Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Toady posted:

learn C first

no don't

objc/cocoa has its own way of working with strings that at first seams clumsier than c but is probably also better (i don't know enough objc to be sure but c strings are one of the worst things mankind has made in the last fifty years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tef posted:

the clojure guy thinks it is a bad thing iirc

not necessarily bad, just more complex than polymorphism and generic programming

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Socracheese posted:

Summer is almost over so time to halt my actual programming learning to deal with cs degree stuff. What really rustles my jimmies is the boring stuff taught in advanced calculus that has no practical application, instead of teaching like just one python class. I just need my degree for inane establishment nepotism reasons I don't give a poo poo about 18th century bullshit methods of calculating planes intersecting with cones.

should have gone to trade school i guess

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

should have gone to trade school i guess

yeah but I want to make money also lol trade school in the USA

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Socracheese posted:

yeah but I want to make money also lol trade school in the USA

do you seriously think people who work in a trade don't make money

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

do you seriously think people who work in a trade don't make money

I seriously think that programmers in the USA unarguably make more money if they have a CS degree regardless of how applicable it is

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Socracheese posted:

I seriously think that programmers in the USA unarguably make more money if they have a CS degree regardless of how applicable it is

Lol electricians and plumbers make bank, as long as they don't suck

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
true. also its not like theres this huge glut of freshly degreed 22 year olds that are willing to work for free b/c their boomer parents are terrified of dying alone and let them live at home for free

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Socracheese posted:

you literally couldn't be more wrong

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i wish i wasn't a programmer

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

true. also its not like theres this huge glut of freshly degreed 22 year olds that are willing to work for free b/c their boomer parents are terrified of dying alone and let them live at home for free
Trufact I am coding for my school and they wanted to pay me nothing but I'd get my name on a psychology publication and I told them I could rework their dumb system for dollars and they let me have it.

gucci void main posted:

you literally couldn't be more wrong
I.. I'm wrong according to sulk? My life no longer has direction

vapid cutlery posted:

i wish i wasn't a programmer
Well you're an android dev right, this is normal

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Socracheese posted:

Summer is almost over so time to halt my actual programming learning to deal with cs degree stuff. What really rustles my jimmies is the boring stuff taught in advanced calculus that has no practical application, instead of teaching like just one python class.

Advanced calculus is useful, I used advanced calculus at my job the other day. I forget exactly what it was for but I think it was for winning an argument with coworkers about a math problem. NO WAIT it was not for that, it was for estimating the difficulty of attacking a uuid generation scheme we were going to use because solving it myself was easier than looking up the answer.

Edit: Yes I'm pretty sure I can confirm that anybody who signs up for specific language classes is not a real person, they're just philosophical zombies. Why would a person want to sit in a classroom and be explained a language to them like a retard when they could just learn it on their own? It makes no sense. Go to trade school oh wait you're already going to one.

Edit II: Yes I did use advanced calculus, I was partially differentiating poo poo.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 6, 2012

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Socracheese posted:

I.. I'm wrong according to sulk? My life no longer has direction

tradesmen always have been and always will be more important/necessary than software developers until there are literal robots that independently can do those tasks (hint: not in our lifetimes)

like trex said, if you are actually worth your salt you will make bank

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the welding market is often in flux, but you can mig a lot of money as long as you're comfortable with acetylene for sometimes-hazardous work conditions

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It reminds me of when I was taking a summer program in high school in which the 'programming' classes used Scheme. And all the babbies were like, "How is this practical for me" as an excuse to ignore the fact that they couldn't understand recursion. Then we did some more practical programming and lo and behold, the people who actually got poo poo done weren't the ones whining about Scheme.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

no don't

objc/cocoa has its own way of working with strings that at first seams clumsier than c but is probably also better (i don't know enough objc to be sure but c strings are one of the worst things mankind has made in the last fifty years)

yes, cocoa provides string objects, why is that a reason not to know c?

you need to know c because you will be working with c types, pointers, functions, structs, CoreFoundation, etc. objective-c is nothing more than plain c with an object runtime and messaging syntax

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

shrughes posted:

Go to trade school oh wait you're already going to one.
I'm not really arguing that my at least somewhat respected university isn't basically a daycare and more of a test of how many bullshit hoops you can jump through but them's the ropes.

But yeah I guess now that I think about it a python class is kinda dumb and I did learn a bunch of neat stuff in my C classes even though I never use C for anything.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Socracheese posted:

Well you're an android dev right, this is normal

i do and have developed for multiple platforms

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

all the whining about being a programmer and how much the industry sucks is pretty funny to me, a (admittedly naive) 22 yr old who is jumping from his english major at a liberal arts school to a cs minor and self teaching a buncha other poo poo so i can actually get a job. knowing how to program puts you in a much better financial position than a lot of other skills, at least in the usa.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

etcetera08 posted:

all the whining about being a programmer and how much the industry sucks is pretty funny to me, a (admittedly naive) 22 yr old who is jumping from his english major at a liberal arts school to a cs minor and self teaching a buncha other poo poo so i can actually get a job. knowing how to program puts you in a much better financial position than a lot of other skills, at least in the usa.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Former english major here to drop some science on y'all,

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

etcetera08 posted:

lol if you go to college to learn how to program

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

graph posted:

well yeah, but i was already here and it provides a good foundation. i'm not staying to get a full cs degree at least.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

etcetera08 posted:

drat guys, let's all shut up about unpaid overtime

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh man, i could work in my pajamas? sign me up

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

ya ya scoff at me b/c i probably deserve it but learning how to program has put me in a much better position for my future life is all i'm sayin

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

etcetera08 posted:

yeah pretty much if you're an unemployed person who can program your only excuse is that you're living in the wrong place

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

graph posted:

I went to college to learn how incredibly dumb smart people can be.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Socracheese posted:

Dumb poo poo.

I just want to let you know that because of your apathy towards advanced mathematics and your use of the phrase "rustles my jimmies," I've called my colleagues and had you blacklisted from all major bay area programming jobs.

Saves them the trouble of interviewing you and you the trouble of failing an interview for both personal and technical reasons, so everybody wins.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
you've gotta be pretty bad to get blacklisted from the failed startup capital of the world

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
lol 22 year old still in college who has it all figured out

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah pretty much if you're an unemployed person who can program your only excuse is that you're living in the wrong place

i need to learn how to program good

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i have pretty much 0 idea how to program correctly and i got a PO for $20,000 today...?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

abraham linksys posted:

i need to learn how to program good

eh, i wouldn't stress on it

unbridled problem-solving ability has a place even if you don't do things The Right Way

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

eh, i wouldn't stress on it

unbridled problem-solving ability has a place even if you don't do things The Right Way

apparently he can't solve of the problem of figuring out how to not be a bad programmer tho

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

buttcoin smuggler posted:

apparently he can't solve of the problem of figuring out how to not be a bad programmer tho

all programmers are bad

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

buttcoin smuggler posted:

I just want to let you know that because of your apathy towards advanced mathematics and your use of the phrase "rustles my jimmies," I've called my colleagues and had you blacklisted from all major bay area programming jobs.

Saves them the trouble of interviewing you and you the trouble of failing an interview for both personal and technical reasons, so everybody wins.

Sergei... is that you ???

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

0xB16B00B5 posted:

lol 22 year old still in college who has it all figured out

i'm working as a cashier at a gas station, i ain't got anything figured out

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

me be happy with my life? what am I, a billionaire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gucci void main posted:

like trex said, if you are actually worth your salt you will make bank

:qq: MY MERITOCRACY :qq: