Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

Stumbled across this awful mess on IMDB:

I think they tried to photoshop Lundgren's head onto another person's body but ended up completely getting rid of the neck because the head size was too big. Its loving ridiculous.

Patton Oswalt has a really funny bit about that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01l1WIC9mBo

lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

DNS posted:

Well, the movie seems to use a mix of Chinese and Korean actors anyway. I doubt it would be a big deal. Red Cliff was massive in China and it had Japanese actors playing Chinese historical figures. That kind of crossover doesn't seem uncommon in Asian cinema, or at least it's mostly accepted. Nice crack about midwesterners though. I hate those ignorant dumbasses in Iowa or whatever, they probably can't even tell the difference between Zhuang and Dong facial structures.

I didn't really mean it in a derogatory fashion, although I can see that it reads that way. I kind of just meant that it wouldn't bother lay americans, but it might be an issue so far as appealing to Chinese audiences is concerned, although I'm clearly wrong on that point.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

I didn't really mean it in a derogatory fashion, although I can see that it reads that way. I kind of just meant that it wouldn't bother lay americans, but it might be an issue so far as appealing to Chinese audiences is concerned, although I'm clearly wrong on that point.

I'm pretty sure I read some where its Japan that doesn't like Chinese and Korean actors playing historical Japanese figures, but I wouldn't be able to find a source.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I took the Red Dawn change as a "gesture" by the studio to the Chinese to show they don't mean to offend their country. That way, the Chinese would be less compelled to punish the studio by blocking another one of the studio's films from being released there.

Also, the movie will be racist as poo poo and its marketing will inevitably play up how controvsersial it is. I just hope the movie gets released, bombs at the box office, and nobody remembers it two months after the premiere.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I can't respect any fiction that thinks North Korea could be a serious threat to anybody.

I wonder how the survivalist movement in America has fared since the end of the Cold War and armageddon no longer looms over our heads.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Bifford posted:

I can't respect any fiction that thinks North Korea could be a serious threat to anybody.

I wonder how the survivalist movement in America has fared since the end of the Cold War and armageddon no longer looms over our heads.

They're still very much there and very much crazy. Now they're just preparing to fight their own government when they inevitably show their true communist colours and come to take away their guns.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Paranoid people don't need reasons to be paranoid, that's why they're paranoid. :)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
But paranoid people still react to events in their environment. Now that Fallout 3 is never going to happen, people with such dispositions will feel less motivation to move to self-sufficient communes in the countryside.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

I took the Red Dawn change as a "gesture" by the studio to the Chinese to show they don't mean to offend their country. That way, the Chinese would be less compelled to punish the studio by blocking another one of the studio's films from being released there.

Also, the movie will be racist as poo poo and its marketing will inevitably play up how controvsersial it is. I just hope the movie gets released, bombs at the box office, and nobody remembers it two months after the premiere.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that this will drop like a rock when it finally gets released. The film has little appeal outside of the United States; it was already done better in the '80s; a similar film Tomorrow, When The War Began covered an Asian invasion of Australia; and the conservative type of person who would watch this probably has heard the news of the switch by now and will not see it due to pandering to the Chinese.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read that in Men In Black 3 they had to edit out the scene where Will Smith shoots up a Chinese restaurant full of aliens for the Chinese release.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently, Looper has the opposite thing happening. The opening scene of the movie was supposed to be set in Paris, but it was changed to Shanghai after Chinese financing came in. Chinese audiences will get a longer cut of the movie with the Shanghai prologue, but it got cut for US screenings because Rian Johnson thinks it threw off the pacing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Baron Bifford posted:

Someone needs to read the Free Republic thread

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Echo Chamber posted:

Ah I get you.

Also this movie will bomb big time but it will still get a sequel just like Atlas Shrugged.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Peanut President posted:

Ah I get you.

Also this movie will bomb big time but it will still get a sequel just like Atlas Shrugged.

MGM can't really afford to fund the sequels of movies that are failures. Atlas Shrugged is getting a sequel because it's independently funded by a complete whack job who ignores the fact that that the people had their say about an Atlas Shrugged movie and they said "no."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Speaking of which, I saw an Atlas Shrugged II teaser that played in between previews, without the MPAA title card. I have never seen that before in my life.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

MGM can't really afford to fund the sequels of movies that are failures. Atlas Shrugged is getting a sequel because it's independently funded by a complete whack job who ignores the fact that that the people had their say about an Atlas Shrugged movie and they said "no."

The free market said that they did not want a sequel but he said gently caress the free market.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Speaking of which, I saw an Atlas Shrugged II teaser that played in between previews, without the MPAA title card. I have never seen that before in my life.

I've seen the MPAA title card dropped a few times recently. Most notable is the Man of Steel teaser.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've seen the MPAA title card dropped a few times recently. Most notable is the Man of Steel teaser.

Maybe they don't put the MPAA card on when they know there's no possible way anyone could be offended or scared.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bobkatt013 posted:

The free market said that they did not want a sequel but he said gently caress the free market.

I hope we keep getting Atlas Shrugged movies because I heard that they would be contractually obligated to keep the big John Galt speech in that takes something like three hours to say.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope we keep getting Atlas Shrugged movies because I heard that they would be contractually obligated to keep the big John Galt speech in that takes something like three hours to say.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMewhT3e9ow

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Same here. Also, whenever there's text on the screen, it drops to about 12 frames per second and looks like a Flash website ad circa 2003. I laughed very, very hard when I realized what the preview was for, and that a movie coming out in two months is using a trailer that doesn't feature a second of footage from the movie itself within it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For the new Red Dawn movie they could just re-edit it that it is gay Muslims who are attacking America. The kids are at a Chick-Fil-A when it happens (built in product placement). The audience can take pictures of themselves going to see the movie and the movie rides on the buzz of controversy.

Also are you talking about the Atlas Shrugged 2 trailer that uses sound clips for Fox talking head pundits? Because I think they know who they are marketing the film to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

15 minutes. Couldn't stand it any more. The "best" part of this is if they go by the book its just supposed to be a blank TV screen giving the speech and you don't even see John Galt.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think I know who to cast for John Galt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK5ZjtpO-M

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Has anyone ever put the whole of the Galt speech into screenplay format, to see how it works out with the "one page of script = one minute of screentime" rule? I think in the novel it's something like 40,000 words long, which when you consider that a typical novel is 90-100k words is just ridiculous bloviation.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Payndz posted:

Has anyone ever put the whole of the Galt speech into screenplay format, to see how it works out with the "one page of script = one minute of screentime" rule? I think in the novel it's something like 40,000 words long, which when you consider that a typical novel is 90-100k words is just ridiculous bloviation.

The 'one page = one minute rule' only really works if you have other charcters speaking and other things happening in the scene which helps pads out the page a bit more. Pretty sure just a page of dense text would take a lot longer then a minute.

If anyone has recorded the audio of someone reading it out you could probably take that time and added about 5-10% for the additional pauses you would added when filming someone giving a speech and that would give you a much better ball park figure then just the script.

Or you could the sensible thing and just try and eraser all thoughts of it from your mind as best you can.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Haha, "2015: China's influence diminishes." No reason, it just does. Not that the explanations for any of the other events make any sense, but they couldn't even be bothered to bullshit an excuse for getting China out of the picture?

Thats what I hate about these ridiculous "what if" scenarios, they're always based on something not even remotely plausible happening for no reason. Same with most alternate history books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dr_rat posted:

The 'one page = one minute rule' only really works if you have other charcters speaking and other things happening in the scene which helps pads out the page a bit more. Pretty sure just a page of dense text would take a lot longer then a minute.

If anyone has recorded the audio of someone reading it out you could probably take that time and added about 5-10% for the additional pauses you would added when filming someone giving a speech and that would give you a much better ball park figure then just the script.

Or you could the sensible thing and just try and eraser all thoughts of it from your mind as best you can.

Well the one I posted was 3 hours and 18 minutes and if you include the added time it would be a four hour movie.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr.48 posted:

Thats what I hate about these ridiculous "what if" scenarios, they're always based on something not even remotely plausible happening for no reason. Same with most alternate history books.

It's almost as if they're fiction.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Lobok posted:

Maybe they don't put the MPAA card on when they know there's no possible way anyone could be offended or scared.

No, it doesn't work like that. Anything from an MPAA member studio is required to have it in front of it. Sometimes there will be combo trailers where two shorter trailers are approved as one, and then there'll only be one card in front of both.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Well the one I posted was 3 hours and 18 minutes and if you include the added time it would be a four hour movie.

Ah, finally a real epic Peter Jackson can sink his teeth into.

Can't wait for the 6 hour directors cut.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lobok posted:

I think I know who to cast for John Galt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK5ZjtpO-M

If they got Twista to star as John Galt I would pay to see it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Handsome Dead posted:

It's almost as if they're fiction.

"What if" counterfactuals are like zombie movies: they're both fictional, but there has to be some logical consistency to how things work. The moment you start pulling stuff out of your rear end, like zombies can now fly or China's influence diminishes, without explaining why, like the virus that makes the zombies mutates them to have wings or that China's economy collapses almost overnight when America defaults on its loans, then it starts messing with their suspension of disbelief.

And, when dealing with either of those two subjects, maintaining the suspension of disbelief is key.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Ah, finally a real epic Peter Jackson can sink his teeth into.

Can't wait for the 6 hour directors cut.

The released version would be over 6 hours. Since there would be part one which is 1:40, part 2 which is the same length or longer, then the 4 hour one which is just the speech, then I believe a fourth one which has the ending.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I really hope they get to make the Galt speech movie.

It will be the single cheapest, worst, most boring movie ever, and even die hard LOLbertarians won't watch it.

It will be amazing to witness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I'm trying to remember if this is the case and I can't so I trust you.

Talks To Cats
Jan 7, 2012
I hate my job and I hate you, but I'll put up with my job because it makes me a shit-ton of money. I can tell you how to do the same...but you won't listen.

I support charity:water with my erotica charity bundles. Water changes everything.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It will be the single cheapest, worst, most boring movie ever, and even die hard LOLbertarians won't watch it.

They could spice it up with footage of a man working his way up from the orphanage to become a captain of industry, or something. To really underscore the meaning of Galt's speech (I guess, not like I'm going to read it).

Actually I kinda want to see that movie. I'm envisioning the flashback parts of Godfather II with less crime and more top hats.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This is already the first Atlas Shrugged movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Is it not a problem that Koreans don't look that much like the Chinese? I mean, maybe they do to midwestern Americans, but if the change was made to regain the Chinese market, I would think that would be an issue?

Why yes, that is my roommate and I dressed as "North Korean" soldiers to promote Homefront at the E3 Expo as a favor to a friend and 200 bucks.

This demonstrates how much they really cared about the ethnicity of their soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Well there was that one guy from Spain who defected and runs some type of propaganda deal in North Korea.
Alejandro Cao de Benós de Les y Pérez, he run's the North Korea's website
http://www.korea-dpr.com/

homerlaw fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 10, 2012