Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

LintMan posted:

Finished up some Italians for a 600pt FOW Early War tournament in a few weeks time. Should be a laugh, they have a variable rating so I roll each game to see what skill and morale each platoons gets.

TheBlobThing posted:

Looks good, but how about putting some decals on those tanks? (Tin cans? Steel coffins?)

Ha! Not in Early War. Those M13/39s are (slow) monsters. They cost less than any comparable tank and even some lesser tanks. The 3/2/1 armor means it has a better chance of bouncing most anti-tank weapondry (most are AT6 at this point). Not to mention it has a co-ax and twin hull MG with that ROF2 47mm so you're always firing more shots than your opponet.

The M13/39 is pretty much the best tank in Early War. Then again I haven't really played against much EW armor because the idiots I've been playing against won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Otherwise, LintMan, I'm loving those Bersaglieri. You'll have to let me know how things go for you, my Italian brother :italy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

Ha! Not in Early War.

I guess I got served. :eng99:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheBlobThing posted:

I guess I got served. :eng99:

Well, I do play with idiots, so there's that...

What army did you go up against?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
My French artillerie à Pied. Finished the first cannon. The barrel is loose so I can switch between medium gun, heavy gun or howitzer option.

Also, (mini-crossposting from the painting thread) a single shot of my brigade general:

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
So, I have not played FoW in ages - I sold my old armies a while ago because there was no place to play within easy travelling distance of me, etc. However, I just found a new game store nearby - and they are trying to get people together to run some EW tournaments, or maybe an escalation league.

Are there any major differences in playstyle I should be aware of? I am not huge on ~win first~ playing in FoW, but it would be nice to hear some trip reports before I dive head first into it again.

Edit - Also I haven't played since Second Edition - I took a quick look through the 2nd -> 3rd edition quickstart guide, and it mostly just seemed to be cleaning up language/clarifying things, along with the changes to movement. Did I miss something obvious?

DiscipleoftheClaw fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 28, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

DiscipleoftheClaw posted:

So, I have not played FoW in ages - I sold my old armies a while ago because there was no place to play within easy travelling distance of me, etc. However, I just found a new game store nearby - and they are trying to get people together to run some EW tournaments, or maybe an escalation league.

Are there any major differences in playstyle I should be aware of? I am not huge on ~win first~ playing in FoW, but it would be nice to hear some trip reports before I dive head first into it again.

Edit - Also I haven't played since Second Edition - I took a quick look through the 2nd -> 3rd edition quickstart guide, and it mostly just seemed to be cleaning up language/clarifying things, along with the changes to movement. Did I miss something obvious?

There's a few things changed around, though a lot of it seems to be changes in wording or streamlining things. For example, assaulting works differently in regards to how defensive fire, participating units, and motivation is handled.

They just yesterday released a big .pdf that 'updates' the EW books for 3rd Edition, so be sure to get a copy of that.

Otherwise, what area are you in?

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.

YF19pilot posted:

There's a few things changed around, though a lot of it seems to be changes in wording or streamlining things. For example, assaulting works differently in regards to how defensive fire, participating units, and motivation is handled.

They just yesterday released a big .pdf that 'updates' the EW books for 3rd Edition, so be sure to get a copy of that.

Otherwise, what area are you in?

Oh neat, I totally did not see that PDF.

I am in North Jersey, which is a strange place for wargaming. I have not played at this store yet, so it may end up being another horrible cesspit of people I can't actually roll dice with.
FoW is not that much fun for me when people are superduper competitive about it, which tends to be the only way it gets played in the NYC area I've found.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

DiscipleoftheClaw posted:

Oh neat, I totally did not see that PDF.

I am in North Jersey, which is a strange place for wargaming. I have not played at this store yet, so it may end up being another horrible cesspit of people I can't actually roll dice with.
FoW is not that much fun for me when people are superduper competitive about it, which tends to be the only way it gets played in the NYC area I've found.

My 'group' here in Ohio aren't super competitive, but can be stupid about things from time to time. Enough so that I'm trying to find another LGS to play at (sometimes hard to do when you have a life and work, etc, etc.). Also, folks at my LGS absolutely refuse to play Early War for no reason whatsoever. I actually have not played EW in a good few months now.

Good luck, and have fun.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Anyone want to get started playing Napoleonic Russians?

http://www.warlordgames.com/us-store/black-powder/army-deals/napoleonic-wars-russian-army-deal.html

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Napoleonic/big regiment historical minis in anything above 6mm never made much sense to me. Since massed formations was the essence of warfare back then you're never going to capture that with s handful of 28mm figures.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

Napoleonic/big regiment historical minis in anything above 6mm never made much sense to me. Since massed formations was the essence of warfare back then you're never going to capture that with s handful of 28mm figures.

Well that's more than a handful.

The trick is having a 20' table.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anybody have a copy of Warmaster Medieval they'd want to sell me? I just found out that it actually came out after all. Some fuckers are scalping it for $260 on Amazon, and for a 120 page softcover that's batshit insane.

It looks like Plastic Soldier Company is going ahead with Battlegroup Kursk, which was Warwick Kinrade's Kampfgruppe Kursk for WH Historicals when they crashed. So that's good at least. Preorders are up, and there's some kind of drawing for the first 500.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's a smidge cheaper than Kampfgruppe Normandy was, but if it isn't significantly tidied up and generally less half-finished it's not worth spending anything on.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
More Napoleonics. My French foot arty in a better light, with a better paint scheme on the barrels.

This is the limber for the battery.

Edit:

Scratch Monkey posted:

Why paint beautiful and colourful uniforms, when you can't even see them?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TheBlobThing posted:

Why paint beautiful and colourful uniforms, when you can't even see them?

Quantity has a quality of its own. You can get enough of the paint scheme on a 6mm figure that the unit as a whole looks like... a whole unit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

It's a smidge cheaper than Kampfgruppe Normandy was, but if it isn't significantly tidied up and generally less half-finished it's not worth spending anything on.

They have supposedly improved on the base system, but I don't think it'll fall too far from the Warhammer tree. Or maybe it can, now that it's no longer a GW publication.

Scratch Monkey posted:

28mm is very appropriate for skirmish-based stuff like French Indian Wars or prohibition era gangland, but it also works for huge battles if you consider that the table only represents your section of a larger ongoing battle.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's actually a really good article in this month's Wargames Illustrated about playing Napoleonics at various scales and model counts.

There were more than just big battles with thousands of dudes on the field in the wars, so there's no reason you can't play smaller-level actions in 28mm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

They have supposedly improved on the base system, but I don't think it'll fall too far from the Warhammer tree. Or maybe it can, now that it's no longer a GW publication.
It had major holes in the rules, like no rule for vehicles turning, but instead a rule for vehicles going backwards :psyduck:

It was a really rough vanity publication, and TBH it needed a hell of a lot of playtesting before it saw the light of day.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I remember there being some major flaws along those lines. I gave up on it when I couldn't even find basing conventions. At least I can ebay it to pay for BG: Kursk if it's a finished game.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's not a bad game, exactly, it's just unfinished. With a bit of cop on and common sense it ends up being reasonably playable and fun enough. I just had a bad first game where a lot of those edge cases came up.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Colonial Air Force posted:

There were more than just big battles with thousands of dudes on the field in the wars, so there's no reason you can't play smaller-level actions in 28mm.

Sure but I always saw the appeal of that era being in commanding ranks upon ranks of troops so you can pretend you're Napoleon pushing regiments and divisions around austerlitz. There are entry of other settings where company sized skirmish games make more sense, to least to me.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Scratch Monkey posted:

Sure but I always saw the appeal of that era being in commanding ranks upon ranks of troops so you can pretend you're Napoleon pushing regiments and divisions around austerlitz. There are entry of other settings where company sized skirmish games make more sense, to least to me.

No matter what scale you're playing at you're your figures are going to be an abstraction of the total forces that were present at whatever battle. No one is going to field 100,000+ minis no matter how small they are. 28mm is just slightly more of an abstraction than 6mm, with the upside of having minis you can paint to a decent standard.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Flippycunt posted:

No matter what scale you're playing at you're your figures are going to be an abstraction of the total forces that were present at whatever battle. No one is going to field 100,000+ minis no matter how small they are. 28mm is just slightly more of an abstraction than 6mm, with the upside of having minis you can paint to a decent standard.

You can paint 6mm to a fantastic standard.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Flippycunt posted:

I'm not familiar with battles where 100,000+ men were on the field, but even so, I find abstraction to be the worse offense of the two. gently caress your ratios, I want 1:1 or I'm going home.

As far as this idea that 6mm can't be painted up well, I'm not sure where you've been looking, but it certainly hasn't been this thread. Serotonin's work alone should shame you in your opinions.

EDIT: I guess Waterloo was over 100,000 on one side, and not much less on the other. My point still stands.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 7, 2012

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Flippycunt posted:

You clearly aren't aware of some of the grognards that are into historicals, because there sure as heck are people that probably push into the tens of thousands onto a single table. It's a big as gently caress table, but it's done.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm not familiar with battles where 100,000+ men were on the field, but even so, I find abstraction to be the worse offense of the two. gently caress your ratios, I want 1:1 or I'm going home.

As far as this idea that 6mm can't be painted up well, I'm not sure where you've been looking, but it certainly hasn't been this thread. Serotonin's work alone should shame you in your opinions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borodino
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Waterloo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jena-Auerstedt

I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting to play in 6mm I was only trying to explain why others would prefer larger models. They're easier to paint to a decent standard and contain more detail than a smaller model will. I am only a decent painter of toy soldiers, and I can paint a 28mm figure so that it looks good. If I were to paint a 6mm it would probably look like a tri-colored blob. Since I personally spend about 10x as much time painting as I do playing so I want my models to be large and look good on display, that's just my preference.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 7, 2012

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Devlan Mud posted:

You clearly aren't aware of some of the grognards that are into historicals, because there sure as heck are people that probably push into the tens of thousands onto a single table. It's a big as gently caress table, but it's done.

http://towton-2011.blogspot.co.uk/

1 to 1 scale of the largest battle on UK soil. 50000 soldiers. Saw it at Salute 2011, it was incredible.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Flippycunt posted:

They're easier to paint to a decent standard and contain more detail than a smaller model will. I am only a decent painter of toy soldiers, and I can paint a 28mm figure so that it looks good. If I were to paint a 6mm it would probably look like a tri-colored blob.

But this is where you are wrong.

You're looking at 6mm as individual 6mm models, which is incorrect. 6mm models are units, not individuals. Do they have less detail? Of course. But as a whole, they look just as good (and sometimes better) than 28mm models, especially when we're talking about tabletop standard, and not "in a lightbox in a photo studio", which is a standard magazine publishers like, but is rather useless on a gaming table.

You shouldn't let your admitted lack of painting skills bias you here. 6mm can and does look great, just as great as any 28mm model.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Serotonin posted:

http://towton-2011.blogspot.co.uk/

1 to 1 scale of the largest battle on UK soil. 50000 soldiers. Saw it at Salute 2011, it was incredible.

Yeah, how many people can pull that off? Maybe 20 people in the whole world? There are dudes who have entire space marine chapters 1:1, but your average player can't field that kinda poo poo.

What I'm trying to say is there is almost always gonna abstraction unless you're some sort of millionaire sperglord. Waterloo had a battlefront length of 2.5 miles, even at 6mm you're looking at a 40' foot long table if you're playing "to scale".

I personally don't mind abstraction, it doesn't bother me. To each his own.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Flippycunt posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borodino
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Waterloo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jena-Auerstedt

I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting to play in 6mm I was only trying to explain why others would prefer larger models. They're easier to paint to a decent standard and contain more detail than a smaller model will. I am only a decent painter of toy soldiers, and I can paint a 28mm figure so that it looks good. If I were to paint a 6mm it would probably look like a tri-colored blob. Since I personally spend about 10x as much time painting as I do playing so I want my models to be large and look good on display, that's just my preference.

As someone who has been painting for close to 25 years and to a reasonable standard in all scales, 6mm is by far the easiest scale to make a figure/unit look decent. its about expectation.

You look at a single 28mm figure from an arms length away. You look at a unit of 6mm from an arms length away. The whole point of 6mm is the massed look, not the individual figure.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Flippycunt posted:

Yeah, how many people can pull that off? Maybe 20 people in the whole world? There are dudes who have entire space marine chapters 1:1, but your average player can't field that kinda poo poo.

What I'm trying to say is there is almost always gonna abstraction unless you're some sort of millionaire sperglord. Waterloo had a battlefront length of 2.5 miles, even at 6mm you're looking at a 40' foot long table if you're playing "to scale".

Not really. 100 6mm dudes are around £5. My Napoleonic armies alone weigh in at around 2000 figures. Cheaper than a 40k army.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Flippycunt posted:

Also, it's not usually one dude controlling (or owning) that entire force.

EDIT: If you were a millionaire sperglord you could afford to have 172,000 reenactors meet you at Waterloo

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Exactly, so unless you're willing to drop 2500£ on models, build a 40' table, or gather a ton of other dudes who have armies, you're gonna have to abstract it some.

Maybe my expectations are just colored by years of playing warhammer/40k but when I buy a model I generally expect to be able to build him in different poses and paint him up to stand on his own merits.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Flippycunt posted:

Exactly, so unless you're willing to drop 2500£ on models, build a 40' table, or gather a ton of other dudes who have armies, you're gonna have to abstract it some.

Maybe my expectations are just colored by years of playing warhammer/40k but when I buy a model I generally expect to be able to build him in different poses and paint him up to stand on his own merits.

Your expectations are definitely colored (unfairly) by poseable plastics, yes.

In fact, those would be terrible for Napoleonics (and almost all historicals aside from skrimishing games) because soldiers lined up together in big blocks and looked uniform.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I've bought most of my French from Victrix which are (somewhat) pose-able. They line up just fine.

At any rate, my budget for Napoleonic figures is like 200 bucks so no matter what I'm going to have a dinky force, and I'd rather have larger figures that I can paint eyeballs on and draw little regimental logos and poo poo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Flippycunt posted:

I've bought most of my French from Victrix which are (somewhat) pose-able. They line up just fine.

At any rate, my budget for Napoleonic figures is like 200 bucks so no matter what I'm going to have a dinky force, and I'd rather have larger figures that I can paint eyeballs on and draw little regimental logos and poo poo.

For about $200 you could buy entire divisions in 6mm, enough for a large force from each side of the conflict you're gaming.

Obviously it's up to you, and it's going to be whatever your friends play.

But you shouldn't be discounting 6mm as stupid, like you've basically been doing in here, just because it isn't what you want to play.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

But you shouldn't be discounting 6mm as stupid, like you've basically been doing in here, just because it isn't what you want to play.

:confused: I never said it was stupid. I've been advocating that people play whatever they prefer. I was just explaining why some people prefer larger models after posts like this started popping up:

Scratch Monkey posted:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Flippycunt posted:

I've actually seen Waterloo done in 1:1 ratio using 20mil. It was... insane.

28mil is rather expensive by comparison to other scales partially because it's large, but partially because GW sort of psychically make people set their price limit for the scale pretty high. If you only have 200 dollars you can do a few thousand men in 20mil.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Remember those PSC Russians I bought? I finally painted some of them:

They're beautiful models. Tons of detail, expressive faces, good poses, and realistic proportions.

And the grenade throwing guy looks MUCH better in practice than he did standing on the sprue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As soon as I get a decent way of storing them I'll be doing exactly that. They really are charming little dudes, and the new AT gun sets are starting to fill out the range nicely.