Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I've owned two 5th gen VFRs and ridden an FZ6. The VFR is definitely a better bike, but I recently rode a 4th gen. The fuel injection in the 5th gen is poo poo and it's unnecessarily heavy. I'd look around for a 3rd/4th gen VFR as I feel like that's the best VFR made...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

n8r posted:

I've owned two 5th gen VFRs and ridden an FZ6. The VFR is definitely a better bike, but I recently rode a 4th gen. The fuel injection in the 5th gen is poo poo and it's unnecessarily heavy. I'd look around for a 3rd/4th gen VFR as I feel like that's the best VFR made...

How are the 5th gens in urban traffic/splitting compared to say a 4th or 3rd gen? My 3rd gen wasn't great in urban settings, but I was a fool noob and should have started out on something lighter and easier anyway.
I borrowed my old 3rd gen a couple of years ago after riding the Pegaso for a year and I was surprised at how uncomfortable (read aggressive) I found it. My understanding is that the later generations got progressively more touring and comfort oriented, so I'm hoping that's the case for the 5th gen, as they do look gorgeous.
I'd love a pretty, light, comfortable, moderately powerful bike. But while such a thing might exist, it sure ain't in my snack bracket. Weight is just something I think I'm going to have to compromise on to get everything else I want.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Someone want a starter bike that is in really nice shape? Not mine:
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/mcy/3157810552.html

Linedance:
I'd say the 5th/4th are probably about the same in overall characteristics with the exception being the 5th gen is a bit heavier and has rather crude fuel injection. I would say neither are good urban riding bikes. They're designed to be ridden out on the freeways/highways/twisties.

The FZ6 would probably be slightly better around town because of the more upright/standard riding position - but not a lot better. I think the SV650N is probably one of the better choices because it has the upright/standard riding position combined with the torquey motor. The FZ6 will tour much better though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Linedance posted:

Then I started thinking about VFRs...
And I started looking at pictures of them...
And I found this for sale:

For what its worth, single sided swing arms and center stands usually make chain maintenance a snap.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Linedance posted:

How are the 5th gens in urban traffic/splitting compared to say a 4th or 3rd gen? My 3rd gen wasn't great in urban settings, but I was a fool noob and should have started out on something lighter and easier anyway.
I borrowed my old 3rd gen a couple of years ago after riding the Pegaso for a year and I was surprised at how uncomfortable (read aggressive) I found it. My understanding is that the later generations got progressively more touring and comfort oriented, so I'm hoping that's the case for the 5th gen, as they do look gorgeous.
I'd love a pretty, light, comfortable, moderately powerful bike. But while such a thing might exist, it sure ain't in my snack bracket. Weight is just something I think I'm going to have to compromise on to get everything else I want.

You should be able to find a nice Cbr6 f4i for 3k. That should be lighter.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I am in the market for my first bike. I am looking at a Ninja 250 or CBR250. Leaning towards the CBR250 (yeah Honda!). I want to learn and...um...not die. So 250 it is!

Motorcycles are part of my mid life crisis purely a fun hobby for me. I am not mechanically inclined and lucky enough to have the means to pay a bit extra for my sanity and bike reliability....which means I am old, employed and have savings...does not mean I am rich and can burn through money.

In San Diego, most used bikes are almost the same price as new. In fact, some used listings are even more than new. I know CA conventional wisdom is to buy used so the first time the bike is dropped it isn't so dreadful but if the price to fix a 2008 is roughly the same as new I don't see the advantages of buying a used bike at almost new prices. Please kindly alert me to my error in logic.

When I went to the dealer they had Ninjas and CBR's right next to each other. Sat on them both then said "great, what do you need for a test drive". He said, "we don't offer test drives".

OK, I am the noob here obviously, but how the gently caress am I supposed to buy a bike I can't even drive around a parking lot? That's kinda rear end backwards.

The sales guy was great (sbmotor.com) but he did push me towards the Ninja 600 ever so slightly over the 250, saying he thinks I would want an upgrade within a few months. Maybe he's right, but I am sticking to my plan of a 250 (plus, I have no need to commute on freeways, this is purely a side hobby so 250 suits me fine).

What's a noob to do? Do I just buck up for the CBR250? I swear there isn't a review of the Ninja 250 or CBR I haven't read twice. I don't know anyone with either bike to bum a ride.

HornyBoy123
Mar 4, 2005

Stugazi posted:

I am in the market for my first bike. I am looking at a Ninja 250 or CBR250. Leaning towards the CBR250 (yeah Honda!). I want to learn and...um...not die. So 250 it is!

Motorcycles are part of my mid life crisis purely a fun hobby for me. I am not mechanically inclined and lucky enough to have the means to pay a bit extra for my sanity and bike reliability....which means I am old, employed and have savings...does not mean I am rich and can burn through money.

In San Diego, most used bikes are almost the same price as new. In fact, some used listings are even more than new. I know CA conventional wisdom is to buy used so the first time the bike is dropped it isn't so dreadful but if the price to fix a 2008 is roughly the same as new I don't see the advantages of buying a used bike at almost new prices. Please kindly alert me to my error in logic.

When I went to the dealer they had Ninjas and CBR's right next to each other. Sat on them both then said "great, what do you need for a test drive". He said, "we don't offer test drives".

OK, I am the noob here obviously, but how the gently caress am I supposed to buy a bike I can't even drive around a parking lot? That's kinda rear end backwards.

The sales guy was great (sbmotor.com) but he did push me towards the Ninja 600 ever so slightly over the 250, saying he thinks I would want an upgrade within a few months. Maybe he's right, but I am sticking to my plan of a 250 (plus, I have no need to commute on freeways, this is purely a side hobby so 250 suits me fine).

What's a noob to do? Do I just buck up for the CBR250? I swear there isn't a review of the Ninja 250 or CBR I haven't read twice. I don't know anyone with either bike to bum a ride.

Sounds like the sales guy is...well, being a sales guy. If you are going to plan on buying another bike soon - I can't say for certain about CBRs (other goons I'm sure will soon chime in) but Ninja 250s keep their resale value high throughout their lifetime so good on you for sticking to it and following through on your plan.

If the dealer or salesperson won't let you take it for a test ride go over his head to talk to a manager - if you still don't get a test drive make it clear you aren't interested in something you can't test and find someone who will let you. Otherwise you could be paying for a piece of junk :)

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'd think a smart salesperson would try to sell you on the 250 first and convince you to come back and trade in for a 600 a few months later. "Here's my card, call me when you're ready to upgrade ;-*".

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
From what the sales guy said it sounded like dealers don't offer test rides at all. Something about insurance and the general motorcycle buyer only want a bike with 0 miles. Is that a California thing?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stugazi posted:

From what the sales guy said it sounded like dealers don't offer test rides at all. Something about insurance and the general motorcycle buyer only want a bike with 0 miles. Is that a California thing?

I visited three Triumph dealers in the San Francisco area a few months back, and every one was willing to let me take a test ride. Tried out a Bonneville SE (new) at one place, and a pair of Bonnies (T100 and "vanilla", with 6000 and 3000 miles respectively) at the other. Bought the "vanilla" Bonnie in the end.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Big 4 Jap brand dealers generally don't do test rides. Triumph and BMW tend to. Harley usually has test bikes. All those brands with test rides also happen to be more expensive.

The bikes you see listed on craigslist for at/over new prices are by definition the ones not selling. Also remember just because they're listed for something dumb doesn't mean the buyer won't take less.

When you say you want to learn, I'm assuming you've never owned a streetbike before. If by 'Ninja 600' you mean a ZX-6R supersport, it's a terrible, terrible choice and anyone pushing you towards one gives no fucks about you. A Ninja 650 is a far more relaxed ride and not a bad learner bike, but you still shouldn't buy new if you don't have to. Have you taken the MSF basic rider course yet?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Stugazi posted:

A four year old bike with a service history shouldn't require any fixing. I'd go for an adult-owned Ninja 250, but take your msf course first. As far as 600 sportsbikes go, the thing about bikes is that the power to weight ratio can very quickly get you places that the chassis can't get you out of, all the more so when you are an absolute novice, when not falling over at stop lights is (for some, it appears) a challenge. Cars are generally the opposite. A new 600cc sportsbike is a serious bit of kit and not a good idea.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.

alakath posted:

But then, yesterday, I was driving around town when I stumbled on an old Ninja 250, on sale for $700. It looked to be a third generation, and it was missing its lower fairing.

Just wanted to post an update on this. I swung by to check out the bike, and it was pretty clearly non-operational. The guy who owned it said he didn't even know what was wrong with it. So, sadly, no good deals for alakath.

I've been watching Craigslist like a hawk, though, and I stumbled upon a 2002 Buell Blast with 4,000 miles for $1,250. It looks to be in really, really great shape. And the Blast's low-maintenance features sound intriguing to a newb like myself.

What's the goon consensus on the Blast? Anything to look out for?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

alakath posted:

Just wanted to post an update on this. I swung by to check out the bike, and it was pretty clearly non-operational. The guy who owned it said he didn't even know what was wrong with it. So, sadly, no good deals for alakath.

I've been watching Craigslist like a hawk, though, and I stumbled upon a 2002 Buell Blast with 4,000 miles for $1,250. It looks to be in really, really great shape. And the Blast's low-maintenance features sound intriguing to a newb like myself.

I'm brand new to riding and just passed the basic rider course the other weekend, but as someone who took the class at a Harley dealer (that's the bike they train on) I do have some first impressions.

It vibrates like all hell. Everyone in the class commented on that. The clutch can be pretty finicky, I've been told that most other bikes are a lot more forgiving. I had stalling problems most of the first day, but they subsided quite a bit on day two, so a lot of it is just really dialing in how you release the clutch. It's fairly peppy for what it is so that much is good. I enjoyed the upright riding position. Sort of between a street bike and cafe style. I thought it handled decent enough, but my experience is extremely limited. Not sure about maintenance on them, the coaches in my class didn't comment too much on the bikes other than that they weren't that fond of them overall.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Stugazi posted:

Test ride policy is all over the place. Some want an appointment, some will send a sales guy with you to spin around on their demo bike, some toss you the keys and say 'come back soon', some just don't let you. I think it's worth visiting another dealer if a test ride is important to you, but expect them to be leery of letting a new rider out on a demo.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

rockcity posted:

It vibrates like all hell.

For what it's worth, this is only at low speed/idle. Over about 10 to 15 mph it smoothes out nicely.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

alakath posted:

My experience with Blasts are limited to riding a beat to hell one for 16 hours during my MSF course. Although I have to say I like riding my Ninja 250 more, I sorta dug the looks of the Blast. Not having to mess with a choke is nice, too, as is the belt drive. If it's in as good of shape as you believe, you can't go wrong for $1250.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

For what it's worth, this is only at low speed/idle. Over about 10 to 15 mph it smoothes out nicely.

This is true, forgot to note that. At riding speeds, it's fine. I didn't find it as bad as it seemed the coaches thought it was, but I'm a new rider and I could get over the vibrating, especially at that price for that low of mileage. I actually like the looks too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

rockcity posted:

This is true, forgot to note that. At riding speeds, it's fine.

This common point of discussion about the Ulysses in my experience.

"Doesn't it shake your teeth out?"

"It only shakes at idle and it's more fun above idle, so no."

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Buy the blast. You'll totally love it like it appreciate its reliability appreciate how smooth it rides appreciate its performance appreciate its aftermarket get 10x more FREEDOM per MILE than your comparable Ninja 250 owner have a motorcycle if you do that.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Buy the blast. You'll totally love it like it appreciate its reliability appreciate how smooth it rides appreciate its performance appreciate its aftermarket get 10x more FREEDOM per MILE than your comparable Ninja 250 owner have a motorcycle if you do that.

I think this is the most important part of the equation. I'm going to give the guy a ring and look into checking it out.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

alakath posted:

I think this is the most important part of the equation. I'm going to give the guy a ring and look into checking it out.

Do it, but be aware that unless it is one of the unicorn "oh yeah my Blast has never broken ever" units that was built midday on the third Tuesday of a new moon and blessed with water sanctified by straining it through mud from the grave of grandpa "Big Earl" Davidson, you are in for a bit of maintenance (ok, ok "break / fix cycles") with this machine.

But it is a motorcycle. And you will own it, and you will love it.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Going to check out this V-Strom 650 for my 2nd bike. :toot:

Any obvious red flags?

Looks like it has a lot of good extras that I'd be getting anyways, like the engine guard, hand guards, bags.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Saga posted:

A four year old bike with a service history shouldn't require any fixing. I'd go for an adult-owned Ninja 250, but take your msf course first. As far as 600 sportsbikes go, the thing about bikes is that the power to weight ratio can very quickly get you places that the chassis can't get you out of, all the more so when you are an absolute novice, when not falling over at stop lights is (for some, it appears) a challenge. Cars are generally the opposite. A new 600cc sportsbike is a serious bit of kit and not a good idea.

I have taken my MSF. I am a new rider. The Ninja was a 650 IIRC. It was not the sport version, that's for sure. For me, it's 250 or bust. I can always get a 650 later.

Personally, I hate craigslist. Add that I am a newb and not mechanically inclined I envision myself having a hard time buying used. Are all bikers just stand up guys who never lie? :)

What about Kelly Blue Book? Is it accurate for bikes? I just priced a bike on there vs the CL ad and KBB said it was 50% less.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
KBB's private party is high but trade in is stupid low usually.

No, not all riders are stand up guys, but lots are and that's more than the number of stand up dealerships (0).

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/3177538587.html

Emailed seller. It's still available. Never dropped, owner did maintenance, clean title.

KBB trade in is $2170.
KBB retail is $3195.

Owner asking $3350. Thoughts? Is a $3k offer an insult? Is $3195 a good deal? Thanks!

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Stugazi posted:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/3177538587.html

Emailed seller. It's still available. Never dropped, owner did maintenance, clean title.

KBB trade in is $2170.
KBB retail is $3195.

Owner asking $3350. Thoughts? Is a $3k offer an insult? Is $3195 a good deal? Thanks!

I don't think $3k is insulting at all. Plus, it's craigslist. I'm sure he's gotten offers for $1500 + a microwave oven by now.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I suck at Craigslist and haggling. Should I offer less and settle at $3k?

I want to be fair, but not too fair. :)

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Stugazi posted:

I suck at Craigslist and haggling. Should I offer less and settle at $3k?

I want to be fair, but not too fair. :)

I wouldn't worry about being fair. You don't owe a complete stranger from craigslist anything. If he doesn't like your offer, the worst he can say is no.

Start out with an offer of $2800 or something and see how close you can stay to $3k if that's your goal. Again, as it's craiglist, he's had ridiculous low balls already so $2800 isn't a bad offer by a long shot.

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 22, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Personally I'd look at the bike before talking money, other than "is the price firm?"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

nsaP posted:

Personally I'd look at the bike before talking money, other than "is the price firm?"
Thats fair enough, but you can always make a deal based on "in acceptable shape" and no surprises.

I've bought/sold vehicles sight unseen doing that. Fact of the matter is, he's not getting cash unless the buyer is happy either way.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I've done that as well when the seller was a good distance away.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

epalm posted:

Going to check out this V-Strom 650 for my 2nd bike. :toot:

Any obvious red flags?

Looks like it has a lot of good extras that I'd be getting anyways, like the engine guard, hand guards, bags.

What up Southern Ontario buddy! I was speaking to a coworker's husband and he got a 2010 for five grand with less km's, so you might want to shop a bit more.

Also, the 2012 looks infinitely more awesome (oh my wallet :( )

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

alakath posted:

And it sold before the guy even called me back. Alas. Back to the search!

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I'm looking at going to a VMax 1200cc for my 'forever bike'. I like cruisers as a style and comfort preference but I love the speed of sport bikes. I couldn't get over the look of them at first, but with some of the aftermarket options they can look pretty good. Attached a photo of a particularly sharp modded max.

There are aftermarket quick release windscreens and hard bags so I can gear it up to be ready for a long ride at the drop of a hat. I've pretty well sold myself on these bikes but welcoming any horror stories about them, or alternative 100hp cruisers that are not strapped to an 1800cc engine. I have a 1 car garage I don't need a mini-sedan in there too.

Triumph Rocket III stacks up to 1200cc 2005 VMax:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_performance_cruiser_comparison_triumph_rocket_vs_yamaha_vmax/viewall.html

Rocket III:
Weight: 803 lb. (wet), 763 lb. (fuel tank empty)
Corrected 1/4-mile: 11.21 sec. @ 120.54
0-60 mph: 3.54 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 60-80 mph: 3.11 sec.
Fuel mileage (low/high/average): 33/35/34
Cruising range (exc. reserve): 180 miles

Vmax:
Weight: 631 lb. (wet), 607 lb. (fuel tank empty)
Performance Corrected 1/4-mile: 11.30 sec. @ 119.84 mph
0-60 mph: 3.55 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 60-80 mph: 3.69 sec.
Fuel mileage (low/high/average): 29/40/33
Cruising range (exc. reserve): 106 miles

Same performance of a 2300 monster... the drat thing has a 'turbo charger'.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 22, 2012

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Have you ever ridden one? The new VMax handles terribly in my opinion so it's possible the old one might, too. I love the engine and the looks, though.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Corrupt Cypher posted:

What up Southern Ontario buddy! I was speaking to a coworker's husband and he got a 2010 for five grand with less km's, so you might want to shop a bit more.

Also, the 2012 looks infinitely more awesome (oh my wallet :( )

A 2010 DL650 for $3000? I haven't seen anything even close to that price.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

hayden. posted:

Have you ever ridden one? The new VMax handles terribly in my opinion so it's possible the old one might, too. I love the engine and the looks, though.

I've gone as far as sitting on one in the show room floor. I haven't ridden one but I've heard the handling complaints. There are a lot of extensive mods the community around this bike has figured out to improve that if it really bothered me.

I'm curious if the handling is bad stacked against other cruisers or just sport bikes? The 2008+ GEN2 supposedly has improved handling compared to the 2007- GEN1 :O

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Halo_4am posted:

alternative 100hp cruisers that are not strapped to an 1800cc engine.

That's Buell XB territory, though they don't really have cruiser ergos. Honestly vmax doesn't really have cruiser ergos either, it's a drag bike meant to kind of wedge you into the saddle for 1/4mi WOT runs. V-fours with 4 cylinders worth of carburetors and valves aren't exactly easy on maintenance, too. I wouldn't expect one to be particularly unreliable, but I would expect one to hit the wallet hard when it comes time for service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Halo_4am posted:

I've gone as far as sitting on one in the show room floor. I haven't ridden one but I've heard the handling complaints. There are a lot of extensive mods the community around this bike has figured out to improve that if it really bothered me.

I'm curious if the handling is bad stacked against other cruisers or just sport bikes? The 2008+ GEN2 supposedly has improved handling compared to the 2007- GEN1 :O

If the 08+ model is supposed to be better than I can only imagine the older ones are pretty bad. It was definitely bad compared to both other cruisers and especially to sporty bikes/standards. The big issue was how heavy it felt turning, it was really reluctant and felt awkward. The engine was nice but not super special or anything compared to the more powerful sport/standard bikes.

The new VMax was sort of a dream bike for me too, until I actually rode one.

You can always get the cash to get one, show up at one for sale, and take it for a spin to see if you like it.