's literally impossible to miss).actually it's pretty loving easy thing to miss if you only have a couple 1000 test items in the DB:

The whole meme about how it was "items that were already sold"? Yea, total bollocks. Basically Flash can't cleanly convert numbers over 10^14 to and from strings neatly so it goes bananas. So clicking buy keeps trying to buy a random itemID that's not even close to the actual itemID you want to buy. Or any itemID in the game.

guess you shouldn't use floats when manipulating your database IDs, who knew :shobon:

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
oop is easy you just write car.drive()

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

here's a thing that happened with the auction house in a recently released game:

guess you shouldn't use floats when manipulating your database IDs, who knew :shobon:

i posted in job status but i recently found out why ids were floats at work

someone manually edited the db with a bad driver, an id was converted to float, and mango auto incremented the ids as float

cool mango

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

in java script, after 52bits, numbers are automatically converted to float. theres no "64bit integer" datatype so you have to make your own class for that.

and in jquery, the .data() function tries to do automatic datatype conversion. so if you have
<div data-id="12345678901234567" data-name='{"z":123}'></div>

then $('div').data('id') will always return a float (and lose precision!) and $('div').data('name') will always return an object. you have to use $('div').attr('data-id') if you want an unaltered string version. people reported this as a bug, but the jquery devs said wontfix because so many people depend on that datatype conversion now that it will break a ton of websites if they change it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

barbarianbob posted:

the jquery devs said wontfix because so many people depend on that datatype conversion now that it will break a ton of websites if they change it

confirmed: jquery is the php of javascript

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

barbarianbob posted:

in java script, after 52bits, numbers are automatically converted to float. theres no "64bit integer" datatype so you have to make your own class for that.

it's not that they're automatically converted, rather it's that all numbers in javascript are double-precision (64-bit) floating point. since double precision floating point has 52 bits of mantissa, it can precisely represent integers up to 2^52, but there are no integral types of any kind

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

just break the loving websites then who gives a poo poo. nobody pays for the jquery framework, they don't owe anyone anything

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
419.9999762 perform accountancy calculations in floating point every day

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Otto Skorzeny posted:

it's not that they're automatically converted, rather it's that all numbers in javascript are double-precision (64-bit) floating point. since double precision floating point has 52 bits of mantissa, it can precisely represent integers up to 2^52, but there are no integral types of any kind

whoa

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"What do you mean there's a 40000 dollar discrepancy in the ledger, don't bother me about trivialities like that Johnson *inhales forearm-sized line of yay*

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if your programming language doesn't have pattern matching it's a dumb language from the past.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

if your programming language doesn't have pattern matching it's a dumb language from the past.

if you can't build it yourself lol
code:
    p = Matcher.new
    p.match(:alpha, wc) do
      puts "farts"
    end
    p.match(wc, :bravo) do
      puts "butts"
    end
    p[:alpha, :bravo] #=> "farts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU