Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hakkesshu posted:

I hope they'll reprint the Iron Fist Omnibus.

I wish they'd print a companion of the post-Fraction stuff, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

Uthor posted:

I wish they'd print a companion of the post-Fraction stuff, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

I also want this. The 8th city arc and the one shots were so good.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

There are so many omnibuses that need to be reprinted. I'm just not going to hand over $200+ for PunisherMAX or Fantastic Four volume 2, sorry.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Just Offscreen posted:

It's really nothing like Maus, but what what got my interest was the gorgeous art and the fun, self contained stories. Outside of newspaper comics, at the time I was only really exposed to superhero comics with no ending and no real closure. That combined with an immense continuity to follow and the plethora of good to bad writers/artists to sift through really kind of got to me after awhile, and I lost interest in the medium because of it. Flight was exactly what I needed.

I would definitely recommend looking into the series, starting with any will do, the only story that spans more than two volumes is a series by Michel Gagné. If you had the choice, however, I would start with volume 2 or 3- they will better give you a feel of the overall tone of the series. Volume 1 is good, but every story tried to fit with the theme of "flight" which they largely dropped after the first volume.

Flight showed me the width of the medium, Maus showed me the depth.

Sounds fantastic. Was able to find a like new copy of volume 2 for a good price, so I'll start there. Something tells me this might be right up my alley.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Sounds fantastic. Was able to find a like new copy of volume 2 for a good price, so I'll start there. Something tells me this might be right up my alley.

Excellent! If, in the far far future, you get through them all, I also recommend The Anthology Project. It's a little pricier, but well worth it. Absolutely gorgeous.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Just Offscreen posted:

Excellent! If, in the far far future, you get through them all, I also recommend The Anthology Project. It's a little pricier, but well worth it. Absolutely gorgeous.

Ooh, I like the looks of that too. I love bright, colorful stuff, and most of my favorite comics--I'm a big fan of the Invincible, Chew, and Atomic Robo series--are all colorful with a good dash of humor thrown in. Thanks very much for the recommendations!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Ooh, I like the looks of that too. I love bright, colorful stuff, and most of my favorite comics--I'm a big fan of the Invincible, Chew, and Atomic Robo series--are all colorful with a good dash of humor thrown in. Thanks very much for the recommendations!

No, thank you! I rarely get a chance to gush about the stuff on my shelf- it's always fun to talk up my favorite series and artists.

Also you have excellent taste.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

There are so many omnibuses that need to be reprinted. I'm just not going to hand over $200+ for PunisherMAX or Fantastic Four volume 2, sorry.

Still waiting on Alias here...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

Still waiting on Alias here...

Maybe if the tv show happens

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait I can get $200 for my Alias omni?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Wait I can get $200 for my Alias omni?

I got $400 for one a few years ago.

Lame Bryant
Jun 1, 2006

blah blah blah

Hakkesshu posted:

I hope they'll reprint the Iron Fist Omnibus. That thing's impossible to find for any reasonable price :smith:

Luckily I managed to find a decently cheap copy of Brubaker Captain America on eBay, though.

I've been seeing the Brubaker Cap omnibus pretty cheap at local cons lately. I have one already but I think I have a friend selling his that he picked up for around $25, not sure how much he wants.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lame Bryant posted:

I've been seeing the Brubaker Cap omnibus pretty cheap at local cons lately. I have one already but I think I have a friend selling his that he picked up for around $25, not sure how much he wants.

Which one as there are three

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They reprinted the first Brubaker Cap omnibus twice and was still in stock at Diamond last month.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody have any pictures of the Scott Pilgrim hardcover or New X-Men Omnibus?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Corbet posted:

Does anybody have any pictures of the Scott Pilgrim hardcover or New X-Men Omnibus?

If nobody has posted them I will take some this evening when I get home.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is the new Grendel Omnibus regular sized, or shrunk-down-like-all-other-Dark Horse-Omniboo sized?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Is the new Grendel Omnibus regular sized, or shrunk-down-like-all-other-Dark Horse-Omniboo sized?

Shrunk down.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Shrunk down.
Poop.

solidrooster
Apr 8, 2009

Rhyno posted:

They reprinted the first Brubaker Cap omnibus twice and was still in stock at Diamond last month.

I actually bought the Cap omnibus a few months back and it was a 4th printing. I guess they're keeping this one in circulation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

solidrooster posted:

I actually bought the Cap omnibus a few months back and it was a 4th printing. I guess they're keeping this one in circulation.

4th Print was probably for Avengers. The Simonson and JMS Thor Omnis were both reprinted for that but not Iron Man Vl.1 for some reason.

Edit: Here are all the Marvel Omnibuses currently available from Diamond.

quote:

Avengers Vl.1
Age of Apocalypse
John Carter
Untold Tales of Spider-man
Thor by Simonson
Secret Wars 2
Amazing Spider-man Vl.2
Ultimate Avengers by Millar
X-Men Vl.2
X-Men by Claremnt Vl.1
Wolverine by Aaron vl.1
Tomb of Dracula Vl.3
Squadron Supreme
New X-Men
Amazing Spider-man (McFarland era)
X-Statix
Fantastic Four by Byrne Vl.1
Women of Marvel
Acts of Vengeance
Ultimate Spider-man
Secret Warriors
Punisher by Remender
Acts of Vengeance Crossovers
Avengers the Crossing
X-men by Claremont vl.2
Atlantis Attacks
Captain America Lives
Secret Wars
Dark Tower Slipcase
Evolutionary War
Golden Age of Marvel

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 10, 2012

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, can I request now that somebody let me know next week if the Invisibles Omnibus loses a lot in the gutter and whether or not the letters columns are included?

I really want to pull the trigger, but I don't want to regret the purchase at all. At least it's been confirmed to be sewn, from what I'm reading..

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
So the new edition of Scott Pilgrim is pretty drat great. Fairbairn's colors go perfectly with O'Malley's older style of drawing. I always thought the first volume looked kinda ugly but people like my girlfriend keep telling me it's the best looking out of all the books.

My only gripe about this edition is it's such an odd size to fit on my shelf. No matter where it goes, I'll keep thinking it just doesn't belong.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

TheLoser posted:

So the new edition of Scott Pilgrim is pretty drat great. Fairbairn's colors go perfectly with O'Malley's older style of drawing. I always thought the first volume looked kinda ugly but people like my girlfriend keep telling me it's the best looking out of all the books.

My only gripe about this edition is it's such an odd size to fit on my shelf. No matter where it goes, I'll keep thinking it just doesn't belong.

Is the binding sewn or glued?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

JackDarko posted:

Is the binding sewn or glued?

I think it's glued, but they glued one of the little ribbons at the top that tends to be on sewn bindings? With the size and the amount of glue (looks like something between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch), though, I'd imagine it's going to last a while.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I haven't had a chance to sit down and read the Grendel omnibus yet but I'm pretty concerned about it. The back cover tells me that it will be "following the story chronology" which is something I don't care for (publication order is always better for getting the context and artistic development) but that's something I can live with.

A few years ago I picked up Grendel: Black, White, and Red thinking that short stories about the character would be a good way to get into the series. The problem was that almost every story in it was a follow up to some other part of the Grendel series and it jumped around a lot. I got huge blocks of exposition in these eight page stories about when exactly it took place. That made it a really uninviting way to get in.

So the Grendel Omnibus with it's stories in some semblance of order seemed like a better option for me. Except the very first comics in the omnibus (after what looks like a prose recap): Black, White, and Red. And not even with the stories rearranged chronologically; it's exactly the same as the trade. Looking up where the storylines fall the other material in the omnibus apparently comes in at the end of the story (both in publication order and chronologically). It feels like this should have been volume 3 or 4 in the omnibus set but they accidentally put the cover to volume 1 on it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I haven't had a chance to sit down and read the Grendel omnibus yet but I'm pretty concerned about it. The back cover tells me that it will be "following the story chronology" which is something I don't care for (publication order is always better for getting the context and artistic development) but that's something I can live with.

A few years ago I picked up Grendel: Black, White, and Red thinking that short stories about the character would be a good way to get into the series. The problem was that almost every story in it was a follow up to some other part of the Grendel series and it jumped around a lot. I got huge blocks of exposition in these eight page stories about when exactly it took place. That made it a really uninviting way to get in.

So the Grendel Omnibus with it's stories in some semblance of order seemed like a better option for me. Except the very first comics in the omnibus (after what looks like a prose recap): Black, White, and Red. And not even with the stories rearranged chronologically; it's exactly the same as the trade. Looking up where the storylines fall the other material in the omnibus apparently comes in at the end of the story (both in publication order and chronologically). It feels like this should have been volume 3 or 4 in the omnibus set but they accidentally put the cover to volume 1 on it.

I've read almost all the Hunter Rose Grendel stories before, but I don't own them anymore so I've been looking forward to the Omnibus. Does it include the earliest three issues that predated Devil By the Deed, or Grendel #16-19, with two short Hunter Rose stories from the original Comico run (after the Christine Spar and Brian Li Sung Grendel sagas)?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've read almost all the Hunter Rose Grendel stories before, but I don't own them anymore so I've been looking forward to the Omnibus. Does it include the earliest three issues that predated Devil By the Deed, or Grendel #16-19, with two short Hunter Rose stories from the original Comico run (after the Christine Spar and Brian Li Sung Grendel sagas)?

I don't think so but I'm not really familiar with the source. Here's what's in the table of contents:

Devil By the Deed
Black, White, and Red
Sympathy from the Devil
Red, White, and Black
Behold the Devil

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
Glarble

ABSOLUTE TOP 10 HC
Written by ALAN MOORE
Art by GENE HA and ZANDER CANNON
Cover by GENE HA
Advance solicited • On sale APRIL 24, 592 pg, FC, 8.125″ x 12.25″, $99.99 US
In Neopolis’s Precinct 10, where every citizen is blessed with super powers, they are the law: A talking, armored dog. A genetically engineered “perfect woman.” A high-tech cowboy. An indestructible man. A rookie with a toy box full of “helpers.” These are the cops of the Eisner Award-winning series TOP 10. Now, their adventures, written by Alan Moore, are collected in this new, slipcased edition featuring TOP 10 #1-12, SMAX #1-5, a story from AMERICA’S BEST COMICS SPECIAL #1 and the graphic novel TOP 10: THE FORTY-NINERS.

THE BOOKS OF MAGIC DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by NEIL GAIMAN
Art by JOHN BOLTON, CHARLES VESS, PAUL JOHNSON and SCOTT HAMPTON
Cover by JOHN BOLTON
On sale JANUARY 30 • 208 pg, FC, 7.0625″ x 10.875″ • $24.99 US
From Neil Gaiman comes a mesmerizing tale of the dangers and opportunities of youth, and its endless possibilities. THE BOOKS OF MAGIC collects all four issues of the original miniseries in hardcover for the first time.
Timothy Hunter could be the most powerful magician in the world, but does he really want to be? John Constantine, Phantom Stranger, Mister E, and Doctor Occult attempt to aid Timothy in choosing his path, but by the time Timothy makes a choice, it may already have been made for him.

My money... :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gonna cop that Top 10 for sure.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, sign me up for Top 10 as well. The art should really shine as an absolute. I haven't read it in years, but the Norse issue and the one with the giant chess piece both still stick in my head as the best single issues Moore has done in a long time.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

On a tangent, are any of the non-Moore Top 10 stories actually worth checking out? I miss that world so much, but since it's so character driven, I can see someone just messing that all up.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Marvels November Solicits

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1208/15/marveltrades.htm

quote:

X-FORCE OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC

Written by ROB LIEFELD, FABIAN NICIEZA, TOD MCFARLANE & MORE Penciled by ROB LIEFELD, GUANG YAP, MARK BAGLEY, TOM RANEY, TERRY SHOEMAKER, MIKE MIGNOLA, MARK PACELLA, GREG CAPULLO, TODD MCFARLANE, JOHN ROMITA JR. & MORE Covers by ROB LIEFELD

Beset from all sides by a growing roster of vicious foes, the New Mutants and their mysterious mentor Cable have no choice but to transform into a proactive, butt-kicking, take-no-prisoners mutant strike team! But can the new X-Force survive head-on clashes with Deadpool, the Morlocks, Proteus, Stryfe and his Mutant Liberation Front, the Juggernaut, the new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and…S.H.I.E.L.D.? And what secrets are Cable and Domino hiding? It's high-stakes adventure with all-out action, in-your-face attitude and enormous guns! Nineties' nostalgia at its finest -- guest-starring Spider-Man, the New Warriors, X-Factor and more! Collecting NEW MUTANTS (1983) #98-100 and ANNUAL #7, X-MEN ANNUAL (1970) #15, X-FACTOR ANNUAL #6, X-FORCE (1991) #1-15, SPIDER-MAN (1990) #16, CABLE: BLOOD & METAL #1-2, and material from NEW WARRIORS ANNUAL #1 and X-FORCE ANNUAL (1992) #1.

848 pages, $99.99.

IRON MAN BY MICHELINIE, LAYTON & ROMITA JR. OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC

Written by DAVID MICHELINIE, BOB LAYTON, BILL MANTLO & MORE Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR., BOB LAYTON, JOHN BYRNE, CARMINE INFANTINO, SAL BUSCEMA, JERRY BINGHAM, ALAN WEISS, JOE BROZOWSKI, LUKE MCDONNELL & ALAN KUPPERBERG Covers by JOHN ROMITA JR. & BOB LAYTON

Up-and-coming talents David Michelinie, Bob Layton and John Romita Jr. joined forces to take on Marvel's Golden Avenger in 1978 -- and captured lighting in a bottle! Now, their history-making first run is collected in one massive volume! From Tony Stark's taboo-shattering struggle with alcoholism to Iron Man's legendary clash with Dr. Doom during King Arthur's time, this one's got it all -- including Justin Hammer's introduction; a brutal battle against the Hulk; the menaces of Madame Masque, the Melter, Blizzard, Whiplash, the Dreadnoughts, the Titanium Man and more; and the debut of Tony's outer-space and stealth armors! Guest-starring Ant-Man, Namor and more! Collecting IRON MAN (1968) #115-157.

944 pages, $99.99.

DAREDEVIL BY MARK WAID VOL. 1 HC

Written by MARK WAID Penciled by PAOLO RIVERA, MARCOS MARTIN, EMMA RIOS, KANO & KHOI PHAM Cover by PAOLO RIVERA

THE DEVIL IS REBORN. RENEWED. RESSURECTED. With new enemies, new friends and that same old "grinnin' in the face of hell" attitude, the Man Without Fear is back and leading with his face! Mark Waid joins neo-legendary artists Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin for a new spin on Daredevil that will leave you gasping for air. Having turned his world upside over the past several years, Matt Murdock realizes justice may not be blind to his past -- and villains may not be the only ones looking for answers. Klaw, master of sound. The Megacrime cartel. Mole Man. The Black Cat. Bring it on! If Matt Murdock could see what he was doing...he'd be terrified. Collecting DAREDEVIL #1-10 and 10.1, and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #677.

288 pages, $34.99.

Whoever buys the X-Force omnibus is an idiot or has OD'd on nostalgia. Might go for Iron Man but the material isn't that great and I'd happily read it in the Essential format.

I assume the Daredevil book is an OSHC. Might get it, just finding it had to give a poo poo about Marvel at the moment.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

GrandpaPants posted:

On a tangent, are any of the non-Moore Top 10 stories actually worth checking out? I miss that world so much, but since it's so character driven, I can see someone just messing that all up.

I really liked Top 10 Season 2 (by Ha I think?) when it was coming out, but it was finished early and never collected so good luck finding it. The art was more somber, but it had great ideas like a guy getting caught cross-over dressing, magic as a drug with old wizards selling magic words to kids, and allusions to Shock-Headed Pete's secret origin his moonshine still was struck by lightning.
The other one was complete crap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm all over that Iron Man Omni, that's my favorite IM era.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What happened in X-Men Annual #15 that it would be included in an X-Force omni?

EDIT: Oh wait, it means the series started in 1970, not that the annual came out in 1970. Whoops. It's part of a crossover.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Aw, drat, I just bought the DD tpbs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Marvels November Solicits

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1208/15/marveltrades.htm

Whoever buys the X-Force omnibus is an idiot or has OD'd on nostalgia. Might go for Iron Man but the material isn't that great and I'd happily read it in the Essential format.

I assume the Daredevil book is an OSHC. Might get it, just finding it had to give a poo poo about Marvel at the moment.

Speaking of mutant books from that era, I noticed that Essential X-Factor has reached the first Peter David run. Not actually gotten into it, mind you since he only wrote the last issue in the volume and it's an issue where he's clearing the decks for the new team that starts. I find it really amusing that half the Essential X-Factor volume is other books since that was the point where the mutant books started becoming intertwined in eternal crossovers. So I guess if you wanted a cheaper way to read the X-Tinction Agenda or the Muir Island Saga you're in luck (you're also deranged).

The DD OTOH is already ordered.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone know why Punisher MAX hardcovers 4 and 5 are so retardedly rare and expensive when the first three are pretty cheap? I wanna get the series, but not if I have a heaping big gap in the middle. Is it because it's in the process of being reprinted and they just haven't gotten to those volumes yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyone know why Punisher MAX hardcovers 4 and 5 are so retardedly rare and expensive when the first three are pretty cheap? I wanna get the series, but not if I have a heaping big gap in the middle. Is it because it's in the process of being reprinted and they just haven't gotten to those volumes yet?

Volumes 4 and 5 probably just had a lower print run and so went out of stock sooner than the first three volumes. Punisher MAX: Born and From First to Last are also pretty difficult to get hold of in hardcover (in fact, most people don't even know they exist)

I wouldn't expect a reprint but I'd be surprised if they weren't collected in an omnibus at some point.