Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

bike is due for a service soon i suspect the shop owner is going to be yelling at me 'WHY WOULD YOU EVEN DO THAT'

so for clarification, engine block access is too hard can i just pour the transmission fluid into my gas tank? thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

just get the seafoam

didnt they figure out that it was just a 50/50 of acetone and ATF or something

it works, yeah, im not saying it doesnt, but god drat that poo poo's steep

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Jonny 290 posted:

didnt they figure out that it was just a 50/50 of acetone and ATF or something

it works, yeah, im not saying it doesnt, but god drat that poo poo's steep

ya but nobody ever got fired for buying the seafoam

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"
I'm a strict programming textualist. The only documentation I need is the original code itself, not some activist wiki.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
strict textualists would intepret a selection of code the same time every time. activists want to change the interpretation willy nilly.

basically non-strict textualists are php developers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

multigl posted:

I'm a strict programming textualist. The only documentation I need is the original code itself, not some activist wiki.
unironically this

open source for life

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

people who like static typing are the software conservatives

yeah, that's what the google guy is trying to say, but then he says a lot of things

quote:

I am a hardcore software liberal, bordering on (but not quite) being a liberal extremist.
In the liberal's view, static typing is analogous to Security Theater. It exists solely to make people feel safe.

but

quote:

static types yield better toolchain support. This is undeniably true today, and I have made it my life's work to ensure that it is not true tomorrow.
I'll assert that at some point in the next decade or so, static types will not be a prerequisite for world-class toolchain support.

so start preparing for a PHP IDE that adds little red marks next to code it can't verify to not be meaningless without running it

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
a bunch of people with nothing better to do self-identifying as some dumbass programmer classification they made up

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I am so very angry by this discussion about liberal vs. conservative in the context of code. 100% Serious.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
socially liberal fiscally conservative

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

so start preparing for a PHP IDE that adds little red marks next to code it can't verify to not be meaningless without running it

ugh

that kind of thing is such trash

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
php devs don't like being reminded how wrong they are

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
personally i'm an objectivist-oriented programmer

if an object is not in my inheritance tree, i do everything i can to refactor it out

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

vapid cutlery posted:

php devs don't like being reminded how wrong they are

it's more like, hey, why are you so worked up about what you're code's going to do. run it and find out if you care that much

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
guy a few houses down had a DONT TREAD ON ME flag flying from the mast he has his wireless-stealin' antenna on

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

it's more like, hey, why are you so worked up about what you're code's going to do. run it and find out if you care that much

programming by coincidence - php tenet #1

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

tef posted:

https://plus.google.com/110981030061712822816/posts/KaSKeg4vQtz

you see, programming is like politics.

simplified by idiots to a range of stereotypes between extremes.

quote:

Many of the security engineers at Google happen to be fans of Ruby -- both as an intrinsically secure language, and also as a nice, expressive language for writing auditing scripts and other security analysis tools. It wound up being fairly easy for me to get security sign-off for using Ruby in production for my first project at Google. In contrast, it was almost career-endingly difficult for me to get the same sign-off from our highly conservative systems programmers.

Shaggar is showing signs of programming conservatism?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ruby is a p-language

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

ruby is the worst of the p languages

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
ruby is the exception that proves the rule

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

I am so very angry by this discussion about liberal vs. conservative in the context of code. 100% Serious.

:smith: :hf: :argh:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
is there any way we can cram the word 'duck' onto one of those

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

JawnV6 posted:

is there any way we can cram the word 'duck' onto one of those

mallard fillmore

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

lol, tiny bug assistant just asked me why $thing->methodCall()['index'] wasn't working

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Tiny Bug Child posted:

lol, tiny bug assistant just asked me why $thing->methodCall()['index'] wasn't working

i hope its because methodCall() doesn't return an array(?)

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Sweeper posted:

ahh actually it's because *diablo tristram music starts playing* stay awhile, and listen

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sweeper posted:

no, it's because it does return an array. older versions of php don't support array indexing on function results.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tef posted:

older versions of php don't support array indexing on function results.

lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
enjoy: http://www.reddit.com/r/lolphp/

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

tef posted:

no, it's because it does return an array. older versions of php don't support array indexing on function results.

i knew it was going to be something like this, thats just terrible lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Tiny Bug Child was right

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
except he means 'run it in production'

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
run it once to test it. if nothing obvious is broken, ship it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i call it "test driven development"

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

tef posted:

except he means 'run it in production'

just because it's on the production server doesn't mean it has to be live. like, put it in some subdirectory with a big long name so you're sure no traffic is going to it and test it there. agile web engineering while maintaining security

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
holy poo poo tbc droppin' some truth bombs itt

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

or just do whatever. yesterday i was getting really frustrated at not being able to find a bug so i just edited a debug_print_backtrace() right into some live code so everyone who went to the join form saw a backtrace for a minute or two.

(normally i wrap stuff like that in an "if ($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] == <my ip>)" but that would have been inconvenient in this case)

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I'm a left wing anarcho-syndicalist adjective-oriented establishmentarian yellow programmer

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

tef posted:

iirc they JUST added that in like 5.4, which really speaks to how hosed up the parser is that it doesn't just recognize a function call as an expression or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
well good coding practice says that you should always chec your function return values anyway, so assign it to a variable. idk i think i read that somewhere