Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Tiny Bug Child posted:

they have already solved this one but you're too dumb to use the solution

they jammed it inside a kitchen sink function in an external library. that's doubly baffling because it would fit right in with the rest of the php standard library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
reminder, the adage is "everything but the kitchen sink" indicating a set that specifically excludes the sink and not that the kitchen sink itself is somehow a universal set that includes everything :spergin:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
php has official external libraries? gently caress i thought they just crammed everything in the standard lib with no rhyme or reason to the naming scheme

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

abraham linksys posted:

php has official external libraries? gently caress i thought they just crammed everything in the standard lib with no rhyme or reason to the naming scheme

it's like PEAR but apparently the modules are written in C? which is pretty frightening when you consider the average PHP programmer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

vapid cutlery posted:

i guess web development doesn't have enough hard problems that php users love re-solving solved problems

thats a common thing in all web/toy languages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i mean you've gotta do something with them right? might as well half-finish another xml parser

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

thats a common thing in all web/toy languages
every language was a toy language ... once

did u think about that

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

every language was a toy language ... once

did u think about that

java still is (it's duplos, for babbies that aren't old enough for legos yet)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java is the best language b/c it actually got out of the toy stage. unlike all web "languages" (ex: javascript) or p-languages

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
java at least has a debugger

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript is good for what it was designed to do: popping up and then closing browser windows. doing anything else w/ it is just wrong

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

javascript is good for what it was designed to do: popping up and then closing browser windows. doing anything else w/ it is just wrong

shaggar was right

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

gucci void main posted:

shaggar was right
nah

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
shaggar is only right when he defends the windows platform against webdev children who ignore it because it's not hip

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Gazpacho posted:

shaggar is only right when he defends the windows platform against webdev children who ignore it because it's not hip

it being expensive is a good enough reason

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
last week i had a phone screen with a webdev and was trying to explain a project i had worked on by analogy to Windows GDI, he didn't know what that was and i was like what the gently caress are you doing in my industry

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Gazpacho posted:

last week i had a phone screen with a webdev and was trying to explain a project i had worked on by analogy to Windows GDI, he didn't know what that was and i was like what the gently caress are you doing in my industry

why would you just assume that someone has used GDI?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i didn't assume it i asked him

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
oh he didn't even know what it was. that's kind of funny but understandable

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

whoever asked about learning clojure: clojure programming is really good, especially if you work thru 4clojure stuff alongside it.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

etcetera08 posted:

whoever asked about learning clojure: clojure programming is really good, especially if you work thru 4clojure stuff alongside it.

that was me thank you

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

etcetera08 posted:

Beyond all the other cool stuff Clojure offers, it's new "reducers" which provide auto-parallelizable collections is an unbelievable killer feature.

Details here;
http://clojure.com/blog/2012/05/08/reducers-a-library-and-model-for-collection-processing.html

It's the first time I've run across a solid example where you can code at the speed of something like Ruby, and in a broad range of cases get better performance than normal C code. As always, your own mileage may vary though.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Meiwaku posted:

Beyond all the other cool stuff Clojure offers, it's new "reducers" which provide auto-parallelizable collections is an unbelievable killer feature.

Details here;
http://clojure.com/blog/2012/05/08/reducers-a-library-and-model-for-collection-processing.html

It's the first time I've run across a solid example where you can code at the speed of something like Ruby, and in a broad range of cases get better performance than normal C code. As always, your own mileage may vary though.

faster than parallel C?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

vapid cutlery posted:

faster than parallel C?

jit can be pretty magical

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

Meiwaku posted:

Details here;

stuff like this makes me excited about clojure but it also makes me worry that they'll keep adding in more random academic poo poo instead of making docs and error handling that aren't terrible

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

Stringent posted:

use Hash::Util 'lock_keys';

that owns

not sure if ur serious, but yes it helps catch typos if you decide to use a hash as an object. nowadays id probably use a moose object but w/e.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
I mean look at this poo poo

quote:

index
function

Usage: (index xrel ks)

Returns a map of the distinct values of ks in the xrel mapped to a
set of the maps in xrel with the corresponding values of ks.

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

what

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
how is clojure faster than java faster than c?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

salted hash browns posted:

how is clojure faster than java faster than c?
because jvm languages defer the final translation to machine code until runtime and therefore leave some flexibility as to how that happens. whereas with C the runtime generally just gets the machine code and has to pretend to execute it instruction by instruction

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 6, 2012

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

vapid cutlery posted:

faster than parallel C?

No, certainly not.

Writing high-performance parallel C/C++ code is in many cases like writing assembly code that's faster than what the C compiler produces. If you invest in that level of optimization you'll get the speed boost, but in many cases it's just not worth it.

Anything you can do in Clojure you can likely do faster in C/C++, but with a lot more work. Just like anything you can do in C/C++ you can do faster in assembly, but with a lot more work. You may remember similar discussions between the C and assembly guys in the mid-1980s.

It's just another tool for the toolbox, since there is no one tool that's best for everything.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Meiwaku posted:

No, certainly not.

Writing high-performance parallel C/C++ code is in many cases like writing assembly code that's faster than what the C compiler produces. If you invest in that level of optimization you'll get the speed boost, but in many cases it's just not worth it.

Anything you can do in Clojure you can likely do faster in C/C++, but with a lot more work. Just like anything you can do in C/C++ you can do faster in assembly, but with a lot more work. You may remember similar discussions between the C and assembly guys in the mid-1980s.

It's just another tool for the toolbox, since there is no one tool that's best for everything.

grand central dispatch

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Police Academy III posted:

I mean look at this poo poo

I think you're looking for this;
http://clojuredocs.org/clojure_core/clojure.set/index

The function doc strings are great when you're already familiar with the language, but sites with examples are better suited for when you're getting started. I find this is true for many different languages/systems, and is one reason why you have both the Camel and the Llama book for PERL.

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

Gazpacho posted:

because jvm languages defer the final translation to machine code until runtime and therefore leave some flexibility as to how that happens. whereas with C the runtime generally just gets the machine code and has to pretend to execute it instruction by instruction

yeah thats the theory.

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.
i figured i should get to know objc/cocoa whats a good babbys guide 2 objc/cocoa

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
posting to say that clojure owns and has made programming fun again

as has not reading for a degree in cs

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

Milkie Galore posted:

posting to say that clojure owns and has made programming fun again

i wish i had dumped cs before graduatin

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Milkie Galore posted:

Summer is almost over so time to halt my actual programming learning to deal with cs degree stuff. What really rustles my jimmies is the boring stuff taught in advanced calculus that has no practical application, instead of teaching like just one python class. I just need my degree for inane establishment nepotism reasons I don't give a poo poo about 18th century bullshit methods of calculating planes intersecting with cones.

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 6, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

cleanhands posted:

i figured i should get to know objc/cocoa whats a good babbys guide 2 objc/cocoa

learn C first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

Meiwaku posted:

I think you're looking for this;
http://clojuredocs.org/clojure_core/clojure.set/index

The function doc strings are great when you're already familiar with the language, but sites with examples are better suited for when you're getting started. I find this is true for many different languages/systems, and is one reason why you have both the Camel and the Llama book for PERL.

it's nice that someone is working on making the docs less lovely, but
  • why aren't these part of the official docs instead of on some third-party site? (although i guess lein lets you get examples from clojuredocs in a repl so that's p cool)
  • the concept of what a 'rel' is is never explained anywhere on the clojure.set docs page
  • the description for index is practically incomprehensible at any rate. the entire idea is a little wonky w/o some background in relational algebra but they definitely could've been a bit more verbose.