Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

landcollector posted:

There is no such thing as Inferno MRMs, sorry.

Right, drat, forgot again.

Tentative move orders:
Turn SW, run 2529 → 2031 (6MP, 5 hexes, TH + 2). Torso twist NW. Fire on V1 Donar with 2x flamers (TH 7; + 1 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement) and 3x MRM-10 (TH 6; + 1 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement - 1 iLK). Heat + 20, sink -18; net +2). Melee target with best TH.

This exposes me to side/back shots from H3 Incubus (TH 9 for LPL & 2x ERMLs) and H1 Thresher (TH 8 for UAC/10 (Clantech is bullshit), TH 9 for 2x MPLs, TH 10 for ERML).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

Perhaps, but they're still one step behind the Lyran Irregulars, who have already mastered equipping their mechs with half-circle shaped tubes that they can catch the stream in and redirect it back at the firing unit.

I'm trying to picture this in my head and all I can envision is giant robot poo Jai-alai.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rivensteel posted:

Right, drat, forgot again.

Tentative move orders:
Turn SW, run 2529 → 2031 (6MP, 5 hexes, TH + 2). Torso twist NW. Fire on V1 Donar with 2x flamers (TH 7; + 1 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement) and 3x MRM-10 (TH 6; + 1 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement - 1 iLK). Heat + 20, sink -18; net +2). Melee target with best TH.

This exposes me to side/back shots from H3 Incubus (TH 9 for LPL & 2x ERMLs) and H1 Thresher (TH 8 for UAC/10 (Clantech is bullshit), TH 9 for 2x MPLs, TH 10 for ERML).

You won't be able to melee the donar, since it's up in the air.

However, I think you'll be taking shots from the side rather than the rear arc from H3, H1, T6, and I think you'll also have cover for your legs.

I think given your reduced movement, you've got very few good options regardless, so this isn't a bad one.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

That Italian Guy posted:

Actual Death Commandos' training.

By the way, why are the Clan tanks keeping on with their rule of engagement even if we haven't issued a batchall?

Habit? Like we keep seeing, this is a second-line force in a military that trains a certain mindset almost exclusively. Honestly this is more likely just their training working (against them :downs:).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It worked on the front liners at the very beginning of the invasion. In the regular universe it took several years to finally get the Crusaders to put Zell behind them when dealing with the Inner Sphere. Centuries of ritualized combat tend to do that to people.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Wow, this thread got a ton of posts while I was at work let's see :barf:

... Someone do a rundown of the Clan tanks on the field so I can pretend everything involving gastrointestinal distress never happened.

Also, everyone needs to see why the Hephaestus is my favorite (looking) Clan tank.

That Italian Guy posted:

By the way, why are the Clan tanks keeping on with their rule of engagement even if we haven't issued a batchall?

Training. Plus, I'd have killed at least one `Mech by now if they were concentrating fire.

VVV Timelines yadda yadda. Plus, it's not like the Hephaestus is overpowered.

I mean, it's not the Epona.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 5, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Favorite tank that shouldn't exist yet

It is cute though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sorry, but I can't tank unless I can master me some savannas.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Training. Plus, I'd have killed at least one `Mech by now if they were concentrating fire.

This is why i like this LP so much...it really feels both like a story and a game at the same time, without exceding too much in one direction or the other. The story doesn't hamper the game mechanics and the dice rolling isn't cheesed out.

Truly a well directed game, PTN!

Arraxis
Jul 10, 2012
Ahh, thanks for the clarification on tank Rules of Engagement - I was unaware that they had their own, and assumed that they were considered to be without honour. Hell's Horses is different, admittedly, but still, good to know. I wonder if future battles in this campaign will still have the clanners following the rules of engagement, since they'll have had time to react to what's going on and come to grips with fighting Inner Sphere units. If so, I get the feeling that we're going to be glad to have attacked a difficult area first. As soon as they start concentrating fire, losses will definitely pick up, even if we are the elite.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Well, in the original timeline this was one of the causes of Clanners downfall, in the end. They kept "playing war" and were not used to fight mechwarriors that didn't abide by their code.

This is a different timeline, though...so who knows! :D

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
I sent my orders in, going to move to 1123 and shoot at H5, sorry I didn't have them in already late night and early work.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SageSepth posted:

I sent my orders in, going to move to 1123 and shoot at H5, sorry I didn't have them in already late night and early work.

:argh: All my plans ruined. :negative:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

AtomikKrab posted:

:argh: All my plans ruined. :negative:

Your turn to play is almost upon us. I am pretty sure your plans will carry more weight for that game. As is, I doubt anybody is listening to this armchair general scuttling about. Krabs are treacherous creatures.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Your turn to play is almost upon us. I am pretty sure your plans will carry more weight for that game. As is, I doubt anybody is listening to this armchair general scuttling about. Krabs are treacherous creatures.

I counter with this :ducksiren: Also yes extremely treacherous... FOR THE CLANS.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

AtomikKrab posted:

I counter with this :ducksiren: Also yes extremely treacherous... FOR THE CLANS.

That... that might be the single most terrifying thing I have ever seen. It is gazing into my soul and it finds me lacking.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just recorded some sound-clips for my own rundown of the Clan vehicles; however... I'm really reluctant to actually splice them together into a quick video since it turns out any information I give out is basically a: 'How do we trivialize this entire fight 101'

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

That... that might be the single most terrifying thing I have ever seen. It is gazing into my soul and it finds me lacking.

When Krab's Urbanmech will trip-and-go-boom on the very first movement order, you'll be avenged. :italy:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SageSepth posted:

:( I suggested 1124, because it puts you 9 hexes from H5 and therefore in his long range bracket for his MPLs. At 1123 you're in medium range of them; while you'll move 3 hexes instead of 2, which pushes your to-hit mod up by 1, the shorter range "gives back" 2 to-hit with the MPLs. I suppose it does make you 1 pt harder to hit with his two ERPPCs and his SRM-6, though.

Now I think about it, I'm not sure which is the right hex. It's a close call.

e. actually, I believe it's 4 MPs to get to 1124, and 6 to get to 1123. When you combine your own to-hit penalty for running to get to 1123, you're almost certainly better off in 1124.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 6, 2012

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I just recorded some sound-clips for my own rundown of the Clan vehicles; however... I'm really reluctant to actually splice them together into a quick video since it turns out any information I give out is basically a: 'How do we trivialize this entire fight 101'

You could perhaps release them gradually as we learn about them? I mean, odds are as soon as a certain vehicle appears, someone will be pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of it.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

:( I suggested 1124, because it puts you 9 hexes from H5 and therefore in his long range bracket for his MPLs. At 1123 you're in medium range of them; while you'll move 3 hexes instead of 2, which pushes your to-hit mod up by 1, the shorter range "gives back" 2 to-hit with the MPLs. I suppose it does make you 1 pt harder to hit with his two ERPPCs and his SRM-6, though.

Now I think about it, I'm not sure which is the right hex. It's a close call.

:( Watch as SageSepth gets buzzsawed by 5 MPLs.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

landcollector posted:

:( Watch as SageSepth gets buzzsawed by 5 MPLs.

Better than the flashman getting buzzsawed... really i'm serious that is a vintage flashman and far better than the charger.

:ducksiren: Knox click on it... you must.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 6, 2012

GeorgeLedoux
Aug 1, 2012

Yet again, any person foolish to face the Merc Man goes down in flames. He's the real deal, and he's just as good in the arena as he is in the field. He's even got his own fan club I hear.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If ya ever need any help with that kinda thing, I know a guy...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's really hard to completely trivialize a fight with even semi-competent force composition. BattleTech likes to happen, you know?

E: George, can you say "Brought to you by Defiance Industries" just one time?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 6, 2012

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

GeorgeLedoux posted:

I wholeheartily support this.

vvv Or rather, reboot the entire series, starting with the events in this thread. Make PTNcanon THE canon!

Rorac fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 6, 2012

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

GeorgeLedoux posted:

Ya know what, someone just buy PTN the rights to the entire franchise at this point. We could make a Mechwarrior game that would surpass anything the world has ever seen with all the raw talent in this thread.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RedMagus posted:

Ya know what, someone just buy PTN the rights to the entire franchise at this point. We could make a Mechwarrior game that would surpass anything the world has ever seen with all the raw talent in this thread.
I'm sure that when PTN's first Battletech full-length novel becomes the biggest hit in years for the series, he'll get to be a writer for the next game. Give it time yo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GeorgeLedoux posted:

Pausing the short story to do a quick written analysis. :aaa:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GeorgeLedoux posted:

Holy poo poo this is going to be the greatest thing :dance:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I still think the best way for the gooncompany to handle this is with massed physical attacks. If you outnumber people, go for kick circles! It's the gang warfare equivalent of steiner rules.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Arcturas posted:

I still think the best way for the gooncompany to handle this is with massed physical attacks. If you outnumber people, go for kick circles! It's the gang warfare equivalent of steiner rules.
The problem (for some of us) is getting there: there's nothing like not being in a jump-jets-equipped 'mech to make you realise how useful they are.
That being said, let's see how suicidal I can get before actually dieing.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

radintorov posted:

The problem (for some of us) is getting there: there's nothing like not being in a jump-jets-equipped 'mech to make you realise how useful they are.
That being said, let's see how suicidal I can get before actually dieing.

It's likely a better idea to be selective in our aggression rather than make suicide rushes (at this point anyway), as our decisions will directly affect other players' chances down the line.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

landcollector posted:

It's likely a better idea to be selective in our aggression rather than make suicide rushes (at this point anyway), as our decisions will directly affect other players' chances down the line.

Speaking as a pilot in the next mission, please don't go on suicide rushes. By all means, win the scenario, but try to do do so in a fashion that leaves us a chance to win the next one too!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Speaking as a pilot in the next mission, please don't go on suicide rushes. By all means, win the scenario, but try to do do so in a fashion that leaves us a chance to win the next one too!
Oh, don't worry: I'm not purposefully trying to get my pilot killed.
It's just that currently I'm kinda between an hammer and an anvil, and given the movement penalties, I'll have to maneuver aggressively inside the trench to try and avoid getting hit by all the enemies near me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

radintorov posted:

Oh, don't worry: I'm not purposefully trying to get my pilot killed.
It's just that currently I'm kinda between an hammer and an anvil, and given the movement penalties, I'll have to maneuver aggressively inside the trench to try and avoid getting hit by all the enemies near me.

You could follow my suggestion...

Ptn is purposefully not focusing fire on anyone right now, you are running on they are all going to shoot me. They won't, they are going to be busy fighting other people.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Arcturas posted:

I don't think Mr. Ledoux's friend needs physical intimidation to help PTN with the sound check, but better safe than sorry, i suppose.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

All scenarios will be winnable.

They may be difficult, but it will be possible to win without relying entirely on luck.

VVV I emphasized the wrong word. Also, I more mean: without relying on the enemy's luck to be worse than yours.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 7, 2012

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PoptartsNinja posted:

They may be difficult, but it will be possible to win without relying entirely on luck.

Are we still talking about the same Battletech?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

All scenarios will be winnable.

VVV I emphasized the wrong word. Also, I more mean: without relying on the enemy's luck to be worse than yours.

Even so Are we still talking about the same battletech? :sugartits:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skillness622
Apr 9, 2009
One thing, do we know/have guessed at how many scenarios each Company will have to fight?

• Locked thread