Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Imagine my pleasure when I discovered that it had glued itself to the glass shelf in my display cabinet.

FW confirmed it's badly mixed resin and said the only thing to do is let it drain. I'm thinking about ringing them again tomorrow and seeing if they will let me hand it in at my local GW for a replacement.
I don't really have any hope that they will because I bought the kit about three years ago. In fact I'm sure they'll say no. But at the moment I'm feeling pretty gutted that I paid £100 for something that is leaking poo poo all over itself through no fault of mine, and which at best will be an arseache to fix, but will more likely break in the cleanup process. Even in a best case scenario I'm going to have to rebase and repaint it. So all in all, I'd rather just have a fresh kit.

I'm QQing about manbaby toys basically.

Mention that you are a disablor and know Phil Kelly! If they don't instantly chuck new resin at you then cry down the phone to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well in your defense you DID fail a LD 8 check. Law of averages said you should have made that check and survived long enough to deep strike away and get assaulted by something else later on.

Yeah, it was Obyron, MSS/Scythe lord and 18 warriors vs. 20 boys, lost combat 7-9, and couldn't loving roll an 8. The plan was get in combat, pass res protocols on a few guys, then deep strike away using Obyron to my two ghost arks to rebuild the unit, making you waste a turn maneuvering towards the opposite corner from the objectives. Moderate risk, but yeah, I should be able to roll a loving 8 in the future. C'est la vie.

e: At least you got your opportunity to roll a shitton of dice, so everyone had fun!

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
After much deliberation I've finally got round to painting some orks. The washes make all this so much easier - I've simply base coated them, covered them in Badab black and now they're pretty much tabletop quality. Any other army that can get away with this kind of half-assed approach?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My friend's nids look fantastic and he's pretty much gone with basecoat, wash, drybrush highlights = PROFIT

Yes the highlighting takes a little more effort, but the results are delicious. Organic stuff of the sort lends itself really well to washing/drybrushing.

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Shosuro posted:

So our local game store owner is considering allowing Forge World stuff in our tournaments.
Anyone have any experience with this? Good idea/bad idea? Any models that are particularly abusive, or nothing really worse than what's already found in the codices?

My FLGS permits FW rules in their tournaments, it hasn't really made a perceptible difference because FW models are hella expensive and often difficult to assemble, and hardly anyone has one. Also, most of the unusual FW units aren't for 40k, they're for Apocalypse, so you can't bring them to a tournament either way.

The only FW models I've seen in tournament so far are my own Contemptor dreadnought, and a guy who brought three of the fancy land raiders; one Achilles, one of the ones with a Whirlwind on top, and one with the sensor pod. He lost, of course. Too many hyper-expensive land raiders, not enough other stuff. My Contemptor also typically does better than a regular dreadnought, but not as good as almost anything else I could use over 200 points on, like a Terminator squad or a couple Predators.

The one really dominating win I've seen fancytank guy get was against an all-foot BA jumper list. He just drove around backwards shooting them with the difficult terrain shells from the Achilles' thunderfire cannon. If you really want to be competitive, and win, you don't bring ridiculously expensive "overpowered" Forgeworld goodies, you bring a ton of Grey Knights in chimeras and psyfleman dreads, or Lysander teamed up with Vulkan and all the hammernators you can get, or vendettas for days and russ squadrons, or thunderwolf cavalry, and so on, and so on. Forgeworld's got nothing on that.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

mmj posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble killing flyers as a tyranid, does anyone have any recommendations? An aegis gun has had some effect but I don't have any other units that can take out fliers, including my winged tyrant. In a month, I have yet to actually kill a single flier, only whittle off a hull point or two, and it's pretty clear I'm not bringing something I should be.

If you're running a list including the Swarmlord/Hive Tyrant with Old Adversary and Hive Guard granting Preferred Enemy to the Hive Guard is about as effective as it gets. You'll typically score 1-2 hits with their S8 gun that essentially ignores Jink, so that's something.

Also if you're running a Quadgun manned by something BS3-4 (I like Venomthropes for the job), how have you not intercepted anything successfully? It's a pretty good likelihood that if the guns alive on T2+ when the enemy Flyers start arriving you're going to hit/wreck something.

not lame! posted:

After much deliberation I've finally got round to painting some orks. The washes make all this so much easier - I've simply base coated them, covered them in Badab black and now they're pretty much tabletop quality. Any other army that can get away with this kind of half-assed approach?

Necrons :hb:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 9, 2012

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Hixson posted:

I've been trying to bring DE allies with my Eldar for a lame awesome fluffy army

I've been using a raider full of kabalites and an archon as an HQ choice just to unlock a heavy support slot and use a razorwing.

The razorwing is kickin rad, but I'm not too sold on the boat full of warriors. I don't really know what I should be bringing to compliment my army. I'm not too familiar with the DE codex, wyches seem ok. Maybe some DE goons can comment.

e: i guess i should mention I play against guard most of the time.

I've been planning to take some similar allies along with my Eldar, but I think I'm going to use Wyches in a Venom instead. With Haywires they'll be able to threaten any vehicles that get too close, and in a pinch a few wyches can tie up an MC or some other dangerous assault unit for a turn. The Venom helps with shooting infantry, and the Archon is going to join my Seer Council and help kill poo poo. If you don't have anything CC heavy for the Archon to sit in, maybe just give him a blaster and a venom blade and toss him somewhere he can shoot tanks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Yeah, it was Obyron, MSS/Scythe lord and 18 warriors vs. 20 boys, lost combat 7-9, and couldn't loving roll an 8. The plan was get in combat, pass res protocols on a few guys, then deep strike away using Obyron to my two ghost arks to rebuild the unit, making you waste a turn maneuvering towards the opposite corner from the objectives. Moderate risk, but yeah, I should be able to roll a loving 8 in the future. C'est la vie.

e: At least you got your opportunity to roll a shitton of dice, so everyone had fun!

Would definitely be up for getting another game in sometime. How may other hamgoons live in the DC/MD/VA area?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

PierreTheMime posted:

Also if you're running a Quadgun manned by something BS3-4 (I like Venomthropes for the job), how have you not intercepted anything successfully? It's a pretty good likelihood that if the guns alive on T2+ when the enemy Flyers start arriving you're going to hit/wreck something.

The Quad-Gun has around a 17% chance to destroy an AV12 3HP flyer. You got really lucky with that shot. Roll more fives and sixes, please. for psychic checks

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Phyresis posted:

The Quad-Gun has around a 17% chance to destroy an AV12 3HP flyer. You got really lucky with that shot. Roll more fives and sixes, please. for psychic checks

The majority of Flyers are not AV12, and the chances go way up when dealing with AV10 or 11. I admit I did get lucky with that, though.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

PierreTheMime posted:

The majority of Flyers are not AV12, and the chances go way up when dealing with AV10 or 11. I admit I did get lucky with that, though.

The thing is the most dangerous flier, by far, is the vendetta.

But I guess if you plan for everything guard can throw at you there would be like two lists ever. :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Kirby has a great article on the nature of random charge lengths. The more I play the more I realize just how drat amazing fleet really is, especially for orks.

Also I can't find the article, but when it comes to fleet the rules are pretty simple:

1) Reroll both dice if they're three or less, or you can't possibly reach the target with the high die.
2) Reroll only the lowest if the highest is 4 or more.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Kirby has a great article on the nature of random charge lengths. The more I play the more I realize just how drat amazing fleet really is, especially for orks.

Also I can't find the article, but when it comes to fleet the rules are pretty simple:

1) Reroll both dice if they're three or less, or you can't possibly reach the target with the high die.
2) Reroll only the lowest if the highest is 4 or more.

Much like your failed 4 inch charge yesterday?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Balls posted:

Boxed Set Named :" Dark Vengeance"

Mini-rulebook

Chaos:
10 Chaos Cultist models, 8x auto-guns
-leader w/ shotgun & CC weapon
-heavy stubber cultist

10 Chaos Cultist models, 8x auto-pistol & CC weapon
-leader w/ 2x CC weapons
-flamer cultist

Cultists in rags, with metal half-masks and improvised cobbled-together weapons.

6 Chosen Chaos Marines
-Multiple power weapons, (maul, fist, chainaxe, LCs)
-bolters

Chaos Lord
Plasma Pistol, power sword

Hellbrute
Multi-melta, powerfist
Appears as an oversized "terminator suit" that is Chaos Marine operated.

Dark Angels

Tactical Squad bolter x7
-Sergeant w/ plasma pistol & chainsword
-plasmagun
-plasma cannon

Terminators x5
-Sergeant w/powersword & stormbolter
-Assault cannon & chainfist

Ravenwing Bikers x3
-Sergeant
-Plasmagun

Company Master Balthasar w/power sword

Librarian w/force sword

Interrogator Chaplain

Not bad. I think it'd be pretty close to even minus the Chaplain or something.

Yay heavy stubbers, and the dread thing sounds sort of like a Chaos Contemptor, which would be sweet.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I wouldn't mind taking green stuff and bit swapping to make all of that Chaos.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The chaplain is supposedly a limited edition mini, so it may still be an HQ and not in the regular box set lineup.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Probably will pick up the company master, librarian and chaplain, because yay. The rest of it is pointless because my CSM is an EC warband.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lungboy posted:

Mention that you are a disablor and know Phil Kelly! If they don't instantly chuck new resin at you then cry down the phone to them.

I decided to ham the gently caress up and stick a drill in it. Once I'd smudged bad resin over the paint job and pulled an antler off I entered a Zen state where I could fully enjoy drilling out plastic with the consistency of hot toffee.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
If you ask me Maelstrom does not deserve to be in the OP as a recommended store. I ordered two bottles of Vallejo Black Lava and Commissar Yarrick from them and they have STILL not even begun to ship it, I ordered it a loving month ago and they have been sitting on their asses saying time and again that they are waiting for the Black Lava to come in. Last week they said that they would send me Yarrick at least but nope, no Yarrick and I am moving out tomorrow from my parents house.

Thanks a lot Maelstrom.

I think I'll just dispute the payment on Paypal and get my money back from these con-artists. I miss Darksphere, ordered a battleforce from them and got it a week later and I live in Sweden.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Myself and a few of the guys at my work put in an order with Rocket Hobbies recently (UK based), who as I understand have done a lot of hobby stuff previously but have only started dealing with GW products recently, and were pleasantly surprised with the service. It took a few days longer than we hoped for them to dispatch but they emailed to let us know it was because they were waiting for a couple of the items to come in stock. They've got similar discounts Darksphere and they also stock some of the finecast blisters. The site isn't brilliantly laid out but it's functional enough.

Anyone else used these guys?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I meant to trip report on Rocket Hobbies. I think it took three days for the order to process and despatch, but I got what I wanted at a very good price. For now I'll be using them and think they should go in the OP.

I would fully endorse removing Maelstrom because while they were once good, as far as a I can tell from here and other forums, they are taking the absolute piss with 30+ day despatch times and giving people the run-around.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I meant to trip report on Rocket Hobbies. I think it took three days for the order to process and despatch, but I got what I wanted at a very good price. For now I'll be using them and think they should go in the OP.

I would fully endorse removing Maelstrom because while they were once good, as far as a I can tell from here and other forums, they are taking the absolute piss with 30+ day despatch times and giving people the run-around.

Rocket Hobbies meaning Red Rocket Hobbies? Google was a bit inconclusive.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
http://www.rockethobbies.co.uk/

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I've been burnt by Maelstrom before too (ordered the descent board game from them and it took them 3 months to ship it!).

Ended up having to buy the new 40k rulebook from them since I used to use dark sphere exclusively, and completely forgot about totalwargamer and Rocket, I just received it through a couple of days ago - ordered it the weekend it was released.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The FLGS owner in Bristol recently gave me an interesting line about why orders were getting hosed up - the new automated system that GW uses will reject a whole order (remember, you get one a week) if any part of that order is out of stock. So if you order a grand's worth of stuff and Slaanesh Pink is out of stock that £2.50 pot of paint will screw up the whole order. I don't know how true it is, but it might explain the recent trouble a lot of people are having.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

PierreTheMime posted:

Even with the quad gun manned by a tyranid prime (I use it to keep synapse in the backfield if I'm going to man the gun anyways) it hasn't taken a single one down. Not to mention thanks to the incredible cost effectiveness of most fliers, I see almost all armies running 2-3 minimum.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

The FLGS owner in Bristol recently gave me an interesting line about why orders were getting hosed up - the new automated system that GW uses will reject a whole order (remember, you get one a week) if any part of that order is out of stock. So if you order a grand's worth of stuff and Slaanesh Pink is out of stock that £2.50 pot of paint will screw up the whole order. I don't know how true it is, but it might explain the recent trouble a lot of people are having.

It's not just GW stock causing issues, I had to cancel an order with Wayland due to it not even being processed after a week, and a recent Darksphere order for paint took weeks too.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
OP updated with Rocket Hobbies being added and Maelstrom Games being removed. Let me know if you guys want anything else added to the OP. In other news, my friend just sent me this picture.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500574

Hey everyone, Im selling 3,600 points of CSM. As a lot preferably, but its a pretty good lot. So hopefully someone wants a massive Chaos Force. I would rather not piece it out.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Gate posted:

I've been planning to take some similar allies along with my Eldar, but I think I'm going to use Wyches in a Venom instead. With Haywires they'll be able to threaten any vehicles that get too close, and in a pinch a few wyches can tie up an MC or some other dangerous assault unit for a turn. The Venom helps with shooting infantry, and the Archon is going to join my Seer Council and help kill poo poo. If you don't have anything CC heavy for the Archon to sit in, maybe just give him a blaster and a venom blade and toss him somewhere he can shoot tanks.

I did something similar, except a small blaster warrior squad in the venom instead of wyches. It worked fairly well--the warriors never shot their blaster, but they didn't need to. The archon and seer council were kind of overkill; I was playing necrons and they absolutely murdered an immortal squad, but didn't do much else. That said, my opponent didn't bring hardcore CC units of his own.

My new line of thinking is to bring a squad of haywire wyches like you're thinking, but put them in a raider and have them led by a haemon with either a liquifier or hexrifle. The haemon will stay in the raider and give the wyches his pain token so they have a little more survivability.

Really though, if you just want to pay the cheapest tax possible for that razorwing, put a naked haemon and 3 wracks in a venom; with the extra splinter cannon, that's 145 points.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Agentdark posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500574

Hey everyone, Im selling 3,600 points of CSM. As a lot preferably, but its a pretty good lot. So hopefully someone wants a massive Chaos Force. I would rather not piece it out.

Maaaan, if I had the money I'd buy that all in a heartbeat. Why are you selling it now, with a new CSM codex coming out in no time?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

PeterWeller posted:

My new line of thinking is to bring a squad of haywire wyches like you're thinking, but put them in a raider and have them led by a haemon with either a liquifier or hexrifle. The haemon will stay in the raider and give the wyches his pain token so they have a little more survivability.

Really though, if you just want to pay the cheapest tax possible for that razorwing, put a naked haemon and 3 wracks in a venom; with the extra splinter cannon, that's 145 points.

That is an idea, I haven't tried out the Archon/Council combo yet, but if it ends up unnecessary I might go with that. Really, I just want a flyer cause they look pretty sweet. I'm also trying to possibly replace one of my Wraithlords with an alternate HS option. Three is really good, especially since they can challenge which ruins a lot of CC units chances for killing it, but they are pretty pricey.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
Sixth edition? I didn't even know there was a fifth! :looks at his fourth edition rulebook in barely used condition:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Then get ready to poo poo yourself sideways when you see the progress in model design and production between fourth and sixth.

But, y'know, ignore anything marked Finecast. It's a tosser's mirage.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Then get ready to poo poo yourself sideways when you see the progress in model design and production between fourth and sixth.

But, y'know, ignore anything marked Finecast. It's a tosser's mirage.

Started browsing the models on GW.com and wtf is Vulkan doing for sale?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Being the best vanilla marines character. :colbert:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Being the best vanilla marines character. :colbert:

Lysander wants a word

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Phyresis posted:

Yeah they're really bad, especially compared to Vultures, which are amazing.

As near as I can tell, Thunderbolts actually got a major buff. 11/11/10 armor all around, Armored Cockpit taken as standard (a 20+ upgrade in the old rules that allows you to ignore shaken/stunned results on a 4+), BS4 against ground targets, and some new rule that (According to my friend that just got the book) allows you to roll to repair locked velocity on a 6+. It's still fairly expensive, but not quite as bad as it was last edition.

Ghoulish Sandwich
Jun 27, 2008

the corpse party!
theres no better time and there are so many corpses here to work with

Kashew posted:

Started browsing the models on GW.com and wtf is Vulkan doing for sale?

It's not the primarch, if that's what you're wondering. Apparently the folks the Salamanders use to hunt down the original Vulkan's relics are also given the name Vulkan.

Wait until Forge World gets through their Horus Heresy stuff, though. I'm sure they'll be releasing the real McCoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Cataphract posted:

Lysander wants a word

Isn't he a blood angel? I mean, I don't know poo poo about anything and all you loyalists look alike when I'm counts-asing you, but I'M PRETTY SURE HE'S A VAMPIRE.

• Locked thread