Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol if you litterally believe there will be some magical bettery revolution out of nowhere.

battery tech has been poo poo forever despite it being the biggest problem for all electronics. its not a new problem and electic cars arent gonna make it go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
my macbook air gets like 6 or 7 hours of battery life and the tesla has like at least a dozen macbook air sized batteries in it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

lol if you litterally believe there will be some magical bettery revolution out of nowhere.

battery tech has been poo poo forever despite it being the biggest problem for all electronics. its not a new problem and electic cars arent gonna make it go away.

we don't need a magical revolution, they're getting better all the time, and we're getting better at not wasting that energy too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
actually it does need a revolution because the only advances in electic vehicles have been around decreasing weight and minor energy efficiency advances. that poo poo still gets terrible range.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shaggar posted:

actually it does need a revolution because the only advances in electic vehicles have been around decreasing weight and minor energy efficiency advances. that poo poo still gets terrible range.

and like 90% of driving people do is 40 or 50 miles a day during their commute

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

0xB16B00B5 posted:

and like 90% of driving people do is 40 or 50 miles a day during their commute

boy howdy would i love not being able to drive an extra five miles without going home and charging or burning petrol in some wheezy 0.6L generator engine strapped to the back of my 'infinite range' e-car

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you want to understand everything thats wrong w/ electric cars go watch the "documentary" who killed the electric car. the reality is the exact opposite of the conclusions in the film.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
as long as hybrid cars continue to be loving terrible for the environment i'll be happy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
eat poo poo commute havers

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonny 290 posted:

boy howdy would i love not being able to drive an extra five miles without going home and charging or burning petrol in some wheezy 0.6L generator engine strapped to the back of my 'infinite range' e-car

jonny dont be bitter because you need to drive a mile to borrow a cup of sugar from your nearest neighbor.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

0xB16B00B5 posted:

jonny dont be bitter because you need to drive a mile to borrow a cup of sugar from your nearest neighbor.

if i worked from home i could literally live top to bottom, everything from big screen tvs to soda crackers available within a 1 mile walk. sprawl aint the problem, its job drain

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

vapid cutlery posted:

as long as hybrid cars continue to be loving terrible for the environment i'll be happy

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
we need more battery foam

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonny 290 posted:

if i worked from home i could literally live top to bottom, everything from big screen tvs to soda crackers available within a 1 mile walk. sprawl aint the problem, its job drain

and friday night entertainment too, what with the drinking and donuts in the walmart parking lot

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

io dont see what would be wrong with a car using liquid batteries, like zinc-bromine or something. u could top it up at a station just like current fuels. deposit the old liquid to be re-electrolyzed. ez??

the alternative is fuel cells. we have ceramic cells that can run off natural gas at a fairly high efficiency. and in australia we already run cars off petroleum gas. not much of a stretch to make the transition

TiMBuS
Sep 25, 2007

LOL WUT?

computer

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
https://plus.google.com/110981030061712822816/posts/KaSKeg4vQtz

you see, programming is like politics.

simplified by idiots to a range of stereotypes between extremes.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Meanwhile, in reality, static typing is more liberal because it makes it easier to make changes to your project.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jonny 290 posted:

This, but unironically

E: unironically unironically

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

shrughes posted:

Meanwhile, in reality, static typing is more liberal because it makes it easier to make changes to your project.

I'd say the cost of static typing is inversely proportional to the size of your project.

I am amazed how yegge has managed to bring terms into the typing debate with *less consistent meaning* than the ones currently in use.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

I'd say the cost of static typing is inversely proportional to the size of your project.

I am amazed how yegge has managed to bring terms into the typing debate with *less consistent meaning* than the ones currently in use.

the quality of yegge's writing for a given piece is inversely proportional to how serious it is

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

yegge meister

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tef posted:

https://plus.google.com/110981030061712822816/posts/KaSKeg4vQtz

you see, programming is like politics.

simplified by idiots to a range of stereotypes between extremes.

I truly fear we'll get into debates of software conservatives vs. software liberals, and at some point some jackass will say "of course but <person x> is a researcher for <liberal/conservative> software engineering" as if it were a contest.

If that happens, I predict a loving hellhole and I can only imagine myself leaving the industry at once.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

im a computer libertarian

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Panic! At The cisco posted:

internet forums archivist

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

MononcQc posted:

I truly fear we'll get into debates of software conservatives vs. software liberals, and at some point some jackass will say "of course but <person x> is a researcher for <liberal/conservative> software engineering" as if it were a contest.

If that happens, I predict a loving hellhole and I can only imagine myself leaving the industry at once.

people who like static typing are the software conservatives

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

people who like static typing are the software conservatives

what about people who use Turing-complete type systems to do fancy meta-programming within the types?

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
the realm of masochists and haskell programmers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

TiMBuS posted:

io dont see what would be wrong with a car using liquid batteries, like zinc-bromine or something. u could top it up at a station just like current fuels. deposit the old liquid to be re-electrolyzed. ez??

the alternative is fuel cells. we have ceramic cells that can run off natural gas at a fairly high efficiency. and in australia we already run cars off petroleum gas. not much of a stretch to make the transition

anything where you need to exchange fluids is too complex for the public. unit exchanges could be possible iff they are lightweight and/or require infrequent changes. even then they're probably too complex.

sticking a thing into a slot and squeezing it is about all the lowest common denominator can handle

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Panic! At The cisco posted:

http://fdiv.net/2012/04/01/objectivist-c

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

sticking a thing into a slot and squeezing it is about all the lowest common denominator can handle

see also: how baby is made

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes that was the joke

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

TiMBuS posted:

If i were to say, have 500L of bottled up urine from some theoretical WoW raiding days and wanted to dispose of them in an allegedly environmentally friendly way, would having them sucked up into a battery acid reprocessing facility be a good idea?

It would get rid of my bottle storage problems.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

and they still gently caress that up

i had a coworker w/ a mercedes, he was wondering why it ran like poo poo, guy was putting 87 in it and not 93, so the knock sensors were going insane and retarding the timing and killing his performance, i told him to go to 93 cause he's loving his poo poo up and he's like "nah too expensive"

then there's all the diesel in the gas and vice versa. everyone knows someone who has done that

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

fidel sarcastro posted:

see also: how baby is made
see also: how joke is made

corollary: not in this post, not in yours

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

and they still gently caress that up

i had a coworker w/ a mercedes, he was wondering why it ran like poo poo, guy was putting 87 in it and not 93, so the knock sensors were going insane and retarding the timing and killing his performance, i told him to go to 93 cause he's loving his poo poo up and he's like "nah too expensive"

then there's all the diesel in the gas and vice versa. everyone knows someone who has done that

its totally cool to pour a quart of transmission fluid into your engine crankcase with the oil and run it for a while. cleans it up nicely

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

TiMBuS posted:

hydrogen fuel cells :allears: convert water to hydrogen & oxygen with electrolysis, put it in your car, and get water out the tailpipe

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

then the solution is obvious: retrofit existing gas pumps as pneumatic exchangers of rechargeable D-batteries. first it sucks the empty batteries out of the car, then it pushes recharged batteries in, and you pay based on how many you exchange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

its totally cool to pour a quart of transmission fluid into your engine crankcase with the oil and run it for a while. cleans it up nicely

just get the seafoam