Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

Now what do I start making for a midnight beach picnic?

Potato salad, booze-infused watermelon balls, beer-boiled brats to reheat over a campfire, pickled cucumber slices, and all the beer in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

The Therese Plummer one turned me on. I feel dirty. In a good way?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hmm, looks like you got a serious pork fat deficiency. Fortunately, I got the part you need right here.

Dr. Sausage - making house calls.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Corporate life: I am making lists, and I am checking them twice :(

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

CuddleChunks posted:

Hmm, looks like you got a serious pork fat deficiency. Fortunately, I got the part you need right here.

German sausage. All others are cheese?!

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

SubG posted:

Have you tried taking aspirin prior to eating foods containing capsaicin? I don't think the mechanism for the burning shits is perfectly understood, but I believe the consensus is that it's related to capsaicin stimulating the release of cytokines in the digestive tract, and (again I believe) non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (like aspirin) are associated with relief from the symptoms resulting from cytokine release in other circumstances (e.g., from the flu).

Haven't heard this, definitely going to try it. Been meaning to try sichuan dishes for a long time :science:

I'm actually ok with a small amount in a dish, small enough that it doesn't overpower the taste of food (a couple red pepper flakes in pasta alla arrabiata, etc). It's just that most restaurants/people really heap that poo poo on.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

An observer posted:

Haven't heard this, definitely going to try it. Been meaning to try sichuan dishes for a long time :science:

I'm actually ok with a small amount in a dish, small enough that it doesn't overpower the taste of food (a couple red pepper flakes in pasta alla arrabiata, etc). It's just that most restaurants/people really heap that poo poo on.

The amount of red pepper flakes you put on pasta is simply to add a bit of spice to the flavor. Szechuan dishes like to make the spice the dominating flavor. One of my favorite dishes is called Chongqing fried chicken, designed to be as ridiculously spicy (while still flavorful) as possible. Yes, those are all hot peppers with seeds. No, you just eat the chicken.

If you're going to try Szechuan food, I recommend a trial by fire. If you like it, you'll come back for more. If you don't like it, why bother developing your tolerance for heat?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I could give two shits about what people like or do not like in their food. But I hate the idea of my food ever making someone sick or god forbid endangering their life, so when customers tell me they're "OMG SO ALLERGIC TO TOMATOES I WILL DIE!" I am going to go out of my way to get all clean utensils and pots and pans and prepare their meal far away from anything that ever could have touched a tomato ever. It will take me a long time and make everyone's food late, but I don't mind doing it if it means you can enjoy your meal without worry.

But if what you really mean is "I hate raw tomatoes, could you leave them off my salad?" and you think that I won't take you seriously or I'll spit in your food or secretly put tomatoes in it if you don't tell me it's a life threatening allergy, then I hope you develop a deathly allergy to everything except tomatoes and Olestra.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Wroughtirony posted:

I could give two shits about what people like or do not like in their food. But I hate the idea of my food ever making someone sick or god forbid endangering their life, so when customers tell me they're "OMG SO ALLERGIC TO TOMATOES I WILL DIE!" I am going to go out of my way to get all clean utensils and pots and pans and prepare their meal far away from anything that ever could have touched a tomato ever. It will take me a long time and make everyone's food late, but I don't mind doing it if it means you can enjoy your meal without worry.

But if what you really mean is "I hate raw tomatoes, could you leave them off my salad?" and you think that I won't take you seriously or I'll spit in your food or secretly put tomatoes in it if you don't tell me it's a life threatening allergy, then I hope you develop a deathly allergy to everything except tomatoes and Olestra.

If I recall correctly, Mario Batali left Iron Chef America because they started pulling celebrity judges instead of the standard food industry critics and didn't want to deal with serving people who "didn't like raw fish."

While we're wishing deathly allergies on people, can we please add vegemite to the whitelist? I kinda like tomatoes.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Wroughtirony posted:

You could just wipe everything down with sanitizer and be good to go, no need to go grab all new utensils.

This study showed that household cleaners removed enough of peanut allergen for it to be undetectable, so it should be applicable in a commercial kitchen. And yes, I'm pretty sure USDA guidelines say sanitizer is appropriate, I just don't feel like pulling out my handbook right now.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
I used to have a weird reaction to foods with high sulfite content. My face and mouth would go numb, sometimes my throat, and I'd puke. I have no loving clue why, and it went away as suddenly as it came. I suspect it was a medication I'd been taking, or something. I would tell people I had a "mild allergy" but not to worry about cross contamination, because that was an easier explanation.

:( I still feel like I was a fake allergy jerk.

I fully admit to trying to get people to taste things they say they don't like, but I'm not horribly pushy. I'll just call you a pussy if you flee from the smell of liver cooking, and then forget about it as soon as I'm cramming my face with all of the delicious liver I don't need to share.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Just last night I was having dinner with my parents and they were having salmon. We discussed how violently allergic I was as a kid to saltwater fish, to the point where even touching something that fish had touched earlier would make me explode into welts and hives that looked like I'd been attacked by a biker gang of bees. I had dutifully stayed away from fish for about ten or fifteen years, and only recently discovered that I was not allergic to shellfish (which I now fuckin' love.) On a whim, I asked if I could try some of the salmon, and we did the usual allergy test - take a piece and rub it on the back of my hand. When I was a kid, if we did that with fish, my hand would look like the wrong side of Two-Face's face in about a minute.

Five minutes passed. Nothing happened, not even the tiniest itch on my hand. I said to hell with it and took a bite of the salmon. It was delicious, but I held off just in case.

Thirty seconds later, my hand started itching. I figured it was my imagination.

Thirty seconds after that, my lower lip started to itch like mad, but I figured it was just some of the salt in the buttered corn I was having getting into a little cut.

About a minute later my mouth felt like it was made of bone-dry sandpaper and my throat started tightening as my Judas hand finally showed its allergic reaction.

After a benadryl, copious profanity, and a lot of violent coughing, I was back to normal, if a bit zonked out. Moral of the story: if you're allergic to something, don't think you've grown out of it and take a big bite of it like a huge dumbass.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

But did you think it tasted good?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

CuddleChunks posted:

I knew my life was missing something. Now I know. It's a Wurstkoffer™.

That slogan at the bottom means "German sausage. Everything else is cheese." Germans, man. :wtc:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Daeren posted:

Moral of the story: if you're allergic to something, don't think you've grown out of it and take a big bite of it like a huge dumbass.
People do grow out of (and into) allergies all the time, though. Sucks that yours just decided to fake you out. I think you might have a sentient allergy that is trying to murder you.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That slogan at the bottom means "German sausage. Everything else is cheese." Germans, man. :wtc:

From the same series:

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

PainBreak posted:

I was looking at an old Life magazine today and found this tasty recipe...

If you thought this was funny, you'll love this: http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/ads/8.jpg

Wow.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Why is that BBQ pork on a bed of corn. I an almost wrap my brain around the BBQ beef on pasta, but the corn is breaking my brain.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Both the corn and pasta are cheap starches that work well as extenders.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

"vegetables"

also, this is apparently a Mexican dish:

Oh, the 50s :allears: this site is a goldmine, I wish it updated more.

An observer fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Huevos gelatineros.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

An observer posted:

also, this is apparently a Mexican dish:

It actually might be. I didn't know until I moved to the Latino part of North Hollywood, but Mexicans have their own version of bad mid-western home cooking.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

:3: Your avatar is the best.

And I agree, life feels somewhat shallow and empty if I'm not packing a Wurstkoffer™ around for my daily wurst needs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Found at the 99¢ store.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Steve Yun posted:

It actually might be. I didn't know until I moved to the Latino part of North Hollywood, but Mexicans have their own version of bad mid-western home cooking.

I'm in the upper Midwest in my entire workgroup is all Mexican nationals. one of the nice things we do here at work is we provide lunch for all the employees every day. periodically, we make "Mexican food".

The workers look at the food and you can tell they're thinking "what the gently caress is wrong with these white people?"

A few days a year, we have one of our workers make lunch. They go out and buy all the supplies they want, and have the morning to prepare meals for the rest of the factory.

Everybody raves about how good the food is when this actually happens.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

NosmoKing posted:

I'm in the upper Midwest in my entire workgroup is all Mexican nationals. one of the nice things we do here at work is we provide lunch for all the employees every day. periodically, we make "Mexican food".

The workers look at the food and you can tell they're thinking "what the gently caress is wrong with these white people?"

A few days a year, we have one of our workers make lunch. They go out and buy all the supplies they want, and have the morning to prepare meals for the rest of the factory.

Everybody raves about how good the food is when this actually happens.
I work with a bunch of people who think "cooking" is throwing the Lean Cuisine in the microwave for three minutes. Our potlucks suck. On the bright side, I've become some kind of office culinary god because I don't bring Costco sandwich trays or Rotel-Velveeta nacho dip. People ask me for cooking advice. It feels weird when a 40-something mother of three comes to me to learn the basics of making a hamburger.

Once a year, the office staff and the tradesmen (I work in a maintenance department, the office folks do payroll and paperwork so the guys with marketable skills get to use them) get together for a big 500-person potluck. That's when the good stuff comes out. We have a good ethnic cross section in our shops, most of whom can cook, so there's everything from freshly-made lumpia to Thai papaya salad to carne asada made by people who know what the gently caress they're doing. And all my officemates bring KFC/Subway/Costco pies to contribute to this marvel of American food diversity. :sigh:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Dear E/N,
Seriously considering volunteering for a pink slip..

We could in theory live off my wife's paycheck, and make more babies to keep me busy!

Also, apparently the structural fascists are nervous around me because I lack structure, they do not like non-linear thinking, nor me using primal scream therapy methods during meetings.

Love from your pal

Happy Hat

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Hjappy Hjat

I resigned from my job a few months ago and stopped working there full time about 2 weeks ago, and it feels awesome. My wife's paycheck just about covers our hard costs and I'll do some freelance work and hope that some films come off on the production side ( including the Noma doc!).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Good to hear :) was thinking of making a new career in 'coaching'
Because then I still would get to tell people that their values were wrong!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

Dear E/N,
Seriously considering volunteering for a pink slip..

We could in theory live off my wife's paycheck, and make more babies to keep me busy!

Also, apparently the structural fascists are nervous around me because I lack structure, they do not like non-linear thinking, nor me using primal scream therapy methods during meetings.

Love from your pal

Happy Hat

Knowing where you work and a bit about the corporate culture of that place just makes these posts so much funnier.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

bartolimu posted:

I work with a bunch of people who think "cooking" is throwing the Lean Cuisine in the microwave for three minutes. Our potlucks suck. On the bright side, I've become some kind of office culinary god because I don't bring Costco sandwich trays or Rotel-Velveeta nacho dip. People ask me for cooking advice. It feels weird when a 40-something mother of three comes to me to learn the basics of making a hamburger.

Once a year, the office staff and the tradesmen (I work in a maintenance department, the office folks do payroll and paperwork so the guys with marketable skills get to use them) get together for a big 500-person potluck. That's when the good stuff comes out. We have a good ethnic cross section in our shops, most of whom can cook, so there's everything from freshly-made lumpia to Thai papaya salad to carne asada made by people who know what the gently caress they're doing. And all my officemates bring KFC/Subway/Costco pies to contribute to this marvel of American food diversity. :sigh:

I'd kill for something like that. Whenever our office throws a potluck, most people just mooch. Someone will bring a vegetable platter with ranch from the supermarket down the street, a few people toss in some expired snack-cakes their kids didn't get to in time, and my boss invariably brings her slowcooker, bubbling with cocktail meatballs and some strange, near-black sauce that's sweeter than candy.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
We do potlucks with our current house of worship, and they're getting pretty terrible in terms of food quality. The last one we went to had a fruit plate with a tub of pudding in the middle, a bag of chips + salsa, a plate of those tortilla pinwheel things from costco, a plate of cookies, and the homemade carrot cake that I brought. Frankly, it's one of the reasons we're considering leaving.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I've never been to a potluck!

Must be an American thing!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Dane posted:

Knowing where you work and a bit about the corporate culture of that place just makes these posts so much funnier.
They are kinda conservative, high strung and pompous.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear LJ,
Although the food here in Quito is very tasty, very fresh, and fairly cheap, my dumbass forgot that cooking in altitudes can be a pain in the rear end. Seriously, it a BAD idea to try to boil up some noodles for a snack (the roads were closed; Yesterday was Independence day here, so we only had time to pop into a grocery store to knock up a dinner rather than go out to eat at one of the excellent restaurants). I knew I'd be eating a fair bit of rice in the coming week, so I wanted something a little different. It felt like it took a half hour for the pasta to cook. D'oh!

When we landed in Guayaquil, we had like 6 hours to kill before the flight into Quito. So we went to the Malecon 2000, which is like a shorefront beachy thing. Very cute shops and junk. Unfortunately, it was 7:00 in the goddamned morning. So there was this juice lady, selling fresh juice. I got the tomate del arbol. My friend did tomate del arbol mixed in with mora (some kind of blackberry). SO TASTY. And then we ate this salad at some other place. The lettuce was delicious, the tomatoes tasted sweet and ripe and juicy, the cucumbers had this refreshing green-ness to them, the chile peppers were just spicy enough to bring up the flavour nicely, corn, peas, and shaved carrots were lovely.

The broccoli, however, was delicious, as were the fried plantains that I dusted with cumin and salt. The strawberries were awesome: all sweetness and red, with very mild sour back-taste, rather than the bloated ones I get back home, that taste like lemons mated with watery blandness. The grapes had this medium thick skin, and the texture was very gelatinous in a good way. So tasty.

However, for the next forays into making snacks, I think I'll stick with stuff that cooks faster, like quinoa.

The view from my hotel window has the mountains as a backdrop. We can see this cathedral a few blocks down, and when it's all lit up at night, it looks so pretty. The corn I bought is sweet like candy, and so juicy. No wonder people love it so much. I can see that statue of the virgin form the terrace on the rooftop. Last night, they lit fireworks in the distance, while we heard the strains of death metal music. Apparently there was a concert, and the shape of the area seemed to conduct the sound rather well. My room is freaking huge.

Man, I love it here. :) I just with the husband could have come with. He'd have adored this place too.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Dear LJ,

Don't switch from Pimm's Cups to Dixie Beer.

P.S. Muffaleta was worth it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

At the first potluck I co-hosted, the apple pie I contributed got stolen. We all had eaten dinner, but before people came for desserts, we all started drinking heavily (it was a college potluck for a sailing club), so nobody ate any of my apple pie or any of the other desserts. I woke up the next morning, and the entire pie was missing. Secretly, I hope the pie was really, really horrible and poisoned the thieves.

My roommate at the time, who never cleaned anything, left the morning after so I had to clean up practically all the mess. I left the crock pots he had used to cook some beef for him to clean when he returned later that day. He never cleaned them though and after a few weeks they got moldy and he eventually threw them away and bought new crock pots for the people he borrowed them from. So yeah I guess it was a bad potluck.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

My parents' costco owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CuddleChunks posted:

this is basically what my suitcase looks like right now. maybe with a little more grauburgunder. flying back tomorrow!