Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Shaggar posted:

the code clarity rules are basically: "dont do all those stupid loving obfuscation hacks they taught you in that 'functional'/p-language"

of the 31 items, one is tenuously related to functional programming and the other 30 are unrelated. grats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
pretty much all of them have to do with verifiability of things at compile time and avoiding operations the could conceivably block or take longer than expected. good luck not doing any dynamic allocation in java!

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
shaggar probably didn't read the code rules

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I didn't either

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.
i need explicit standards bc i have none of my own :rms:

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

quote:

1.) No compiler warnings/errors. Compilers are the things that turn the C programming language (which is more or less human readable) into the actual executable code used by the processors which isn't very human readable. The compilers have a large number of checks and warnings they can generate before compiling code as basic sanity checks. For your poo poo to make it into the codebase not a single warning or error can be thrown by the compiler even if that warning or error is, in fact, the compiler being wrong. This can be uncommon because the compilers with all their warnings turned on (And they have a LOT of warnings) are pretty hard to satisfy for some things. Most places are "compiles without any explicit errors and oh maybe this warning subset." The we don't care that its the compiler being wrong, fix it anyway is a check against people outsmarting themselves, i.e. believing its a compiler problem when in fact they didn't think of something.
Have fun adding a bunch of pointless new checks and hakcs, each time when updating/changing compilers, and then removing them again for the very next version; -- or alternatively -- using a huge steaming pile of #ifdef COMPILER_VERSIONs, because lots of times compilers and their various versions aren't even in agreement over what constructs they should complain about or if they should do so when they're present/missing. Oh and also lots of superfluous brackets because apparently actually using the language's precedence rules is for scrubs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PrBacterio posted:

Oh and also lots of superfluous brackets because apparently actually using the language's precedence rules is for scrubs.

bbbbbbbbbut it might be ******unclear******* to the person we hire to try to do your job for half the price in a couple years! Please document your code well so that we may easily outsource it after youve done all the real work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

of the 31 items, one is tenuously related to functional programming and the other 30 are unrelated. grats

its msotly about getting rid of dumb poo poo where the flow of the code is not instantly obvious. those are things you just cant do in java b/c the creators were smart enough to leave useless obfuscations out.

the type of obfuscations you pick up from bad-habit-forming languages like p-languages or "functional" languages. they're obviously programming in c so while it may not have the exact same concepts as those languages, it gives the user enough rope to hang themselves.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

good use of the term "mission critical" in this doc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

PrBacterio posted:

Have fun adding a bunch of pointless new checks and hakcs, each time when updating/changing compilers, and then removing them again for the very next version; -- or alternatively -- using a huge steaming pile of #ifdef COMPILER_VERSIONs, because lots of times compilers

yeah we have one loving shot to get this to another goddamn planet, let's switch it up to gcc 3.4.3 because we really need to swap the compiler 8 or 9 times instead of just sticking to ONE that works

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bbb.b.bbbb.butt gcc 3.2.3 adds more pre-processing for me to abuse!!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

graph posted:

lol if you go to college to learn how to program

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

bbbbbbbbbut it might be ******unclear******* to the person we hire to try to do your job for half the price in a couple years! Please document your code well so that we may easily outsource it after youve done all the real work

it might be unclear to you when you look at it in a month, that's why

"Everyone knows that debugging is twice as hard as writing a program in the first place. So if you're as clever as you can be when you write it, how will you ever debug it?" - brian kernighan

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

PrBacterio posted:

Have fun adding a bunch of pointless new checks and hakcs, each time when updating/changing compilers, and then removing them again for the very next version; -- or alternatively -- using a huge steaming pile of #ifdef COMPILER_VERSIONs, because lots of times compilers and their various versions aren't even in agreement over what constructs they should complain about or if they should do so when they're present/missing. Oh and also lots of superfluous brackets because apparently actually using the language's precedence rules is for scrubs.

don't worry, #ifdef COMPILER_VERSIONs aren't allowed either

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
lol look at all you hating on the loving jpl, go inhale some cheetos nerds

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Mr Dog posted:

If you need explicit coding standards then your development team consists of either idiots or prima donnas, congrats

that's a really dumb thing to say

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tef posted:

but yeah, assuming you don't have to do database stuff, user authentication, management,

and all you're doing is writing a bunch of html templates in ascii or latin-1.

then, yeah php is pretty easy. it's probably the easiest way to write a cgi-bin script.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
velocity is better for templating

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

PrBacterio posted:

lol if you think they are using anything remotely close to the latest version

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

PrBacterio posted:

When you have one chance to do a thing that costs billions of dollars you better loving make sure everything checks out.

also,

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

vapid cutlery posted:

lol if you think they are using anything remotely close to the latest version

if they're just doing ansi c it doesn't matter

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

PrBacterio posted:

I know Jawn already told you why you're a loving idiot, but let me just add that you're mentally damaged if you think chaning compilers used for an already functioning project is a reasonable thing to do.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if they're just doing ansi c it doesn't matter

We need to upgrade to gcc 4.7 and also patch in autovectorization support for our 16-bit microcontroller build target

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quote:

If a function (say my function is AddTwoNumbers(x,y) - which adds X + Y and returns the value) sends something back to you. You must check that number before doing anything with it.

In our example AddTwoNumbers would check the values of X & Y to make sure they fall in the bounds of the type before doing anything with them.
:ughh:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

what's wrong with that?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nomnom Cookie posted:

We need to upgrade to gcc 4.7 and also patch in autovectorization support for our 16-bit microcontroller build target

it's actually a 32-bit powerpc just like my olde ibook

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no wonder its so slow and expensive

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

vapid cutlery posted:

what's wrong with that?

heh remember when php tried to check for arithmetic overflow using the same types they were adding and then switched to floating point instead

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
no one here has any experience with anything close to what jpl does except maybe jawn. ok cya

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

in the context they are using it that actually makes perfect sense

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

vapid cutlery posted:

what's wrong with that?
1) that isn't what "check the return value" means, it's referring to status codes and such and not cargo-cult double checks that the function you just called works at all

2) if(i > INT_MAX) :downs:

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 8, 2012

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

vapid cutlery posted:

no one here has any experience with anything close to what jpl does except maybe jawn. ok cya
i know crazy poo poo happens in space but if you cant even trust your ALU then you better shield that poo poo until you can

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
most of the c in curiosity is written by python programs: http://programmers.stackexchange.com/a/159687

Gazpacho posted:

i know crazy poo poo happens in space but if you cant even trust your ALU then you better shield that poo poo until you can

they do but it's still an issue

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
just use a transputer im p sure theyre approved for space

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
just use a thin client

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
if you want to watch retards argue pedantics about curiosity here is the link for you: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4348448

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
it's cool how tihs always happens. some company or govt body that has been doing things successfully for over 50 years shares some insight into how they do things, and goons come out of everywhere to tell them they're wrong

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
its ok i know more about space programming and everything they've experienced in the past trust me i got this "Fuckin jpl nerds dont do it that way"