Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Spills the Moon posted:

Also, a real question, to help others wash away the bitter taste of my inane babbling: Are there other dungeons after the winter one in RF3? Or are there really only four?
It's been a while but:
There's the Labyrinth and a some hidden areas in the forest with strong enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Seriously? I don't see why they couldn't just make some cute dolls of a Wooly and like that something-something-Weed Dragon that you're supposed to live with in RF4 and call it a day, but nooooooooo, they have to make like sex pillows and poo poo.
None of those items are pillows. They're all either cards, phone cards, mouse pads, and random household items ranging from cups to file folders. It doesn't excuse the creepy prints but it's at the very least not things like sex pillows.

Spills the Moon posted:

I really wish the Rune Factory games could come up with a non-stupid way to make farming actually worth doing.
I think Rune Factory 3 did this really well. You can gain attributes by farming so farming would actually make you stronger in combat as well.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 8, 2012

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Spills the Moon posted:

Also, a real question, to help others wash away the bitter taste of my inane babbling: Are there other dungeons after the winter one in RF3? Or are there really only four?

Don't forget the dungeon in the basement of the Tree, that's got plenty of unique bosses and special drops and stuff. (It's where you can get some sweet items for staff magic)

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Majin posted:

So I've been thinking about getting into these. There are so many to choose from though! Is there a reason to go back and play any of the old ones (like story/plot) or is everyone effectively the same game with a different "gimmick" added to it for variety and I should simply start on the latest installment? Is there even an official "end" to the game or do you just play until you get bored and want to start over with the next one?

I guess the same goes for the Rune Factory games as well.

If you have a Wii, pick up Animal Parade. It has a good number of things to do and the villagers are amusing enough. Rune Factory Frontier is good if you don't mind tedious micromanagement, and while I liked Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, a lot of people didn't like how they simplified farming to the point where you don't really do any at all.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Zettace posted:

I think Rune Factory 3 did this really well. You can gain attributes by farming so farming would actually make you stronger in combat as well.

I have only played Rune Factory 3 and the first Harvest Moon and in RF3 the farming definitely sucked. I think I farmed the first month and then just left the field for tornadoes to destroy. Even the crops needed for story reasons can be obtained by planting one or two in the season dungeons. In fact, they even give you a lot of crops just by playing and doing the missions.

It's a great game but I agree that there's no need to do anything.

Spills the Moon
Aug 20, 2008

Zettace posted:

Well if you put it that way I suppose it did have that at least as a saving grace.

What happens if you let your animals keep working when they're tired? Will they start to hate me? I always just send them back to the barn when I see that tiredness speech bubble over their head. We all know they couldn't possibly die, given that the game makes even fighting into a pacifist endeavor. (We're not murdering these animals, we're sending them back where they belong!) Which, now that I come to put it that way, no one's ever been to this Forest of Beginnings have they? Micah's been tricked into murder!

Also, does the game let your marry as soon as you have the girls at 10 hearts or do you have to finish the main story line first? I'm of half a mind to start a new game in my second save slot just to experiences the marriages to the other girls. I bet Collete turns out to be a real freak, since everybody at Natsume knew that no one would pick her.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Spills the Moon posted:

Also, does the game let your marry as soon as you have the girls at 10 hearts or do you have to finish the main story line first? I'm of half a mind to start a new game in my second save slot just to experiences the marriages to the other girls. I bet Collete turns out to be a real freak, since everybody at Natsume knew that no one would pick her.

They're all freaks. :v:

In Rune Factory 3, you have to progress to basically the end of the story before you can propose and get married.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Which one of these still has festivals? It looks like a lot of the newer ones don't, so I don't want to make a poor choice.

I don't have a wii, but I still have a gamecube. I have a 3ds. Should I just get Grand Bazaar and call it good? What about Magical Melody and A Wonderful Life?

Why'd you have to make so many drat games Natsume?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Which one of these still has festivals? It looks like a lot of the newer ones don't, so I don't want to make a poor choice.

I don't have a wii, but I still have a gamecube. I have a 3ds. Should I just get Grand Bazaar and call it good? What about Magical Melody and A Wonderful Life?

Grand Bazaar (DS) has festivals. Tale of Two towns (DS & 3DS) has different festivals based on which town you are currently living in (The animal town has animal-related festivals and more Western-style festivals, and the crop town has crop-related festivals and more Eastern-style festivals.)

I'm pretty sure A Wonderful Life doesn't have any festivals, and Magical Melody does have them.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

All of the handheld ones do, as far as I know.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Has anyone played the PS3 Rune Factory games (Tides of Destiny and Oceans)? I've played the first three DS Rune Factory games, and I was wondering if they might be worth checking out.

The problem with Grand Bazaar is that if you want to make enough profit to do anything, you have to wait for the weekly bazaar to sell your products (you can sell them to the shop during the week, but your profit margins there are minuscule). That slows things down to an extent I just couldn't tolerate.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cockmaster posted:

Has anyone played the PS3 Rune Factory games (Tides of Destiny and Oceans)?

They are the same game under a different name (varies with region). Fairly good, but not as much as RF3, plus less focus on farming.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
So this is really dumb, but I can't understand how feeding works in Tale of Two Towns. So I know that each amount of feed is worth 5 meals. That means that if I had 5 cows and had to feed them all week, I'd have to refill the feed box once a day, right?

Then what about pets? I have three pets right now and sometimes they'll run over when there's only two globs of food in the trough and everybody ends up fed. Since there's 4 spaces in the trough, does that mean I have to fill up the thing twice if I had 6 pets? Goddamnit, why is this confusing to me? I just want to shove food into my fake virtual animals.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Squidtamer DA posted:

So this is really dumb, but I can't understand how feeding works in Tale of Two Towns. So I know that each amount of feed is worth 5 meals. That means that if I had 5 cows and had to feed them all week, I'd have to refill the feed box once a day, right?

If I am remembering correctly, the livestock all have a set spot that they feed from. So cows 1-4 will feed from feed box 1 and cow 5 will feed from feed box 2. I think the game doesn't let you have more animals than you have available feeding spots so you should have at least 2 now. If you are only using 1, then your other cow is going hungry.

Once your pets have more hearts, they will start herding your animals outside so you don't have to worry about feeding unless it's raining. This really saves a lot of time.

Squidtamer DA posted:

Then what about pets? I have three pets right now and sometimes they'll run over when there's only two globs of food in the trough and everybody ends up fed. Since there's 4 spaces in the trough, does that mean I have to fill up the thing twice if I had 6 pets? Goddamnit, why is this confusing to me? I just want to shove food into my fake virtual animals.

Yes basically, this one you do have to refill. If it is empty just fill it, and you don't have to wait around. I would fill it in the morning and then if it was empty at night, fill it again. They will eat whenever they are in the house (I think). I could be wrong about any of this, it's been a while since I played.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning starts Nov. 6, special edition includes giant plush cow

quote:

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, the customization-focused new 3DS game, will be ripe for the picking in North America on November 6, Natsume announced today. If you pre-order from GameStop, your copy of the game will come with an adorable plush yak, as if we needed another reason to write about this.

However, if you decide to order from Natsume's online store and pay extra for the Anniversary Edition, you get a gigantic plush cow. Pre-orders begin on September 24.

When I first saw this, I literally said "Welp, I gotta buy that" out loud to myself. Yeah, the Gamestop pre-order is a yak, but there is no way I have the strength to pass up a Harvest Moon cow plush.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Revol posted:

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning starts Nov. 6, special edition includes giant plush cow

When I first saw this, I literally said "Welp, I gotta buy that" out loud to myself. Yeah, the Gamestop pre-order is a yak, but there is no way I have the strength to pass up a Harvest Moon cow plush.

How big of a cow plush are we talking? Like is it beanie baby sized or is it the size of a small dog?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I think I want the yak. I have a tiny cow plush already. :ohdear:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
^-- The yak would go well with my Twin Towns alpaca. But no. Gigantic HM cow wins out over any other possible plush.

Vaerai Archon posted:

How big of a cow plush are we talking? Like is it beanie baby sized or is it the size of a small dog?

The press release says "twelve inch", the biggest they've made for the game.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Star Guarded posted:

I think I want the yak. I have a tiny cow plush already. :ohdear:

Same here, I need a yak for my ridiculous collection. I'm blown away that they actually are having the game come out the same year as the Japanese release. I was hopeful, but realistically expecting spring next year. Hopefully there won't be any delays!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The FAQ on their preorder is here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/natsume-inc/harvest-moon-a-new-beginning-pre-order-faq/465902393430278 and I'm reading the comments to see if a preorder from Natsume contains both the yak and large 12" cow plush.

If push comes to shove, I'll order the version with the cow plush from the Natsume website.

BUT, if the Yak plush doesn't come with the Natsume order well, I'll probably find someone who doesn't want their plush, and offer a $15 Amazon GC in exchange.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Gotta be the Yak for me. My small cow plush only has one horn. I can't let Natsume hurt me again. :colbert:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Catalina posted:

The FAQ on their preorder is here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/natsume-inc/harvest-moon-a-new-beginning-pre-order-faq/465902393430278 and I'm reading the comments to see if a preorder from Natsume contains both the yak and large 12" cow plush.

If push comes to shove, I'll order the version with the cow plush from the Natsume website.

BUT, if the Yak plush doesn't come with the Natsume order well, I'll probably find someone who doesn't want their plush, and offer a $15 Amazon GC in exchange.

The cow is a pre-order bonus from Natsume. The yak is a pre-order bonus from Gamestop. They don't overlap.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pre-order both versions, sell the spare game. Best of both worlds and a house full of plushies.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
drat, guess I'm getting a 3DS so I can play this game. Well, it was probably going to happen eventually.

Spills the Moon
Aug 20, 2008
drat, it looks like Rune Factory 4 has already sold more than twice as much as all the other installments. And more than likely enough to greenlight a fifth!
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/27/rune-factory-4-is-the-best-selling-game-in-the-series/ Although I am still concerned that I haven't heard any news of a western release of the fourth, I assume it's just Natsume and Marvelous being lazy as usual.

In other news, I just 'finished' Rune Factory 3, as in, I got married. How long until you have a kid? Having a kid is usually the point at which I stop playing the game without feeling any guilt over unfinished business. (I didn't get very far in A Wonderful Life, as you can imagine). Also I just got Tides of Destiny and I'm definitely enjoying it more than I enjoyed most other Rune Factory games, just not as much as Rune Factory 3. Also the characters seem so boring after coming out of 3.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Spills the Moon posted:

In other news, I just 'finished' Rune Factory 3, as in, I got married. How long until you have a kid? Having a kid is usually the point at which I stop playing the game without feeling any guilt over unfinished business.

I think it's not until six weeks. You spend three weeks as a married couple before your wife announces her pregnancy and then after another three weeks she has the baby (up to three kids max). I'm still playing even with a kid and it's pretty weird. You can still do the character events you get in your mailbox but, the dialogue doesn't change. You end up with bachlorettes hitting on the main character even though he's married. It's pretty awkward. You are also locked out of dates with everyone except your wife.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Spills the Moon posted:

drat, it looks like Rune Factory 4 has already sold more than twice as much as all the other installments. And more than likely enough to greenlight a fifth!
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/27/rune-factory-4-is-the-best-selling-game-in-the-series/ Although I am still concerned that I haven't heard any news of a western release of the fourth, I assume it's just Natsume and Marvelous being lazy as usual.

If Natsume sticks to their current MO, you won't be hearing about RF4 until E3. .The delay in the release of the game in Japan made it so that Natsume went full bore on A New Beginning instead, which is not a bad thing as we are getting it in a couple of months.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Revol posted:

drat it Natsume why you gotta do this to me :(
I don't even have a 3DS and won't be able to scrape together the cash for one for quite some time... but dang it my doggie from preordering MFoMT (I think?) needs a friend.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I think my plan will be to preorder to get the plushie and just ask for a 3DS for Christmas, since we usually either just get one thing or cash for Christmas. ... because giant plushie cow.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Natsume posted a picture on their Facebook page where you can see how large the new plushies are comparatively.

:swoon:

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

loving cow!

I haven't had interest in a Harvest Moon game since Friends of Mineral Town (which I still play every now and again, beyond nostalgia I think it just did everything "right" for me), but that cow plush is damned adorable. :colbert:

Hopefully I can eBay it for a reasonable price at some point.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Didn't see this mentioned here at all:

Stardew Valley a HM SNES clone for the PC! With added stuff. It should be interesting! You can do so much on the PC, no cart limitations and easy patches and moddability.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
So the pre-order for the 15th Anniversary version went live finally on the Natsume website. Definitely bought that. New Beginning is looking to be really good so far and I'm very excited.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So I've gone back and given Magical Melody another playthrough. Last time I played was probably several years ago, and ended up quitting right as I got fifty notes and either got my wife (Ann in that game) pregnant or had my first born. This game has its flaws, but it's still probably my favorite HM game I've played, though to be fair, I haven't actually played any HM game that came out since MM.

It's pretty cool that everything starts out so empty, and it's partly through your actions that the village becomes prosperous. It's also interesting how gameplay is driven through achievements, even though a lot of them are rather dumb and a pain in the rear end to do. I do wish Power Berries were easier to get (of course), and it'd be nice to change your view so trees don't get in the way, semi-transparent or no. And while it's cool that your actions and friendships lead to more villagers coming, sometimes it can be a pain to get the villagers you want to come, especially if you want to marry them (like Dia in my current game). I've been doing a surprising amount of fishing, which is handy since you can use most of the fish to recover stamina.

I haven't really played the series for awhile now, and it's nice to revisit and see how far it's come since the SNES days. Of course, there's so many other HM games now, and I may try some of them later. It's just cool that a series about farming has caught on well enough to become such a vibrant franchise.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nettle Soup posted:

Stardew Valley a HM SNES clone for the PC! With added stuff. It should be interesting! You can do so much on the PC, no cart limitations and easy patches and moddability.

Man, Stardew is improving piece by piece, but there are a number of things I'm not really down with at this time. Harvest Moon-alikes just don't need buses or nighttime LoS, and I'm stickin' to my guns that those sprites don't even look homegrown, they look like they were literally ripped out of like three SNES games that don't match and then modified a bit to dodge copyright.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

This looks great, except for the fairly uninspired pixel art. I gave it an upvote! If it's reasonably priced (~$10) I'll pick it up at launch.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I think out of all of the HM games I've played, Tale of Two Towns has the most stuff that ties into friendship with the villagers. How many items they sell, requests they give, how well they even perform in the cooking festival...It took me until summer to learn all of that, and now I know why the game days are so long -- so you can run around to towns (both of them if you want, even) giving people things.

I ended up making a notepad file outlining the easiest gifts to give to everyone, and a path I follow every day to make sure I hit everyone.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The White Dragon posted:

Man, Stardew is improving piece by piece, but there are a number of things I'm not really down with at this time. Harvest Moon-alikes just don't need buses or nighttime LoS, and I'm stickin' to my guns that those sprites don't even look homegrown, they look like they were literally ripped out of like three SNES games that don't match and then modified a bit to dodge copyright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYmc2iGaOM

They're getting changed up as the game evolved, the snes-style grass and trees are gone now at least. My problem with it is I really don't like the main character sprite. I think it's too tall and stiff...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Nettle Soup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYmc2iGaOM

They're getting changed up as the game evolved, the snes-style grass and trees are gone now at least. My problem with it is I really don't like the main character sprite. I think it's too tall and stiff...

I think the main problem of that sprite is that the head is still just a modified FF6 head. So it's a stretched out head on a body that doesn't match.

I hope he keeps improving, or maybe shells out for a real pixel artist. Mama needs her farming PC game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 1, 2014

• Locked thread