Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Someone in my area is selling an SV 650s for $3200 OBO.

quote:

2003 SV650S Copper color, full Yoshimira exhaust, GSXR1000 rear shock, Racetech fork springs, good tires,LED flush mounts with electronic flasher, clear alternatives intregrated taillight, competition works fender eliminator, SV racing clip on risers, steel braided brake lines, frame sliders, swingarm sliders, 33,000 km, some scratches and bruises come with tank bag and tail bag. $3200.00 OBO
I have no clue what those extras are, but I'm going to go look at the bike on the weekend. I was thinking about offering $3000 if everything is in good order (I'm in Canada, so things are typically more pricey). Is $3000 about what this bike is worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Even at 3200 I would consider getting that bike, go lower than 3000 and bring cash.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Grimes posted:

Was it dropped down from $3800?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/mcy/3151446693.html

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Grimes posted:

I have no clue what those extras are, but I'm going to go look at the bike on the weekend. I was thinking about offering $3000 if everything is in good order (I'm in Canada, so things are typically more pricey). Is $3000 about what this bike is worth?

That list of extras makes me a bit nervous that it may have been thrashed a bit. Take someone who knows their stuff if you can to give it a really good look over.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

It was. He posted it elsewhere.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That list of extras makes me a bit nervous that it may have been thrashed a bit. Take someone who knows their stuff if you can to give it a really good look over.
To be honest I literally know no one who even rides. :(

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Grimes posted:

To be honest I literally know no one who even rides. :(

Take a local goon. Got to be a Vancouver goon who can help.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Backov posted:

Take a local goon. Got to be a Vancouver goon who can help.

Hello, I'm a Vancouver goon who can help. :)

Fire me a PM and maybe we can sort something out.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Snowdens Secret posted:

With my '12 Speed I can fit a ziploc bag with my reg / insurance card and the owner's manual, and a tire patch kit with two CO2 cartridges. That's a pretty tight fit, and, say, a Gatorade bottle definitely won't go in. The Street has a different tail section but I doubt it's much roomier.

Thanks again. I think Tuesday afternoon I'll be taking another look around the dealer. I didn't even think about looking for under the seat storage.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
A coworker of mine is looking to sell his 2005 Yamaha FZ6 for 2000$. it was involved in an accident once but all the damages were only aesthetic. The windshield has some cracks and the seat is scraped a bit. It would cost me about 200$ to change those parts. the motorbike has 80 000km. Is it a good deal? I'm new to motorcycling and i'm still on my learners license (canada).

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
So this is pretty much the most rad bike ever. Right guys? Right.

1972 Honda CB350, pre-ratted/cafe'd

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That is past radical

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

So this is pretty much the most rad bike ever. Right guys? Right.

1972 Honda CB350, pre-ratted/cafe'd

Lose the fork gaiters and either polish the engine, wheels and fork lowers or matt black them and it will actually bend space and time with awesomeness.

e: definitely polish the metal bits.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lose the fork gaiters and either polish the engine, wheels and fork lowers or matt black them and it will actually bend space and time with awesomeness.

e: definitely polish the metal bits.
Yeah it's going to need a crapload of S100 and a lot of polish but it will be a kickin' rad bike. My own little tribute to Lisbeth Salander. Now let's hope the girl approves...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Yeah it's going to need a crapload of S100 and a lot of polish but it will be a kickin' rad bike. My own little tribute to Lisbeth Salander. Now let's hope the girl approves...

Oh hell no. Rooney Mara rode a Honda. Lisbeth Salander Noomi Rapace rode a Husqvarna.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Safety Dance posted:

Noomi Rapace rode a Husqvarna.
I thought it was a KX?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I take it back, she rode a WR250X (or, according to IMDB, a Husaberg). Still, none of this cafe racer nonsense.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I take it back, she rode a WR250X (or, according to IMDB, a Husaberg). Still, none of this cafe racer nonsense.
Yeah right the Swedish version was good in its own right but Rooney Mara and her Honda CL350 loving rocks. And my girl gave me the go ahead so her name is Lisbeth the CB350 :colbert: :dealwithit:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
So I've been looking at a 2007 Kawasaki KLR650, 11000 miles and the guy wants $2500. I test rode it for about half an hour and everything seemed fine, brakes, suspension, no oil leaks, started fine and drove nice. It does look like it's had a low speed layover, but nothings bent, just some scratches on the paint.

I've seen the title, and it is in his name, does that price seem low to anyone else?

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Major major thanks to sofullofhate for coming out and helping me evaluate the SV-650s. His knowledge of bikes and riding is really impressive, and without him I would have made the wrong choice for sure. The bike would have been simply too much time/money to make safe and ridable, and I would have had to put on a new set of tires among other things. The guy selling the bike was great though, and he actually insisted on giving me an old riding jacket he had sitting in the closet for a long time. I'm sure he'll find the right buyer who will appreciate all the extra mods and won't mind a bit of a project. :)

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

MonkeyNutZ posted:

How horrible would a Ducati Monster 620 be for a first bike? They're a fair bit slower than an SV650 and those get the nod for starter bikes on here every once and a while.
Welp, I got it and it's bloody fantastic

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Beautiful bike.

I met a dude the other day who has a 900 something Ducati (the sport bikey one).

He was telling me that when he needs a valve job it's usually $1500-1700. No idea the accuracy of that. I still want one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

So I've been looking at a 2007 Kawasaki KLR650, 11000 miles and the guy wants $2500. I test rode it for about half an hour and everything seemed fine, brakes, suspension, no oil leaks, started fine and drove nice. It does look like it's had a low speed layover, but nothings bent, just some scratches on the paint.

I've seen the title, and it is in his name, does that price seem low to anyone else?

Sounds a hair low. I'm going to price my '01 around there. The '07 is the last generation, and it's effectively the same as every KLR650 from 1985 until then. If it rides well and the guy's honest about the scratches, I'd jump on it. It's a great bike, and bulletproof.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MonkeyNutZ posted:

:hf:, bro. High fuckin five.

Backov posted:

He was telling me that when he needs a valve job it's usually $1500-1700. No idea the accuracy of that. I still want one.
That's about what it would have cost me on my 2v if you factored in my labor time spent rubbing the closer shims on 600 grit sandpaper for 8 hours because I ordered the wrong size.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
Thinking about buying a street-legal dirt bike for commuting in London. Something that isn't fragile with plenty of go from 0-50mph but I don't need a high top speed. Something with a decent MPG.

Something that's pretty robust i.e. I can drop the whole time when I gently caress up a wheelie and just transport it by throwing it on its side inside a trailer.

I need to be able to treat it pretty badly but still wants to go and doesn't complain and breakdown the whole time.

KTM 250?

mootmoot fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 12, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

mootmoot posted:

Thinking about buying a street-legal dirt bike for commuting in London. Something that isn't fragile with plenty of go from 0-50mph but I don't need a high top speed. Something with a decent MPG.

Something that's pretty robust i.e. I can drop the whole time when I gently caress up a wheelie and just transport it by throwing it on its side inside a trailer.

I need to be able to treat it pretty badly but still wants to go and doesn't complain and breakdown the whole time.

KTM 250?

Proper dirt bikes/competion production supermotos are high maintenance, low reliability, and in the case of mx bikes, tend to have shockingly inappropriate power delivery for road use. There's a reason why London couriers don't ride road-reg'd 250SXs. Dirt bikes suck horribly on tarmac, just like daytona 675s aren't much cop on mx tracks.

Appropriate ktm road options are going to be tough to find, in poo poo condition or over-tooned/blinged for something you want to be able to ride into a black cab occasionally.

If you really want a supermoto, I would just go with a DRZ400 SM {drz400x?). Supply and choice is always good, fully supported from the factory and pretty much designed for what you want to do with it. Lots of blinging options as well if you decide you like it.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
Really helpful, thanks. Been looking at the reviews and they all say that they're great for being a rudeboy, low maintance, crash well but don't do 70mph+/an hour on them which is exactly what I need.

Just got to find a decent second-hand one now.

edit: is there a reason why I can't find it on the suzuki GB website?

mootmoot fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 12, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Backov posted:

Beautiful bike.

I met a dude the other day who has a 900 something Ducati (the sport bikey one).

Yeah, desmo engines can be a pig to work on - why they kept the design on the (deliberately undertuned) Monster engines is a mystery. There's barely a call for them on the superbikes as is nowadays (other manufacturers can get v-twins revving to 12krpm and beyond with conventional valvegear), using it on an engine with a 9krpm rev limit is just being contrary.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

mootmoot posted:

Really helpful, thanks. Been looking at the reviews and they all say that they're great for being a rudeboy, low maintance, crash well but don't do 70mph+/an hour on them which is exactly what I need.

edit: is there a reason why I can't find it on the suzuki GB website?

Recently discontinued. Last year dealers still had new stock they wanted to shift. I think it had about 1 revision in its entire run, so buy mostly on condition rather than age.

IIRC, over here they come in regular DRZ (RWU forks), DRZ400E (enduro - rwu, proper knobblies and didn't come with a V5 - not really what you want) or the DRZ SM (USD forks and 17" wheels from the factory). You will also see RWU forked DRZs that someone has converted to run SM wheels in their shed.

Basically if you're just riding around within London with it, the factory SM version makes the most sense. If you want to take it green laning occasionally, search for one that's being sold with a set of dirt wheels and an adapter plate for the front brake.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

mootmoot posted:

Look at wr250x's as well. similar in power/speed to the drz but fuel injected and have a 6 speed box.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

mootmoot posted:

Thinking about buying a street-legal dirt bike for commuting in London.

Find an old 2stroke under 250cc - my DT175 is awesome for riding like a hoodlum in the city, it maxes out at about 55 and makes a shitload of obnoxious noise.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Come on, I can't be the only one that finds it hilarious that mootmoot is looking for a bike that crashes well.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

echomadman posted:

Look at wr250x's as well. similar in power/speed to the drz but fuel injected and have a 6 speed box.

Very nice bike by all accounts with obviously a more up to date spec than the DRZ, but in Britain at least they were megabucks, which seems to be basically why they were discontinued.

Admittedly I haven't looked recently, but when I was toying with the idea of a similar bike, the rare used 250X would come up with an asking price similar to a brand new DRZ.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I'm going to be looking at an SV650s which is pretty much entirely stock with 43000KM on it.

quote:

For sale is a 2003 Suzuki SV650s with 43k kms. I've had this for 5 years and it's been a great bike. No accidents and no liens.
The bike is in good shape. Local sale and test ride with cash in hand only.

Tires and battery were changed in 2010.
Rear pads done in 2011 and front pads done this year.
Oil and filter, air filter, plugs, and brake fluid were done regularly.

How accurate are service manual maintenance charts typically? Going by the SV650s service manual, the radiator/brake hoses and fuel line are probably due for a replacement. I guess I'd better not rent a trailer out this time without looking at the bike first. :kiddo:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Grimes posted:

Major major thanks to sofullofhate for coming out and helping me evaluate the SV-650s. His knowledge of bikes and riding is really impressive, and without him I would have made the wrong choice for sure. The bike would have been simply too much time/money to make safe and ridable, and I would have had to put on a new set of tires among other things. The guy selling the bike was great though, and he actually insisted on giving me an old riding jacket he had sitting in the closet for a long time. I'm sure he'll find the right buyer who will appreciate all the extra mods and won't mind a bit of a project. :)

No worries man. Good luck finding an unmolested SV650, they're great machines. And any YVR-type goon looking for a nicely-modded 650S (i.e. adjustable clip-ons w/risers, CRG levers, full Yoshi exhaust / headers, RaceTech fork springs and GSX-R1k shock) and doesn't mind a bit of a project, this is a good candidate.

So hey, selling a bike to a brand-new rider with no rear brake ("I never use the rear brake, it just needs bleeding after my son dropped it on that side"), no tip on the shift lever and wearing race take-offs would totally be reasonable, right?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Grimes posted:

I'm going to be looking at an SV650s which is pretty much entirely stock with 43000KM on it.

How accurate are service manual maintenance charts typically? Going by the SV650s service manual, the radiator/brake hoses and fuel line are probably due for a replacement. I guess I'd better not rent a trailer out this time without looking at the bike first. :kiddo:

Any bike that age that's been ridden will have similar kilometers, right? So count on having to replace some bits no matter what.

In this case, it's standard maintenance poo poo rather than "oh hey, so you never bothered to replace the shift lever after you broke the toe peg off?". That bike looks clean as hell.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

sofullofhate posted:

"oh hey, so you never bothered to replace the shift lever after you broke the toe peg off?"
He was using a nut and bolt :unsmith:.

EDIT: He actually just texted me to tell me he fixed the rear brake in case I wanted to make him an offer. He's a nice guy, but I'm pretty sure the offer I would have to give him would be almost insulting since I'd need to buy a new set of tires and who knows what else. :smith:

Grimes fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 13, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Hello CA,

I've got my Basic Rider Course next week and in optimistic, counting-my-chickens anticipation of passing I've been looking at first bikes. There are so many options :ohdear: What would you guys reccomend looking for? As for me:
  • Completely inexperienced with motorcycles. I've only ever ridden single-gear mini dirtbikes and a Tote-Goat once :v:
  • I'm a pretty big dude at 6'3" 210lbs.
  • To start, I will primarily use/learn the bike on my route to work, which is only a few miles on easy, mostly-residential streets.
  • As to style, I want a cruiser (been looking at Rebels, Nighthawks, VStar 250s). Naked bikes look amazing but they mostly seem to be too powerful for a beginner. I've only just started reading about Dualsports but they seem pretty sweet.
  • Budget: around $1500-$2000 (not incl gear). I don't mind going with an older bike, in fact I've seen some 70s/80s Hondas on Craigslist that I love. They just look too small for me.
  • I'm in SoCal, so no concerns about weather or anything. I'm also perfectly comfortable doing mechanical work/maintenance.

My main question is my size, and especially in relation to 250cc starter rides. I am a very cautious person. I really want to learn to ride, but I'm simultaneously respectful as hell of motorcycles and am definitely not going to rush out and push the envelope. With this, and my large frame in mind, would starting out on a larger (500? 650?) size cruiser be okay? I entered my stats on http://cycle-ergo.com/ and the results were comical on the usual starter bikes. I don't want to outgrow the first bike too fast; I'm not made of upgrading money (nor do I want to look totally silly driving around). If you guys have any suggestions/bikes to look at I'd appreciate it.

I've already bought a helmet and have gloves, and am looking at jackets as well. No need to preach on safety gear - I had a spectacular flailing wipeout on the aforementioned minibike. It was low speed and in an empty parking lot, but since I was being a genious in my shorts and T-shirt I was scraped and sore for a month. Lesson learned :v:

Thanks guys.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hello CA,

I've got my Basic Rider Course next week and in optimistic, counting-my-chickens anticipation of passing I've been looking at first bikes. There are so many options :ohdear: What would you guys reccomend looking for? As for me:
  • Completely inexperienced with motorcycles. I've only ever ridden single-gear mini dirtbikes and a Tote-Goat once :v:
  • I'm a pretty big dude at 6'3" 210lbs.
  • To start, I will primarily use/learn the bike on my route to work, which is only a few miles on easy, mostly-residential streets.
  • As to style, I want a cruiser (been looking at Rebels, Nighthawks, VStar 250s). Naked bikes look amazing but they mostly seem to be too powerful for a beginner. I've only just started reading about Dualsports but they seem pretty sweet.
  • Budget: around $1500-$2000 (not incl gear). I don't mind going with an older bike, in fact I've seen some 70s/80s Hondas on Craigslist that I love. They just look too small for me.
  • I'm in SoCal, so no concerns about weather or anything. I'm also perfectly comfortable doing mechanical work/maintenance.

My main question is my size, and especially in relation to 250cc starter rides. I am a very cautious person. I really want to learn to ride, but I'm simultaneously respectful as hell of motorcycles and am definitely not going to rush out and push the envelope. With this, and my large frame in mind, would starting out on a larger (500? 650?) size cruiser be okay? I entered my stats on http://cycle-ergo.com/ and the results were comical on the usual starter bikes. I don't want to outgrow the first bike too fast; I'm not made of upgrading money (nor do I want to look totally silly driving around). If you guys have any suggestions/bikes to look at I'd appreciate it.

I've already bought a helmet and have gloves, and am looking at jackets as well. No need to preach on safety gear - I had a spectacular flailing wipeout on the aforementioned minibike. It was low speed and in an empty parking lot, but since I was being a genious in my shorts and T-shirt I was scraped and sore for a month. Lesson learned :v:

Thanks guys.

Check out the sv650 and some 600-800cc cruisers. You will be wholly underwhelmed on a 250cc bike at your size and weight. I started on a ninja 250 but I'm 140lbs soaking wet, and hadn't even taken the course yet. You should be fine on something a little bigger after you take the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

[*]I'm a pretty big dude at 6'3" 210lbs.

My main question is my size, and especially in relation to 250cc starter rides. I am a very cautious person. I really want to learn to ride, but I'm simultaneously respectful as hell of motorcycles and am definitely not going to rush out and push the envelope. With this, and my large frame in mind, would starting out on a larger (500? 650?) size cruiser be okay?

Even a non-sporty 650 will haul your gigantic rear end around no sweat. My brother(he's like 6'3" but more like 300 pounds) crashed the poo poo out of my KLR650 once by pulling a wheely directly into a cinderblock wall, the drat thing looked like some sort of demented mechanical goat trying to climb a sheer cliff face before it fell backwards onto him.

So yeah, your size is not a problem with a 500 or a 650 and they will gladly scare the everloving christ out of you if you get impatient and grab unreasonable amounts of throttle.

EDIT: Oh and on the 250 route. I'm 5'11" 220ish and my little Ninja I started on would do 100 all day long. It was slow as hell for a bike but I could still outrun traffic - so don't underrate it.