Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Young Freud posted:

You know he's filming his Secret Service actioner, Olympus Has Fallen, with a release date of 2014, right? Also, he's got Hunter Killer, with Navy SEALs trying to rescue the Russian president, and Thunder Run, about the capture of Baghdad, in pre-production.

Wasn't he just in Coriolanus, too? So he has literally done Shakespeare very recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's pretty adorable when Gerard Butler has to hide his accent for a role. He tries his best but he's just so darned bad at it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Uma Thurman's got a Lisa Kudrow look going on there.

Holy poo poo, I thought it WAS Lisa Kudrow.

What the hell.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hewlett posted:

Wasn't he just in Coriolanus, too? So he has literally done Shakespeare very recently.

Yes, he was. It hadn't slipped my mind either, it just he did that and Machine Gun Preacher that year, so those were likely projects personal to him.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Young Freud posted:

You know he's filming his Secret Service actioner, Olympus Has Fallen, with a release date of 2014, right? Also, he's got Hunter Killer, with Navy SEALs trying to rescue the Russian president, and Thunder Run, about the capture of Baghdad, in pre-production.

More importantly, he was just in Coriolanus which was one of the most spectacular films I've seen in a long time.

But to answer dude's question: Gerard Butler is in a ton of Rom-Coms because they're generally 4-6 weeks of effortless work in exchange for a $10-15 million paycheck.

Chick flicks and Japanese commercials are the quickest, easiest way to buy a new gold plated yacht.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gerard Butler is so drat good in Coriolanus.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Chick flicks and Japanese commercials are the quickest, easiest way to buy a new gold plated yacht.
It's not just for frivolous stuff like "I want a Lamborghini, no, FIVE of them!", I've actually had a director say to me about helming a kinda-bad movie, "The truth is, I took the job because it paid my mortgage."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yodzilla posted:

It's pretty adorable when Gerard Butler has to hide his accent for a role. He tries his best but he's just so darned bad at it.

Solomon Kane is the best one for that, because he really didn't try. "Oi must foight evil whoile speaking in a thick Devon aaccent. It is a proice oi will glaadly pay!"

Dave Prowse speaks the same way. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall of the Star Wars set. "You 'ave failed me for the laast toime."

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Jedit posted:

Solomon Kane is the best one for that, because he really didn't try. "Oi must foight evil whoile speaking in a thick Devon aaccent. It is a proice oi will glaadly pay!"

Dave Prowse speaks the same way. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall of the Star Wars set. "You 'ave failed me for the laast toime."

It was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSm9DDxQv8E

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
That long-shelved "Red Dawn" remake has a poster (and a distributor other than MGM strangely enough):

What a generic poster. Wonder what the original movie had as its poster?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
The original Red Dawn poster is fantastic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Robert Denby posted:

That long-shelved "Red Dawn" remake has a poster (and a distributor other than MGM strangely enough):

Oh come on. The original had the coolest loving poster, and that poster for the remake is the definition of lazy :smith:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Painted posters, no matter how bad, are always better than pictures of actors.

Especially the goose flying V and the floating head.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nice product placement on the original one.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Robert Denby posted:

The guy on the right looks stoned out of his mind, and the Hunger Games dude looks like he just poo poo his pants. And now I want the original Red Dawn poster on my wall.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Coffee And Pie posted:

The guy on the right looks stoned out of his mind, and the Hunger Games dude looks like he just poo poo his pants. And now I want the original Red Dawn poster on my wall.

The guy on the right is Josh from the Nickelodeon show, Drake and Josh.

I had no idea he decided to actually try real acting. Looking through his IMDB, he actually has been in a few things. Huh.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

God the color in the Red Dawn poster is like an orgy for my eyeballs.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

That's Chris, not Liam.

VVV Edit: Oh, right. The other Hunger Games guy. VVV

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 9, 2012

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

The MSJ posted:

That's Chris, not Liam.

I think he means Josh Hutcherson.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Wow, I watched Drake & Josh a lot when it was on, and it took me a while to recognize Peck. Dude's lost a lot of weight.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hahah, the McDonalds arches in the original poster.

The new Red Dawn is the movie that was originally about a Chinese invasion, but after the movie was finished the producers realized that plot would alienate a huge potential market, so it was delayed for a year while they applied extensive CGI to change the invading for to North Korea, correct?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bugblatter posted:

The new Red Dawn is the movie that was originally about a Chinese invasion, but after the movie was finished the producers realized that plot would alienate a huge potential market, so it was delayed for a year while they applied extensive CGI to change the invading for to North Korea, correct?

Isn't that what happened to the game Homefront? Unless it also happened with the new Red Dawn, in which case it's sorta funny that two groups made the same mistake and slapped on the same terrible band aid. Wonder how Red Dawn will justify North Korea having, uh, anything.

As an added bonus, here is Homefront's backstory, courtesy of Wiki:

quote:

The game's backstory begins during the early 21st century, with tensions between North Korea and global powers running high due to North Korea's military aggression, including its successful tests of nuclear weapons and the sinking of a South Korean ship.

In 2013, one year after the death of North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong-il (which, incidentally, came in December 2011, several months after the game's release), his son and successor, Kim Jong-un, reunites North and South Korea to form the Greater Korean Republic (GKR). By 2015, a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia, both now nuclear-armed states, has devastated the global oil supply, causing prices to skyrocket. This precipitates extreme economic turmoil and massive social unrest in the U.S. Subsequently, in 2017, the U.S. military recalls much of its overseas presence, particularly in the Pacific. A year later, Japan is conquered by the GKR under the threat of full-scale war.

In 2022, conditions in the U.S. worsen with the collapse of the financial system and an Asian bird flu epidemic that claims millions of lives. In 2024, Korea continues its expansion by annexing most of Southeast Asia, including its emerging economic powers. A year later, the Korean superstate launches a supposed GPS satellite that is actually an orbital weapon. It detonates a high-altitude nuclear device over the U.S., creating an EMP burst that wipes out much of the nation's electrical infrastructure. In the ensuing chaos, the KPA launches an amphibious invasion that seizes control of Hawaii and much of the U.S. Pacific Coast. KPA paratroopers are deployed over the Midwest and, with the U.S. military severely crippled and scattered, are able to effectively divide the nation at the irradiated Mississippi River, placing the Western states under GKR occupation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know what all of those people look like, and still couldn't recognize half of them without the cast list.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Isn't that what happened to the game Homefront? Unless it also happened with the new Red Dawn, in which case it's sorta funny that two groups made the same mistake and slapped on the same terrible band aid. Wonder how Red Dawn will justify North Korea having, uh, anything.

One of the writers of the original Red Dawn also wrote Homefront.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0587518/

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

GrandpaPants posted:

My favorite part of Homefront's backstory is Kim Jong-Un managing to reunite the Korean Peninsula within almost a year of taking office and annexing Japan in less than six. Then Russia, China and the EU suddenly stop existing.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 10, 2012

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I see no reason to be skeptical that the economic powerhouse of South Korea which is backed by a large US Military presence would happily join forced with the dramatically poorer dictatorship to their North, and I'm sure that their union would have no trouble dealing with the surrounding powers of Japan and China and why wouldn't they be able to even occupy Japan after a few years and from there it would be easy to cross the Pacific and...

Jesus Christ.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Homefront timeline if anyone is curious at a "plausible" scenario in which we get invaded.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Homefront timeline if anyone is curious at a "plausible" scenario in which we get invaded.

Haha, "2015: China's influence diminishes." No reason, it just does. Not that the explanations for any of the other events make any sense, but they couldn't even be bothered to bullshit an excuse for getting China out of the picture?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Hahah, the McDonalds arches in the original poster.

That and then MGM kind of imploded which shelved it. Also how Hemsworth filmed this before Thor and its still not out yet.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Bugblatter posted:

If I remember rightly it only cost $1million and 15 minutes of re-shot footage to make the change. They must have been the most generic "East Asian" baddies ever.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Is it not a problem that Koreans don't look that much like the Chinese? I mean, maybe they do to midwestern Americans, but if the change was made to regain the Chinese market, I would think that would be an issue?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I suspect they originally casted for generically "Asian" people.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Xandu posted:

I suspect they originally casted for generically "Asian" people.

Yeah, Hollywood is terrible at stuff like this. I once asked my Egyptian boss at the time if he had seen True Lies when it premiered on cable a few nights earlier (this was a while ago). He rolled his eyes and went on a rant about how all the arab actors were obviously from different countries, some of them were mexican, and they were speaking mostly gibberish and not even farsi or tajik or whatever.

He then postfaced that with "Of course, all these movies are made by the jews, anyways". :happyelf:

(Sorry, I couldn't NOT use that emote...)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I don't get the "oh no we alienated china" story. Is the PRC really gonna go see a movie where communists are the bad guys?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't know if they will but Hollywood's new thing is to try to bring in chinese investors/interest so that they're movies get pick for a foreign release (apparently only so many movies get brought there? I'm sure someone can go into better details about how it works) I think Total Recall and Iron Man 3 made slight changes here and there to get better odds at being picked.

EDIT: Here's a not-too-recent article about it

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think Total Recall and Iron Man 3 made slight changes here and there to get better odds at being picked.

Yeah, I've been reading that thread and going "Weren't the two factions called Euromerica and New Shanghai?", which was changed roughly into the United Federation of Britain (:psyduck:) and The Colony.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I've been reading that thread and going "Weren't the two factions called Euromerica and New Shanghai?", which was changed roughly into the United Federation of Britain (:psyduck:) and The Colony.

Which is kind of weird that they changed it because while the "New Shanghai" group might not have been the good guys, they were the ones who were being attacked with no provocation.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Young Freud posted:

I wondered why, if "The Colony" was supposed to be Australia, everything looked like Janet Jackson's "If" music video.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Peanut President posted:

I don't get the "oh no we alienated china" story. Is the PRC really gonna go see a movie where communists are the bad guys?

China is the fifth largest box office outside of the United States. Even though the government only allows a handful of foreign films to be released each year, it is not an opportunity that MGM would want to miss. Potential distributors were also nervous about associating themselves with the film. There were fears that it would tar their reputation with Chinese investors on future projects.

I also seem to remember there being a bit of a stir when the first drafts of the script were leaked. Chinese government newspapers had headlines like, "U.S. reshoots Cold War movie to demonize China” and “American movie plants hostile seeds against China".

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Bugblatter posted:

Is it not a problem that Koreans don't look that much like the Chinese? I mean, maybe they do to midwestern Americans, but if the change was made to regain the Chinese market, I would think that would be an issue?

Well, the movie seems to use a mix of Chinese and Korean actors anyway. I doubt it would be a big deal. Red Cliff was massive in China and it had Japanese actors playing Chinese historical figures. That kind of crossover doesn't seem uncommon in Asian cinema, or at least it's mostly accepted. Nice crack about midwesterners though. I hate those ignorant dumbasses in Iowa or whatever, they probably can't even tell the difference between Zhuang and Dong facial structures.