Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

Yeah oops. :downs:

I called and I can't do anything yet because somehow the line isn't officially released yet even though my ex went into a Verizon store to do specifically that . . . BUT it sounds like I will be allowed to keep my unlimited data and I'll pick out a new minutes plan just like in the old days. They did offer the Share Everything but it wasn't forced on me. I got the feeling that they cannot take the unlimited data line away from me without my permission because I'm sure they would have if they could.

No more subsidized phones for me! :v:

If you gathered this from talking to a rep chances are he/she is out of date with their information. The system will automatically drop the unlimited and flag the rep to go over tiered data options as soon feature validation goes through. If you're able to somehow slip through the cracks, that's awesome, but don't count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

kstatix posted:

If you gathered this from talking to a rep chances are he/she is out of date with their information. The system will automatically drop the unlimited and flag the rep to go over tiered data options as soon feature validation goes through. If you're able to somehow slip through the cracks, that's awesome, but don't count on it.

:argh:

Well we'll see when I actually go to get it done I guess. I'll try to remember to update the thread in case anyone else has to do this anytime soon.

Edit: Forgot to note, this was said by the AOL person also. Does that make a difference? I assumed she would know as she probably does it several times a day but maybe it's not that common of a thing now that unlimited data's been dead for like a year.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 6, 2012

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Question about the Galaxy Nexus connection issues.

I got my Nexus back in January, since then have had it on CDMA only 99% of the time due to battery issues. A couple weeks ago circumstances changed and I have access to a charger more often, so I've had it on CDMA/LTE. Only thing is signal reliability sucks. I often lose connection altogether while it appears to be switching from 4G to 3G even though I'm somewhere that has a solid 4G connection for other 4G phones/according to the coverage map.

Is this the data issues that Verizon has been replacing the phone for? And would any replacement be under my warranty (meaning it would require the deductible) or is it a free replacement since it appears to be some manner of manufacturer defect?

Thanks in advance for the info. Maybe I'll just switch back to only 3G.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Crow_Robot posted:

Question about the Galaxy Nexus connection issues.

I got my Nexus back in January, since then have had it on CDMA only 99% of the time due to battery issues. A couple weeks ago circumstances changed and I have access to a charger more often, so I've had it on CDMA/LTE. Only thing is signal reliability sucks. I often lose connection altogether while it appears to be switching from 4G to 3G even though I'm somewhere that has a solid 4G connection for other 4G phones/according to the coverage map.

Is this the data issues that Verizon has been replacing the phone for? And would any replacement be under my warranty (meaning it would require the deductible) or is it a free replacement since it appears to be some manner of manufacturer defect?

Thanks in advance for the info. Maybe I'll just switch back to only 3G.

I think those are just the radios inside the Gnex acting normally. Lots of people on this forum have commented saying that the radios in the Gnex are kinda garbage when compared to Verizons other 4G phones.

Maybe you're getting it confused with the other radio issue where people were reporting the signal was dropping out all-together? Although I thought that one was (mostly) fixed in the 4.04 update...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

I'm glad to see this mentioned as a recommended app for tethering. I didn't have any idea about what the best/preferred apps were, but it came up when I searched and was free so I decided to try it out. I don't use it regularly but it's really handy when my dsl randomly stops working.

When I go into the settings on my phone I saw it has a tethering and mobile hotspot option, but I was afraid to mess with it and then have verizon start charging me. :ohdear: I have a Droid Razr btw, and unlimited data that I am terrified of doing something to lose. Is it safe to use that hotspot setting or should I keep ignoring it and using FoxFi?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ed Mungo posted:

I'm glad to see this mentioned as a recommended app for tethering. I didn't have any idea about what the best/preferred apps were, but it came up when I searched and was free so I decided to try it out. I don't use it regularly but it's really handy when my dsl randomly stops working.

When I go into the settings on my phone I saw it has a tethering and mobile hotspot option, but I was afraid to mess with it and then have verizon start charging me. :ohdear: I have a Droid Razr btw, and unlimited data that I am terrified of doing something to lose. Is it safe to use that hotspot setting or should I keep ignoring it and using FoxFi?

If you use the built-in Verizon-provided hotspot, it will throw you against the paywall. There are workarounds for that, but most of them require QPST, which is a dangerous tool in the wrong hands.

You're best off just finding which of the apps in the Play Store work best.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If you have unlimited data, a Razr, and Foxfi what do you hope to gain by using Verizon's hotspot instead?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

JP Money posted:

If you have unlimited data, a Razr, and Foxfi what do you hope to gain by using Verizon's hotspot instead?

Probably hoping it will work better.

Problem is, Verizon's software is generally poo poo, so yeah.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Even walled in my office I get ok signal off Foxfi if I need to use it. I've never tried it in a more open area with full strength signal but it generally works pretty well for me.

Is there a shortcoming to the app? I don't use it beyond "oh poo poo, the main internet is out" so I honestly don't know the answer to that question.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

AlexDeGruven posted:

Probably hoping it will work better.

Problem is, Verizon's software is generally poo poo, so yeah.

I just wanted to know if using a downloaded app for something that was already on my phone was redundant, or if the stuff on my phone was a trap to make me pay verizon :20bux: and should be avoided. Question answered, so thanks!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Ahh I see now. Yeah no need paying for what you can do already for free.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My dad just got back from a trip to Taiwan last week, and his mobile data no longer works at all despite being enabled on his Android phone (casio gzone I think). I turned airplane mode on/off, but no luck - any idea what could be causing this?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
reboot the phone and/or power off and take out sim, let power cycle then put sim back in and turn it back on.

OR wait about a day after rebooting and it should update.

VVV yeah PRL update is the way to go.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

mastershakeman posted:

My dad just got back from a trip to Taiwan last week, and his mobile data no longer works at all despite being enabled on his Android phone (casio gzone I think). I turned airplane mode on/off, but no luck - any idea what could be causing this?
Try dialing *228.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Uh, doesn't that issues with 4G phones?

Edit: Oh, is that Casio phone even 4G? Nevermind then.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Uh, doesn't that issues with 4G phones?

Edit: Oh, is that Casio phone even 4G? Nevermind then.

*22899 for lte phones. Activated my jb nexus that way in a pinch

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I grabbed a towel for my wife off a table, not realizing her galaxy nexus was kinda tucked in the towel. The phone went flying, and while the battery didn't come out (the one time it doesn't fall out when the back of the phone comes off, go figure) the screen cracked in a number of places.

Someone mind refreshing my memory on if she can go through a local VZN store to get a new one, or if it's through Asurion and we don't have anything to do with VZN, or what...I've only dealt with Sprint in the past on getting new phones due to damage and am unaware as to if Verizon works differently. We have the protection plan that's something like $7? $10? $15? a month, something like that.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

wattershed posted:

I grabbed a towel for my wife off a table, not realizing her galaxy nexus was kinda tucked in the towel. The phone went flying, and while the battery didn't come out (the one time it doesn't fall out when the back of the phone comes off, go figure) the screen cracked in a number of places.

Someone mind refreshing my memory on if she can go through a local VZN store to get a new one, or if it's through Asurion and we don't have anything to do with VZN, or what...I've only dealt with Sprint in the past on getting new phones due to damage and am unaware as to if Verizon works differently. We have the protection plan that's something like $7? $10? $15? a month, something like that.

Just go http://www.asurion.com/web/asurion/mobile-security, it is a very easy process. This is assuming you have asurion unsure how it would work otherwise.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thanks, that did the trick.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

wattershed posted:

Like Texaholic said, just go to the website or call them and they'll walk you through it. It's a $100 deductible and they overnight you a replacement. If you're like me and get a replacement phone that doesn't work (I got two with faulty radios), ask for a brand new phone and they should send you one.

Edit: I saw someone mention that they took photos of the old phone before sending it back, which seems prudent because the return envelope they give you is pretty flimsy and they charge you a couple hundred bucks if the phone arrives with physical damage other than what you told them about.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 7, 2012

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Drifter287 posted:

Like Texaholic said, just go to the website or call them and they'll walk you through it. It's a $100 deductible and they overnight you a replacement. If you're like me and get a replacement phone that doesn't work (I got two with faulty radios), ask for a brand new phone and they should send you one.

Edit: I saw someone mention that they took photos of the old phone before sending it back, which seems prudent because the return envelope they give you is pretty flimsy and they charge you a couple hundred bucks if the phone arrives with physical damage other than what you told them about.

The photo thing is a great idea. Thanks guys.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Rumors and speculation ahoy!

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/07/motorola-teases-possible-razr-hd-unveiling-this-friday/

quote:

Motorola might finally be ready to unveil the Droid RAZR HD this Friday.

The Google-owned smartphone manufacturer posted a photo on Facebook with an outline of a smartphone and a hint that it will have 4G LTE. That alone isn’t much to go on, but we’ve seen the Motorola RAZR HD leaked for months now, so we can’t imagine any other phone Motorola would spend a few days teasing.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/07/motorola-droid-razr-hd-launch-date-still-unclear/

quote:

Earlier today, we thought we had the Motorola Droid RAZR HD launch date pinned down to this Friday, August 10th. However, it appears now that the Droid RAZR HD launch date is still up in the air after Motorola decided to dispute the rumors.

This morning, Motorola posted something peculiar on its Facebook wall. It posted a silhouette of a mystery 4G LTE device and said that it would be unveiling it this Friday.

This led many to believe that the company was teasing the Motorola Droid RAZR HD, a device that has been rumored for quite sometime but has yet to receive an official announcement.

According to Motorola’s official Twitter account though, the post on Facebook “references a device already available in the U.S. market. It is a game intended to engage w/ the FB community.”

Bollacks. Every three or four days I search google news for "Razr HD", and it's always the same swirling black hole of FUD.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Drifter287 posted:

On the flip side my recent replacement was brand new. And I've had zero problems.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

wattershed posted:

Condolences that happened, but at least you had coverage. I'd still make the claim, but i you don't want to play replacement roulette you might have another option. Did the glass just crack or did the whole touch sensor go out? If it's just glass you may be able to find a business in a mall kiosk or somewhere that will install a new screen. It's an option I honestly don't know all that much about.

Fake edit: Those AMOLED screens probably can't be seperated from the touch sensor so you probably are looking at a whole new screen. Or a whole phone.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

spengler posted:

Rumors and speculation ahoy!

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/07/motorola-teases-possible-razr-hd-unveiling-this-friday/

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/07/motorola-droid-razr-hd-launch-date-still-unclear/

Bollacks. Every three or four days I search google news for "Razr HD", and it's always the same swirling black hole of FUD.
User trials haven't started yet, still a month off probably :(

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

LaptopGun posted:

Condolences that happened, but at least you had coverage. I'd still make the claim, but i you don't want to play replacement roulette you might have another option. Did the glass just crack or did the whole touch sensor go out? If it's just glass you may be able to find a business in a mall kiosk or somewhere that will install a new screen. It's an option I honestly don't know all that much about.

Fake edit: Those AMOLED screens probably can't be seperated from the touch sensor so you probably are looking at a whole new screen. Or a whole phone.

It was just the screen...she told me today that it really doesn't bother her all that much, and for $100 to replace it she's okay with living with it for a while until she either forgets it's there or it gets worse. I've managed to stay out of the doghouse on this somehow, which I'd say is a moral victory I can hang my hat on.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Is there anything out of the ordinary going on with Amazon Wireless and their penny phones? How does that work?

I'm on Sprint and trying to help my brother and sister in law upgrade phones.

They are eligible and I would be hard pressed to recommend the SGS3 over the Samsung Galaxy Nexus at the respective price points, if everything is on the up and up and there's no funny business.

They are no where near being "power users". Maybe power facebook users, ha ha.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You have to keep the contract for at least six months or you have to pay full price.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
The penny phones have an additional ETF that you have to pay to amazon if you cancel the service before six months. I think it's $180.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Krime posted:

Is there anything out of the ordinary going on with Amazon Wireless and their penny phones? How does that work?
Verizon pays Amazon a commission for getting you to start a new contract. Amazon splits that money with you, hence the lower prices than Verizon's own contract price.

The catch is you need to keep the account active and on the same plan for 181 days. That is, you can't cancel, and you can't drop to a dumphone and ditch your data plan.

If you don't, Verizon takes back the commission from Amazon, and Amazon will claw it back from you in the form of a fee that will get charged straight to your credit card. This is in addition to whatever ETF you owe Verizon if you canceled the line.

edit: doubly beaten

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I don't think those stipulations will be a problem for them.

About the phones.

They are both coming from a Droid X. The Galaxy Nexus will be a step up, right?

Not too familiar with all of Verizon's offerings.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
And speaking to the Motorola rumor front in the last two weeks we saw a post from Motorola saying they were ready to start unlocking bootloaders, and most recently someone found a way to replace the kernel on the razr.

Eta for the first is who knows, maybe the second is much sooner.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

LaptopGun posted:

Yeah, the Galaxy Nexus screen is not easily replaceable like the iPhone screen. Samsung will do it but it's something like $160 and takes two weeks, and finding someone to repair it privately will probably cost near $300 from what I've read.

If the crack gets too big to just live with, refurb lotto for $100 is probably your best option. Even if you get a dud, they'll keep overnighting you phones at no charge till you get one that works.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I need to get my mother a new phone at the end of the month and her only real requirement is a great camera.

I know the iPhone and the Galaxy S III have great cameras, but I'd like to compare the best 5. Anyone have thoughts on this or a good resource I can compare them?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only other Verizon phone that apparently has a decent camera (though not as good as it could be) is the Incredible 4G.

There are barely 5 smartphones on Verizon that are worth considering as a purchase period.

iPhone
SGSIII
Razr MAXX
Inc 4G
Galaxy Nexus

The Razr and Galaxy Nexus both have fairly mediocre cameras.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The S3 and 4S use the same camera, I'm pretty sure, although there's some reports that some S3s are getting an inferior Samsung unit instead of the Sony unit of the others, but I don't know how true or prevalent that is.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
not suggesting you get one, but the HTC rezound has a great camera.

I agree with Bull though. I would only say galaxy nexus/razr maxx, personally. Having a physical button on the SGS3 is just straight up retarded.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

not suggesting you get one, but the HTC rezound has a great camera.

I agree with Bull though. I would only say galaxy nexus/razr maxx, personally. Having a physical button on the SGS3 is just straight up retarded.

The Galaxy Nexus camera is fine and certainly good enough for many/most people, but if someone's only criteria is a good camera, I don't think they should get it over an S3 or iPhone 4S. It should probably just be between those two. This is only one specific scene, but it gives you examples of all the ones people have recommended and more.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
What are the chances verizon gets the galaxy note 2? I'm not a big Samsung guy, but a phablet at 5.5" ... I must have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cuedotnet posted:

I'm not a big Samsung guy
Well, it's a big Samsung so I'm not sure it's right for you.

• Locked thread