Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

StickyNavels posted:

I see. Are they allergic to money or something?

Sadly, there may be some economic truth behind their policy. The assumption is that people don't like old movies, which has been a problem since, well, forever (hence copyright dates being in Roman numerals so that stupid people can't work them out.) And it costs money to do an HD transfer and go through all the clearances to anyone who's getting residuals, so there's a legit question as to whether a given Blu-Ray release will actually earn a profit.

I think it's the audience that needs to change. I can see how genuinely old movies can be hard to access because they're so different, but I legitimately cannot understand anyone not wanting to watch a movie because it was made in, say, 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Limiting based on when it was made is something either mentally disabled or stupid people do. Usually the latter.

By the way, details are out on Lawrence of Arabia. The gift set includes more extras including a newly reconstructed deleted scene and the soundtrack on CD. Also has a genuine 70mm frame along with a hardcover book.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Snatched up Adventures in Babysitting and Grosse Pointe Blank yesterday. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't bother to get any interviews or even a commentary for them, especially since they're both marketed as "Anniversary" editions. Even so, I'm just so happy to be able to upgrade from their old non-anamorphic dvds.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Anyone know what the difference is between the regular Jaws bluray and the Best Buy exclusive one? Bestbuy.com doesn't have any info and I remember the MI4 Best Buy disc was different than the regular one.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Speaking of Jaws, the preorder dropped down to $17.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=evdaisafi-20

robix smash posted:

Anyone know what the difference is between the regular Jaws bluray and the Best Buy exclusive one? Bestbuy.com doesn't have any info and I remember the MI4 Best Buy disc was different than the regular one.

As far as I can tell, the Best Buy one is a digibook.

No idea if the disc is different or not.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 10, 2012

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What is the consensus on Koyaanisqatsi blu ray? It appears there are only the German and Australian versions released so far, and I'm willing to pay the $30 for the Australia one, I just want to be sure it's a good transfer. Also, it will play on a PS3, correct?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

yoohoo posted:

What is the consensus on Koyaanisqatsi blu ray? It appears there are only the German and Australian versions released so far, and I'm willing to pay the $30 for the Australia one, I just want to be sure it's a good transfer. Also, it will play on a PS3, correct?

Criterion is rumored to be working on it, so you may want to wait.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BFI announced dual format editions of Jacques Tati's Mon Oncle and Jour de Fete for Oct 22.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9290

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 10, 2012

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Hibernator posted:

Snatched up Adventures in Babysitting and Grosse Pointe Blank yesterday. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't bother to get any interviews or even a commentary for them, especially since they're both marketed as "Anniversary" editions. Even so, I'm just so happy to be able to upgrade from their old non-anamorphic dvds.

Posts like this are why I check this thread. Thanks! Not only have I been waiting forever for Grosse Pointe Blank but about 4 other movies I want were linked to it on Amazon. Awesome.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion is rumored to be working on it, so you may want to wait.

That makes me so happy :dance:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Welp, that's strange. The Ice Storm was just released over in Germany. I wonder if an American Criterion release is on the way?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
EDIT: Nevermind, you meant Bluray.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Just got back from Costco. They have the Digibook versions of Malcolm X, Dirty Harry, JFK, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for 10.99 each.

Amazon prices:
Malcolm X - 26.95
Dirty Harry - 19.93
JFK - 19.89
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 23.99

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

StickyNavels posted:

I sort of assumed all of Scorsese's films had seen Blu-Ray releases, but I can't find Bringing out the Dead anywhere. Is there a Blu-Ray of it? Will there ever be?
Nope, and who knows when; if there's a rhyme or reason to which less-popular/non-famous ones get blurayified, I'd like to know, too. The Color of Money of all things just got a bluray, but there are so many great ones left (in the approximate order I'd like to have them): The Age of Innocence, BotD, The King of Comedy, After Hours, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Kundun, Who's that Knocking, Boxcar Bertha, a bunch of documentaries, and probably other things.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Royal Tenenbaums Criterion preorder dropped down to $19.99 on Amazon

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's also $19.99 at Best Buy for those of you who want it in your hands tomorrow.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's also $19.99 at Best Buy for those of you who want it in your hands tomorrow.

Jesus christ this month and the next are getting too goddamn expensive. I didn't even know this was coming out.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Mill Creek just announced that That 70's Show: Season 2 is set for October 16.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Yesterday I went to Best Buy hoping to grab a copy of the Jaws digibook, only to find that every single copy, digibook or not, was gone. Turns out each store only received a small handful, and it's completely sold out on Best Buy's website.

Is there any chance at all that they'll restock any time soon, or am I just completely SOL?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Arrow Films has several of their cult horror movie releases on sale for £7.99, including The Beyond, Deep Red and more. You know, if you're into that.

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.php?category_id=21

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'm not sure if this is only in Canada, or if Best Buy is doing this in the US as well, but Best Buy is having a trade-in sale where they will give you $5 off select Blu-Rays if you trade in any DVD. I upgraded Anchorman and Predator today!

Edit: I just realized this ended today.

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 17, 2012

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Jay Dub posted:

Yesterday I went to Best Buy hoping to grab a copy of the Jaws digibook, only to find that every single copy, digibook or not, was gone. Turns out each store only received a small handful, and it's completely sold out on Best Buy's website.

Is there any chance at all that they'll restock any time soon, or am I just completely SOL?

I didn't fully appreciate your post. I went to BB tonight and found that they were out of the special edition and had few regular copies left. There was one of those little paper slips attached to the empty rack, a correction slip for like when they advertise the wrong price. But in this case, it was to inform the consumer that each store was given TWO copies.

TWO. MOTHERFUCKING. COPIES.

I can't imagine why BB is on the brink of going out of business.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I didn't fully appreciate your post. I went to BB tonight and found that they were out of the special edition and had few regular copies left. There was one of those little paper slips attached to the empty rack, a correction slip for like when they advertise the wrong price. But in this case, it was to inform the consumer that each store was given TWO copies.

TWO. MOTHERFUCKING. COPIES.

I can't imagine why BB is on the brink of going out of business.

Yeah, for a popular catalog title like loving JAWS, to only do such a limited run is just a bald-faced attempt at creating a rare, overpriced DVD.

Keep checking Best Buy's website, though. If they restock tomorrow, they'll have it listed online. I found one listed at the BB in the next town over, so this morning I arranged for an in-store pickup (your only option if you order online). Otherwise, just keep going back and looking.

I hate that I've become this determined to get one of these drat things, but there's absolutely no reason for such a limited run.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Jay Dub posted:

I hate that I've become this determined to get one of these drat things, but there's absolutely no reason for such a limited run.

Sure there is! Best Buy hates making money! And loves pissing off their customers!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Thank god I decided to grab it when I went in to get the Royal Tenenbaums. I had totally forgotten it was coming out, went over and looked at the digibook and the regular edition. I couldn't see any difference between them except for the booklet part and the ultraviolet copy that came with the digibook. Almost bought the normal but they were already running low on the digibook and the "must have this poo poo" part of my brain kicked in.

We had a lot more than 2 copies at our BB though. That sounds like a load of poo poo excuse.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does this Best Buy edition include anything different in terms of content or is it just a in a different case?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

ApexAftermath posted:

We had a lot more than 2 copies at our BB though. That sounds like a load of poo poo excuse.
I saw 3 copies when I bought mine. I honestly have a little bit of buyer's remorse about it. The digibook isn't really worth the extra $7. It's also incredibly annoying that they just ported over some of the features from the DVD, especially the photo archives which are all like 150x200px jpegs. The photo archives are probably the most interesting thing on the Close Encounters set aside from the film itself.

CPL593H posted:

Does this Best Buy edition include anything different in terms of content or is it just a in a different case?
Same discs, just comes with a thicker case with a booklet attached to the middle. I'll attach some pictures in a minute.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 17, 2012

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

robix smash posted:

I honestly have a little bit of buyer's remorse about it. The digibook isn't really worth the extra $7.

Same here. We do get an Ultraviolet copy of the film that I don't believe is in the other set, but other than that I believe you listed all the differences. It was a bit stupid to pay more for hardly anything but oh well it looks nice.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

ApexAftermath posted:

Same here. We do get an Ultraviolet copy of the film that I don't believe is in the other set, but other than that I believe you listed all the differences. It was a bit stupid to pay more for hardly anything but oh well it looks nice.
And I'll probably never even redeem the Ultraviolet copy to be honest.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

robix smash posted:

And I'll probably never even redeem the Ultraviolet copy to be honest.

Same here. The problem with digital copies/ultraviolet stuff is that they're never compatible unless you have Apple poo poo(or whatever plays protected windows media files...which the Zune can't even do last I checked). I have an android phone, and even if the ultraviolet stuff works with it I am assuming it will refuse to play because my phone is rooted. That's why digital copy is poo poo unless you own an iStatus device.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Angel Heart just dropped down to $4.99 on Amazon. I've never heard of it before but it has raving overall reviews.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sporadic posted:

Angel Heart just dropped down to $4.99 on Amazon. I've never heard of it before but it has raving overall reviews.

Not a great film, but it does have the novelty of pulling off a good twist before another more famous film did almost the exact same twist

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magical Mystery Tour - Oct. 9
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Magical-Mystery-Tour-Blu-ray/53311/

According to a BBFC listing, it has a commentary by Paul McCartney.

Also, Let It Be is a definite for 2013. According to this, Michael Lindsay-Hogg confirms it'll be a 2-disc set with the fully restored film, a new documentary, and a disc full of outtakes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Magical Mystery Tour - Oct. 9
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Magical-Mystery-Tour-Blu-ray/53311/

According to a BBFC listing, it has a commentary by Paul McCartney.

Also, Let It Be is a definite for 2013. According to this, Michael Lindsay-Hogg confirms it'll be a 2-disc set with the fully restored film, a new documentary, and a disc full of outtakes.

Not to piss on anyone's parade, but this exact thing was promised a few years ago and at the last minute someone pulled the plug on it. If you'll notice, the date on that article is not all that recent. I'd be delighted if this was true, but I'll only believe it when I see it. I'll probably pick up MMT because that one's just too whacky to pass up and I haven't seen it in over ten years.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Not a great film, but it does have the novelty of pulling off a good twist before another more famous film did almost the exact same twist

Yeah, I actually think it is a pretty fun film. It doesn't hurt that Lisa Bonet is gorgeous. What is the film that used the same twist? I've got a couple in mind and I'm interested if it lines up.

Also, Scream Factory announced Death Valley on blu. I've never seen it, anyone have any thoughts?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It looks like the upcoming Indiana Jones boxset will be region-free, so you can save a few bucks by ordering from Amazon.co.uk.

It's not a huge steal like some of the other stuff on the UK site, but you can save 10-15 bucks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

foodfight posted:

Yeah, I actually think it is a pretty fun film. It doesn't hurt that Lisa Bonet is gorgeous. What is the film that used the same twist? I've got a couple in mind and I'm interested if it lines up.

Also, Scream Factory announced Death Valley on blu. I've never seen it, anyone have any thoughts?

Fight Club... I'm not sure how many other "I was the monster all along!" movies there are, I'm drawing a blank

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Steve Yun posted:

Fight Club... I'm not sure how many other "I was the monster all along!" movies there are, I'm drawing a blank

Hide and Seek with Robert DeNiro comes to mind.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I was gonna say Oldboy, what with the whole having sex with your daughter thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh hey, two new boxsets coming from Olive Films.

quote:

The Otto Preminger Collection (3BD set)

1. Hurry Sundown (1967)
2. Skidoo (1968)
3. Such Good Friends (1971)

Film Noir Collection Vol. 1 (4BD set)

1. Union Station (1950)
2. Appointment With Danger (1951)
3. Dark City (1950)
4. Rope of Sand (1949)

• Locked thread