Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
He means the background I believe. Unless he somehow is blind / didn't read the description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MotoMind posted:

Hypermotard.

even more flaccid

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I found it quite arousing then I realised it was a Multistrada and not a Dorsoduro and went instantly flaccid.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
I hope someone has an idea on this one. My 2001 Triumph Tiger has a weird sound. When I stop the bike after a trip to the store - say 4 miles - I pull it into my garage and close the door. As soon as my ears get used to the quiet I hear this sound; "glorp glorp glorp glorp glorpieglorp glorp glorpieglorp glorp...... fairly fast, say three glorps per second. This went on for fully 3 minutes. Nothing leaked out, no drops, now smell, no nothing. At about 2 minutes I opened the filler cap and that didn't change anything at all. This sound was not here yesterday and I'm at half a tank on a fillup maybe 2 weeks ago.

A month or so ago I had to replace the fuel line quick connect which directly feeds the fuel rail to the injectors because that was leaking. Again, no leak now just glorping which sounds exactly like the word glorp as I spelled it.

What the hell???!?!?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Low on coolant?

advion
Jul 25, 2005
So I have a bit of a dull question.

I want to buy a bike and I'm pretty set on doing it but the one thing that is still making me ponder this decision is storage. I live in Syracuse, NY and while it would be ridden a lot in the warmer months winter is my worry.

What are the options for outside storage? I know I can cover it but is this a feasible solution for winter? I'm sure this is not recommended.

I'm also a little worried about theft while keeping it out.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

advion posted:

I want to buy a bike and I'm pretty set on doing it but the one thing that is still making me ponder this decision is storage. I live in Syracuse, NY and while it would be ridden a lot in the warmer months winter is my worry.

What are the options for outside storage? I know I can cover it but is this a feasible solution for winter? I'm sure this is not recommended.

You could always rent a storage area.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I agree with fwf -- get an indoor storage space, if you don't have access to a garage or shed or something like that. I'm sure you can find something reasonable in Syracuse, and I know for a fact that there are tons of inexpensive vehicle storage options up in Watertown because of all the Army guys at Ft. Drum who need a place to keep their car during their deployment. Some of the places will even tend your battery, start it up every 2 weeks, roll it around so the tires don't get flat spots, that sort of thing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

advion posted:

It sucks, but is doable. Fill the tank all the way, put some stabilizer in it, run it a touch to get the stabilizer through the fuel system. Lube your locks with graphite if possible and some WD-40. Put the bike preferably somewhere uphill, level, up on some 2x4's or something so the tires stay as dry as possible. Make sure something solid and wide is under the kickstand if you're parking on dirt, so mud from melting snow doesn't make it tip over. Pull the battery and put it on a tender all winter. Get the bike as clean as possible, a healthy spritz with something like the S100 anti-corrosion is a good idea, and then cover it up, tight so storms don't blow it over. If it does snow, try best you can to clear the snow from on/around the covered bike. When it's time to break it back out, give it another good clean, do a healthy once-over for any winter wear, and try to run through the tank of old gas quick so you can put new stuff in. Doing these steps will prevent or mitigate most wintry concerns.

As far as theft goes, lock it up best you can. Put it somewhere out of sight to the extent possible, but if it's going to be in one place for an extended period of time, that does give thieves time to plan ahead. Be sure to check on it now and then so if it does wander off you know about what day it went.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MotoMind posted:

Hypermotard.

Hey no need to get personal now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Repeat after me: "WD-40 is not a lubricant."

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

I have a clunking sound coming from the front end of my KZ440. It happens when I'm rolling slowly and I usually notice it when stopping. At first it was intermittent, but it seems to be getting more frequent. I can't quite pin it down... Thoughts?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does it have a disk brake on the front end? Could it be the pads shifting in the caliper?

If its not that my next guess would be loose stem bearings.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

advion posted:

I keep my bikes outside - but they are under a carport. I've never had any issues. I'm still undecided whether or not it's good to use a cover for long term storage. If anything bike covers create a nice habitat for mice and the like to hide out during the winter. I've never had any issues w/ my bikes in the spring - I just make sure the tank is full and pull the battery.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Tyorik posted:

What's the preferred method of cleaning a motorcycle? Is there some sort of Windex equivalent for the tank, etc. that I can buy?

For the engine and other grimy parts, I spray them down with WD40, then scrub them with an old dish brush and bottle brush. Hit the now loosened poo poo with degreaser to remove the poo poo and the WD40. Rinse off.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tamir Lenk posted:

For the engine and other grimy parts, I spray them down with WD40, then scrub them with an old dish brush and bottle brush. Hit the now loosened poo poo with degreaser to remove the poo poo and the WD40. Rinse off.

This is a proper use of WD-40. Way to go.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shame on everyone for not using it to displace water. I drain all sinks, tubs, buckets, everything by just dumping a ton of WD40 into it

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I use it only in strict accordance with Archimedes' teachings. Never EVER EVER use WD40 for anything other than displacing water. I used it once on a squeaky door hinge and a Roman soldier stabbed me in the loving gut.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Ladies, when your menstrual cycle causes uncomfortable bloating and water retention, WD40 will sort that out. Just drink 8 oz. before bedtime, and your water retention problems will be history.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Weird license question for any California CA goons. Took the MSF BRC, brought the certificate to the DMV and got my license in the mail last week. On the front it says Class CM1 and on the back it says I have both class C and M1, which was to be expected. However, under endorsements on the front and back it says "none". I thought taking the class was supposed to grant the endorsement?

Also I'm not sure exactly what "endorsement" means in DMV speak, so I apologize if this is a non-issue.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 20, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My FZ6 has been making a strange noise in first and second gear at low RPM. It almost sounds like a car's fanbelt when loose. The sound is intermittent and usually kicks in from 2-4/5kRPM.
Performance wise, the bike is fine. I've not noticed anything else out of the ordinary.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Weird license question for any California CA goons. Took the MSF BRC, brought the certificate to the DMV and got my license in the mail last week. On the front it says Class CM1 and on the back it says I have both class C and M1, which was to be expected. However, under endorsements on the front and back it says "none". I thought taking the class was supposed to grant the endorsement?

Also I'm not sure exactly what "endorsement" means in DMV speak, so I apologize if this is a non-issue.

If it says CM1 you have your motorcycle license and you're good to ride :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pope Mobile posted:

My FZ6 has been making a strange noise in first and second gear at low RPM. It almost sounds like a car's fanbelt when loose. The sound is intermittent and usually kicks in from 2-4/5kRPM.
Performance wise, the bike is fine. I've not noticed anything else out of the ordinary.

Chain going?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not that I know of. Haven't found any kinks, and it's still good after only 16k. It's a new noise to me when it comes to a chain going, if that's the case.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Endorsements are things like your HazMat and such for Commercial Drivers Licenses.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

PadreScout posted:

Endorsements are things like your HazMat and such for Commercial Drivers Licenses.

Got it. I was under the impression that there was a "motorcycle endorsement," but apparently that spot is for crazier stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got it. I was under the impression that there was a "motorcycle endorsement," but apparently that spot is for crazier stuff.

The motorcycle "M" goes under Class.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Depends on your dol. My Washington state license says "End 3" so I assume its an endorsement here.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Safety Dance posted:

Repeat after me: "WD-40 is not a lubricant."

The point is to keep water from rain/snow out of the locking mechanisms so they don't rust or build up scale that causes them to jam. The mechanism won't move all winter so lubrication per se isn't important, but it's best to use real graphite lube just to have it in there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

The point is to keep water from rain/snow out of the locking mechanisms so they don't rust or build up scale that causes them to jam. The mechanism won't move all winter so lubrication per se isn't important, but it's best to use real graphite lube just to have it in there.

WD-40 is volatile, so it will keep water/snow out for roughly a few hours/days if you're lucky. I would suggest something heavier, real oil or even light grease, for keeping stuff out all winter.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Shame on everyone for not using it to displace water. I drain all sinks, tubs, buckets, everything by just dumping a ton of WD40 into it

So true. In fact, in a previous life, a trade-size can with the flippy straw allowed me to part the red sea and lead my people to safety. Thanks WD-40!

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

*On clunky front ends*

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does it have a disk brake on the front end? Could it be the pads shifting in the caliper?

If its not that my next guess would be loose stem bearings.

It does have a disc brake. I'll check out both possibilities. Thanks man!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
I'm currently in the new job market and there's a distinct possibility I may be taking my motorcycle out for a bit of commuting back and forth to work. The quickest and easiest way there is partially on a toll road (I90 Chicago Skyway / Indiana Toll Road).

I'd like to get an E-ZPass. Any of you goons have any recommendations when it comes to mounting it on my bike/person and if at all possible being easily swappable back into my car if need be?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SB35 posted:

I'm currently in the new job market and there's a distinct possibility I may be taking my motorcycle out for a bit of commuting back and forth to work. The quickest and easiest way there is partially on a toll road (I90 Chicago Skyway / Indiana Toll Road).

I'd like to get an E-ZPass. Any of you goons have any recommendations when it comes to mounting it on my bike/person and if at all possible being easily swappable back into my car if need be?

Here are a bunch of options http://www.google.com/search?q=moto...iw=1440&bih=799

This one looks the most interesting to me http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3008/

Commuting on the skyway shouldnt be bad at all, really.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

SB35 posted:

Map pouch on your tank bag?

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
So I was just driving my bike when it suddenly stopped producing useful quantities of power and started sounding almost exactly like our 4 stroke lawnmower. Anything I can check while waiting on the roadside for a tow truck? This was while accelerating from the lights, 2005 ninja 250.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Did you run out of gas?

e: okay, to be a little more helpful -- if you didn't run out of gas, it sounds like maybe you lost a cylinder. I'd look at ignition problems. Make sure both the plug wires are well-seated, first. Then take the plugs out one at a time, ground the body against the engine case (as far away from the plug hole as you can get, unless you're fireproof) and crank the engine over to check for a spark.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 21, 2012

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
Plenty of gas, filled up yesterday. Was a very sudden loss of power as I accelerated away, no stumbling beforehand or anything like that. I checked all the wiring I could get at with only a philips screwdriver (which is to say, not very much. Just the plug leads really, and had a look at the coils but I couldn't reach them), plug leads were seated properly. Tow truck driver said it sounded to him like a bad valve, but I wouldn't think that would come on suddenly?

e. Also, he described the sound as 'fluffy' which I think is quite accurate.

e2. So, I went to check the ignition as above - remove fairings and tank. Unplug left cylinder plug, unplug right cylinder plug. Wait a minute, why is the plug in my hand. WTF. So put that back in, started right up, idled a bit lovely but sounded normal again. Gonna pick up some new plugs tomorrow; is there any idea on how to avoid this in the future? I've never had a plug back out, I'm positive I followed the instructions on installation correctly.

tzam fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 21, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

tzam posted:

Gonna pick up some new plugs tomorrow; is there any idea on how to avoid this in the future? I've never had a plug back out, I'm positive I followed the instructions on installation correctly.

There isn't much to mess up, maybe you didn't torque it to spec. Do you have a torque wrench? If not, you need one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Backfire
Aug 20, 2012

Stand back, I'm about to do Science!

Halo_4am posted:

Somebody explain shift lights to me. I see them offered as aftermarket for a lot of bikes and I don't get the point.

Some of them can be tuned to where you prefer to shift, so I'm assuming they're intended for drag racing and dialing in your shifts to achieve the best time. Then they just became something else flashy to have on a bike? As a casual rider I don't want something flashing at me every shift and can't understand why any casual rider would want that.

I've always shifted my vehicles by sound of the engine. I don't always take my bike up to redline so I'm not too familiar with that high-rpm sound but if I were always up there I'd know exactly when to shift.

If anything I'd rather have a gear indicator than a shift indicator.. just in case I forget where I'm at.

Cpt.Backfire fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 21, 2012