Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

Helmet off, gloves off, on the centre stand, check the oil, fill up, write down the mileage, suit up and head off. I got into the habit of checking the oil on the CB whenever I filled up, so the centre stand was really the only way to go.

Plus most of the time I have a tank bag on, so I have to take it off before filling up anyway.

This is the way. I need the leg stretch and the side-stand tilts the tank too much. So center-stand supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

front wing flexing posted:

I like to stand and stretch any chance I get on a ride.
This is pretty much my main reason for getting off the bike when filling up as well.

In unrelated news, my bike today rewarded me with a punch in the nuts as a reminder to clutch in before kicking it into first. :downs:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

at the one station near me with pay-at-the-pump, the hoses are too far from the keypad to do it all without getting off the bike, so I use the sidestand (even though I had a center stand). Makes getting your wallet out of your pocket that much easier too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Unless I am on "a ride" and need a stretch when I gas up, I seldom even take off the helmet or gloves. Gloves on helps catch gas drips from the nozzle without having to wash my hands, helmet on saves time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Doing the last of the pics from the Eurotrip, have pics of us at the service station with pantsoff.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The only time I've spilled gas was filling up my car. Should I be sitting on it?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

The only time I've spilled gas was filling up my car. Should I be sitting on it?

One armed handstand on the radio aerial without breaking is the only acceptable way. Any other way and you will be shunned and cast out from CA. :colbert:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I had a laugh when Ewan McGregor got fuel in his eyes not once, but twice somehow while filling up.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh yeah...as I recall he was off the bike. Hazardous.

I do flip my visor down before I start filling.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I wasn't aware anybody on this site ever flipped the visor up in the first place!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

clutchpuck posted:

I wasn't aware anybody on this site ever flipped the visor up in the first place!

Who still has a visor? It's just extra weight with no purpose.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
You'll be singing a different tune when a bee hits you in the eye at 60 mph

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

An observer posted:

:ssh:
I think they know

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
That reminds me. How durable is that chrome/iridium/etc visor coating? I think it looks pretty awesome, but if it's anything like my trippy shades, it probably scratches off easily.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

An observer posted:

That reminds me. How durable is that chrome/iridium/etc visor coating? I think it looks pretty awesome, but if it's anything like my trippy shades, it probably scratches off easily.

Not very on my 707 vendetta (budget helmet though. decent, but still budget.) Still awesome.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

An observer posted:

The coating's normally on the inside (or, if it's a high quality one, below the anti-scratch coating). The one concern is the cheaper ones can be quite bad, optically, and cause distortion which can be pretty jarring at speed.

Oh, just to reignite (heh) the fuelling debate, I just double-checked my bike's manual and it specifically says to fill it on the sidestand to ensure that there's an airgap above the fuel, to prevent fuel flowing out the vent pipe. It also says i should avoid putting the catalytic converter anywhere near dry brush, which - given it's in the centre of the swingarm - is probably extremely good advice.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

An observer posted:

With my visor down, a bee hit me in the chest, zoomed up into my helmet, hit the inside of my visor, and dropped in front of the mouth guard.

Needless to say, I was making GBS threads my pants as I frantically pulled over and ripped off my helmet.

Jesus Christ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got stung 3 times in the temple a few weeks back by a wasp or something that got in my helmet.

gently caress bees.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

epalm posted:

With my visor down, a bee hit me in the chest, zoomed up into my helmet, hit the inside of my visor, and dropped in front of the mouth guard.

Needless to say, I was making GBS threads my pants as I frantically pulled over and ripped off my helmet.

Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is right. Congratulations are in order for not driving the gently caress off the road.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
It took everything I had not to fling open the visor while still moving. It was still alive, I could hear it buzzing as it ricocheted back and forth against the inside of the visor and the mouth guard.

Edit: :derp:

epswing fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 21, 2012

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Stopped in traffic at a long light, I encountered the loving biggest wasp ever. Seriously, I have never seen a hornet/wasp this size in my life, its body was a big as my index finger.

The fucker was circling my bars, as I frantically tried to wave him off until I could pull away. Even in jacket, gloves, helmet, etc., I was convinced that bitch was going to settle on my arm or neck and try to crawl inside.

gently caress all insects forever.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

epalm posted:

Jesus Christ.

Great, now I have something else to be paranoid about when I'm riding.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

TheScott2K posted:

Great, now I have something else to be paranoid about when I'm riding.

Just pay really close attention so you can dodge them!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

Helmet off, gloves off, on the centre stand, check the oil, fill up, write down the mileage, suit up and head off.
You sir should own a BMW.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He didn't say anything about polishing his emblem with a special rag.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

nsaP posted:

That kind of quality time is reserved for the privacy of a bedroom garage you heathen.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

nsaP posted:

Roundel not emblem.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

An observer posted:

What are you doing fighting Muhammad Ali anyway? That's extreme, a motorcycle fight at 60mph.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

kenny powerzzz posted:

Roundel not emblem.

He's not riding a BMW yet. Believe me I thought it out.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Beads. Bees? BEES?! BEES!!

Only have tiny critters flying in to my jacket that like to crawl around and be itchy. A few swift punches to the general region is the correct prescription.

Ola posted:

Doing the last of the pics from the Eurotrip, have pics of us at the service station with pantsoff.

:haw:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You sir should own a BMW.
Oh, I'll have an R series at some point in the future :) Dunno about the modular helmet and Aerostich though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

epalm posted:

It took everything I had not to fling open the visor while still moving.

That would have been the first thing I did.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

clutchpuck posted:

That would have been the first thing I did.

I got a wasp stuck in the strap that goes under my chin as I was riding, fucker stung me in the neck like 3 times before i could get my gloves in there to squish the life out of him.

drat stinging insects.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The only time I've gotten gas on my crotch is doing wheelies on an old 70's XL250, and the gas leaked out of the cap.

The lesson here? You DO NOT want gas on your balls, it is incredibly painful.

Hello fellow gas-covered-balls-because-of-a-wheelie bro. I've never felt fire like that in my life.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I parked next to the nest of about a million grasshoppers this week and left my jacket and pants on the bike for about an hour. It was disturbing to put those garments back on.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I bought this set for $25 and it loving rocks. Ripped out a shitton of engine transmission bearings (3 CB750's worth) without issue.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Uncool bike news from the UK:

http://www.capitalfm.com/southcoast/on-air/news-travel/local-news/help-find-biker-who-killed-dog/

"THE RSPCA is trying to find a man who deliberately hit and killed a dog with his motorbike in Hampshire."

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

As uncool as that is, I have to wonder what kind of balls that guy has to deliberately hit a dog on a bike - even a dirt bike. Are they sure he didn't just tunnel vision on the dog or something?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Shimrod posted:

As uncool as that is, I have to wonder what kind of balls that guy has to deliberately hit a dog on a bike - even a dirt bike. Are they sure he didn't just tunnel vision on the dog or something?

So far so Aldershot. Nevertheless, I'm more than slightly sceptical. This dude's an exc riding Top Gun who can accurately skewer a dog at 60mph, but is dumb enough to ride into a 3 foot high 40ish kilo full grown Alsatian. And somehow he manages it without crashing and is able to calmly ride away?

Equally plausible would seem to be that the dog wasn't on the lead or under control, and the owner is a mental.

e: mootmoot hasn't been posting recently and now this. Coincidence??

Saga fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Saga posted:

So far so Aldershot. Nevertheless, I'm more than slightly sceptical. This dude's an exc riding Top Gun who can accurately skewer a dog at 60mph, but is dumb enough to ride into a 3 foot high 40ish kilo full grown Alsatian. And somehow he manages it without crashing and is able to calmly ride away?

Equally plausible would seem to be that the dog wasn't on the lead or under control, and the owner is a mental.

e: mootmoot hasn't been posting recently and now this. Coincidence??

A dirt bike hit the guy's dog at 60 mph, the dog was on a lead (leash), the impact sent the dog flying 25 feet, and it then died.

The biker circled around the scene, and when the owner pulled a camera, took off.

How did the owner steady the camera with his wrist and/or shoulder injuries?