Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JackDarko posted:

Thank you, since I saw it was available on amazon I was thinking someone might have already gotten it. You're the man.

The Omni looks pretty good man, my phone died or I'd post pictures. It's average Omni sized unlike the SImonson Thor book so binding shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Also out tomorrow is the Morrison Action Comics HC and it's a great package all around with the stories in the order Grant intended, followed by the backups and every variant cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Rhyno posted:

The Omni looks pretty good man, my phone died or I'd post pictures. It's average Omni sized unlike the SImonson Thor book so binding shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Also out tomorrow is the Morrison Action Comics HC and it's a great package all around with the stories in the order Grant intended, followed by the backups and every variant cover.

Does it have the same cover Amazon shows?

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

JackDarko posted:

Does it have the same cover Amazon shows?

New X-Men Omnibus?

Yes.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Glenn Danzig posted:

New X-Men Omnibus?

Yes.

Awesome, thank you.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Rhyno posted:

Also out tomorrow is the Morrison Action Comics HC and it's a great package all around with the stories in the order Grant intended

I always feel like I'm being punished for buying monthly singles.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Padje posted:

I always feel like I'm being punished for buying monthly singles.
DC balances that feeling by waiting months and months after an arc is finished to release things or just not putting it out in trade at all!

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

DC balances that feeling by waiting months and months after an arc is finished to release things or just not putting it out in trade at all!

It's best when they actually solcit a book and then cancel it at the last minute. Still bitter about Suicide Squad vol 2 and Night force.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shameless posted:

It's best when they actually solcit a book and then cancel it at the last minute. Still bitter about Suicide Squad vol 2 and Night force.

Where is my god drat Shade the Changing Man Vol 4! :argh: It does not matter for me now as I got the rest of the series but still it would be nice to have the whole series in trade. Also good job DC having trades like Lucifier go OOP.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm still pissed they never even solicited Booster Gold volume 7, which would have collected the last nine issues -- the end of the Giffen/DeMatteis run and the Jurgens Flashpoint stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
JLI never did get finished being collected, did it? Not just stopping the HCs at volume four, but stopping the TPBs a couple volumes later.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

JLI never did get finished being collected, did it? Not just stopping the HCs at volume four, but stopping the TPBs a couple volumes later.
Nope. 6 trades out, last one came out in early 2011. Put a fork in it.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

redbackground posted:

Nope. 6 trades out, last one came out in early 2011. Put a fork in it.

Dont forget it was HC until volume 5 then TPB only. F DC x 1,000,000 for that and Suicide Squad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

To be fair, the 52 trades have been pretty timely in their release. We all know it won't happen but Action was probably the longest wait at 3 1/2 months.

Edit: hahaha, guess I'll end up with an avatar no matter what I do!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

To be fair, the 52 trades have been pretty timely in their release. We all know it won't happen but Action was probably the longest wait at 3 1/2 months.

Edit: hahaha, guess I'll end up with an avatar no matter what I do!

Really all the dark stuff have having their first trade in October when it is close to there second arc ending

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Really all the dark stuff have having their first trade in October when it is close to there second arc ending

Still better than it used to be! We've seen over 25 trades from DC before the 12th issue hit!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Wow, I have nothing compared to some of you guys! Just adding more to it piece by piece.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I have to ask: what is blurred out?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Kunzelman posted:

I have to ask: what is blurred out?

Oh just some old novels, my old scout manual. I suppose I didn't need to blur them out, but eh. That's just mentally where my collection ends, I suppose, even if there are a few other non comics on the shelf as well.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I have been wondering about Maus I + II are they awesome can someone give me a fairly spoiler free rundown?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It explores the author's relationship with his father while telling his father's story about WWII and the concentration camps.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Uthor posted:

It explores the author's relationship with his father while telling his father's story about WWII and the concentration camps.

so its fairly dark, and gloomy?

at least that is how I would interpret this. Thank you for your short response time!

Also, I picked up the New 52 Batgirl TPB, and I love it, don't know enough about Gail Simone to know why there is so much hate, but I will continue reading until she wrongs me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, the art is anamorphic animals, which lets you take in the story easier. The WWII stuff is dark by its nature. The father/son stuff is more typical slice-of-life, the son trying to understand why his father acts in certain ways and dealing with those annoyances.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Uthor posted:

Well, the art is anthropomorphic animals, which lets you take in the story easier.

Well really, it's more like they are people in animal masks, based off of how the world classifies them. It varies.

And yes, very awesome. It's actually what got me reading comics again as an adult- well, that and Flight.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

And yes, very awesome. It's actually what got me reading comics again as an adult- well, that and Flight.

Awesome is selling it short. Maus is among the best works on the Holocaust I've encountered. It's one of the most significant works of comics as literature. It's gained massive respect and critical praise; it won a Pulitzer prize.

Basically you need to read Maus; it's one of the high water marks of the medium.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rhyno posted:

Huh? His Action Comics issues need to be in a different order? Or do you just mean that all his stories are together, and then the backups are separate? I need to know for my faux-bookbinding project. Didn't realize this would have a different read order.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Revol posted:

Huh? His Action Comics issues need to be in a different order? Or do you just mean that all his stories are together, and then the backups are separate? I need to know for my faux-bookbinding project. Didn't realize this would have a different read order.

Issues 5 and 6 were released as an interlude in the middle of the Brainiac storyline. That confused people because chronologically those issues take place after the Brainiac story. So the hardcover moves that story to the end. Now the issues are in chronological order rather than publishing order.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Lord Krangdar posted:

Issues 5 and 6 were released as an interlude in the middle of the Brainiac storyline. That confused people because chronologically those issues take place after the Brainiac story. So the hardcover moves that story to the end. Now the issues are in chronological order rather than publishing order.

I'm also fairly sure they were always intended to be the arc after the first, since he said the second arc was short and involved the Legion. The first just went behind.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
Anyone know if they've changed any of the content to flow with the new order?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Ya you must be right d00gZ. I'm so used to Morrison's idiosyncrasies that I had just assumed the publishing order was intentional.

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Anyone know if they've changed any of the content to flow with the new order?

They changed some of the teaser text at the end of one issue. That's all I spotted.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I can't wait to get my hands on the new Scott Pilgrim tomorrow. Nathan Fairbairn is such a beast of a colorist.

Does anyone have the special edition from SDCC? What do you think of it?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

bairfanx posted:

I can't wait to get my hands on the new Scott Pilgrim tomorrow. Nathan Fairbairn is such a beast of a colorist.

Does anyone have the special edition from SDCC? What do you think of it?

I'm downloading it now. I was planning to buy the print version (and I still might), but Comixology just sent out codes where you can upgrade to the color version (if you already had the B&W one, obviously) for $1.99, so I jumped right on that.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

xK1 posted:

I'm downloading it now. I was planning to buy the print version (and I still might), but Comixology just sent out codes where you can upgrade to the color version (if you already had the B&W one, obviously) for $1.99, so I jumped right on that.

Oh, that's really awesome of them!

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Just Offscreen posted:

Well really, it's more like they are people in animal masks, based off of how the world classifies them. It varies.

Just going to echo that Maus is amazing. It's poignant, heartbreaking, and hopeful, and definitely worth anyone's time.

Please tell me more about Flight. Anything good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Maus is something that piques my interest. I did enough hunting around to know it's an 8-volume anthology with good, colorful art--which I like. Anything else I should know?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's about it. Maybe worth mentioning that it's also generally kid friendly.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Is anyone else getting the Scott Pilgrim hardcover this week? I was excited this morning just for that but then remembered Amazon won't be shipping the drat thing until Friday.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I wasn't even aware there was one. But if it is all colored, I don't know if I'd be interested in it. I think I prefer it black and white. I've seen colored pages before and didn't think it worked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BLOM was pretty vocal about wanting to do it in color as far back as volume 2. It was the film that really got him going on the color editions.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Please tell me more about Flight. Anything good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Maus is something that piques my interest. I did enough hunting around to know it's an 8-volume anthology with good, colorful art--which I like. Anything else I should know?

It's really nothing like Maus, but what what got my interest was the gorgeous art and the fun, self contained stories. Outside of newspaper comics, at the time I was only really exposed to superhero comics with no ending and no real closure. That combined with an immense continuity to follow and the plethora of good to bad writers/artists to sift through really kind of got to me after awhile, and I lost interest in the medium because of it. Flight was exactly what I needed.

I would definitely recommend looking into the series, starting with any will do, the only story that spans more than two volumes is a series by Michel Gagné. If you had the choice, however, I would start with volume 2 or 3- they will better give you a feel of the overall tone of the series. Volume 1 is good, but every story tried to fit with the theme of "flight" which they largely dropped after the first volume.

Flight showed me the width of the medium, Maus showed me the depth.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 9, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Amazon delivered my New X-Men Omni yesterday :)

Been trying to find one for a while, so I'm glad they did a reprint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I hope they'll reprint the Iron Fist Omnibus. That thing's impossible to find for any reasonable price :smith:

Luckily I managed to find a decently cheap copy of Brubaker Captain America on eBay, though.