Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

It felt a bit :filez: to have done so, but I snapped a few pictures of the slides while I was waiting. I'll edit this post and put 'em in, once they download.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Haha, I loved these. I got a couple too, and they're some of the few you didn't post:

Thanks for posting those. My theater had the video completely hosed up for some reason -- the aspect ratio was way off (the height of the screen was something like half of what it should have been), and any attempt to fix it broke the video completely. As a result I never actually got to see the slides.

EDIT: In retrospect, the broken aspect ratio probably made Welcome Back, Norman even more depressing/hilarious, so at least it wasn't all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
What was even the point of Welcome Back Norman?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

I find Joel's voice really annoying so I try to avoid those as much as possible, they really aren't my thing. At one point I thought I had seen this movie but then I realized I was confusing Torgo and Tor Johnson. I still expected a large bald monster to be involved in this movie until basically the end.

Count me in as a non-Joel fan who had never seen this movie before tonight, and god drat I couldn't stop laughing the entire time. I'd go back to watch the original but at this point why bother?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

AndyP posted:

Because...because...NORMAN!

But seriously, if there were any goons in Long Beach that were bugged by some jerk coughing loudly, I apologize. I came down with a fit halfway through the show.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

AndyP posted:

My party showed up about two minutes late so we missed the very beginning of Welcome Back Norman. I felt totally lost for the first few minutes of it I saw until I realized that the entire thing is just a plotless nihilistic horrorshow.

Sure was educational, though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

AndyP posted:

Seeing what else could go wrong, I imagine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I laughed my rear end off every time Norman's catchphrase was uttered. Especially when Mike, Bill and Kevin made everyone across America do it.

"Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :doh: "

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I laughed my rear end off every time Norman's catchphrase was uttered. Especially when Mike, Bill and Kevin made everyone across America do it.

"Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :doh: "

I haven't heard an entire theater groan like that since the ending to The Last Exorcism.

:downsrim:

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Wiley360 posted:

Were you and your friends sitting in the very front row? That was a great riff, I had to fight back the urge to howl with laughter many times, I forgot how god awful that movie was.

I got there later than I wanted to because a freak storm on Highway 97 slowed me down. :\

No I was 3 from the top on the right. Yeah that storm was crazy. That stinks because the early Movie Facts scrolling things were hilarious.

edit: Which I now realize were posted above.

tagelthebagel fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 17, 2012

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
That show was amazing, and I'm still in shock that there was even more of Manos than we knew existed. The movie trivia before the show was just perfect.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Dr_Strangelove posted:

What in the drat hell was that short supposed to be? :confused:

This is an excellent question. It's about ten minutes of a guy trying to get out of an airport parking lot. No moral, no instruction, no entertainment value, not even a plot or characters, just a mundane, annoying experience put on screen.

Great show, though. The Michael Vick line was great dark humor.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

MisterBibs posted:

It felt a bit :filez: to have done so, but I snapped a few pictures of the slides while I was waiting. I'll edit this post and put 'em in, once they download.

EDIT: Here they are. Sorry for the delay, the originals were too big.

Ooh, thanks! We got to our seats right at 7:59, so I missed these.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Liar Lyre posted:

No bad audience members in Pittsburgh. Well, except for maybe myself. I like to laugh so I might have been too loud and when it's real good I jerk my whole body back. Does this make me a bad man? :ohdear:

I saw it in Pittsburgh too, the cinema off McKnight rd.
The normal offramp was under construction, so we had to take this really windy detour to get there - seemed pretty fitting for a Manos experience!

I laughed at times so hard my sides hurt, it was my very first Rifftrax ever and just a fantastic experience all around.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

AndyP posted:

It was a "funny" short that was used as filler on Showtime WAAAAY back in the day. Like how the Mr. Bean shorts were used as filler on HBO back in the day... Except not funny.

Say it together now: "Uggggghhhh..."

There was only one other person in Little Rock in a Restoration Team shirt, and the theater was pretty drat packed. The next screening will probably sell out.

The variety of people was pretty impressive, there were about 40% regular nerds, 20% super goony nerds, 30% middle aged to older people, and 10% attractive younger people who I'm sure were there by mistake.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 17, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

RagingBoner posted:

It was a "funny" short that was used as filler on Showtime WAAAAY back in the day. Like how the Mr. Bean shorts were used as filler on HBO back in the day... Except not funny.
Someone on G+ found it. It's actually more depressing without the riffs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdUckp2EnZ8

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My hopes are that when they didn't show a restored version, and the announcement that they weren't going to put out a DVD of the show, was that they were going to be a special feature on one of the restored Manos disks. However, I know the guy who is making Manos 2 is apparently restoring Manos as well as Ben Solo, and doesn't like Ben Solo for some reason. So I hope this is not the case, as I don't want to give the Manos 2 guy any money.

But I want this Rifftrax even if it's one of the few MST3Ks I have on DVD.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It would be a serious gaffe to support the Manos 2 guy over Ben. Ben is a cool dude while the Manos 2 guy has come across as nothing but a self-important scumbag. I would consider not supporting Rifftrax anymore if they did something that stupid, which is why I hope that's not exactly what they're doing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ben has said that they've been nothing but awesome to him, but they didn't use his restoration because it's still being worked on. So I don't think they have anything against him. I just hope they're trying to stay nuetral on both releases.

However,if they did go on a special feature on either's DVD/Bluray, it would be awkward. Because then Ben would have something from Manos 2 on his disks, or it would be on the Manos 2 guy's thing, and I would have to not purchase it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

IUG posted:

Ben has said that they've been nothing but awesome to him, but they didn't use his restoration because it's still being worked on. So I don't think they have anything against him. I just hope they're trying to stay nuetral on both releases.

However,if they did go on a special feature on either's DVD/Bluray, it would be awkward. Because then Ben would have something from Manos 2 on his disks, or it would be on the Manos 2 guy's thing, and I would have to not purchase it.

A Rifftrax special feature on Ben's restoration wouldn't have to be the live show -- just have them on as a brand new riffing audio commentary, therefore bypassing any connection to Manos 2.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ballz posted:

A Rifftrax special feature on Ben's restoration wouldn't have to be the live show -- just have them on as a brand new riffing audio commentary, therefore bypassing any connection to Manos 2.

I'd be fine with this. That's pretty much what they used to (:sigh:) give out after the live shows. They would give out one of the shorts pre-recorded with mostly the same jokes. If they re-recorded the jokes from the Live show and had that as a track for Ben's release I would be more than okay with that.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Oh god I looked it up.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Duo TCR posted:

Oh god I looked it up.

I did too. gently caress that guy! Hope the power glove wasn't involved. :smith:

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

MrMidnight posted:

I did too. gently caress that guy! Hope the power glove wasn't involved. :smith:

Ooooohh...that brings a terrible image to the brain.

edit: "He touched my breast!" thought I would throw that in there too.

tagelthebagel fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 17, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Duo TCR posted:

Oh god I looked it up.

Am I missing something? There's nothing bad listed anywhere.

Also, I had no idea Jenny Lewis (an absolutely amazing musician (check out Rilo Kiley - "The Moneymaker")) was once an actress in bad 80's movies.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Am I missing something? There's nothing bad listed anywhere.

Also, I had no idea Jenny Lewis (an absolutely amazing musician (check out Rilo Kiley - "The Moneymaker")) was once an actress in bad 80's movies.

Careful if you dig deeper you might get burnt by the molten lava.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Nothing bad aside from "Sexual Conduct Against Child Two Or More Acts/Child < 11," which, really, let he who is without sin cast the first stone am I right?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bonaventure posted:

Nothing bad aside from "Sexual Conduct Against Child Two Or More Acts/Child < 11," which, really, let he who is without sin cast the first stone am I right?

Well that wasn't on his wiki page. :staredog:

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
You were probably looking up the wrong dude.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0899092/

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bonaventure posted:

You were probably looking up the wrong dude.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0899092/

Yep. Looked at Luke Edwards, not "Lucas" (Jacky Vinson).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Was there anything much after the Torgo timer? I had to leave for work during the countdown.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Rochallor posted:

Was there anything much after the Torgo timer? I had to leave for work during the countdown.

A minute or so of awful footage from Manos 2. You left at the best possible time, since the Torgo timer was the last funny thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

A minute or so of awful footage from Manos 2. You left at the best possible time, since the Torgo timer was the last funny thing.

Manos 2 looks like another campy film that doesn't understand a single thing that makes camp films interesting while at the same time completely abandoning any relation to the first film. So yeah, leaving before that footage was brilliant.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

Manos 2 looks like another campy film that doesn't understand a single thing that makes camp films interesting while at the same time completely abandoning any relation to the first film. So yeah, leaving before that footage was brilliant.

So it joins Trolls 2 and Time Chaser 2 in "awful, but doesn't even have the awful charm" section of bad movies that are sequel to MST3K material?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Rirse posted:

So it joins Trolls 2 and Time Chaser 2 in "awful, but doesn't even have the awful charm" section of bad movies that are sequel to MST3K material?

Was Troll 2 supposed to be a sequel to an MST3K of a Troll movie, or is there a Troll 3 or something?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Rirse posted:

Troll 2 is a wonderful film, you bastard.

And I don't think there even is a Time Chasers 2...?

Edit: Did you mean Hobgoblins 2?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FrensaGeran posted:

Was Troll 2 supposed to be a sequel to an MST3K of a Troll movie, or is there a Troll 3 or something?

Pretty sure he meant the Hobgoblins sequel, as Troll 2 is a cinematic masterpiece.

Edit: And I heard there was a Time Chasers sequel, but I don't know if it was ever finished/released.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's also a sequel to Plan 9 From Outer Space being made, apparently the Angry Video Game Nerd has a cameo in it. It's probably going to be about as good as Manos 2.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RagingBoner posted:

Troll 2 is a wonderful film, you bastard.

And I don't think there even is a Time Chasers 2...?

Edit: Did you mean Hobgoblins 2?

Yeah I meant Hobgoblins 2. Trolls 2 is a national treasure and is not located in the town of Nilbogboh.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's also a sequel to Plan 9 From Outer Space being made, apparently the Angry Video Game Nerd has a cameo in it. It's probably going to be about as good as Manos 2.

I feel that a fundamental flaw to any of these "bad movie sequels" is this: they're purposely trying to be a bad movie.

There's something... I dunno, genuine about the originals. Ed Wood wasn't out to make the worst movie of all time. I don't think Hal Warren was either. Something like the Manos sequel seems to try too hard to be a "bad" movie, and in a way that ruins any appeal it might have.

Maybe it's just me armchair directing, but if I were to set about making a sequel to Manos, I'd go in trying my damnedest to make it a good, entertaining movie. Chances are I'd fail miserably, but such a failure would (hopefully) add something back to its appeal. If from scene 1 I'm saying to the audience "Are you folks ready for some cinematic poo poo? :wink:" then I've already failed.

But hell, maybe Mr. Manos 2 guy did the same thing and maybe it'll be a genuinely good movie (or a good bad movie, if that makes sense). Not much from those clips shown last night encouraged me any, though, save for one thing: I actually did like that final shot showing the now-elderly Master hypnotically waving his staff. It was a nice homage to the original and also kept a lot of the genuine creepiness intact. Bumbling sheriffs, washed out wrestlers and bad monster makeup on a lady? Not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Captain Invictus posted:

Where were you? I was in the Lowell Showcase Cinemas, which was nearly at capacity, including the three bottom rows on the floor. It was an alright showing, a couple kneeslappers and the shorts were mostly fantastic, but nowhere near the level of Jack The Giant Killer.

I think the thing I hate the most about Rifftrax Live events are the COMEDY KINGS who think that they can riff alongside Bill, Mike, and Kevin. There was some bearded jerkass behind me who, on top of making tons of super goony, loud, unfunny jokes, also absolutely HOOTED at anything the guys said. Even the Michael Vick joke, which everyone else groaned at.

Sorry I forgot to check back in with this thread. It turned out I left the theater for a few minutes and by the time I got back in the place filled up. Showcase Cinema in Revere. There were still a few seats, but 80% full maybe in one of Showcase Cinema Revere's larger theaters. I tricked a coworker into seeing this with me (to be fair he's watched plenty of MST3K). Thankfully there were no annoying people or wannabe riffters in attendance. I did notice a few families which was cool.

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did Captain Invictus

• Locked thread