Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

grover posted:

I've been in some areas where the right lane is reserved for buses & HOV, and I wasn't sure how to make a right hand turn. I figured the only safe way was to get in the bus lane, but I was worried I'd get nailed for driving illegally in the bus lane.

At least in Philadelphia, there is specific signage regarding right turns, though the lane restrictions in Center City are almost uniformly ignored.

http://goo.gl/maps/2Qvrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I don't have anything to say on New York's bike lanes other than showing you this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I don't have anything to say on New York's bike lanes other than showing you this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

At the beginning, I wondered what was wrong with his teeth, but my questions were quickly answered. Excellent video.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 5, 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wolfy posted:

Do you think people actually use this?

I use the poo poo out of it.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Crackpipe posted:

Can you use the standard sensor package in a slab in lieu of a loop detector, so slab #14983321-B also triggers a light cycle?

You got it! That's entirely the intention, to draw the vehicle detection out beyond the intersection so that we can be much smarter about signal timing, among other things.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Imagine for a minute that you're a trucker.

You're crossing Wyoming in a 60,000 pound GVW tractor-trailer. On the back side of a pass, you are overcome with terror as you realize your brakes don't work. Before you know it, the needle has maxed out somewhere over 80 mph, and you're hurtling down toward sudden disaster.

We've got your back.

Though expensive, specially designed truck escape ramps can safely stop just about any vehicle, doing minimal damage even to small, light cars.

This particular system had 9 "gates;" the truck, despite going way over the speed limit, only needed 7 to come to a stop. The gates sap the truck's kinetic energy by deforming metal straps.

The tractor might be totaled, but the trailer's still in great shape. Not sure about the cargo; some kinds of cargo react better to sudden stops than others.

The truck entered the ramp at an angle, but the design of the gates and narrowness of the chute kept it from jackknifing. The gates can be easily replaced, and we're ready for the next Benz with broken brakes.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cichlidae posted:

Imagine for a minute that you're a trucker.

You're crossing Wyoming in a 60,000 pound GVW tractor-trailer. On the back side of a pass, you are overcome with terror as you realize your brakes don't work. Before you know it, the needle has maxed out somewhere over 80 mph, and you're hurtling down toward sudden disaster.

We've got your back.

The truck entered the ramp at an angle, but the design of the gates and narrowness of the chute kept it from jackknifing. The gates can be easily replaced, and we're ready for the next Benz with broken brakes.

:aaa: That's really amazing! It kind of reminds me of those catch-cables on aircraft carriers. Similar principle?

Is that the driver praying in the first pic? Dude's lucky to be alive, and lucky he didn't kill someone.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Silver Falcon posted:

:aaa: That's really amazing! It kind of reminds me of those catch-cables on aircraft carriers. Similar principle?

Is that the driver praying in the first pic? Dude's lucky to be alive, and lucky he didn't kill someone.

Similar, except the cables on carriers don't deform irreversibly like these.

The guy in the first picture is the driver, and he's praying his rosary.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Those look way better than the dirt ones I saw in WV some years ago.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How much do they cost?
Install cost first time, and re-arm cost once it gets hit?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Elendil004 posted:

How much do they cost?
Install cost first time, and re-arm cost once it gets hit?

Ours came from these guys:

http://impactabsorption.com/

They don't have any prices on their website, and it was bid before 2009, so we don't have bid history for it anymore. I can't imagine they're cheap; probably somewhere around $100k. There are many different versions, including ones that can pop up from the ground (or drop down from above) at a drawbridge.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 8, 2012

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
Those are pretty cool, although I wonder if they'd probably work better in situations where their use would be fairly rare. I live in Colorado, and the runaway truck ramps here are used approximately "all the goddamn time", so they tend to go for cheap and effective. Here's one on the stretch of I-70 leading into Denver; it's on the far right side, basically just a long stretch of thick gravel with a whole bunch of water barrels at the end (not visible here, it's a long-rear end ramp since it's on a downgrade):

In other areas on I-70 I've seen where they just stick the ramp on about a 20% up grade off to the side and let gravity do the work for them. On a related note, one can divine a certain sense of exasperation on the part of the Colorado DOT:

The beacons on that one all blink simultaneously. Truckers don't notice? Slap some more yellow lights on!

(pictures are all from here)

potato of destiny fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 8, 2012

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

potato of destiny posted:

On a related note, one can divine a certain sense of exasperation on the part of the Colorado DOT

Hahaha, I was trying to come up with an adjective to fit those signs.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

t_violet posted:

Check out the bike lanes. NYC has installed over 200 miles of bikes lanes over the last few years, including some separated facilities which is the newest trend. I'm skeptical that it's really worth the investment for a relatively miniscule percentage of the traveling public in many cases. But NY has done a lot of them. (PDF with some pics)

I saw these on 9th Ave near Chelsea Market. Really pretty. But NYC drivers are loving insane--not sure I wouldn't trust a car to ignore the left red arrow when the straight is green.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Here in California we use gravel for our runaway truck ramps, too. Seems a hell of a lot cheaper; I wonder if there's any advantage to the metal straps thing. Works better in snow?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Choadmaster posted:

Here in California we use gravel for our runaway truck ramps, too. Seems a hell of a lot cheaper; I wonder if there's any advantage to the metal straps thing. Works better in snow?
It works on downhills without a change in grade, shorter stop distance, big honking concrete barriers on each side to make sure the vehicle stays in the ramp area (anti-jackknife), protects against a shift in cargo or an accidental trailer separation due to a rapid change in grade and can be heated in the winter.

As the fish mentioned, it does a better job of preventing driver injuries compared to standard emergency ramps and helps protect the cargo in the trailer (which is usually worth way more than $100k). They can also be installed in situations where a full length ramp would not be feasible, like the ramp at US44 and Rt10 in Avon, CT. Can't demolish a historical landmark, now can we?

Varance fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 8, 2012

SevenRedReturns
Apr 21, 2010

Varance posted:

As the fish mentioned, it does a better job of preventing driver injuries compared to standard emergency ramps and helps protect the cargo in the trailer (which is usually worth way more than $100k). They can also be installed in situations where a full length ramp would not be feasible, like the ramp at US44 and Rt10 in Avon, CT. Can't demolish a historical landmark, now can we?

I can basically confirm the speculation about the worth of the freight in the trailer, working in the freight business myself. I'm not a driver, I do clerical work, but I've still got a pretty good idea of some of the challenges. Surprisingly, depending on the loading system, the freight may not even be that damaged! The company I work for at least uses a trailer bound racking system. Of course this depends on everything being done properly. Which, naturally, if people are in a hurry, it may not be. Then again, if it's a long haul run (I work in LTL, which for us basically works rather like the pony express, the trailers being broken and reloaded many times until they hit the destination. Straight long haul is more something our Truckload division would do.)

Anyway I can say this, while people would likely be really pissed off to possibly get their freight late, especially with how many companies do not want to keep Any Extra Stock On Hand EVER, thus schedule freight to come in juuuuust as they're running out, but even then they'd prefer a day late to damaged beyond delivery- the second would take at LEAST three days to replace.

Honestly this method of stopping runaway trucks is one of the more impressive things I've seen. Granted the trucking company won't be happy to lose a trailer... That stuff is expensive! Especially with the rather common governed tractors, that don't go above 62 (Next time you're stuck being a trailer going 62 on a highway that allows 65, keep in mind that a: Their weight may be slowing them... 28' trailer only has a weight allowance of about 40k I believe but it's still 40k, and b: there is a really high chance their truck has a governer preventing them from going above 62, I believe for gas effiency sake. Also c: that dricing a tractor trailer is actually really, really hard.)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500330&pagenumber=1

GBS thread about bridge collapses. May be worth a look for people here.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Why not use a retractable, braked band like for airplanes, that could be re-wound and handle multiple stops before needing replacement?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Chaos Motor posted:

Why not use a retractable, braked band like for airplanes, that could be re-wound and handle multiple stops before needing replacement?
The arresting wires on an aircraft carrier are linked to an enormous amount of machinery below decks which allows them to flow out but slows them with steady force. All that machinery adds size and cost and requires maintenance. A single-use metal band is enormously cheaper and more reliable, since you won't have a crew checking the machinery daily.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I don't believe we use those types in Massachusetts. The only two runaway truck ramps I know of (Route 57 in New Boston, Masspike before Exit 3) are all of the elevated gravel variety.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 8, 2012

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I love walking to work but goddamn today was the closest call yet with a fuckhead inattentive driver almost running me over. Usually it's people waiting to make a right turn, waiting, waiting, waiting, and then when the light changes they finally go and almost kill me.

Lately it's been assholes wanting to make a left but they zoom forward as soon as the light changes thinking they'll cut off all the oncoming traffic, but that also means tearing through the crosswalk, with ME in it. Someone did this to me two weeks ago, and when I shouted "watch it!" he stopped his truck in the intersection and screamed obscenities at me. He would move forward a foot or two and stop, like he was thinking about getting out to fight, and then he followed me for a quarter mile.

The one this morning just threw her hands in the air as if it was all somehow out of her control.

If you think you have good drivers in your city try walking to work. You will quickly learn the truth.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Why are you still in the crosswalk while they have the right of way? I'm confused.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mandalay posted:

Why are you still in the crosswalk while they have the right of way? I'm confused.

In most jurisdictions, being in a crosswalk means you have right of way, if there are no traffic lights.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

John Dough posted:

In most jurisdictions, being in a crosswalk means you have right of way, if there are no traffic lights.
That particular exception doesn't apply in this case, when he's talking about changing lights and such.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I am crossing in a crosswalk at a standard light controlled intersection. I have a walk signal and the right of way in ALL cases. I would never complain about a driver if I was doing something dumb. These are drivers that for whatever reason are illegally seizing the right of way and almost running me down in the process.

So if the light turns green and I get my walk signal and am crossing west to east, and a westbound driver wants to turn left (south) he has to pass through the crosswalk. If I'm in the goddamn thing he has to wait even though he has a green light, because pedestrians crossing legally always have the right of way in Los Angeles.

EDIT: There's also the basic idea that in any case if there is a pedestrian you maybe should not run them over, or pass so close you can hit them with your side view mirror. That leaves no margin for error and is just plain dumb.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 8, 2012

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Oh hey, crosswalk chat. I've been meaning to post this for a while but whenever I've been up there I haven't had my camera on me.

So it's nice that in this case the cars stopped far back enough to allow me to cross in the line of the crosswalk (which is entirely behind the stop line). This is usually not the case. To top it off, cars coming the other way (during the only phase where I can get a walk signal, since cars heading the direction I'm facing have a straight-left phase) tend to swerve in the direction of the stop bar, due to the alignment of lanes on my side of the road.

The crosswalk signals on this side of the intersection are new with the recent construction/paving, so there wasn't a painted crosswalk before (there is one parallel on the other side of the intersection, which is almost as bad). So I think what probably happened was they repainted the lines as they were before, completely neglecting the crosswalk.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Dick Trauma posted:

I am crossing in a crosswalk at a standard light controlled intersection. I have a walk signal and the right of way in ALL cases. I would never complain about a driver if I was doing something dumb. These are drivers that for whatever reason are illegally seizing the right of way and almost running me down in the process.

So if the light turns green and I get my walk signal and am crossing west to east, and a westbound driver wants to turn left (south) he has to pass through the crosswalk. If I'm in the goddamn thing he has to wait even though he has a green light, because pedestrians crossing legally always have the right of way in Los Angeles.

Oh yeah, this is dumb. I see this from time to time near Wilshire and Vermont. The day before yesterday, I rented a car, drove around Manhattan, and saw it all the time everywhere.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Varance posted:

They can also be installed in situations where a full length ramp would not be feasible, like the ramp at US44 and Rt10 in Avon, CT. Can't demolish a historical landmark, now can we?

This particular location is the one I'm most familiar with. It was installed by direct order of the Governor after a really horrific crash in 2005, and another near-fatal two years later. They were bad enough crashes to get a prominent section in the town's Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avon,_Connecticut#Avon_Mountain_traffic_accidents

Chaos Motor posted:

Imagine, if you will, a giant cheese-cutter.

Seriously though, the metal straps are cheap. Most of the cost is setting up the concrete chutes, grading, etc. It's the deformation of the straps itself that absorbs the energy of the impact, so if you went with just a cable, you'd need something behind the scenes to absorb that same energy.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Compare the photo of the truck Cichlidae posted with the truck in the video here: http://www.barrier1.us/

These are basically the carrier plane arresters.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

Los Angeles.

I think I found the root cause of your problem. My understanding is that LA drivers consider pedestrians to be mythical beasts, or possibly figments of their imagination.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Finally, I get to be a unicorn!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Guy Axlerod posted:

Compare the photo of the truck Cichlidae posted with the truck in the video here: http://www.barrier1.us/

These are basically the carrier plane arresters.

Oh man, that is the Evil Doppelgänger of the truck arrestors! Looks like they're used for security, where the survival of the occupant is an undesired outcome.

Edit: Arrigoni photos from today.

Here is something that would make a great desktop. I'm putting it on my credit card.

To foster some much-needed goodwill, we sandblasted and re-painted the "MOST BEAUTIFUL STEEL BRIDGE" plaque. The subcontractor did it for free, in fact.

becomes...

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 9, 2012

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
I'm going to politely suggest that example system is specifically designed to brutally pulverize the driver and cab contents, and is intended for actively hostile locations. Of course I am referring to something with a less dramatic braking.

Cichlidae, how do you replace the deformable steel bands?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Chaos Motor posted:

I'm going to politely suggest that example system is specifically designed to brutally pulverize the driver and cab contents, and is intended for actively hostile locations. Of course I am referring to something with a less dramatic braking.

Cichlidae, how do you replace the deformable steel bands?

They come in a little cartridge (which seems almost impossible to find pictures of). The cartridge can be replaced very simply; they're held in place by a padlocked bolt through the top of the barrier. Unbolt, remove, put in a new one, bolt it back in.

They look like this in cross-section:

Pulling the metal strap (blue) around the fixed pins (black) dumps a whole bunch of energy into plastic deformation. Normally, flexing steel plastically so much means it becomes very brittle (which is why these can't be re-used), but the ribbon is being pulled out constantly, so each individual section of steel doesn't see too much plastic deformation. I think the different strength units have different pin arrangements to change the amount of energy they absorb, and thus the force they provide.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

I was unaware that we were still using the Latin U (V) back in 1938.

e: I did some driving in Jersey this week and this sign is an abomination:

Why can't we just use this?.

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 9, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Mandalay posted:

I was unaware that we were still using the Latin U (V) back in 1938.

It's a feature of some art deco scripts.

[e]This one would be a modern example inspired by those:

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 9, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

e: I did some driving in Jersey this week and this sign is an abomination:

Why can't we just use this?.

Clearly that is US routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9! A 9-way concurrency!

Definitely not in the MUTCD. Sometimes Jersey gets it right (jughandles, Jersey barriers), and sometimes it gets it wrong (suburbs, the aforementioned sign).

Munin posted:

It's a feature of some art deco scripts.

[e]This one would be a modern example inspired by those:

It was authentic back then, too!

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Cichlidae posted:

They come in a little cartridge (which seems almost impossible to find pictures of). The cartridge can be replaced very simply; they're held in place by a padlocked bolt through the top of the barrier. Unbolt, remove, put in a new one, bolt it back in.

They look like this in cross-section:

Pulling the metal strap (blue) around the fixed pins (black) dumps a whole bunch of energy into plastic deformation. Normally, flexing steel plastically so much means it becomes very brittle (which is why these can't be re-used), but the ribbon is being pulled out constantly, so each individual section of steel doesn't see too much plastic deformation. I think the different strength units have different pin arrangements to change the amount of energy they absorb, and thus the force they provide.

Looks like a good design, but I wonder how much of the energy is dissipated as the straps rub against each other as they wrap tighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Chaos Motor posted:

Looks like a good design, but I wonder how much of the energy is dissipated as the straps rub against each other as they wrap tighter.

I don't think the end of the strap is connected to anything, so it simply unrolls and doesn't tighten. Connecting the end of the strap to the canister would just crush the canister once it ran out of slack, and I'm pretty sure the canister is meant to be re-used. It's just the strap itself that needs to be replaced.