Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hey guys, just got this game after having a quick look through this thread, and I got interested, considered buying it. Looked at the development team and saw it was Obsidian and suddenly my money was gone and this copy of the game was sat in front of me. Having fun so far, whoever complained about the shooting mechanics of this game clearly have never used a gun, because this game encourages real life fire arms training, which is 'stand still and take your time'. People are just too used to being this 'God with a Gun' that Call of Duty style FPS presents.

Run through the tutorial. Then I messed up and skipped a part of the training (Parker's) and went back to repeat it. Having gone through it twice now, I have settled on a stealth character, which I feel will run with my usual style of play. Also, I'm making Darcy my best bud because the game presents him to you as the biggest douche under the Sun and I must go against the tide.

Oh yeah, I picked BOTH recruit and hard mode. Because I am loving bonkers and want REAL stealth games. Gotta go hard to play hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Another Person posted:

Hey guys, just got this game after having a quick look through this thread, and I got interested, considered buying it. Looked at the development team and saw it was Obsidian and suddenly my money was gone and this copy of the game was sat in front of me. Having fun so far, whoever complained about the shooting mechanics of this game clearly have never used a gun, because this game encourages real life fire arms training, which is 'stand still and take your time'. People are just too used to being this 'God with a Gun' that Call of Duty style FPS presents.

Run through the tutorial. Then I messed up and skipped a part of the training (Parker's) and went back to repeat it. Having gone through it twice now, I have settled on a stealth character, which I feel will run with my usual style of play. Also, I'm making Darcy my best bud because the game presents him to you as the biggest douche under the Sun and I must go against the tide.

Oh yeah, I picked BOTH recruit and hard mode. Because I am loving bonkers and want REAL stealth games. Gotta go hard to play hard.

Just a tip: hard mode really isn't hard as it is frustrating; minigames simply get ridiculous and fights just get frustrating. The difficulty level really doesn't have an impact on stealth gameplay, since stealth is untouched on difficult, but the unavoidable fights are simply not fun on Hard. I would highly recommend restarting with a normal recruit run if you want a challenge, especially if it's your first time playing. Hard mode simply isn't fun, nor is it a challenge in the 'you need mad skills' sense.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

pnumoman posted:

Just a tip: hard mode really isn't hard as it is frustrating; minigames simply get ridiculous and fights just get frustrating. The difficulty level really doesn't have an impact on stealth gameplay, since stealth is untouched on difficult, but the unavoidable fights are simply not fun on Hard. I would highly recommend restarting with a normal recruit run if you want a challenge, especially if it's your first time playing. Hard mode simply isn't fun, nor is it a challenge in the 'you need mad skills' sense.

1 rank of sabotage, load up on EMP grenades and disable the minigames that way. Also stealth+pistols = GOD even on recruit mode.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

pnumoman posted:

Eeeeeh, it makes the consequences for my gently caress ups feel more real, which is the entire theme of the game. I always go straight in on the hardest difficulty on games that I buy (except Bethesda titles because health is not difficulty, it is padding). If there were a 'take a bullet and your character acts like a guy who just took a bullet' option, I would take that, especially if those mechanics were also placed on the enemy. And critical shots with the assault rifle and pistol emulate this experience entirely.

Nasri's base took me roughly two hours to complete, but boy did I feel good for managing it whilst only killing his last room of guards. Also, I sold the default body armour so I could buy some subsonic rounds. Shirt and chinos all the way man.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

1 rank of sabotage, load up on EMP grenades and disable the minigames that way. Also stealth+pistols = GOD even on recruit mode.

I guess. I love the minigames, though. Well, okay, the hacking one is simply acceptable with an xbox controller, but I legitimately love the security system one. Makes me feel all cool and stuff.

And I always play no-kill Thornton when I'm doing a pistol+stealth run, so it gets simply frustrating on hard. If you're gonna kill peeps on pistol+stealth, I guess that works fine even on hard. I just like being all rambo thornton if I'm on a bloody playthrough.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

pnumoman posted:

I guess. I love the minigames, though. Well, okay, the hacking one is simply acceptable with an xbox controller, but I legitimately love the security system one. Makes me feel all cool and stuff.

And I always play no-kill Thornton when I'm doing a pistol+stealth run, so it gets simply frustrating on hard. If you're gonna kill peeps on pistol+stealth, I guess that works fine even on hard. I just like being all rambo thornton if I'm on a bloody playthrough.

Like a real spy, I am killing only if I HAVE to. Quite pissed that Clearing House does not stock Tranq Rounds for the first few missions though, and when they do it is at $19000 a pop.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Another Person posted:

Like a real spy, I am killing only if I HAVE to. Quite pissed that Clearing House does not stock Tranq Rounds for the first few missions though, and when they do it is at $19000 a pop.

Yeah, tranq rounds are fairly hard to come by at first. Just do takedowns as often as you can and you'll quickly find yourself swimming in tranq rounds.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Another Person posted:

Use regular bullets to disable alarm-switches, then melee-takedown everybody. Tranq rounds should be for shooting people you can't reach (there are a couple).

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Use regular bullets to disable alarm-switches

Wait, what?

:aaaaa:

I've finished AP three times. I might have to reinstall just for that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Another Person posted:

Eeeeeh, it makes the consequences for my gently caress ups feel more real, which is the entire theme of the game. I always go straight in on the hardest difficulty on games that I buy (except Bethesda titles because health is not difficulty, it is padding). If there were a 'take a bullet and your character acts like a guy who just took a bullet' option, I would take that, especially if those mechanics were also placed on the enemy. And critical shots with the assault rifle and pistol emulate this experience entirely.

Nasri's base took me roughly two hours to complete, but boy did I feel good for managing it whilst only killing his last room of guards. Also, I sold the default body armour so I could buy some subsonic rounds. Shirt and chinos all the way man.

Yeah, but we're talking like on hard eventually the minigames become literally impossible to complete and straight critical headshots will just annoy guards and set off the alarms. It really is unfair and unfun, so just bear that in mind.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

I've had this game sitting in my Steam library for a while but didn't want to play it until I upgraded my computer. Mission accomplished, and I'm enjoying it so far, but I've run into a (most likely stupid) problem. Whenever I open the PDA, I don't have any way to exit it again. There's no back or exit button anywhere and pushing P again does nothing. Esc does nothing. I'm having to shut down the game and reload saves in order to exit the PDA and it is kind of irritating!

What am I doing wrong?

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Traxus IV posted:

I've had this game sitting in my Steam library for a while but didn't want to play it until I upgraded my computer. Mission accomplished, and I'm enjoying it so far, but I've run into a (most likely stupid) problem. Whenever I open the PDA, I don't have any way to exit it again. There's no back or exit button anywhere and pushing P again does nothing. Esc does nothing. I'm having to shut down the game and reload saves in order to exit the PDA and it is kind of irritating!

What am I doing wrong?

IIRC right clicking usually works. Tab might also. It's been a while since I last played though, so I might be misremembering (I seem to recall Esc working fine for me).

Also just an FYI for other PC players: the M, P, and I keys are all shortcuts for the various PDA functions (map, level up screen, and inventory). For whatever reason none of these are listed in the options menu or manual. As much as I love this game, it was really badly ported to the PC.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I feel comfortable assuming the bad port is Sega's fault..

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Traxus IV posted:

What am I doing wrong?
Tab gets you out.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Turn up the radio.

I think I found my favorite boss fight in any game ever, even is if it was hellacious.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hey, I beat this on recruit ages ago and didn't have it in me to do a veteran run. Well, now I do! Anywhere to download something to unlock veteran mode without doing recruit again?

EDIT: Thanks, Prawn. Worked like a charm.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 13, 2012

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Blacktoll posted:

Hey, I beat this on recruit ages ago and didn't have it in me to do a veteran run. Well, now I do! Anywhere to download something to unlock veteran mode without doing recruit again?

This was posted earlier on in the thread and should seemingly work if you have a hex editor:

quote:

In your [Documents]/Alpha Protocol/Profile folder there should be a file called ProfileOptions.dat. By comparing the file before and after finishing the game there is a single byte change in the file with a hex editor. In my version it is address 000000400 and it's value changes from 00 to 03 as highlighted below.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Insanity Prawn posted:

This was posted earlier on in the thread and should seemingly work if you have a hex editor:

I can confirm that this does, indeed, work.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A smug sociopath posted:

Wait, what?

:aaaaa:

I've finished AP three times. I might have to reinstall just for that.

The rifle is actually pretty handy for this because you can load up on silent rounds, carefully snipe all of the alarm panels from your hiding location, and then go challenge everyone in the room to a massive brawl.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

The rifle is actually pretty handy for this because you can load up on silent rounds, carefully snipe all of the alarm panels from your hiding location, and then go challenge everyone in the room to a massive brawl.

For $20,000 a pop, you can at least.

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
Hey if you always choose sarcasm and shoot everybody it's kind of like watching an episode of Archer.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Can't help but feel that the Taipei Subway Mission is terrible just on the basis that it FORCES you to do a bypass minigame which, if you opted to not invest greatly in Sabotage, turns into a dick move. All out of EMP's, I had to sit there for 30 mins, playing the same minigame over and over with clumsy controls and a waning patience. So many times I got the tenth wire JUST as it hit zero, so many times I called bullshit.

Other than that, hard mode has been just fine so far. Probably extended my playtime somewhat though. At least it makes for a hot distraction.

That forced minigame also made me realise how all Sega soundtracks sound the same. It sounds like a 3D Sonic title soundtrack at times.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I think the biggest problem with hard mode is (Moscow)Intercept Surkov at US Embassy The ally NPCs are retarded, do virtually no damage, and die almost immediately. The dude you're trying to protect turns into some kind of bloodthirsty, suicidal nutcase that thinks he's in full body armor whenever he's not using the "cover" (that doesn't cover) in the area. The attacking force is like 10-15 dudes, and some of them spawn above/behind you. I'd argue that it's one of the worst parts of the game, even on normal.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

I think the biggest problem with hard mode is (Moscow)Intercept Surkov at US Embassy The ally NPCs are retarded, do virtually no damage, and die almost immediately. The dude you're trying to protect turns into some kind of bloodthirsty, suicidal nutcase that thinks he's in full body armor whenever he's not using the "cover" (that doesn't cover) in the area. The attacking force is like 10-15 dudes, and some of them spawn above/behind you. I'd argue that it's one of the worst parts of the game, even on normal.

I paid for the sniper rifle deadrop, walked up to the roof and ended that section in roughly 2 minutes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Another Person posted:

I paid for the sniper rifle deadrop, walked up to the roof and ended that section in roughly 2 minutes.

Now try it again going non-lethal all the way. Took me about as many tries as there are NPCs.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Now try it again going non-lethal all the way. Took me about as many tries as there are NPCs.

I was doing non-lethal up until that point. I did TRY to do that non-lethal to get props from Albatross, died once, then remembered my dead drop. The only reason I gave up so quickly is because I ran out of darts mid fight (I had about six), and Moscow was my first stop so I couldn't just buy more darts yet.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, it's going to completely change the dynamics of any given situation. Can't believe I never even thought of that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A smug sociopath is absolutely the best name for someone in the Alpha Protocol thread.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Another Person posted:

Can't help but feel that the Taipei Subway Mission is terrible just on the basis that it FORCES you to do a bypass minigame which, if you opted to not invest greatly in Sabotage, turns into a dick move. All out of EMP's, I had to sit there for 30 mins, playing the same minigame over and over with clumsy controls and a waning patience. So many times I got the tenth wire JUST as it hit zero, so many times I called bullshit.

Other than that, hard mode has been just fine so far. Probably extended my playtime somewhat though. At least it makes for a hot distraction.

That forced minigame also made me realise how all Sega soundtracks sound the same. It sounds like a 3D Sonic title soundtrack at times.

I don't remember there being a forced mini game in that level. Where is it?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't remember there being a forced mini game in that level. Where is it?

Right after Heck does the train-minigun drive by on the Chinese Secret Police.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Another Person posted:

There's an alternate solution to that part (and a different cutscene).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ephemeron posted:

You can't just say that in this goddamn thread and leave it there.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

poptart_fairy posted:

Especially because you can just post this for everything about the game and there's like a 90% chance it'll be correct.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

I think he means outrunning the subway car, but I think the other guy was talking about a different door

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Ephemeron posted:

Yep, I ran through the entire room to see if there was. There wasn't. I tried to get off of the platform and onto the tracks for alternate path. There wasn't. I tried to backpedal up the station to see if there was a way back and around. There wasn't. I tried to see if it was possible to just run through the room, through the door before the target closed it after himself. It wasn't. I think I tried everything I could.

I tried to see if I could take the target down with quick shot before he got through the door. Apparently quick shot doesn't deter this guy, as he still ran like Usain even with it on. So please, if there was another way out, tell me so that when I play it again with another character I can just skip that terrible room entirely.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Open the door

Shoot the sign

???

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Crappy Jack posted:

I think he means outrunning the subway car

Wait what, there's an another solution than to pick the door behind you open? :aaaaa:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Smol posted:

Wait what, there's an another solution than to pick the door behind you open? :aaaaa:

Are we talking about the bit where you finally catch up with the guy and he has nowhere to go?
All I've ever done is shoot him in the face and run to the switch, is there another way???

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Two Finger posted:

Are we talking about the bit where you finally catch up with the guy and he has nowhere to go?
All I've ever done is shoot him in the face and run to the switch, is there another way???

There is. I think you have to run away from the train after you retrieve the data from his body and Thorton does some sort of fancy dive. It's been a while since I've played that section though but there definitely is two ways that can play out.

I think everyone else is talking about the section where you are on the final subway platform after Heck's appearance and trying to hack the door at the end of that. As far as I remember there is no way to skip hacking that door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Hank Morgan posted:

I think everyone else is talking about the section where you are on the final subway platform after Heck's appearance and trying to hack the door at the end of that. As far as I remember there is no way to skip hacking that door.

Oh. I thought it was about the subway train section and its optional timed locked door puzzle. :o:

• Locked thread