Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Question I'm going to Mexico this weekend and I called Sprint to Unlock my phone. They said I just have to plug it in, back it up, and restore it. Now My phone is a 4S thats Jailbroken using the latest jailbreak. Whats going to happen when I back it up and restore it. Am I going to lose the jailbreak when I back up and restore my phone. What exactly is gonna happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Aggro posted:

So, I just got an iPad after months of debating whether the purchase would be worthwhile. Has anyone compiled a list of Jailbreak apps that I absolutely need to get? I have no idea what to do with this thing.

Can't live without FolderEnhancer/Gridlock. Put as many icons in folders as you want, folders in folders, have space between icons. It's nice.

WiCarrier is a nice little tweak - changes your carrier name (just "iPad" on a WiFi model) to the name of whatever WiFi network you're connected to. Tap the network name to reveal your IP address.

Blimpkin posted:

SBSettings - Duh

As an activator-hater (You have hosed with my home button for the last time, Ryan Petrich!) I must recommend NCSettings over SBSettings. Since it is only accessible via the Notification Center, it doesn't force the installation of Activator. It doesn't do a few things SBS does, but I have learned to live without them.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Ezrem posted:

Can't live without FolderEnhancer/Gridlock. Put as many icons in folders as you want, folders in folders, have space between icons. It's nice.

WiCarrier is a nice little tweak - changes your carrier name (just "iPad" on a WiFi model) to the name of whatever WiFi network you're connected to. Tap the network name to reveal your IP address.

As an activator-hater (You have hosed with my home button for the last time, Ryan Petrich!) I must recommend NCSettings over SBSettings. Since it is only accessible via the Notification Center, it doesn't force the installation of Activator. It doesn't do a few things SBS does, but I have learned to live without them.

I recently programmed Activator to set a double tap of the status bar to toggle rotation on my iPhone. I like activator, but I know nothing else.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Blimpkin posted:

I recently programmed Activator to set a double tap of the status bar to toggle rotation on my iPhone. I like activator, but I know nothing else.

I like activator as a concept. It just has had too many bugs over the years that lead to weirdness like an unresponsive home button. 99% of the time uninstalling Activator cured that for me. Problem was I couldn't live without SBSettings...so I just had to deal with sometimes having to hit the home button 3 times to register a single press. Once I saw NCsettings, I switched and haven't looked back.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The tweak that allowed me to finally give away my Touchpad and use the Ipad exclusively was Swipeselection. I like editing text from a tablet and cursor control makes is so much easier. I can never touch exactly where I want the cursor to go.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Right now I'll settle for a Clock. After Googling, I've realized that the question has been brought up by every single iPad owner ever. Still, I'm surprised that there isn't a Cydia app with the same functionality as Clock.app.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Aggro posted:

Right now I'll settle for a Clock. After Googling, I've realized that the question has been brought up by every single iPad owner ever. Still, I'm surprised that there isn't a Cydia app with the same functionality as Clock.app.

If you're on 5.0.x, look for Belfry in Cydia.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Question I'm going to Mexico this weekend and I called Sprint to Unlock my phone. They said I just have to plug it in, back it up, and restore it. Now My phone is a 4S thats Jailbroken using the latest jailbreak. Whats going to happen when I back it up and restore it. Am I going to lose the jailbreak when I back up and restore my phone. What exactly is gonna happen?

They always say you need to restore your iPhone to get unlocked, but in my experience (going way back to getting my 3G unlocked in 2008) it's never been a requirement. Just plug it into iTunes.

AustinJ
Jul 12, 2006

You can't take the sky from me!

craig588 posted:

The tweak that allowed me to finally give away my Touchpad and use the Ipad exclusively was Swipeselection. I like editing text from a tablet and cursor control makes is so much easier. I can never touch exactly where I want the cursor to go.

I love SwipeSelection, too, it's infinitely easier to position the cursor where I want it. That said, I'm really having trouble with the cursor jumping around when I type too fast with two fingers. I'm guessing it is seeing one finger on the right side of the keyboard, then suddenly that one is gone and there's a finger on the left side, and it assumed I swiped left. I find myself jumping back into the middle of a previous word as I'm typing so often, that I'm honestly not sure it saves me any time or grief...

Are there any other similar options out there, but which require a tiny bit more deliberate action to scroll? Perhaps requiring a two-finger swipe? or swiping on the text-entry area rather than the keyboard?

I saw one called Swipe Shift Carat or something, but it looks like it only goes one character at a time, so it would require repeated swipes to move the cursor very far, which seems annoying.

Edit: Sounds like the author is turning down the sensitivity a bit in the next release, so maybe that will help.

AustinJ fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 17, 2012

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Aggro posted:

Not sure if you know this or not, but iOS6 has a clock on iPad.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

AustinJ posted:

I saw one called Swipe Shift Carat or something, but it looks like it only goes one character at a time, so it would require repeated swipes to move the cursor very far, which seems annoying.

It has a setting that the longer you hold in a direction the faster it scrolls. I was actually using it for quite a while without any complaints until I sent an AppInfo list of my AppStore installs not my Cydia installs before I restored/re-jailbroke and lost it. Couldn't remember the name but found SwipeSelection instead so have been using that.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

dexter6 posted:

Not sure if you know this or not, but iOS6 has a clock on iPad.

There's a bunch of really good clocks on the Appstore as well like Nightstand. Actually there's probably hundreds on there. I don't know why this is something you need to jailbreak for.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

got dat wmd posted:

There's a bunch of really good clocks on the Appstore as well like Nightstand. Actually there's probably hundreds on there. I don't know why this is something you need to jailbreak for.

Perhaps it's because we want alarms that work without having the app open? All of the app store alarm clock apps I've tried for iOS are of limited utility, due to this restriction. I suppose a hardware dock that automatically opens its own app when you dock the iDevice would sort of work...but it's also a lot more expensive than the free clock app you get with an iPhone.

If there are new alarm clocks in the app store that work without them open, please educate us all.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Ezrem posted:

Perhaps it's because we want alarms that work without having the app open? All of the app store alarm clock apps I've tried for iOS are of limited utility, due to this restriction. I suppose a hardware dock that automatically opens its own app when you dock the iDevice would sort of work...but it's also a lot more expensive than the free clock app you get with an iPhone.

If there are new alarm clocks in the app store that work without them open, please educate us all.

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/alarm-clock-apps-for-the-ipad

that's just a brief search. I'm sure there are plenty more.

AustinJ
Jul 12, 2006

You can't take the sky from me!

Klowns posted:

It has a setting that the longer you hold in a direction the faster it scrolls. I was actually using it for quite a while without any complaints until I sent an AppInfo list of my AppStore installs not my Cydia installs before I restored/re-jailbroke and lost it. Couldn't remember the name but found SwipeSelection instead so have been using that.

Thank you! I guess I really should have tried it before dismissing it. It works exactly how I wanted.

Jumpman16
Dec 1, 2002

unironic pokémon obsession

Jumpman16 posted:

While on the subject of Google Voice (sup fellow pokemon avatar buddy), I would like to know if there's a way to ensure that SMS tones that you've downloaded through Cydia and enabled through Winterboard actually play when people text you in Google Voice, and that you don't just hear Tri-tone every time.

I do know that the given text sounds are "replaced" the stock name options like Chime and Glass within Settings > Sounds > Text Tone, and that you typically have select one of these in order to hear your new text sound when you receive a text. But short of changing each individual contact's sound (within GV, which I haven't tried since last my latest JB last month), is there something easy/obvious thing I'm missing about why the SMS Tones I download don't play when people text me?

By easy/obivous, I do also kind of mean "free", since as awesome as those GV Extensions you posted seem to be, I don't think it's unreasonable/chea of me to want to change something as simple as text sounds (this is the main reason I started JBing in the first place last summer). Also please feel free to point me to the right resource for this, as I have searched quite a bit for this both itt and through google but come up short. Thanks.

Hate to quote myself but I'm still having issues with this. Anyone else use a non-stock SMS sound with GV and have/know of a similar issue?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
GV uses a notification sound. If they don't specify what it is it defaults to tri-tone.

abuimak
Sep 7, 2006
Hi,

I have an Iphone 4s that is stuck in recovery mode, and I've tried all kinds of crazy programs, ifaith, redn0w, tinyumbrella, to fix this but it is not working. Also, it doesn't seem to boot far enough for programs like iphone explorer to work.

Is there anyway to grab the photos off the iphone in Dfu or Recovery mode? All I really care about is my pictures.

Icloud is turned on but not photo stream.

Thanks

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

abuimak posted:

Hi,

I have an Iphone 4s that is stuck in recovery mode, and I've tried all kinds of crazy programs, ifaith, redn0w, tinyumbrella, to fix this but it is not working. Also, it doesn't seem to boot far enough for programs like iphone explorer to work.

Is there anyway to grab the photos off the iphone in Dfu or Recovery mode? All I really care about is my pictures.

Icloud is turned on but not photo stream.

Thanks
Were you making local backups? You might be able to extract your photos from them using something like http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

Was your phone jailbroken? http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/07/irecovery-iphone-recovery-mode-loop-restart/ Is a more technical way to try to exit recovery mode, but I think the method may be the same as those other automated programs you tried already.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone else run into the phone locking up when trying to delete apps? I can get them to juggle but the moment I try to delete it just locks than reboots.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

Anyone else run into the phone locking up when trying to delete apps? I can get them to juggle but the moment I try to delete it just locks than reboots.

Nope, but taking a stab, are you trying to uninstall something Cydia installed? Some tweaks allow uninstalling outside of Cydia, but it's probably still best to use Cydia to do it.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

So I wanted to put some custom ringtones on my iPhone, but the only way that I thought you could was through iTunes. Well my stupid iTunes won't show a ringtone selection anywhere.

If anyone knows of a way to do it without the use of jailbreaking my phone, please tell me!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Mercedes posted:

So I wanted to put some custom ringtones on my iPhone, but the only way that I thought you could was through iTunes. Well my stupid iTunes won't show a ringtone selection anywhere.

If anyone knows of a way to do it without the use of jailbreaking my phone, please tell me!

Blimpkin posted:

I've been using UnlimTones. It's a cydia app that has a pretty expansive library and doesn't replace stock sounds, they go in as individual items. It's a complementary app to Audiko.net which I used for years to make ringtones and now I barely need the site anymore.

Edit: in hindsight I answered a question that is not quite what you asked.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mercedes posted:

Since this is the jailbreak thread you might want to ask in the regular iPhone thread or iTunes thread for more details, but in short drag a m4a ringtone from audiko.net or whatever (30s or something max) into iTunes, set it to sync ringtones, and off you go.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
NVM, figured it out

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 21, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

craig588 posted:

Nope, but taking a stab, are you trying to uninstall something Cydia installed? Some tweaks allow uninstalling outside of Cydia, but it's probably still best to use Cydia to do it.

Just regular apps. I have a feeling it might be Winterboard loving with things so I'll do some tests. Not a huge deal as I can just go in via iFunBox and delete them myself.

Jumpman16
Dec 1, 2002

unironic pokémon obsession

MickRaider posted:

GV uses a notification sound. If they don't specify what it is it defaults to tri-tone.

Thanks, but could you be a bit more specific? The app itself doesn't let you specify a notification sound and I've never been able to find where to set it if it does actually exist.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

[I'M A GIANT HOMOPHOBE

Mercedes posted:

I'm fairly sure ifunbox will let you add ringtones on a non jailbroken phone. Just click on the ringtone section on the left hand side and drag and drop the .m4r file to the panel on the right hand side.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mercedes posted:

If you can follow these instructions, you can make your own iPhone ringtones that are under 30 seconds long:

http://mashable.com/2010/08/28/how-to-make-iphone-ringtones/

No jailbreak necessary!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
my "phone" icon is a white box. Usually a respring fixes this but I have resprung like 4 times, and done a hard reboot. Still a white box.

Anyone ever encountered this? How do I fix it?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Feenix posted:

my "phone" icon is a white box. Usually a respring fixes this but I have resprung like 4 times, and done a hard reboot. Still a white box.

Anyone ever encountered this? How do I fix it?

Try moving it around with the hold, then drag. This fixed my phone icon in my dock when resprings would not, and lasts until you device resprings itself for whatever reason.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Mercedes posted:

Any answer you get that isn't "audiko.net" is wrong.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I was just granted the ability to have my iPhone 4 unlocked from AT&T and am about to complete the process via iTunes. Is there anything that I need to be aware of before I connect to iTunes (ie, is this going to gently caress up my Jailbreak?)?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Try moving it around with the hold, then drag. This fixed my phone icon in my dock when resprings would not, and lasts until you device resprings itself for whatever reason.

Thanks for the advice. That didn't work either. I'm probably just stuck with a white icon until I go back to stock when I get the 5.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I was just granted the ability to have my iPhone 4 unlocked from AT&T and am about to complete the process via iTunes. Is there anything that I need to be aware of before I connect to iTunes (ie, is this going to gently caress up my Jailbreak?)?
Well, normally yes, it would since the 'normal' unlock process starts with a blank restore of the phone to get it back in to "check for activation mode". However, you can use redsn0w's "deactivate" option to skip the restore and just go straight to the unlock.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/how-to-unlock-att-iphone-and-maintain-untethered-jailbreak/

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Nill posted:

Well, normally yes, it would since the 'normal' unlock process starts with a blank restore of the phone to get it back in to "check for activation mode". However, you can use redsn0w's "deactivate" option to skip the restore and just go straight to the unlock.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/how-to-unlock-att-iphone-and-maintain-untethered-jailbreak/

Thanks for this. I ran it but when iTunes came up, I didn't get that "Congratulations...' message. I am not sure if it worked or not, but I kept my Jailbreak!

edit: confirmed with AT&T that it worked, thanks again. Should help out when I sell it and get the new model.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 23, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Something is very, very wrong with my phone now I think. I removed (in cydia) PDANet. (because I have legit tethering now.)

Upon leaving Cydia back to the springboard I had the white icons yadda yadda.

Resprung, and now Messages and Safari are missing.

Not White Icons. MISSING. (Except I can spotlight search > use them.)

What the gently caress. Resprings, Reboots. Nothing works.

Like the 8th random reboot fixed it. I'd still love to know what was up if anyone has any insight as to how to fix it easier, but my problem is no longer an urgent one. Disregard. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 23, 2012

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

I'd still love to know what was up if anyone has any insight as to how to fix it easier, but my problem is no longer an urgent one

Try adding http://cydia.xenomorph.net/

Then install "Rebuild Icons"

It's worked well for me.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
BiteSMS is on sale for only $4 for a very limited time.

It's a great buy at $9, but at $4, there's really no reason not to purchase it. It's free to use otherwise, as it's ad supported, but I'm pretty tired of it pulling ads over the cellular network so I'm buying the hell out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alted2
May 3, 2003

Feenix posted:

Thanks for the advice. That didn't work either. I'm probably just stuck with a white icon until I go back to stock when I get the 5.

Try installing something in Cydia that requires a respring. That usually fixes the white icon issue for me.

• Locked thread