Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

incredible bear posted:

If it helps, I don't understand why you'd want ESPN unless you're a big NBA/MLB fan.

Because they have at least one Prem game a week as well as Serie A, Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga as well as lots of US sports, probably.

It's probably ESPN's site you'd want to check rather than Sky's, I'd say. Here's their subscription site and here's the FAQ. Seems you'd still have to do it through SKY, but they seem to have three months free at the moment. Best thing to do is probably call Sky if you can't get what you're looking for there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Huh, AV Club gave the first American Inbetweeners espisode an A-.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-inbetweeners,84030/

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Junkenstein posted:

It was better than I expected from the trailer. Still not really worth bothering with that much considering its a rehash of the same plotlines, but I imagine it will stand up quite well to a new American audience.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Captain Mediocre posted:

It was better than I expected from the trailer. Still not really worth bothering with that much considering its a rehash of the same plotlines, but I imagine it will stand up quite well to a new American audience.

According to Wiki, there's 12 episodes in the first series, so if there's more than one they're going to have to find new ideas pretty quickly. It was the same with the US Office. The first series was just a rehash of the UK one, but once they started doing their own stories it blossomed.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Kin posted:

Why can't we have a great Mechanic-off? 20 contestants battle eachother to see who can build/repair various vehicles and vehicle parts the best.

Each week the vehicles get more varied and interesting until a champion is crowned.

I'd rather watch and learn about building/repairing cars than some shite cake-off.

This is from a week ago, but Jesus Christ, someone needs to give Tim Hunkin a shedload of cash to update the Secret Life of Machines.

Mr Empty
Feb 23, 2011
Only realized Bake Off was back tonight with the second episode. Good to see it's still super delightful and hasn't been ruined by adding big egoes or more reality tv nastiness. I like the eccentric older guy and his experiments the most but the top chef this week with the beard is promising too - his platted bread looked so nice.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Empty posted:

Only realized Bake Off was back tonight with the second episode. Good to see it's still super delightful and hasn't been ruined by adding big egoes or more reality tv nastiness. I like the eccentric older guy and his experiments the most but the top chef this week with the beard is promising too - his platted bread looked so nice.
Eccentric old dude is good, as is the posh, forthright vicars' wife, but my current favourite is Scottish Hipster Boy and his sourdough bagels. You know you've made something special when Paul Hollywood himself looks astonished at how well your bread turned out.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Mickolution posted:

According to Wiki, there's 12 episodes in the first series, so if there's more than one they're going to have to find new ideas pretty quickly. It was the same with the US Office. The first series was just a rehash of the UK one, but once they started doing their own stories it blossomed.

I thought only the first episode of The Office US was a direct copy. It blew.

The rest of the show was great.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Handsome Dead posted:

Does anyone know if there's a minimum contract for additional channels on Sky? I want to get ESPN but I can't seem to find if I can get it month by month or if I have to get it like 12 months minimum. Sky's website is as unhelpful as you can imagine.

£10.99 a month, uncontracted, through Freeview - http://www.topuptv.com/viewing+packs/espn

e: oh poo poo there was another page :ughh:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
It's coming:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/how-nick-cleggs-aides-tried-to-put-him-in-the-thick-of-it-8069875.html

I am VERY excited.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Could you Bake-Off fans make a separate thread? I can't be arsed to sift through hundreds of posts about it every day; I had to do it last year and it made me VERY CROSS.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

thehustler posted:

I thought only the first episode of The Office US was a direct copy. It blew.

The rest of the show was great.

Yeah, the first episode was pretty much a direct copy, but for the whole series (only 6 episodes) there were a few similar storylines (Michael being called up for racism) and the characters were pretty much direct lifts from the UK one, but the whole thing was sanatised for US network TV. In the second series, it became it's own show and added new characters with more coming in the third.

Can't agree with "The rest of the show was great" though. It was excellent between series 2-4 and hit and miss in series 5, but got awful after that. I struggled through series 6 just out of habit, but had to stop watching at the start of 7. Out of interest, I watched a couple from the last series to see how it was now and it was as if they'd forgotten to write jokes any more. It's not like there was bad jokes in it, there were just no jokes. Some things happened and then the credits rolled. It's a real shame, because it really was excellent for a few years.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
The Office USA was great, then it went a bit mediocre, then they added Catherine "what's comedy?" Tate and it's now in some sub-level of comedy hell. I expect James Corden will show up soon and make a face.

It really makes you wonder why the US never chooses decent UK comedy stars to feature in their sitcoms, and when they do pick good ones they're always broken down shells of themselves way past their prime. I suppose since half of them think British comedy is still in 1976 they just don't realise.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Thankfully I'd long stopped watching before she turned up. At least it was announced today that this would be the last series. They're making a pilot for a Dwight spin-off for early next year, but it sounds absolutely terrible.

About UK comedy stars being in US shows, have there been that many at all? I can only think of a few semi-unknowns (when cast, anyway) like the few from Frasier or John Oliver in community (playing a terrible character, imo). Richard Ayoade played the same character in the US IT Crowd, which may have helped it if it had gotten commissioned, but supposedly it was poo poo. I'm probably forgetting a few massive stars who've ended up on sitcoms over there, but my mind is drawing a blank.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh don't worry I stopped watching The Office after season 4 or 5, I forget now. I forgot how crap it went.

Edit: Wait, Catherine loving Tate is in it? WTF?

thehustler fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 22, 2012

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Most famous example I suppose is Peter Cook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39-uJAPRzbY

Ricky "one note" Gervais's stuff is cross funded by HBO and the BBC usually. The same can be said for that Tamsin Greig/Matt LeBlanc/Steven Mangan effort Episodes. I could have sworn Idle and Cleese had whored themselves out in a lot of toss sitcoms but it seems they mainly made rubbish films. I suppose Lenny Henry and Rik Mayall's utter film flops tanked a lot of interest, speaking of which they're apparently remaking Drop Dead Fred with Russell Brand.

Re: Tate
"However, on October 21, 2011, it was announced that she would be returning to The Office in order to reprise her role of Nellie.[13] While it was initially reported that Tate would appear as a guest star in only six episodes, she was added to the recurring cast, and the eighth season finale hinted at the possibility of her returning in the next season. On June 1, 2012, TVLine.com confirmed that Tate return for the ninth season"

Giedroyc fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 22, 2012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

thehustler posted:

Oh don't worry I stopped watching The Office after season 4 or 5, I forget now. I forgot how crap it went.

Edit: Wait, Catherine loving Tate is in it? WTF?

I think it was only for a couple of episodes. If I remember right (I wasn't watching then), they had a revolving door of guest stars to try and build up some tension as to who was going to replace Michael. I think Will Ferrell was there for a while, too.

It really is a shame how much it nosedived. I was watching a few episodes from series 4 the other night and it's still brilliant, so it's not just a case of the humour getting old.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Catherine Tate was in US Office? Jesus, what next? Abed runnning into Matt Lucas at a Dr Spacetime convention in Community?

Oh.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Junkenstein posted:

Catherine Tate was in US Office? Jesus, what next? Abed runnning into Matt Lucas at a Dr Spacetime convention in Community?

Oh.

Why are you 'oh'ing? Is this a thing that happened?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Sion posted:

Why are you 'oh'ing? Is this a thing that happened?

It's happening in the next season.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

£10.99 a month, uncontracted, through Freeview - http://www.topuptv.com/viewing+packs/espn

e: oh poo poo there was another page :ughh:

Awesome. That's cheaper than with Sky and I've got one of those boxes lying around.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Catherine Tate in The Office and Matt Lucas in Community? gently caress. I'm so sorry US goons, so, so sorry. They aren't representative of British comedy.

Why do the worst British "comedians"/"actors" go to American TV? Next you're going to get Miranda Hart, or Lee Mack, or something. Ricky Gervais on Family Guy was just ridiculously unfunny too.

P.S: Lee Mack is alright in stand-up or panel shows, however his TV sitcom (Not Going Out) is poo poo.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Xachariah posted:

P.S: Lee Mack is alright in stand-up or panel shows, however his TV sitcom (Not Going Out) is poo poo.

Not Going Out is great what are you on about.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah Ricky Gervais on Family Guy was embarrassingly bad. Same when he was on The Simpsons, too. Gervais's best work (The Office aside) is with Karl Pilkington, who is infinitely funnier than Gervais, albeit unintentionally.

As for Miranda Hart; I fancy the arse off the lass and I don't know why.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Family Guy is diabolically bad anyway, why make it worse by adding Ricky Gervais?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Depends if you like one-liners and quickfire gags. NGO seems to divide people at a ratio of about 1:1 in my experience.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Because you like inbred-looking, chinless, chubby girls?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Flatscan posted:

Because you like inbred-looking, chinless, chubby girls?

Very possibly yes. Do you have a sister?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Saddens me how fast Gervais and Kay got rubbish, I still enjoy Phoenix Nights and The Office :(.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Saddens me how fast Gervais and Kay got rubbish, I still enjoy Phoenix Nights and The Office :(.

Gervais is particularly frustrating for me, because he's obviously a talented writer, having come up with The Office and Extras, both of which were good.

Having said that, I went to see Gervais do stand-up, twice, and it was... meh. Some funny bits but not many belly laughs. Maybe Merchant is the actual talent (has anyone seen his stand up?).

Kay's first stand-up show was hilarious (well it was for me, maybe not for the smugger parts of this thread) and Phoenix Nights is still a class above almost every other sitcom this country's produced. I just hope they don't ruin it by making more.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Raeg posted:

It's happening in the next season.

I'm just glad we're getting another series, even if it's a shorter one. I think NBC said they may extend the series though, probably depends on if something else gets cancelled. Malcolm McDowell is going to be in it too, though :)

Xachariah posted:

Why do the worst British "comedians"/"actors" go to American TV? Next you're going to get Miranda Hart, or Lee Mack, or something. Ricky Gervais on Family Guy was just ridiculously unfunny too.

Not to come off as snobbish, but I think it may be (The Office excluded) just the broadest UK comedies that do well over there. Yes, you'll get Americans who like Peep Show or Spaced or whatever, but I think they're mostly tucked away on cable and the majority of people have never heard of them. Network TV is big business over there and they can't really afford to take risks.

It's the same with their own stuff. Look at the trouble Community, NewsRadio Arrested Development have had on network tv. Even The Office, which I love(d), is fairly broad and they made the Jim/Pam story the centerpiece of the whole thing until they got together in the third series and then they became insufferable.

There are exceptions, like Seinfeld or 30 Rock that manage to be really clever and still get viewers, but for every one of those there are dozens of Two and a Half Men type shows.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah Ricky Gervais on Family Guy was embarrassingly bad. Same when he was on The Simpsons, too. Gervais's best work (The Office aside) is with Karl Pilkington, who is infinitely funnier than Gervais, albeit unintentionally.

The most annoying thing about Gervais for me comes from listening to the xfm shows. On those, he comes across as a genuinely nice guy. He plays up being a bit of a oval office sometimes, but he seems like someone I could easily get on with. Those were all before he got massively famous, though and now he just comes across as a massive wanker, especially on US stuff. It's like he's become everything they were satirizing on Extras and it's really annoying.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Kay's first stand-up show was hilarious (well it was for me, maybe not for the smugger parts of this thread) and Phoenix Nights is still a class above almost every other sitcom this country's produced. I just hope they don't ruin it by making more.

It may not be fashionable to say it, but I agree with you on the stand-up. He was one of the few stand-ups that my whole family could enjoy. The problem for me though, is that he's been doing the exact same stuff for so long now. His observations about everyday life or growing up in the 70s/80s were really good and true to life, but now it seems to be the same joke, just with the reference changed.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Maybe Merchant is the actual talent (has anyone seen his stand up?).

I've long suspected this, tbh. I do like Gervais' input on the xfm shows, but I think Merchant often came out with the cleverer lines and Gervais did the slightly broader stuff. I think they probably worked very well together by offering different elements for The Office.

I saw Merchant's tour last year and it was pretty good. Not amazing, but better than Gervais' stand-up. Although I did love Animals.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 22, 2012

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Well I guess I misspoke, maybe I should say that Lee Mack is poo poo in Not Going Out. It's just his inability to act in comparison to his co-stars.

Then again, Miranda Hart manages to make him look like he's a prestigious member of the Royal Shakespeare Company. It's all relative.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

stickyfngrdboy posted:

PN was written by more people than just Kay, he just didn't credit them. As I remember it that's one of the reasons Kitson refuses to be involved in telly any more.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

The first time I saw Peter Kay was in the dying days of 'The Sunday Show' and he was loving dreadful, he somehow managed to be even worse than Dennis Pennis who he replaced. Quite liked Phoenix Nights though.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

stickyfngrdboy posted:

:barf:. Complete and utter :barf:.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Gervais is particularly frustrating for me, because he's obviously a talented writer, having come up with The Office and Extras, both of which were good.

Having said that, I went to see Gervais do stand-up, twice, and it was... meh. Some funny bits but not many belly laughs. Maybe Merchant is the actual talent (has anyone seen his stand up?).

Gervais is really someone who should have just stuck to writing funny things (his written stuff really is funny), and it's obvious he knows how to craft jokes, the problem is his inability to deliver those lines in a performance (or during one of his stand up routines).

I can't really describe it...but it's like he can never hit the "beat" on the timing when he delivers them.

Junkenstein posted:

Eh...they kinda neutered it. Not as terrible as the trailer makes it out to be. But not far off.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I've recently started going through the XFM Shows with Gervais, Merchant and Pilkington from 2001 onwards and it truly is superb. I think towards the tail end of the podcast first series I kinda went "huh, I think I've heard all I NEED to hear now."

Idiot Abroad is funny but it's just not the same.

Phoenix Nights is, of course, very funny but the two geniuses behind that are Spikey and Fitzmaurice. Kay is a loving charlatan.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
My friend linked me to the new BBC3 series The Revolution Will Be Televised. He described it as "satire, like Monkey Dust but less animated" - the first episode isn't bad so far. You can see the opening news scene was influenced by The Day Today. Other than that it's been pretty watchable so far. It kinda feels like a UK version of Michael Moore's old show TV Nation, in a good way.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 22, 2012

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
That series isn't nearly as bad as the adverts made it seem, really.

Noreaus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Zero Star posted:

The Revolution Will Be Televised.

I may be suffering from sense of humour failure but I found this profoundly disturbing.
They point out something genuinely horrible and lay out a few facts, such as the bank bailout costs but then you are shown a harmless silly right-on prank related to it.
It is reinforcing the idea that we are actually powerless and in fact it is openly mocking the very concept of revolutionary action and those who would do it by reducing it to a sub Trigger Happy TV sketch.

Also it wasn't funny.