Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

and how much code is auto generated from specifications of state machines apparently depends on the flight director.
yeah management gets to make decisions

vapid cutlery posted:

do you think it's realistic for any language that's not C to be adopted by aerospace types? maybe once the olds die off

i guess that most of the C is either COTS (the vxworks parts) or machine-generated means we already have our next languages and they're dollars and python

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i thought ada was p. widely used in flight systems for a while, even without a government mandate

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
here's your guide if you want to build an electronics to nasa standards

http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/frameset.html

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
butt splices

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

i thought ada was p. widely used in flight systems for a while
yup

Gazpacho posted:

even without a government mandate

nope (firms that wanted to make stuff for government got to re-use the work in commercial stuff if they used ada for everything, if the government didn't mandate it they'd have used bad old c)

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
hey guys which one of you is the sublime text 2 developer I found a bug, please fix it tia

http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8631

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

vapid cutlery posted:

do you think it's realistic for any language that's not C to be adopted by aerospace types? maybe once the olds die off

Great read of the history of Lisp at JPL,
http://www.flownet.com/gat/jpl-lisp.html

Sounds like they've moved on to Java...

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

vapid cutlery posted:

yes. it is just going to take a while before it is economical to do so. there are huge barriers to adoption. olds dying off will help, but a plethora of static analysis tools would go further, as would code generation to C.

there are things like real time java, but I don't know how much that is used in practice.

sometimes I think real time elements will creep into more modern or mainstream languages, rather than real time development moving to more modern or mainstream languages. but I am not sure if it is wishful thinking.

i'm not saying that clojure, erlang, or rust are the languages of the future, but I think the problem space they deal with is going to become more and more important.

maybe i'm just a lousy backend developer who wants to write real time and highly available software.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
if my software crashes the user just thinks they closed it by accident. thanks iOS!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
post post post

to sperg, I think there is an opportunity to make consumer software that doesn't poo poo itself, or that if we don't move to highly reliable software, we're doomed.

“A distributed system is one in which the failure of a computer you didn't even know existed can render your own computer unusable”

with the advent of 'multicore' and 'cloud' and the inevitable ubiquity of computing, we're moving to a world where data lives on different machines, and processing happens across cores, where failure is rampant and destructive.

for the existing real time developments, programmer time is cheaper than run time. it is better to make the programmer do more work than to have something fail. but, almost everywhere else, programmer time is at a premium. it simply isn't economical to develop reliable software.

i'd like to think that hft will lead to adoption of real-time constraints, but I have the feeling it will end up like computer gaming, where fast is almost universally better than correct.

another hope might be academia, but much of the focus is on program verification, rather than reliability. well typed software will eliminate some failure classes, but it doesn't give you robustness. mainstream academia worries about writing correct programs over programs that handle failure. paxos just isn't as cool as hindley-milner.

really, we still don't know how to write and maintain software, let alone reliable software, without throwing vast amounts of time or money at the problem. when we come up short we're left with the inevitably bug-ridden fruit of our labours.

but I don't think we're going to see a renaissance of reliable software, until software failures become expensive, or reliability is cheap.

so if you can work out how to do either, do tell me :3:

vapid cutlery posted:

rad-hardened parts are going to be the next crazy in high end gaming rigs

that or realistic pip boys

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

but I don't think we're going to see a renaissance of reliable software, until software failures become expensive, or reliability is cheap.

the thing is there has been some useful research done in this area that's not too difficult to implement in a reasonable manner - i think you've linked papers before on crash-only software and a more general study on reliability that mentioned process pairs? none of that was too darn complex

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tef posted:

post post post

to sperg, I think there is an opportunity to make consumer software that doesn't poo poo itself, or that if we don't move to highly reliable software, we're doomed.

“A distributed system is one in which the failure of a computer you didn't even know existed can render your own computer unusable”

with the advent of 'multicore' and 'cloud' and the inevitable ubiquity of computing, we're moving to a world where data lives on different machines, and processing happens across cores, where failure is rampant and destructive.

for the existing real time developments, programmer time is cheaper than run time. it is better to make the programmer do more work than to have something fail. but, almost everywhere else, programmer time is at a premium. it simply isn't economical to develop reliable software.

i'd like to think that hft will lead to adoption of real-time constraints, but I have the feeling it will end up like computer gaming, where fast is almost universally better than correct.

another hope might be academia, but much of the focus is on program verification, rather than reliability. well typed software will eliminate some failure classes, but it doesn't give you robustness. mainstream academia worries about writing correct programs over programs that handle failure. paxos just isn't as cool as hindley-milner.

really, we still don't know how to write and maintain software, let alone reliable software, without throwing vast amounts of time or money at the problem. when we come up short we're left with the inevitably bug-ridden fruit of our labours.

so if you can work out how to do either, do tell me :3:

that or realistic pip boys

until the day comes where the nyse et. al. won't reverse trades due to hft algos going tits up, fast will trump reliable on the exchanges

and this is the point i was kinda getting at before, we are in the cave painting era of computer software. forget canvas, forget papyrus leaves, we are still scrawling berry juice on rock with how little we know about managing complexity and software development

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i'd say we're somewhere after mud huts and somewhere before sewage systems

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Otto Skorzeny posted:

the thing is there has been some useful research done in this area that's not too difficult to implement in a reasonable manner - i think you've linked papers before on crash-only software and a more general study on reliability that mentioned process pairs? none of that was too darn complex

yeah. thing is I think we need better language level support for transactions, stuff that would make postgres envious.

did you know you can define functions inside a postgres transaction? transactional updates to running services is neat :3:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
postgres can do everything short of creating a db in a transaction and it owns

and yet people still actually choose to use mysql in tyool 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr Dog posted:

phpmyadmin exists and mysql_query is what everyone in php uses

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
phpmyadmin used to be pretty sweet before they decided to use ajax and tiny little javascript dialogs everywhere

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Mr Dog posted:

some people have fairly substantial mysql installs and want to move to postgres but need to maintain ~7 years of data :(

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

textmate 2 author has given the gently caress up and thrown it on github

http://blog.macromates.com/2012/textmate-2-at-github/

quote:

The choice of license is GPL 3. This is partly to avoid a closed source fork and partly because the hacker in me wants all software to be free (as in speech), so in a time where our platform vendor is taking steps to limit our freedom, this is my small attempt of countering such trend.

apparently the hacker in him couldn't finish his text editor despite being "90% complete" in 2009

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
coming soon to hn: 80 blog posts about text mate 2

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
is hn as bad as my imagined version where it's r/programming mixed with slashdot but somehow angrier and stupider

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

JawnV6 posted:

is hn as bad as my imagined version where it's r/programming mixed with slashdot but somehow angrier and stupider

bang on

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm an entrepreneur with a start-up I wrote software in 15 minutes and added a bootstrap homepage. Livin' the rockstar life.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

it's a bunch of net yuppies talking about startups and VCs and apple and startups

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JawnV6 posted:

it's basically slashdot for people who think they are important because they are "founders" and "entrepreneurs". there is a lot of randroids, fanboys too.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

WTF is hn?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
yhbt. yhl. hn

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Milkie Galore posted:

yhbt. yhl. hn

ack phfft

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

it's basically slashdot for people who think they are important because they are "founders" and "entrepreneurs". there is a lot of randroids, fanboys too.

startup people are hella randroid, look up any ex-paypal c-level

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

gently caress the social startup bubble

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

gucci void main posted:

gently caress the social startup bubble

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

America will be saved through the sheer will of [not a bubble] entrepreneurs in the valley

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

multigl posted:

some people have fairly substantial mysql installs and want to move to postgres but need to maintain ~7 years of data :(

some one please help me convert from mysql to postgres tia

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

MononcQc posted:

America will be saved through the sheer will of [not a bubble] entrepreneurs in the valley

who all lose their jobs within the next 18 months when facebook finally tanks after another worthless quarter and the US goes into another recession (not strictly due to facebook, of course)

president romney will, of course, save us all with master business tactics

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

multigl posted:

some one please help me convert from mysql to postgres tia

https://github.com/ricardochimal/taps

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cocoa Crispies posted:

startup people are hella randroid, look up any ex-paypal c-level

except for elon musk who genuinely seems to be trying to improve the world for people

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

0xB16B00B5 posted:

except for elon musk who genuinely seems to be trying to improve the world for people

by building new businesses that compete with ones that get huge government subsidies/loans/grants/contracts

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
well electric cars and space travel are both pretty sweet and yeah he's gonna get rich off it but whatever.

at least he's trying to do something and they may have decent outlooks, rather than building floating lolbertarian paradises.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
electric cars are poo poo because batteries are poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

0xB16B00B5 posted:

well electric cars and space travel are both pretty sweet and yeah he's gonna get rich off it but whatever.

at least he's trying to do something and they may have decent outlooks, rather than building floating lolbertarian paradises.

is his stake in either venture worth more than he put in?

Shaggar posted:

electric cars are poo poo because batteries are poo poo

also computers are poo poo because they fill entire rooms and only have a few kilobytes of storage