Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I'm taking Tycho to a wedding next Friday, but the invitations requested "Semi-Formal Attire only please" so I couldn't just try to let him skirt by the rules:

I'll take off his other collar for that, this was jut to make sure it fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I don't know who all was planning on coming to the Corgoon meetup, but it looks like I'm going to have to postpone a week or so. One of my close friends is going to be in town and I am now furiously planning an impromptu baby shower for her.

Who all lives in Washington? I know it's more than 3 or 4.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

I don't know who all was planning on coming to the Corgoon meetup, but it looks like I'm going to have to postpone a week or so. One of my close friends is going to be in town and I am now furiously planning an impromptu baby shower for her.

Who all lives in Washington? I know it's more than 3 or 4.

I do :)

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Yeah I've been meaning to reply, my husband was in a wreck last week on I-405.. I think they're going to total out the car. We're not allowed to have the dogs in the rental, so I'd need another week or two at least. Plus it would NOT be fun doing a dog park on a real hot day.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Miss Indy posted:

Yeah I've been meaning to reply, my husband was in a wreck last week on I-405.. I think they're going to total out the car. We're not allowed to have the dogs in the rental, so I'd need another week or two at least. Plus it would NOT be fun doing a dog park on a real hot day.

Is he ok? :ohdear:

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Oh yeah, sorry.. he's fine. He wasn't moving due to traffic, the guy behind him didn't see that people were stopped and just plowed right into my husband and shoved him into the car in front of him. He hit his head pretty bad on the headrest, threw him forward and I think he may have hit his head again on the steering wheel. Threw his glasses off, so it was a pretty hard hit. I took him to the ER that night and he checked out fine. Next day though I had to leave work early to go watch him, he was complaining of a bad headache and I was concerned he had a concussion. Doing fine now, just waiting to hear back if they are going to total the car or not.

Ready your corgis, Western WA goons, after all this heat we got thunderstorms coming on Saturday and Sunday. Zeke really flipped during that last bad string of thunderstorms we had about month back. Probably a good thing this weekend wasn't working out for people :)

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Does anyone else have issues with their corgi never wanting to be left alone, ever? We've kennel trained Tycho and he's used to the daily routine of my girlfriend putting him in when she leaves for work, and that's really no problem. On days off though, when we kennel him to go to the store or something like that, he will just bark like mad as soon as we leave the house and will keep that up on and off for a good long while. It's sad because he's such a quiet dog, he never ever barks except then. :( He doesn't seem to have a problem with the kennel itself, and even goes in there to sleep on his own from time to time in the evening.

Has anyone had any experience with that, or any good recommendations for getting him to stop? I'm moving into a townhouse this weekend and am worried about bugging my neighbors. They all have dogs so some barking isn't a huge deal, but I want to be a good neighbor. I was recommended one of those bark-activated shock collars which I will absolutely 100% never ever ever put my dog though, but maybe there's an alternative that isn't so... cruel?

Maybe this is a better question for the training thread, but to keep it topical here's a picture of Tycho from our cabin this weekend.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I think herding dogs in general really really like routine and often get freaked out when that routine is broken. it sounds like that's what is going on with you- he knows the routine of going-to-work but not going-to-the-store.

I'd work on making going-to-the-store a little routine of it's own- maybe if it's always at random times, have other things you do before that are familiar to him. Like, you put him in his crate with a kong and the only time he gets it is if you're going to the store, and you always walk him around the house twice before you leave, or something like that. So he knows, okay, it's time for a short nap in the crate but they'll be back soon, because they did the going-to-the-store routine.

Orbit is a year and a half and the older he gets the more serious he is about routines and habits. Just yesterday i was super tired and not really thinking, and he'd let me know that he needed to go outside. I let him out the back door without his leash on, because I just wasn't thinking, and he stared at me like "uhhh, you know you didn't put a leash on me, right?" and waited for me to go back inside, put his leash on, and THEN he barreled up the hill of our backyard to go run around and do his business. I thought it was pretty funny that he didn't want to run around until he had his leash on, because he knows that outside = leash on. (we don't have fences and live on a ~5 acre property and his recall isn't great, so he always has his leash on outside, even if it's just dragging behind him)

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Orbit sounds so adorable :3: and that's a really great idea. Moving to our new place will be a good opportunity to start new routines for just about everything, so I'll make a point to go over a few ideas with my girlfriend to make sure we're consistent. Thanks!

Have a picture of Tycho looking appreciative

You've got no ears, Lieutenant Tycho!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Golden-i posted:

Orbit sounds so adorable :3: and that's a really great idea. Moving to our new place will be a good opportunity to start new routines for just about everything, so I'll make a point to go over a few ideas with my girlfriend to make sure we're consistent. Thanks!

Have a picture of Tycho looking appreciative

You've got no ears, Lieutenant Tycho!

aww he's the cutest.

Have you taught a "go to your crate" cue? We always always give Orbit a treat when he goes in his crate, and say "go to your crate" and he RUNS in and waits for his treat. I was just at my grandma's house for a week and brought him with me and set his crate up there, and I wasn't sure how he'd feel about being crated in a different house, but when he saw I was getting shoes on and keys together and stuff to leave the house, he ran into his crate and waited for his treat because he knew it was time for me to head out the door.

If you're getting that sort of reaction when your girlfriend leaves for work every day, then I'd work on building it up at other times too. Just tell him to go to his crate, give him a treat, walk into another room for a while or leave the house for a minute, then come back. Do it again a few hours later. Once he learns that it's the same basic process he might start feeling better about it.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Well, that's the thing - when he knows we're leaving and going to crate him, he runs to the other room. You can't push him into it or anything, he will resist with all his strength. However, all you need to do is touch the back of his collar, kind of like you'd be dragging him but barely just hook your fingers on the collar and he will actually pull you over to the kennel and sit down in it. Of course, he gets a treat every time. I've only had him since February and I think that's something left over from his previous owner, they must have dragged him by the collar to a crate or kennel on a regular basis. That's thing about having a shelter dog, but it's nice knowing that nobody's gonna ever be dragging him around like that again!

I really need to replace that cue with a verbal command, and I think I'll work on that after we move this weekend. He really just hates it when we leave, I think he sees us as his herd and gets really upset if one of us goes missing.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Golden-i posted:

Well, that's the thing - when he knows we're leaving and going to crate him, he runs to the other room. You can't push him into it or anything, he will resist with all his strength. However, all you need to do is touch the back of his collar, kind of like you'd be dragging him but barely just hook your fingers on the collar and he will actually pull you over to the kennel and sit down in it. Of course, he gets a treat every time. I've only had him since February and I think that's something left over from his previous owner, they must have dragged him by the collar to a crate or kennel on a regular basis. That's thing about having a shelter dog, but it's nice knowing that nobody's gonna ever be dragging him around like that again!

I really need to replace that cue with a verbal command, and I think I'll work on that after we move this weekend. He really just hates it when we leave, I think he sees us as his herd and gets really upset if one of us goes missing.

ahh yeah it definitely sounds like that's some anxiety left over from a previous owner. look up "crate games" and work on throwing treats into his crate and giving a verbal cue for him to go in there willingly. I bet that'll help a lot.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Plus_Infinity posted:

"crate games"

Awesome, that's a great idea. Thanks!

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
I honestly cannot give a proper advice in this, since I'm new to dog ownership and all this stuff, but I just wanted to say that Tycho is looks soooooo handsome.

I'm guessing he's a mix, right? What kind? :)

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Break Fast posted:

I honestly cannot give a proper advice in this, since I'm new to dog ownership and all this stuff, but I just wanted to say that Tycho is looks soooooo handsome.

I'm guessing he's a mix, right? What kind? :)

We had a bit of discussion a number of pages back, and honestly I have no idea what he's mixed with. I'm not well versed in dog breeds, though. Whatever he is, I like it.

We've got a wedding tonight and he's going in the dapper tie I posted before, hopefully I'll get some pictures of him living it up at the reception!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Golden-i posted:

We had a bit of discussion a number of pages back, and honestly I have no idea what he's mixed with. I'm not well versed in dog breeds, though. Whatever he is, I like it.

We've got a wedding tonight and he's going in the dapper tie I posted before, hopefully I'll get some pictures of him living it up at the reception!
My guess would be jack russell, with those thin legs and that muzzle.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yeah, gonna def. agree with the route change being the likely cause of the barking. Ace can be the same way... He's absolutely fine being with us leaving for work and being gone all day randomly, but if we're gone for 2 days or someone else feeds and walks Ace instead of us for a day, he howls.

I've never heard him howl myself, but apparently he'll do it for days if he knows he's being dogsat.

14 hour random workdays? No problem so long as at the end of the night I'm in my bed and he's in his bed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was browsing around shelters around my state yesterday, last night and came across this absurdly cute guy Pit/Corgi:

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet7666416.html

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

coyo7e posted:

Was browsing around shelters around my state yesterday, last night and came across this absurdly cute guy Pit/Corgi:

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet7666416.html

That dog is ridiculous and I want him :3:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
He's pretty cool. I have been looking for a dog again for a couple weeks, and just heard from C-Myste that they're expecting a litter in a couple weeks, so I'm holding off on adopting a dog until I know whether I have a potential corgi puppy. If not, there are a couple of dogs I'd adopt in a heartbeat, and one that I am on the fence about, even when compared to a puddle of tub like a corgi pup.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

My baby is about to turn 4. Where did the time go?

This is the day we brought him home, he was 12 weeks and 9 pounds.

And here he is, 4 years old, and 30 pounds.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I know this was a few months back but I was able to find a breeder that let me keep the tail. My girlfriend thinks that the docked tails look like amputee stumps and they gross her out so she said we had to have a tail (I think both ways look fine). Most of the breeders near me require you to put a deposit on them right after they are born (not exactly require but the whole litter is usually claimed within a week after birth either way, so put a deposit on one or get nothing).

I found one breeder that had a "championship litter" which she refused to dock the tail on, but she said she would let us keep the tail if we put a full price deposit on one.

Another breeder required half price instead of the usual $100.

The one I ended up going with just let me do $100 because she said "I'll be able to sell it either way, tail or no tail, but I won't refund the deposit up to the six-week mark like I would with a docked tail".

I got a tri-color Pembroke. I was initially not too into the tri thing but as I looked at more photos I started to like that look a lot more. I generally thought of corgis as brown and white, but the main thing that appeals to me is their shape and personality. The white, black, and brown combination can look really cool... I'm just hoping mine gets a decent amount of brown in (the brown doesn't show until they are 7 weeks or so, I have a picture of it at like 4 days old so you can't tell so far).

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

systran posted:

I know this was a few months back but I was able to find a breeder that let me keep the tail.

should've gotten a cardigan! :3:

tails are the best. i can't imagine my dog without a tail. he's so expressive with it!

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
I'm actually surprised how Guinness still has one judging by how often he tries to murder it!

Also, am I wrong to assume there are a lot more Pembrokes in states? It just seems that vast majority of videos on youtube taken in NA feature Pembrokes.

Break Fast fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 21, 2012

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Aannndd the breeder forgot I said to not cut the tail off and cut it off. Have to wait for a new litter now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Plus_Infinity posted:

tails are the best. i can't imagine my dog without a tail. he's so expressive with it!

You can see Butters' bob wiggle sometimes when he's excited, we call it his butt-knob :3:

Speaking of which I haven't posted the little shitlord in a while so here-

At 26 pounds we think he's fully grown now, and I'd say it's the perfect size for him.

Please ignore my very awkward-looking legs, it was the only way I could make him hold still for a picture.

He's also really dumb when it comes to cars, he tried to jump up to the front seat to get out with me and got himself stuck, despite my GF having already opened one of the rear doors :negative:

My lady's flying home for the whole month of December which would suck, except that means I get to hang out with Butters for a whole month :buddy: Maybe this is the holiday that my parents finally let me bring him into their house? Probably not.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
OMG adorable. I move into my new place in Chi at the end of next month which means the search will seriously begin after waiting for a year to be in a situation where I could manage raising a pup!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

BLERG, we just aren't getting any breaks. Car is indeed totaled. And Zeke has a wonderful UTI or some other issue right now. Lots of gunk coming out of his junk. UA that my buddy ran for me came back with both bacteria and crystals in his urine. He's able to void, so hopefully it's not a blockage. Vet appointment set for tomorrow evening.

I had a ton of problems with urinary crystals with Bailey back in the day, and we kept trying foods with lower protein content to get rid of the crystals... finally found a lovely brand of food that stopped the issue, and now we get this with Zeke. I'm thinking maybe the extra chews I've been giving him have bumped his protein consumption too high, which maybe is causing crystals or stones. He just gets so unbearably hyper on our herding off-weeks, tho. Guess time to switch to frozen pumpkin/banana Kongs instead of pizzles/yak milk chews.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!
Corra just turned 1 August 20th while we were on vacation this past week at a lake house.

Steak cake to celebrate :toot:

So sad

Streamers!

Her buddy Loki

Steak is better with dirt :downs:

Random pics of Corra on vacation:

I can't believe she is already one!!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I can't believe she's 1 either! Happy birthday!!!!!!

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

So guess what I just got? :haw:

Her name is Eevee and she is 4 years old.

Her previous owner lost her job and home so she couldn't care for her at all, so I volunteered to adopt her. I thought it would take longer for her to take to me, but she seemed to respond to me right away.

And pictures!

and here's one of her sleeping on me!

So far she's amazingly well behaved and I love her lots already

Radzin
Sep 3, 2006

forward forward high kick
my brothers 3 month old female corgi -
her name is minerva or minnie

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

LONG POST AHEAD:

Ok, after talking about getting a dog for a long while, my wife and I decided to start looking for one and we quickly found some breeders on some dog sites. I had done some research online and used the knowledge of previous pet ownership with my family but wish I had remembered that SA has a pet forum.

We got close to buying a pembroke from a breeder but once I found out that the breeder "just hadn't gotten around to registering the parents, but I ASSURE YOU THEY ARE 100% CORGI" we decided to look elsewhere. I don't mind dogs that aren't AKC registered but I'm not buying one from a "breeder". Also, the breeder said the dog had it's puppy shots that she bought from tractor supply and gave herself as well as suggesting we meet in a parking lot. That was the 2nd red flag that made us back out.

We found another breeder closer to home that had shot records and papers and seemed less dodgy. We went to the breeder's house and saw the parents in the backyard. This may have been a backyard breeder but from pictures and videos sent to us from the breeder, the pups all grew up in the house together and their house was on a lot of land. This seemed fine by me because almost every dog my family bought growing up were bought from breeders in a similar situation. All of those Golden Retrievers turned out great, sadly they are no longer with us (one due to a truck hitting her and the other two from old age. They lived to be 14 yrs old). So, now that I've read this thread and the puppy thread, I've realized that our new addition has come into our home a couple of weeks early, 6 weeks old to be exact. Every puppy my family has bought came home at 6 weeks so I thought nothing of this.

SO, the big issue isn't what we did wrong or how to do it better next time but how to do the best we can now for our new little puppy.

A little about Panda. She's almost 7 weeks. Very chill Pembroke and adjusting well to her new home. Very good about not barking too much. In fact, she doesn't make a peep all night which we were very surprised by. She only barked/whined the first 2 mornings and hasn't since. Since she's so young and wasn't keen on the crate, we decided to gate her in our kitchen/dining room and put her crate in the same area with the door open. She is now keen on sleeping in the crate with the door open and willingly goes inside.

The Concerns: Since we do live in an apartment (a spacious 2 bedroom) we are worried about taking her outside before she gets old enough and is properly protected against parvo. Due to this concern, we are focusing on paper training her. Once we get the OK from the Vet to let her outside into public spaces (we don't have a private yard), it's time to focus on housebreaking her. I know puppies sleep a lot but is it normal for Corgi's to have that "sad" look on their face all the time when they are resting? I just want to make sure she's not depressed or something. My wife comes home for lunch and plays with her and then is back again in 3 hours. The longest she's left alone is about 3-4 hours at a time.

The Problems: She's very good most of the time but I get up with her in the morning while the wife gets ready for work. During this time, she is very rambunctious like a puppy should be but I'm trying to break her from biting ankles and locking onto my slippers. I've tried to get her focused on toys instead but that only works for a minute or so. This morning, I decided to place her in a half-bathroom for 1-2mins and she seemed to be a lot calmer when she came out but 5 mins later, she was at it again. Of course, she's a puppy and I'm not expecting it to work right away but are these signs of improvement?

She also desperately wants to play with our cat Geoffrey. He's interested in her and wants to be near her but isn't sure about what to do when she bounds towards him with her little jaws open. I'm not at all worried about the cat getting violent or defensive, he just runs off and gets in a chair. I am worried that I'm encouraging the dog to herd the cat. Any experience with this?

Again, sorry for the long post. I don't pretend to know everything about proper dog purchasing but went with my experience. In hindsight, I wish I had asked the breeder more questions. Also, apologies if any of these questions have been answered throughout the thread. I did read the new puppy thread OP and got some great advice.

Here's a pic of Panda.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Baby bear :3: I can't comment on everything but Corgis looking bummed out when they're laying down/resting is totally normal. Butters was the same way as a puppy and still gets that look sometimes when he flops down.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

C-Euro posted:

Baby bear :3: I can't comment on everything but Corgis looking bummed out when they're laying down/resting is totally normal. Butters was the same way as a puppy and still gets that look sometimes when he flops down.

Yeah, Corwin looked very, very Emo until he was over a year old. Don't worry about that. :)

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

I'm no expert, but I know they learn bite control (wrong word) from like 8-12 weeks from littermates. You could try a spray bottle, thats what we did for Gizmo barking. Our breeder gave us that advice.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

gogogiraffes posted:

I'm no expert, but I know they learn bite control (wrong word) from like 8-12 weeks from littermates. You could try a spray bottle, thats what we did for Gizmo barking. Our breeder gave us that advice.

The best thing to do is make a very shrill noise, like another puppy would do (i.e. YELP, and really get his attention with it!) then cease play (or movement) immediately. He will learn to understand that he's crossed a line. That's how he'd learn in his litter.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Yeah, the shrill noise thing works. For Nova, we had to go in stages. At first, we did it with all teeth, but that wasn't working. So we moved to painful bites or over-aroused play would get a "yelp" and stop. Then when she wasn't doing that anymore, we moved on to anything hard-mouthed. Then any teeth at all.

Now, she still mouths when she gets really, really over-excited, but it's extremely soft-mouthed. I'm currently working her out of that, especially with strangers. And she's a a year and a half old.

Goyder
Jan 20, 2007

Daddy! Daddy! Are you sure this is right?
Here are some pictures of my little puppy - Gorgi.

He's a really cool little dude. He's happy to chill but also goes from 0 to MAXIMUM DERP as well.

He lives outside when I'm not at home and I was at first worried that he wouldn't take to being outside - but with some little tricks he loves exploring the huge backyard and when he's not exploring, digging or eating he's sleeping.

Seconds later that toy rabbit was completly destroyed.

Derp time over. Sleep time now.

Happy puppy is happy.

He sleeps like this sometimes. I dont know why.

He's not too good at hide and seek yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Goyder posted:

He's not too good at hide and seek yet.

That tail is awesome. How old is he?

• Locked thread