Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Endless Mike posted:

(The camera thing, however, is entirely reasonable, and the Galaxy Nexus's is basically the same one that was in the Nexus S, which was average when it came out almost two years ago.)

While its true that the camera isn't any better than the Nexus S camera, I want to point out that this...

Strom Thurmond posted:

a 5mp camera...a 5mp camera.

...is faulty reasoning that just happened to lead to the right conclusion in this instance. It's entirely possible that one 5mp camera is way better than another 5mp camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Strom Thurmond posted:

I gotta say, looking around, I'm really not impressed - my phone (Droid 2) is more than 2 years old now and it has a 1 gig processor, a gig of RAM, and a 5mp camera
Your Droid 2 only has 512 MB of RAM. I know this because (well, aside from looking it up to confirm), the Droid 3 only has 512 MB of RAM as well, and that's the cited reason for Motorola to discontinue software support for the device within a year (actually six months) of the device's release.

It also only has 8 GB of internal storage, whereas the Droid Maxx (and Galaxy Nexus) has 16 GB. These two devices are literally twice as good as the Droid 2 in every metric except, maybe, the camera. They also run a much newer version of Android that's a vast improvement over previous ones. If you're not that impressed, well then you're a hard guy to impress!

Strom Thurmond posted:

I'm just not all that excited about plopping down ~$400 and signing another 2 year contract for (what appear to me like) relatively minor upgrades.
It doesn't matter because you've already admitted your Droid 2 is dying and that you need something shortly to replace it with. I can also understand your displeasure at spending another $400 for two new phones. However keep in mind that you're paying for the majority of the phone (well, at least the fabricated "retail" cost) through an expensive service plan. The longer you go without using your upgrade, the less value you get for what you're paying every month.

As for the contract, planning on leaving Verizon anytime soon? If not, it doesn't really matter. Should you decide to leave, you can sell your devices used to pay off the prorated ETF.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 28, 2012

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
You all make good points - thank you. I think I'm kidding myself if I expect this round of upgrades to be/feel as significant as last time (which was dumb phone > smart phone). Thanks for the input everyone.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

An iPhone?

Honestly, I wouldn't call it "a big slab" at the current 3.5" form factor, when you compare it to the 4.8" devics on the market. It's also by far the best phone at the "small" form factor size, and you're not going to find anything half-way decent that's smaller.

Hardware keyboards are dead. They're more of a liability on phones these days than they are advantageous.

You're right, 3.5" is not too bad. I've just got used to my phone being tiny, and I've seen some huge Android phones. Thanks for the advice.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I didn't see this in the faq...

Is there any reason to purchase a phone at Best Buy vs carrier retail store vs online vs? In the US. I will be renewing a contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I didn't see this in the faq...

Is there any reason to purchase a phone at Best Buy vs carrier retail store vs online vs? In the US. I will be renewing a contract.

Get the best price, so check all 3. Online retailers have you sign an extra contract, so if you leave early (within 6 months) you have a double cancellation fee, but otherwise ny is fine. Exception being if you are on a corporate or employee referral plan, sometimes those are restricted to corporate only stores (this is mostly sprint).

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Duckman2008 posted:

Get the best price, so check all 3. Online retailers have you sign an extra contract, so if you leave early (within 6 months) you have a double cancellation fee, but otherwise ny is fine. Exception being if you are on a corporate or employee referral plan, sometimes those are restricted to corporate only stores (this is mostly sprint).

I am dealing with at&t, and everywhere seems to list the same prices. Thx for the info.

edit: I tried to purchase an upgrade phone at Best Buy today as I have $50 in BB gift certs. Unfortunately the person there said their system wasn't allowing them to let me keep my current plan, and the only comparable thing was $10 more a month.

Thankfully a "real" AT&T store was across the street, They said there would be no problem keeping my current plan if I got the phone from them.

Both were selling the phone for the exact same amount, but being able to use the BB certs. and saving $50 up front obviously wouldn't make up for spending an extra $240 over 2 years.

God knows what I will ever spend these BB certs. on now!

other people fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 1, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Kaluza-Klein posted:

God knows what I will ever spend these BB certs. on now!

I know this is completely off topic, but just get a $50 Amazon Gift Card with 'em. They'll have Kindle branding on them, but they're just standard Amazon cards.

I did this before, and it works wonders. Although, if it costs anything less than $0.01, you'll need to actually spend some money too since they won't allow a transaction where you pay absolutely nothing. Just grab a soda or something and it rings up perfectly.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'll play ball. I just got an old Cliq but so far I am completely disappointed and am looking for advice.

Country/Provider: US/T-Mobile
Current contract status: Family plan. Unlimited text/data
Budget (phone/plan): $150 or below ideally. I'm on a bit of a budget
Features I know I want: a physical keyboard preferably, and some light web browsing (checking scores and stuff, nothing major)
OS: I'd rather have an android OS if I can but really I'm open to suggestions. I've had this Cliq for a few days and before that I had an old Blackberry from 2008 so I'm pretty much a noob in terms of what's out now.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 2, 2012

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Country/Provider: US/AT&T
Current contract status: Family plan. Unlimited text/2GB data
Budget (phone/plan): $200 or so, not so important as I'll threaten to cancel they will give me a discount.
Features I know I want: Full touch, 4G, dual-core minimum, the works

Looking for a fully featured Android phone, basically trying to beside between the GS3, HTC One X, Atrix HD, and other top end Android AT&T phones. I am switching from my dying Galaxy S Captivate which I have always really liked. The trend in non-removable batteries really annoys me but I can deal with it if I have to. I do like using custom roms and I'm guessing the GS3 is going to be best for that, I haven't seen it in person though and I've heard its kind of ugly and not very ergonomic.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

I'll play ball. I just got an old Cliq but so far I am completely disappointed and am looking for advice.

Country/Provider: US/T-Mobile
Current contract status: Family plan. Unlimited text/data
Budget (phone/plan): $150 or below ideally. I'm on a bit of a budget
Features I know I want: a physical keyboard preferably, and some light web browsing (checking scores and stuff, nothing major)
OS: I'd rather have an android OS if I can but really I'm open to suggestions. I've had this Cliq for a few days and before that I had an old Blackberry from 2008 so I'm pretty much a noob in terms of what's out now.

No offense, but I had to read your post 3 rimes to confirm that you seriously bought a Cliq and were not trolling.

loving get rid of that phone. I don't know or care which version you have, you shouldn't be just getting it.

Best bet is a Nexus S. Its close, but you possibly could get one used for less than $150. At most $200. That is a good buy.

Worst case, the G2 is still decent, should be cheap used ($100?), and dear God it is better than a loving Cliq.

Hot Jam posted:

Country/Provider: US/AT&T
Current contract status: Family plan. Unlimited text/2GB data
Budget (phone/plan): $200 or so, not so important as I'll threaten to cancel they will give me a discount.
Features I know I want: Full touch, 4G, dual-core minimum, the works

Looking for a fully featured Android phone, basically trying to beside between the GS3, HTC One X, Atrix HD, and other top end Android AT&T phones. I am switching from my dying Galaxy S Captivate which I have always really liked. The trend in non-removable batteries really annoys me but I can deal with it if I have to. I do like using custom roms and I'm guessing the GS3 is going to be best for that, I haven't seen it in person though and I've heard its kind of ugly and not very ergonomic.

The galaxy 3 is pretty similar to your phone and honestly seems to run well overall. It is ugly in my opinion, but its a good phone so far (I've had bad luck with Samsung before this, so I'm still reluctant to admit it might be great). The galaxy nexus at $350 no contract is also a great buy, and will have great software support.

I would bet you could still sell your captivate for $100-150, which would bring down the cost of the Nexus. If you are willing to take the time, I would do that, stay off contract, and use your subsidy later. Keep doors open.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 3, 2012

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Country/Provider: USA / Northern California / Any provider with the best deal and reliable coverage

Current contract status: We're looking to buy a new phone with a new contract

Budget (phone/plan): Around $100 up-front and I'd prefer to keep it as close to $30.00 per month as possible

Features I know I want:

This phone is for my mom. My mom isn't good with technology and has a brain injury. She is currently using a pay-as-you-go cell phone, but can't figure out how to use a phone tree to put money on it. She claims the minutes she pays for disappear. In other words, the phone is too complicated for her and not reliable enough.

What I want:

- A cell phone with buttons that's easy to use
- The phone should have a good built-in radio, so it's clear to talk on (for example, I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus and the radio sucks)
- A carrier that provides good coverage in Northern California -- specifically Sonoma County, Lake County, East Sacramento
- Preferrably unlimited minutes so she doesn't think her minutes are disappearing
- No text messaging at all
- No data plan at all
- Easy way to check voice mail
- She's on federal disability, so maybe there's a special discounted plan for disabled people?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Dahbadu posted:

Features I know I want:
What I want:

- A cell phone with buttons that's easy to use
- The phone should have a good built-in radio, so it's clear to talk on (for example, I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus and the radio sucks)
- A carrier that provides good coverage in Northern California -- specifically Sonoma County, Lake County, East Sacramento
- Preferrably unlimited minutes so she doesn't think her minutes are disappearing
- No text messaging at all
- No data plan at all
- Easy way to check voice mail
- She's on federal disability, so maybe there's a special discounted plan for disabled people?

Simple mobile has a $25/mo plan that is unlimited talk and text. They use T-mobile's network, so you'd have T-mobile coverage which is ok. They're also GSM so you can buy pretty much any unlocked GSM device and it would work by swapping in a sim card.
You could buy a brand new nokia 1616 at walmart for $20 and use that. No web browser, no camera, just a solid phone.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Naffer posted:

Simple mobile has a $25/mo plan that is unlimited talk and text. They use T-mobile's network, so you'd have T-mobile coverage which is ok. They're also GSM so you can buy pretty much any unlocked GSM device and it would work by swapping in a sim card.
You could buy a brand new nokia 1616 at walmart for $20 and use that. No web browser, no camera, just a solid phone.

Thank you, good sir.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

No offense, but I had to read your post 3 rimes to confirm that you seriously bought a Cliq and were not trolling.

loving get rid of that phone. I don't know or care which version you have, you shouldn't be just getting it.

Best bet is a Nexus S. Its close, but you possibly could get one used for less than $150. At most $200. That is a good buy.

Worst case, the G2 is still decent, should be cheap used ($100?), and dear God it is better than a loving Cliq.

Cmon Dawg, no need for the hostility, I'm totally new to all this. Yes, it is a lovely phone and I've got it ready to return as soon as I grab a new phone.

Is the MyTouch 4g Slide worth looking at? It's got most of the features I'm looking for and is 4G compatible which would be great.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

Cmon Dawg, no need for the hostility, I'm totally new to all this. Yes, it is a lovely phone and I've got it ready to return as soon as I grab a new phone.

Is the MyTouch 4g Slide worth looking at? It's got most of the features I'm looking for and is 4G compatible which would be great.

Eh, not really. One, it doesn't have Android 4.0, which makes Android a lot better. Two, "4G" on T-Mobile doesn't have much meaning. You'll get pretty fast speeds all around no matter what 3G device you use, since the tech that T-Mobile uses for their "4G", HSPA+ helps with all 3G devices.

A Nexus S used is your best option. You don't need a hardware keyboard on any somewhat modern Android phone. It also runs the latest version of Android. Really the only downside to it is it doesn't have expandable storage. 16 GB is all you get.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Godzilla07 posted:

Eh, not really. One, it doesn't have Android 4.0, which makes Android a lot better. Two, "4G" on T-Mobile doesn't have much meaning. You'll get pretty fast speeds all around no matter what 3G device you use, since the tech that T-Mobile uses for their "4G", HSPA+ helps with all 3G devices.

This is true. On T-mobile the 3G rated max speed is about 7mbit and most 4G phones are 14mbit unless you buy one of the few 42mbit phones. Either way, T-mobile 3G is quite fast, so don't get hung up on 3G vs 4G on Tmobile.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Country/Provider: USA (Washington D.C. Area)/ T-mobile

Current contract status: I'm on a month to month right now so I could either get a new provider or sign a contract with tmobile for a new phone.

Budget (phone/plan): 150-200 for a new phone, tops. I spend about 70 bucks a month for my plan with T-Mobile that includes 500 whenever minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, and unlimited text and data. So for obvious reasons I'd like to keep T-Mobile if I can, but for all I know, something better exists.

Features I know I want: I currently have a Samsung Vibrant that I bought from a goon a year ago, but it has been a real piece of poo poo lately. I'm stuck on Droid 2.2 and I'm annoyed with my phone constantly losing my wi-fi signal unless I restart my phone and not being able to work as well as my previous phone (a G1). I just want a phone that is faster, not as prone to locking up, and able to keep a reliable signal if I'm in a coverage area.

I'm slightly interested in grabbing an iPhone since using my girlfriends seems much more intuitive for me than using my droid. For all I know though, droids have improved greatly since my Vibrant is a two year old phone. I should also mention I get a 15% discount through my employer with AT&T and possibly through Verizon if I opt to get a plan/phone through them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, if you're considering an iPhone, wait a month for sure, since The new iPhone is expected to be released next month. As far as Android goes, it has improved significantly since 2.2. On Verizon, your best Android choices would be either a Samsung Galaxy Nexus or Samsung Galaxy S III. For AT&T, you would probably be looking at a Samsung Galaxy S III or HTC One X. Another option is to buy a Galaxy Nexus direct from Google for $350 and either stick with your current T-Mobile plan or find a prepaid plan through them or StraightTalk (which runs on AT&T's network) and you can probably save some cash month to month.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
Country/Provider: Oregon, T-Mobile currently, open to anything.

Current contract status: Just ended. Was 400 minutes no texting for two lines, $50 a month. This is for me and my spouse.

Budget (phone/plan) summary: Currently have dumbphones. Don't really want to pay more than what we are currently, but it would be nice to have texting.

In-depth: The 400 minutes a month has been enough except for one month when we went over quite a bit. I think we would be willing to pay more if we felt like we were getting a lot in return. I know our friends and family would love for us to have smartphones. We would be fine with paying for fancy phones but not for expensive data plans. For day-to-day use we don't really need anything fancy but it would be nice to have all those features when we're out doing things.

Features I know we want: If we did get texting, it would be nice to have a QWERTY keyboard. Kind of random, but a phone with a good loudspeaker would be nice. I've been using mine a lot lately because my kid likes it. Good battery life is another feature.

One idea I had is to have one fancy phone and one really simple phone, so we probably wouldn't need the same plan. Would we be able to keep our phone numbers? I'm pretty sure we can.

If we did decide on a smartphone, I have no idea how to chose between all the options.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 8, 2012

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Country/Provider: Oregon, T-Mobile currently, open to anything.

Current contract status: Just ended. Was 400 minutes no texting for two lines, $50 a month. This is for me and my spouse.

Budget (phone/plan) summary: Currently have dumbphones. Don't really want to pay more than what we are currently, but it would be nice to have texting.

In-depth: The 400 minutes a month has been enough except for one month when we went over quite a bit. I think we would be willing to pay more if we felt like we were getting a lot in return. I know our friends and family would love for us to have smartphones. We would be fine with paying for fancy phones but not for expensive data plans. For day-to-day use we don't really need anything fancy but it would be nice to have all those features when we're out doing things.

Features I know we want: If we did get texting, it would be nice to have a QWERTY keyboard. Kind of random, but a phone with a good loudspeaker would be nice. I've been using mine a lot lately because my kid likes it. Good battery life is another feature.

One idea I had is to have one fancy phone and one really simple phone, so we probably wouldn't need the same plan. Would we be able to keep our phone numbers? I'm pretty sure we can.

If we did decide on a smartphone, I have no idea how to chose between all the options.

It sounds like you just need a plan with texting and a respectable dumbphone - I'm gonna guess your family is pushing you to get a smartphone when they just want to text you. Cheap general cell service is probably an area where prepaid phones would shine actually, the major carriers charge out the rear end for basic service. My sister pays $35 a month for 300 minutes and unlimited texting/data - she can text and picture message me fine and her little phone can even check facebook and email in a rudimentary fashion. There's probably better options that i don't know about, too.

Smartphones are really nice but if you want to spend less than about $200 on a phone then you really shouldn't consider getting one because under that price point, the smartphones avaliable are poo poo Oh also hardware keyboard are falling out of fashion because touchscreen typing has gotten nice, the only phones with keyboards are mediocre.

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Well, if you're considering an iPhone, wait a month for sure, since The new iPhone is expected to be released next month. As far as Android goes, it has improved significantly since 2.2. On Verizon, your best Android choices would be either a Samsung Galaxy Nexus or Samsung Galaxy S III. For AT&T, you would probably be looking at a Samsung Galaxy S III or HTC One X. Another option is to buy a Galaxy Nexus direct from Google for $350 and either stick with your current T-Mobile plan or find a prepaid plan through them or StraightTalk (which runs on AT&T's network) and you can probably save some cash month to month.

I use T-Mobile and am in the market to upgrade from a 4 year old Blackberry Pearl to a modern smartphone. At this point I am hesitant to invest in a new phone (I just switched to a Value plan for monthly savings per recommendations in the T-Mobile thread). I am on the fence about buying a Galaxy Nexus from Google or a NIB Galaxy S3 (local T-Mo stores have Buy-1-get-1 free deals going on, so there are quite a few listed on CL for $500. Could probably haggle down to $450 vs. the $350 Nexus). Do you know if Google has a new phone coming out soon? Or do you think that the new iPhone will driver prices down on competitors? I'd love to upgrade, but I always get cold feet with technology. I want something that will last me a few years. I am also considering buying an iPhone, they're supposed to have a lot of great apps relevant to my career (pharmacy), but I'd guess these apps would be available on the Droid platform by now. I guess my other concern is that I'd have to buy an unlocked iPhone to use on T-MO, and I am also very hesitant to buy a used phone.

MaineMan fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 10, 2012

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Your best bet on a phone that'll last is an iPhone, with the Nexus devices coming in second. They're both supported for a good two years at least. The iPhone 3GS released in June 2009 is getting iOS 6 and it runs alright for a 3-year old phone. The Nexus S released nearly 2 years ago is running the latest version of Android, and has received 2 major updates to Android, while every other Android phone is lucky to get one.

I'd definitely check out the app situation. Your apps will generally be equivalent and there on both platforms, but some specific apps can be a lot better on iOS while their Android counterparts are mediocre. See how it is for yourself on others' phones if possible.

That being said, I'd probably go with an Android phone, specifically the Nexus devices. Android works well enough these days, and it'll work better with T-Mobile. One, 95% of used "unlocked" iPhones use the Gevey method for being unlocked. It's a major pain in the rear end. The whole point of buying an iPhone is not having to screw around with it to get it to work. Two, true unlocked iPhones cost a lot more. A 16 GB new iPhone will cost $650 unlocked. That's a Galaxy Nexus with a lot of change to spare. Granted, upgrading unlocked iPhones is like buying new ones on subsidy after that initial pill, but it is a bitter pill to swallow.

Either way, welcome to 2012. Being able to browse the web with your phone is pretty nice.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Mister Snips posted:

It sounds like you just need a plan with texting and a respectable dumbphone - I'm gonna guess your family is pushing you to get a smartphone when they just want to text you. Cheap general cell service is probably an area where prepaid phones would shine actually, the major carriers charge out the rear end for basic service. My sister pays $35 a month for 300 minutes and unlimited texting/data - she can text and picture message me fine and her little phone can even check facebook and email in a rudimentary fashion. There's probably better options that i don't know about, too.

Smartphones are really nice but if you want to spend less than about $200 on a phone then you really shouldn't consider getting one because under that price point, the smartphones avaliable are poo poo Oh also hardware keyboard are falling out of fashion because touchscreen typing has gotten nice, the only phones with keyboards are mediocre.

Thanks for the info. After talking about it, we're going to do H20 Wireless until our current phones die. Then I like the idea of getting an intermediate phone like you mentioned. I didn't really think that option existed so yay. And good to know about keyboards - I know my mom is thinking about getting a new phone and she should know that.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Country/Provider: USA, Oregon, Verizon
Current contract status: A year-ish left on an unlimited data plan.
Budget (phone/plan): $300 or so?
What do I want?: I just split off of a family plan with my ex. I am very happy and surprised that I was allowed to keep my unlimited data line. I plan to hold onto this service for as long as I can, so I am going to be on my own when it comes to upgrading phones. Right now I have a Thunderbolt. I'm doing OK with it but I'd like to upgrade to something newer eventually. I mostly care about battery life, reliability, good connectivity/reception and (software) mod-friendliness. Is there anything in that price range that would be a worthwhile upgrade? Used is fine of course. The Galaxy Nexus seemed like a great fit at first but it sounds like the battery isn't that great and that it has some other issues with connectivity and such?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HondaCivet posted:

Country/Provider: USA, Oregon, Verizon
Current contract status: A year-ish left on an unlimited data plan.
Budget (phone/plan): $300 or so?
What do I want?: I just split off of a family plan with my ex. I am very happy and surprised that I was allowed to keep my unlimited data line. I plan to hold onto this service for as long as I can, so I am going to be on my own when it comes to upgrading phones. Right now I have a Thunderbolt. I'm doing OK with it but I'd like to upgrade to something newer eventually. I mostly care about battery life, reliability, good connectivity/reception and (software) mod-friendliness. Is there anything in that price range that would be a worthwhile upgrade? Used is fine of course. The Galaxy Nexus seemed like a great fit at first but it sounds like the battery isn't that great and that it has some other issues with connectivity and such?

Yeah, I can't talk from personal experience, but that seems to be the consensus on the nexus. Look at the Razr Maxx, that might fit the bill for you.

mango time
Feb 20, 2008
Country/Provider: Telus in the GTA, Ontario, Canada

Current contract status: I'm using my sister's iPhone 4 until she comes back at the end of August.

Budget (phone/plan): I don't want to spend more than around $50/month. I hardly use voice minutes and don't use more than 1gb of data a month.

Features I know I want:

I would very much like to avoid signing a contract. My last phone (before I started using my sister's iPhone) was the HTC Dream. It was sort of awful with random restarting loops, touch screen issues and not ringing for calls. Rogers wasn't helpful at all and I refuse to get a phone with them again, if I must get a contract. I hear Androids have come a long way since the HTC Dream at least.

I've been looking at Koodoo, Virgin Mobile and Wind. I am liking Koodo the best so far since Wind sounds like it has bad reception at my school. I'm thinking about perhaps an iPhone 4 s or Samsung Galaxy S III. To be honest, I hardly use my iPhone apps. I mostly use my phone for texting, email, Evernote, taking pictures and Facebook so maybe it isn't necessary to have something like an iPhone or the new Samsung Galaxy. I would like something reliable with decent battery life. I think I'll probably have to spend like $500 for a smartphone without a contract but I'd love to spend less than that.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
Currently, I am on a month-to-month contract with my sister. It has been a low feature plan, but neither of us has needed more, until now. Her job is starting to require texting, and she also mentioned wanting to be able to check her email on her phone.

What I would like is to know about two possibilities. The first is where we still share a plan, possibly adding my wife. We would need a moderate amount of minutes, ability to text, and a small data plan, preferably on a low budget (max $40/month/person)

The second possibility would be for me to join my wife's family plan, and I would need to find something for my sister. Same requirements, but for max $40/month for a single line.

Country/Provider:US, AT&T

Current Contract Status: currently a month-to-month family plan with my sister

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mango time posted:

It was sort of awful with random restarting loops, touch screen issues and not ringing for calls. ... I hear Androids have come a long way since the HTC Dream at least.
Actually those are still pretty typical problems with some Android devices. The only way to avoid getting a "lemon" is to pick something that has a reputation for being reliable and waiting a week or two after an update comes out make sure others don't have any major issues with it.

Otherwise the iPhone is pretty reliable.

mango time posted:

I think I'll probably have to spend like $500 for a smartphone without a contract but I'd love to spend less than that.
To be honest, the best all-around Android phone is the Galaxy Nexus. It'll work on any/all Canadian carriers and it's only $350 (USD) on Google Play.

The catch, however, is that I don't think the one on Google Play can be purchased in Canada. As far as I know, most brick and mortar retailers really want to sell you the Galaxy Nexus with a three year contract. Looks like you can find them online from various importers but you're looking $450-500 which is a considerably less good deal. It'd be worth having someone picking up/shipping one to you from the US if possible.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Location/Provider: US/Pre-paid

Budget: $200-ish

What up: My wife and I have always just used feature phones, but for my birthday last month she bought me an unlocked Galaxy Nexus which I'm using on Straight Talk, a pre-paid carrier here in the U.S. Now she's hooked and wants to upgrade to a smartphone as well, but she doesn't feel like she needs a phone as advanced as my GNex - and so we're looking for an android phone in the $200 range that we can use on a prepaid carrier.

Edit: What are people's thoughts on the Nexus S? I found one here for $229, and I like the idea of sticking with the Nexus line as I know it'll get updated.

DEO3 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 12, 2012

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

DEO3 posted:

Location/Provider: US/Pre-paid

Budget: $200-ish

What up: My wife and I have always just used feature phones, but for my birthday last month she bought me an unlocked Galaxy Nexus which I'm using on Straight Talk, a pre-paid carrier here in the U.S. Now she's hooked and wants to upgrade to a smartphone as well, but she doesn't feel like she needs a phone as advanced as my GNex - and so we're looking for an android phone in the $200 range that we can use on a prepaid carrier.

Edit: What are people's thoughts on the Nexus S? I found one here for $229, and I like the idea of sticking with the Nexus line as I know it'll get updated.

Well, you ended up with the recommended choice for phones within that budget anyway, so you're good to go.

E: Do double-check the frequency bands of the Nexus S version you're getting and make sure your prepaid carrier uses the same bands. The Galaxy Nexus can be used across all US GSM carriers because it's pentaband, but there are several Nexus S versions, depending on the carrier.

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 12, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DEO3 posted:

Edit: What are people's thoughts on the Nexus S?
It's a good phone, but is getting dated as it nears two years old now. It does run Jelly Bean, but it's a bit taxing on the phone's limited resources. Also, some folks have complained recently that the Jelly Bean update isn't perfect for it, after a while of use it lags a bit whenever doing database access (i.e., opening Contacts, Messaging, etc.).

Of course, I wouldn't consider any other device from that era. I guess if she didn't get the Galaxy Nexus, you might consider giving her yours as a hand-me-down when the next GSM Nexus model hits.

And yes, there's a radio compatibility concern. The GT-I9020T model, which is he original and more frequently encountered, only supports 3G on T-Mobile's network, but you can get Straight Talk of the T-Mo variety if you want, so the only issue is whether T-Mo's network has as good reception (assuming you're on the AT&T Straight Talk variant).

The GT-I9020A model is the one compatible with AT&T's service, but it's a bit more difficult to find as it wasn't sold nearly as long.

If you happen across a GT-I9023, that's also T-Mobile compatible, but pretty much only sold internationally.

mango time
Feb 20, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Actually those are still pretty typical problems with some Android devices. The only way to avoid getting a "lemon" is to pick something that has a reputation for being reliable and waiting a week or two after an update comes out make sure others don't have any major issues with it.

Otherwise the iPhone is pretty reliable.

To be honest, the best all-around Android phone is the Galaxy Nexus. It'll work on any/all Canadian carriers and it's only $350 (USD) on Google Play.

The catch, however, is that I don't think the one on Google Play can be purchased in Canada. As far as I know, most brick and mortar retailers really want to sell you the Galaxy Nexus with a three year contract. Looks like you can find them online from various importers but you're looking $450-500 which is a considerably less good deal. It'd be worth having someone picking up/shipping one to you from the US if possible.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know anyone in the US so I guess I'll just go with the iPhone. I saw that Koodo has some sort of (up to) $100 bonus gift for buying an iPhone so maybe it'll only end up costing me $400. I can live with that.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
My mom's phone was lost today, she needs a new one and wants to get a smartphone.

She's with Verizon and has a full upgrade. She doesn't currently have any Internet, or really a functioning computer, at home so this would be a way for her to get some Internet access.

Ideally it would be great if it could easily do wifi (does it still cost money on Verizon? It's so easy with t-mobile...) since I just gave her my old nook color.

Oh yeah, and she's really bad at technology, so this is a huge step for her...

I imagine she could switch carriers if it would be best.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dopaMEAN posted:

My mom's phone was lost today, she needs a new one and wants to get a smartphone.

She's with Verizon and has a full upgrade. She doesn't currently have any Internet, or really a functioning computer, at home so this would be a way for her to get some Internet access.

Ideally it would be great if it could easily do wifi (does it still cost money on Verizon? It's so easy with t-mobile...) since I just gave her my old nook color.

Oh yeah, and she's really bad at technology, so this is a huge step for her...

I imagine she could switch carriers if it would be best.

This screams iPhone, definitely just get her a 4S or wait for the 5. Either would be fine for her.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Is it possible to transfer a Sprint plan (in particular, SERO) to another person AND port the number to Google voice so I can keep it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

Is it possible to transfer a Sprint plan (in particular, SERO) to another person AND port the number to Google voice so I can keep it?

You can definitely port your number to Google voice, but the only way to keep the SERO account active is to keep it under your name with whatever new number. And for obvious reasons that isn't a good idea.

Non-SERO plans that works fine, but SERO they won't transfer.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

mango time posted:

Country/Provider: Telus in the GTA, Ontario, Canada

Current contract status: I'm using my sister's iPhone 4 until she comes back at the end of August.

Budget (phone/plan): I don't want to spend more than around $50/month. I hardly use voice minutes and don't use more than 1gb of data a month.

Features I know I want:

I would very much like to avoid signing a contract. My last phone (before I started using my sister's iPhone) was the HTC Dream. It was sort of awful with random restarting loops, touch screen issues and not ringing for calls. Rogers wasn't helpful at all and I refuse to get a phone with them again, if I must get a contract. I hear Androids have come a long way since the HTC Dream at least.

I've been looking at Koodoo, Virgin Mobile and Wind. I am liking Koodo the best so far since Wind sounds like it has bad reception at my school. I'm thinking about perhaps an iPhone 4 s or Samsung Galaxy S III. To be honest, I hardly use my iPhone apps. I mostly use my phone for texting, email, Evernote, taking pictures and Facebook so maybe it isn't necessary to have something like an iPhone or the new Samsung Galaxy. I would like something reliable with decent battery life. I think I'll probably have to spend like $500 for a smartphone without a contract but I'd love to spend less than that.

It's not the 4S or the SGS3 but Koodo just launched ghw S2X for $300 on month to month and they are fairly affordable with no activation fee. I think they're giving away a Visa GC with them now or soon too. It comes preloaded with ICS. The S2X is pentaband which is handy too.

It is certainly faster than an iPhone 4 if Android is up your alley.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 14, 2012

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Country/Provider: AT&T

Current contract status: Contract is up, looking to switch away for something cheaper.

Budget (phone/plan): $100/mo for 2 phones with unlimited texting. We use an average of 300-400 minutes/month between us so we don't need a ton, but we do a ton of texting.

Features I know I want: No smartphones, and we want something on the cheaper side without going prepaid. We won't be using any data. The main features we want for our phones are a keyboard (touch or physical, doesn't matter much as long as it works) and threaded messaging. We'd prefer a solid phone over any other remaining features, because we only text everyone we know and call only when necessary and anything else we don't use (music, data, etc..).

Pricewise, Sprints EPRP has a plan for $80/mo, but all the phones look horrible(LG Rumor Reflex/Touch and Kyocera Brio). The next closest is T-mobile for $100/mo for nearly the same thing but the phone selection is better. We're wanting to steer away from prepaid because we've heard the quality is generally poo poo, and we'd rather have decent quality. We don't mind a 2 year contract as long as we're happy with the setup.

Any suggestions? Is there anything to fit our budget without leaving us with poo poo phones for years to come? We're clueless as to phone suggestions, so we would welcome any recommendations on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Yarrbossa posted:

Any suggestions? Is there anything to fit our budget without leaving us with poo poo phones for years to come? We're clueless as to phone suggestions, so we would welcome any recommendations on that front.

Ok, you said no-prepaid but I'm going to suggest prepaid anyways because you could save gobs of money if you don't want a data plan. The only disadvantage to prepaid networks is that you have to pay for the phones outright, but otherwise you use the same towers and have the same coverage with a few exceptions (No LTE data on ATT/Verizon prepaid, sometimes more limited roaming).

Simple Mobile 2*$25=$50 per month for two phones with unlimited texting and minutes on Tmobile's network. They have a huge selection of phones for under $100. You can activate essentially any GSM phone you want. http://www.mysimplemobile.com/

Ting: These guys are kind of oddball in their pricing and its all a la carte. They resell Sprint service. 2 phones with 1000 minutes and 6000 texts is $44/mo. If you use less you pay less. Phone selections are bit more limited. https://ting.com/plans

Pageplus: They resell Verizon service and will give you two phones with unlimited talk and text for $80 total per month. Verizon has the best network around. They have very limited phone selections but I think you can activate old verizon phones. (Call them to be sure). https://www.pagepluscellular.com

Going prepaid can save you on the order of $50 a month which is $600 a year.

Edit: If you really don't want prepaid you could do Verizon's "Share Everything Options for Basic Phones" which would work out to $100/mo for unlimited talk and text for two lines plus discounted phones on a 2 year contract. It doesn't look like verizon has any keyboard phones for those plans though.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 15, 2012