Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
My wife's 2006 325i is not starting. We replaced the battery not too long ago, and very recently had the ballistic cable replaced. It's getting juice, but it's not even trying to turn over.

Here is a video from the engine bay

I'm thinking it's the starter. Any ideas? Am I on the right path?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Deceptor101 posted:

I took it for a quick drive, power is definitely down, but the CEL hasn't come back on yet, not enough drive cycles I guess. Maybe the injector noise is normal, but I hosed up something putting it back together. I didn't replace the OSV, but I did replace the rear intake manifold cover gasket. There was a mix of fuel and oil around all the gaskets in there though. That wouldn't cause it to be worse than when all the gaskets were oily though right? I am going to put on a new OSV, but there's some other problem that I just have no idea about.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Replace all your injector seals, then triple check your work. Then double check it. Replace the OSV as well.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Replace all your injector seals, then triple check your work. Then double check it. Replace the OSV as well.

Grabbing the Osv today and will replace all the small vacuum lines too tonight. I did the injector seals though already. I never took the injectors off the harness, but it got jostled around so I'll double check those too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

raej posted:

My wife's 2006 325i is not starting. We replaced the battery not too long ago, and very recently had the ballistic cable replaced. It's getting juice, but it's not even trying to turn over.

Here is a video from the engine bay

I'm thinking it's the starter. Any ideas? Am I on the right path?

How long ago was "not too long ago?" It sounds like you've still got a bad battery to me. Did you replace the battery yourself, or did you get a shop to do it? Since you've got an E9x, IIRC the car's computer needs to be told by a BMW diagnostic computer that it has a fresh battery; I imagine if it wasn't, it would create all kinds of funny problems...assuming the car would even start in the first place.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Laziness and lack of a need to drive anywhere led to me putting off my end link replacement, but I finally did it today.

For someone equipped with a full set of tools and an actual workshop, this would probably be a ten minute job at most. With what I consider a good set for an apartment dweller and a parking lot to work in, it took about 40 minutes.

http://imgur.com/a/qs6GH

While I was at it I also removed the model badging, leaving just the roundel. The picture from that ended up out of focus though, so just imagine it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

wolrah posted:

Fuckin' ECS Tuning not offering local pickup.

How else are they supposed to pocket half the shipping cost? :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Beach Bum posted:

How else are they supposed to pocket half the shipping cost? :v:

Ordering the one for the now-broken other side now puts me at about $23 to them for shipping, $18 for actual parts.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQp-qrMA3bM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Doesn't sound good. This is after replacing the osv and checking over everything. Then I figured I'd check the plugs, and lo and behold they're swimming in oil. He'd said he'd done the valve cover gasket, but now that I've read up on it, that's pointless if your osv is blown. Anyone up on CA car sales law? This car had all these glaring issues preventing it from passing smog. I can take him to court for my time and costs right? Dmv wording is pretty clear.

That's a lot of oil.... Hopefully he didn't run like this forever. Combine this with the busted OSV and *according to the internet* he could have ruined the cats.

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 16, 2012

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."

MrChips posted:

How long ago was "not too long ago?" It sounds like you've still got a bad battery to me. Did you replace the battery yourself, or did you get a shop to do it? Since you've got an E9x, IIRC the car's computer needs to be told by a BMW diagnostic computer that it has a fresh battery; I imagine if it wasn't, it would create all kinds of funny problems...assuming the car would even start in the first place.

About a year ago. Installed at the dealership and computer was reset.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

MrChips posted:

Since you've got an E9x, IIRC the car's computer needs to be told by a BMW diagnostic computer that it has a fresh battery; I imagine if it wasn't, it would create all kinds of funny problems...assuming the car would even start in the first place.

Could you elaborate on this? Does this only affect E9x cars or did it begin sooner?

At some point (when the prices come down sufficiently) I'd love to get an E82, but if I can't even disconnect the battery without the dealership's assistance, that may mute my desire for the car.

Does it apply to post E9x cars, say the F10 and F30?

Are there any aftermarket solutions for this yet?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

CornHolio posted:

Could you elaborate on this? Does this only affect E9x cars or did it begin sooner?

At some point (when the prices come down sufficiently) I'd love to get an E82, but if I can't even disconnect the battery without the dealership's assistance, that may mute my desire for the car.

Does it apply to post E9x cars, say the F10 and F30?

Are there any aftermarket solutions for this yet?

It applies to everything e82 and over. You need to get a coding cable from http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

You can find cheaper options that is just the cable then search the web for the dealer software but it's a lot more difficult and you need to have some computer knowledge and critical thinking skills.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Ordering the one for the now-broken other side now puts me at about $23 to them for shipping, $18 for actual parts.

I've tried to stop in just to grab a pair of badges but they wouldn't sell them to me without having them shipped to my house. Also had the ECS R8 follow me there and that thing is tacky as hell.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

I've tried to stop in just to grab a pair of badges but they wouldn't sell them to me without having them shipped to my house. Also had the ECS R8 follow me there and that thing is tacky as hell.
Ewwwww I like the looks of the R8 but that yellow tint is loving awful

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jymmybob posted:

Am I alone when I say the first thing I thought of was Ali G?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Jymmybob posted:

Just a heads up, after ECS's security breach which they took over a loving month to inform people about, I would never order from them again.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

The noise in the left rear screams axle. Easy enough to replace. Do both of them and replace the shaft seals on the diff while you're at it, along with the diff fluid.

Is the scraping noise coming from the engine bay? If so it's probably the water pump bearings going bad. Do the timing belt while you're there. If you don't know when the timing belt was done last, do it before tracking the car anyway, the motor is interference.

BMW shifters universally suck balls. You learn to live with it, or you can put brass bushings everywhere.

Is it the coolant light on the check panel? If so, it's probably just a bad level sensor. Check the coolant level visually. If it's low, fill it up and see if the light goes out. If it doesn't, install a new sensor. Mine is on all the time, but I check my oil and coolant every time I fill up.

If the coolant level sensor is bad, the oil level sensor is probably bad too. That's a bit more of a pain to replace, but it's really just an idiot light for people who can't be arsed to check their oil level regularly. An M20 that old is going to leak oil, period, so keep an eye on it. They like an extra half quart above the top line on the dipstick for track use, long sweepers at the top mark can starve the pickup without a baffle.

If you know half of this poo poo already please forgive me for treating you like you don't know it, I just like to cover all the bases if I give advice :D

You were pretty much right on the money on every point.

I'm almost a complete newbie to mechanic work, but I'm eager to learn. The list I got back is basically:
* Steering rack has some slight play, but it's not terrible
* Rear subframe bushings are torn (this is a job for a shop, beyond my abilities. he guessed at about $6-700 to repair)
* "Guibo" is cracked
* Shift linkage needs rebuilding
* Drive shaft seal is bad on the transmission (these three I could probably do, with some difficulty)
* Left rear axle has play, needs replacing (could probably do this)
* A few vacuum hoses are shot
* And there's an oil leak in the engine, but it's real dirty and it's not possible to tell where the leak is coming from
(* Also it's moderately rusty, although they didn't say anything during the inspection)

So, not in great shape, but repairable. I have a feeling we'll end up passing on this one, but it is one of the best examples I've seen so far in my price range.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Crustashio posted:

Just a heads up, after ECS's security breach which they took over a loving month to inform people about, I would never order from them again.

They support Paypal as a payment option. I wouldn't give them my card either, but I'll let them risk getting hosed by Paypal since it doesn't affect me.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

wolrah posted:

They support Paypal as a payment option. I wouldn't give them my card either, but I'll let them risk getting hosed by Paypal since it doesn't affect me.

Fair enough, I hadn't ever noticed that option.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Crustashio posted:

Fair enough, I hadn't ever noticed that option.

I think it was added after the breach, I hadn't noticed it before either (but fortunately had never ordered anything from them, was just aware of them through my then-VW-driving roommate). Unfortunately on this particular part they beat the complete crap out of any other seller, even including their lovely shipping.

They apparently used to have an actual local shop which I'd have been a lot happier dealing with, but a few years ago they went entirely online and expanded their selection while ruining their service.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 17, 2012

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

ColdPie posted:

* Drive shaft seal is bad on the transmission (these three I could probably do, with some difficulty)

As a warning, shaft seals generally aren't what's bad. It usually means the shaft bearings have gone, which cause too much play for the seal to well, seal. At least that's how it's been with the transmissions i've worked with, they were borg-warners though. Bearings means a rebuild :(

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Are there other clues I might have noticed during a test drive that would point to that? That in combination with the unknown oil leak makes me think I should pass on this car and hold out for an E36, which I think would be more fun to drive anyway.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Nitr0 posted:

It applies to everything e82 and over. You need to get a coding cable from http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

You can find cheaper options that is just the cable then search the web for the dealer software but it's a lot more difficult and you need to have some computer knowledge and critical thinking skills.

When I replaced my daytime running lights on my e90 I unhooked my battery and the computer was not happy when I turned it back on, DSC errors, xDrive errors, etc. A couple laps around the block and shutting it off seemed to let the computer realize the car wasn't broken. One error persisted for a few days (right turn signal) but even that has sorted itself out over the past week.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've had my battery disconnected many times in my E87 with no ill effect.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Are there other clues I might have noticed during a test drive that would point to that? That in combination with the unknown oil leak makes me think I should pass on this car and hold out for an E36, which I think would be more fun to drive anyway.

Nothing you can really notice while driving, the main thing will be a spray of tranny fluid out of the tailshaft. If it's leaking enough it'll cover stuff behind it, especially if you take it on the freeway.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Ewwwww I like the looks of the R8 but that yellow tint is loving awful

It's even brighter yellow in person with the LEDs being really bright pinpoints of sickly yellow. Combined with the chrome wheels just made it look off, especially since R8s don't need to try hard to get noticed.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

So now that I know I need to do the valve cover gaskets on my e39 540i, and I'm still not sure what's causing the power loss. I was thinking I would do the vanos repair. I definitely get a rattle-y noise on cold startup, and uneven power delivery, but I'm not sure about what they call "warm idle vanos clattering, similar to diesel engine." (I posted a video above of warm idle, if you know what to listen for maybe you can tell me) I know it's a massive job, but it would also allow me to replace the timing chain tensioners and guides (so I don't need to worry about that), and would give me something to do while the valve covers are being powder coated. Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? I'll also have the intake manifold off so I'll likely do the valley pan gasket and and hoses down there too. I want to never have to go into the top/front of the engine again. What else should I think about doing while I'm in there? I know it'll be like $300 in gaskets alone, but then I know my engine is set, right?

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Dyscrasia posted:

That is kind of what I am thinking. My wrecked car has been sitting (with a cover, and tarp over the engine bay) outside in Wisconsin weather for two years, not sure if its even possible to rebuild it, and it had 190k, so its not worth a straight up swap, for all I know, its got cracks in it from the collision.

Might just have to sell the 300zx and get myself an M3 as a 'fun' car. The Nissan is a blast, but I've been all about BMWs ever since I picked up the E30.

when I swapped the M44 out of my Ti the engine went to sit quietly in my friend's garage (near Madison WI). if it's still there, you can have it for free -- 144k, ran perfectly when I pulled it... of course, it's OBDII, and does not have it's wiring harness (got pulled for a friend's project car) so that may not be any less complicated than an M/S50 swap...

on the questions side -- I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know if there's a hitch receiver available for an E36 hatch (318Ti)? google brings me nothing and I'd LOVE to put a Saris Thelma on my Ti; the hatch rack I've been using is just not as convenient as I'd like....

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

snugglz posted:

when I swapped the M44 out of my Ti the engine went to sit quietly in my friend's garage (near Madison WI). if it's still there, you can have it for free -- 144k, ran perfectly when I pulled it... of course, it's OBDII, and does not have it's wiring harness (got pulled for a friend's project car) so that may not be any less complicated than an M/S50 swap...

on the questions side -- I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know if there's a hitch receiver available for an E36 hatch (318Ti)? google brings me nothing and I'd LOVE to put a Saris Thelma on my Ti; the hatch rack I've been using is just not as convenient as I'd like....

Well poo poo, that would be awesome, I live in Madison. Cursory glance makes it seem that my M42 wiring harness may or may not plug right in. I'm seeing mixed info for sure. I'll have to do some more research. I really appreciate the offer.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
no worries -- I'll email the guy who owns the garage and see if it's still there...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone seen this before:

:stare:

E92 D.

It's gauged about an half inch in the rear of the tyre, I'm surprised it never came off.

What aftermarket springs are out there for a mild drop and how do they compare to the OEM stuff for price/performance?

Bit poo poo and disappointing this really. Happened while sat idle somehow.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ash with a five posted:

Anyone seen this before:

:stare:

E92 D.

It's gauged about an half inch in the rear of the tyre, I'm surprised it never came off.

What aftermarket springs are out there for a mild drop and how do they compare to the OEM stuff for price/performance?

Bit poo poo and disappointing this really. Happened while sat idle somehow.

Aftermarket springs will always be cheaper. BMW quoted me 400 PER SPRING when I discovered the rears in my e36 were broken.

If you want to use your current shocks, don't drop too far, otherwise you will be hitting the bumpstops quite often. I used H&R OE sports on my e36 and stuck with bilstein HDs which are a "direct" replacement for OE shocks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
So I stopped at a stoplight last night to hear a minor 'CLUNK' from the rear. Immediately after as I am driving again I am getting some pretty loud and firm clunks when I accelerate or come to a dead stop, and also when I shift into or out of park. I have also developed a weird hiss from the rear of the car when accelerating above 2000 RPM. This is a '05 E46 coupe. Ideas?

Edit: Rear diff bushings?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Aftermarket springs will always be cheaper. BMW quoted me 400 PER SPRING when I discovered the rears in my e36 were broken.

If you want to use your current shocks, don't drop too far, otherwise you will be hitting the bumpstops quite often. I used H&R OE sports on my e36 and stuck with bilstein HDs which are a "direct" replacement for OE shocks.

Hahaha drat! Aftermarket spring SETS here seem to be <£200!
Any idea what the max drop is before you start breaking your shocks? I was looking at 35mm or so.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Chinatown posted:

So I stopped at a stoplight last night to hear a minor 'CLUNK' from the rear. Immediately after as I am driving again I am getting some pretty loud and firm clunks when I accelerate or come to a dead stop, and also when I shift into or out of park. I have also developed a weird hiss from the rear of the car when accelerating above 2000 RPM. This is a '05 E46 coupe. Ideas?

Read up on RTABs, RSMs and subframe mount issues and how to inspect.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Chinatown posted:

If it turns out to be your rear shock mounts, I am trying to get rid of some new in box Rogue Engineering mounts that fit E46s, let me know!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
could be the larger rear diff bushing as well

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
There's also the very remote possibility of subframe tearing. Jack up the rear and inspect all the things everyone mentioned first.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Goodbye E39 :(

Hello E90 :)

2010 335ix 6-speed with the M-sport package and less than 22k miles.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That was a pretty E39. I don't think I see those in red very often at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The post-facelift kidneys and the M-sport kit really really help the otherwise 'meh' E90 sedan front end in the appearance department.

Nice car dude, I'd love a 335xi with a 6-speed come winter time.