Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Why am I jumping diagonally off cliffs, to land on another cliff?

(Jump up to the left of the first head, and then try and go back down)

Also, you the teleporter warps me to a place. I don't see that place inside the editor.

Great work overall, this is really impressive. Is this on GitHub or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why am I jumping diagonally off cliffs, to land on another cliff?

Hah, that's just not finding the floor properly on the way down and carrying on. I didn't set up the area to block the jump far enough, it works the same way in the original lttp, they just tested their areas properly.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also, you the teleporter warps me to a place. I don't see that place inside the editor.

Use the dropdown box in the areas tab to see the different areas. Add new ones, and build stuff and warp between them, etc.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Great work overall, this is really impressive. Is this on GitHub or something?

Thanks. :) No it's just been sitting in my wamp folder for a while and this is the first I'm posting of it, I probably will soon.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Clavius posted:

Some of yall might remember the little zelda-ish JS game engine I posted a while back. Well I kinda spent a ridiculous amount of time rebuilding it from the ground up with a crazy editor and proper zelda 3 graphics and stuff. Here's how the game looks:

GO PLAY WITH IT

It's pretty sweet, it has a few types of collisions, water physics, infinite floor support, jumping off ledges, teleports between locations, etc.

The coolest thing I think is support for an infinite amount of floor layers with a fairly reliable seamless transition method between them so you can walk underneath like ten different layers of graphics and still have everything display properly. I limited it in the editor to four just for clarity and lag reasons, but it could theoretically do as many as you want. I set up a few nice little tests for it in the setup example.

A few things I haven't done (yet?): Diagonal tiles, I did these the last time I wrote an engine but the code has changed so much that and become a shitload more modular, I haven't managed to wrap my head around it. Enemies, interactive objects like heart pieces and rocks and poo poo. Overworld transitions, so like moving between areas with a visual moving transition. Basically stuff I haven't gotten to yet.

I also want to rewrite the way the graphics work. Right now it uses image files like this one to build everything:

I wanted it to be super moddable so that could like, make a graphics set in photoshop and drop it straight in and start moving tiles around. For this type of thing though i've found that the flexibility you get with palettes and so on is better. I'd like to build a thing that takes an image you give it and translates it into usable palletted graphic sets.

The way it works is that you have graphic sets like that one above, then you have tile sets. Tiles are made with four slots for graphics with three potential frames of animation and a set 'behaviour', so wall, floor, water, etc. You drop in one of these tiles in the area editor and the game engine decides what to do based on the behaviour setting of that particular sub-tile. Makes editing areas super easy and fun.

The editor is a whole nother animal that I spent a ridiculous amount of time building, I'll probably write a huge post/guide for that thing in another post. It seems pretty self explanatory to me right now but that's probably because I've been using it as I've built it...

Anyway, play with it, it's rad as heck. Build your own link to the past landscape in a friendly web interface. Right click for context menus. Ctrl and Alt keys for adding to/removing from selections of tiles.

If you want to save something you build in it, click on the "edit game data directly" button in the top right and save the stringed JSON in a text file.

e:
works best and fastest in chrome. One or two things in the editor are broken in FF at the moment, something to do with events. IE support is less than zero in any version for now.

This is mind blowingly good. It is really impressive how much you've done with HTML5. I remember playing your original version and never expected something like this to come out of it.

Thumbs up all around!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah that is really sweet. What composites did you use for the layering when you go in a cave or under something?

It's so disappointing seeing something like this then remembering that the audio support for browsers still sucks balls.

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!

Manslaughter posted:

Yeah that is really sweet. What composites did you use for the layering when you go in a cave or under something?

It's so disappointing seeing something like this then remembering that the audio support for browsers still sucks balls.

It basically uses a temp canvas when drawing each layer, then applies a black circle as a mask using destination-out if it needs to, then draws the temp canvas to the main game canvas. If a circle is cut out then set the globalAlpha of the temp context to whatever and draw the area layer over again. So I do a bit of a fade in and out by counting the frames since hitting tiles and not hitting tiles and setting the globalAlpha between 0.2 and 1.

Audio is pretty lovely yeah, I think something could be made to emulate it using mp3s of samples off the top of my head. It would be easy enough to do straight music, if a bit slow loading, but not really thought about it in any detail.

Clavius fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 14, 2012

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mr. Wedenhart posted:

It seems to be the map from DEFCON and everyone's nuking Australia :australia: .

Yeah, its the DEFCON map. I wanted to improve it by generating it on the fly so we could do different colour schemes and whatnot, but got distracted by other things.

It looks like its nuking Australia because we are a Perth ISP, so naturally all of our traffic has an endpoint or startpoint there :)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Clavius posted:

Some of yall might remember the little zelda-ish JS game engine I posted a while back. Well I kinda spent a ridiculous amount of time rebuilding it from the ground up with a crazy editor and proper zelda 3 graphics and stuff. Here's how the game looks:

That is pretty swanky. I remember writing something similar using in c++ back in college, but your implementation is much nicer. I like the little circle mask effect you have when you go in a cave.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

_Gumby posted:

I wrote this when I was bored over the weekend, it takes netflow/ipfix data, uses a geoip database to determine location of source/destination ip addresses, then draws a nice little visualisation of the data traveling. Its absolutely useless, but the higher-ups at my workplace thought it was super awesome, so that's always nice..

It looks a lot nicer when its animating...

This is super neat, how do you go about resolving ip locations to the map?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Tres Burritos posted:

This is super neat, how do you go about resolving ip locations to the map?

pass maxmind or something an IP, get a lat/lng coord?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

_Gumby posted:

I wrote this when I was bored over the weekend, it takes netflow/ipfix data, uses a geoip database to determine location of source/destination ip addresses, then draws a nice little visualisation of the data traveling. Its absolutely useless, but the higher-ups at my workplace thought it was super awesome, so that's always nice..

You should put this up somewhere. I want to see it.

nrichprime
May 29, 2004

_Gumby posted:

:respek: I made a very similar app a few yeas ago, but displayed the data on a spinning OpenGL globe. Are you using GeoIP for the IP data?

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

nrichprime posted:

:respek: I made a very similar app a few yeas ago, but displayed the data on a spinning OpenGL globe. Are you using GeoIP for the IP data?

Yeah, its using the maxmind free db to lookup lat/long.

I actually wrote another version that uses Three.js and websockets to put the flows on a 3d spinning globe, but i thought it looked pretty naff, so didn't polish it or anything.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Clavius posted:

works best and fastest in chrome. One or two things in the editor are broken in FF at the moment, something to do with events. IE support is less than zero in any version for now.

I checked it quickly in IE10 and it seems to be working fine except no user input is ever registered. The reason looks like to be the way event registration prefers attachEvent over addEventListener, but uses wrong event name for it: "mouseup" instead of "onmouseup". Here's an example:

JavaScript code:
				if (this.el.attachEvent) {
					this.el.attachEvent("mouseup", func);
				} else if (this.el.addEventListener) {
					this.el.addEventListener("mouseup", func, false);
				} else {
					this.el.onmouseup = func;
				}	
Looks really good otherwise!

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 24, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

_Gumby posted:

where do you work, fellow perthie?

edit: missed the last page. Cool.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

This is pretty cool, I remember you posting about it a few times before and I'm glad to see you're still working on it. I have this vague memory of you wanting to use RBMs for texture synthesis, is that still your goal?

It looks like your interface doesn't allow for mixed L1 + L2 regularization, is there any particular reason why not?

Why do your hidden activations look not-binary?

When you do get around to making the code available you should definitely post it here. I look forward to seeing it.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I started making a Doodle Jump clone as a way to learn Unity, but it somehow turned into this:

So it's kinda like a first-person Doodle Jump, with randomly-generated levels. Still a bunch of work to do on making the content a bit more varied and interesting. Originally I had the platforms going straight up in a cylinder arrangement, but trying to look around and land on platforms at the same time just didn't work, so now it's more like a path.

Actually, the cool thing I've just implemented is randomly-generated music, which you can hear in action in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoMn_FWKmi4

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Nition posted:

Actually, the cool thing I've just implemented is randomly-generated music, which you can hear in action in this video:

Really, really awesome, nice work! What happens if you don't land on a platform? :ohdear:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

fletcher posted:

Really, really awesome, nice work! What happens if you don't land on a platform? :ohdear:

Thanks! I'm going to make a video soon giving some details on how I did the music stuff. It's not really super complicated.

If you fall off a platform you lose. :( You can push R to end the game, or it'll end automatically once you reach the cloud layer. You can try it out if you like; I won't spam my site here but there are downloads on the DevLog I'm doing on TIGSource: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=27227

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Nition posted:

I started making a Doodle Jump clone as a way to learn Unity, but it somehow turned into this:

So it's kinda like a first-person Doodle Jump, with randomly-generated levels. Still a bunch of work to do on making the content a bit more varied and interesting. Originally I had the platforms going straight up in a cylinder arrangement, but trying to look around and land on platforms at the same time just didn't work, so now it's more like a path.

Is it intended for you to get a little boost of speed after you reach the apex of your jump? The video makes it feel like you get as high as you possibly can and then you kind of surge forward way more than it feels like you should.

Not trying to detract from some great work. Just a thought/question.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

_Gumby posted:

Yeah, its the DEFCON map. I wanted to improve it by generating it on the fly so we could do different colour schemes and whatnot, but got distracted by other things.

It looks like its nuking Australia because we are a Perth ISP, so naturally all of our traffic has an endpoint or startpoint there :)

This is awesome. Could you make it work with a user defined trace route? Like in Swordfish where he shows the money moving around the place?

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!
After a weekend of hacking on my summer vacation and some slight polishing later on, this happened:

Some of you Amiga/MS-DOS oldtimers probably remember tracker modules - this is a module player implemented in JavaScript using the Web Audio API. It only supports 4 channel Amiga Protracker and 4-32 channel PC Fast Tracker modules so far, but I'll look into adding S3M/XM/IT later.

Of course, as you can see from the image - you can go and give it a try!

Only Chrome 14.0+ and Safari 6.0+ run it so far - other browsers don't yet have support for Web Audio.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Not really visual but this is my foray into learning Python and doing some text mining. It takes text inputted from the user and tells you whether it looks insulting.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

firehawk posted:

Your link to the "VGA version" doesn't work on the page - http://mod.haxor.fi/Captain/vga

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 24, 2020

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!

Grawl posted:

Your link to the "VGA version" doesn't work on the page - http://mod.haxor.fi/Captain/vga
Ah, the href was missing a slash - fixed it. Thanks!

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Took a break from the procedural generation stuff on the roguelike/dungeon crawler game I've been working on and implemented some simple collision detection and started playing with the Krypton lighting engine. Hard to show it off with screenshots, so here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWX1SUNPdEM

Gotta love those Oryx sprites!

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

_Gumby posted:

Yeah, its using the maxmind free db to lookup lat/long.

I actually wrote another version that uses Three.js and websockets to put the flows on a 3d spinning globe, but i thought it looked pretty naff, so didn't polish it or anything.

Hah, I did exactly that recently. I ended up deciding that the flatmap is more useful unless the traffic is centered around a specific geographic area.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

firehawk posted:

After a weekend of hacking on my summer vacation and some slight polishing later on, this happened:

Some of you Amiga/MS-DOS oldtimers probably remember tracker modules - this is a module player implemented in JavaScript using the Web Audio API. It only supports 4 channel Amiga Protracker and 4-32 channel PC Fast Tracker modules so far, but I'll look into adding S3M/XM/IT later.

Only Chrome 14.0+ and Safari 6.0+ run it so far - other browsers don't yet have support for Web Audio.

Gonna try this out tomorrow, I just wanted to say that it looks sweet!

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Some kid never heard of Wolfenstein 3D posted:

Biowarfare posted:

Actually no, what was it? It apparently was released before I was born

edit: ah, killing nazis, WW2 game(?)

I feel older than a necron.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

TJChap2840 posted:

Is it intended for you to get a little boost of speed after you reach the apex of your jump? The video makes it feel like you get as high as you possibly can and then you kind of surge forward way more than it feels like you should.

Not trying to detract from some great work. Just a thought/question.

The horizontal movement isn't all imparted from the jump; I think you're just seeing the player controlling it. You can control your horizontal movement while in the air, although acceleration is fairly slow.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

thegasman2000 posted:

This is awesome. Could you make it work with a user defined trace route? Like in Swordfish where he shows the money moving around the place?

Probably could do, i guess the main thing stopping me is that getting traceroute data is slow, and I wanted it reasonably live. Thinking about it now though, if it takes a few seconds of buffering to get the traceroute, that probably wouldnt matter.

~Coxy posted:

where do you work, fellow perthie?

I'm at Zetta

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Quick and dirty marching tetrahedrons.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Unity development is more fun than I expected. Definitely not fine-tuned for procedurally generating objects, but that's okay.

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

Ask me about who Jewish girls should not marry!

Sub Par posted:

Not really visual but this is my foray into learning Python and doing some text mining. It takes text inputted from the user and tells you whether it looks insulting.

Do me a favor. What's the output for: "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Red Mike posted:

Unity development is more fun than I expected. Definitely not fine-tuned for procedurally generating objects, but that's okay.

Ha, my whole (Unity) game is procedurally generated objects.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Nition posted:

Thanks! I'm going to make a video soon giving some details on how I did the music stuff. It's not really super complicated.

Just to follow up on this, if anyone's interested, I made the video. Might be interesting to someone.

Edit: Oops, would have just edited my previous post if I'd realised it was still the latest.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

_Gumby posted:

This is pretty cool. The one change I would make is centering Australia (have Europe on the left edge, America on the right), so the routes are approximately accurate.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I would make Madagascar flash red every time a line overlays it, with the word 'QUARANTINE' flashing above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 24, 2020