Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
GenCon is over already!? Bummer. :(

We didn't place in the costume contest this year but I think our whole group did an awesome job. We don't have a ton of pictures up yet of the finished work, but here are the few that are on facebook already!

Nightmare and I look crazy bored.

Better one of Yoshimitsu

Shortly after this, I had to send my spear back to my room since it was apparently too realistic for the convention. The con guy: "Those other weapons are props. That's.... just a spear."

Soul Calibur: Extreme Beach Volleyball?

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Man, those all look so loving cash! :black101:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Thanks! :D I'm really, really pleased with how my armor came out (except I'm a bit boxier than the Hilde character model :gonk: ). Anybody feel free to ask about any of our construction, all I ever want to do once these projects are done is go on and on about how we made them but nobody wanted to come close enough to Nightmare to ask!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Recreating a Hunter S. Thompson coat for a friend. Its based off of the Fear and Loathing version and the real coat as well. I still need to do some finishing work and ironing before I ship it off. I couldn't find all the perfect colors but I hope it is close enough.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Coat looks awesome those seams are really clean.

McPantserton I think I may be falling for you, that armor is spectacular.

I wish I had some photos for content but they are all crapy bathroom look how akward I look things so I will wait till I can at least get a person around to take a picture as Shiki is finally done. Once costume down one to make a skirt for, have I mentioned I hate box pleats?

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Gamer, geek, and ladies man

McPantserton posted:

Thanks! :D I'm really, really pleased with how my armor came out (except I'm a bit boxier than the Hilde character model :gonk: ). Anybody feel free to ask about any of our construction, all I ever want to do once these projects are done is go on and on about how we made them but nobody wanted to come close enough to Nightmare to ask!

I passed you guys when you were going into the hot tub. I was on my way to dinner, else I'd have "Stairs?"'d you. Oh well. The costumes looked awesome and were some of the best I saw at the convention.

I also saw a lot of trainwrecks... I like girls in corsets, but some people shouldn't wear them...

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Thanks, guys :D I was honestly a little bummed that we didn't place in the contest, but I think we all looked good, plus my construction has greatly improved--I have virtually no repairs to make on the plastic pieces of my armor. Yay!

Also, I finally found a good picture of our Yoshimitsu:

:swoon: My fiance

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
That looks bloody amazing.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

Soul Calibur: Extreme Beach Volleyball?

This picture is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

YOUR COSTUMES CAME OUT AMAZING! The claw on Nightmare oh my jesus, and your armor, and the little faces on the sides of Yoshi's mask... it is all amazing. Amazing amazing job. I'm 99% sure that costume contests are cons are basically fixed for the judges' friends, so don't be down on yourself that you didn't place. Your costumes are amazing. Like, flawless. You did Soul Calibur proud.

Anyone else get hit by the giant FB cosplay page purge today? I am reconstructing the shattered pieces of my friends list and will probably spend the entire night tagging myself again :(

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Anyone else get hit by the giant FB cosplay page purge today? I am reconstructing the shattered pieces of my friends list and will probably spend the entire night tagging myself again :(

Is that what it was!? I guess I was too, then. =(

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Is that what it was!? I guess I was too, then. =(

Everyone with "cosplay", "cosplayer", "productions", "steampunk" etc. got deleted instantly. A sad day for weebs on facebook :japan:

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Everyone with "cosplay", "cosplayer", "productions", "steampunk" etc. got deleted instantly. A sad day for weebs on facebook :japan:

Wait, what? Why would Facebook do that?

Edit: Oh, I see it was an attempt to remove "fake" names. A shame, but maybe it will encourage people to create separate fan pages? You can create pages as an "artist" the same way you would for a business, where your page name is not necessarily a real name.

Sapphaholic fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 22, 2012

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I didn't get hit but a lot of my friends did. I have been trying to traffic all my remaining friends to my fan page as if a hurricane is coming but meh.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
A couple of weeks ago, I went out to the Pinnacles desert up north from Perth for a little photoshoot with my Daft Punk helmet. Haven't really gotten much of the pictures back, but here's two that I think are great!

Also have been working on a new set of armor for this dude.

The costume that I previously made back in 2009 was hilariously inaccurate due to my lack of skills, so I've decided to revisit it. Will be basing my new armor on this version of the concept art.

So far, I've started work on his belt and gauntlets, then I'll be moving onto the other pieces.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
What material[s] are you using for that armor?

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

YOUR COSTUMES CAME OUT AMAZING! The claw on Nightmare oh my jesus, and your armor, and the little faces on the sides of Yoshi's mask... it is all amazing. Amazing amazing job. I'm 99% sure that costume contests are cons are basically fixed for the judges' friends, so don't be down on yourself that you didn't place. Your costumes are amazing. Like, flawless. You did Soul Calibur proud.

This, and unless the contest is divided into skill levels (apprentice, journeyman, master, artisan) a lot of the time judges think you bought your poo poo instead of made it and will cut you accordingly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I've made chainmail armor, but people don't usually refer to chainmail when they say armor, so I'm probably of no help.

Chain is so absurdly mind-numbingly boring sometimes. I did a 4-in-1 butted mail 14GA galvanized coif and mantle a few years ago, and it felt like it would never end.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

This, and unless the contest is divided into skill levels (apprentice, journeyman, master, artisan) a lot of the time judges think you bought your poo poo instead of made it and will cut you accordingly.

I've known a few folks to document their builds very, very carefully for just this sort of thing.

Nothing more fun than a judge going 'So, you bought that from X!' to a cosplayer, only to have them grin and hand him a business card 'Yeah, that's my website, neat isn't it?'

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 22, 2012

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

ColdCock posted:

What material[s] are you using for that armor?

I'm using a mixture of craft foam and EVA foam. Once the armor's all built up, I'll be giving them a coat of Plasti-Dip to seal it, then it's off to painting!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I had my first ever photoshoot that didn't take place at a convention today :)

The costume is Cammy from Street Fighter, in case anyone didn't know.

I'm working on Harley Quinn from Arkham Asylum for the Baltimore Comic Con coming up in a few weeks, and it's starting to hit crunch time, and of course I have a million things left to do :( Welp, it was nice having a social life for a few weeks...

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Well its a week before pax and I finally get to start making my costume. Good thing I'm unemployed and have the time! I do have a question though. I'm going to make a ruffled skirt for the costume. From tutorials online, it looks simple enough with some trial and error for a total newb.

Here comes the awkward newbie part. I went to Jo Ann's to buy fabric yesterday(too close to closing unfortunately), and realized I'm totally lost on what kind of fabric to get. It needs to be a medium blue. Originally I had thought to get a slightly stretchier material, to fit in with the athletic vibe of the character, but now I don't know if the ruffles will play well with that kind of material.
Any suggestions on fabrics? I went around touching stuff like a weirdo, and all of it felt stiff and weird and I couldn't even find cotton or whatever skirts are normally made out of and :derp:

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I tend to go for what will look good on camera and has the right color/weight to it. Shiny stuff doesn't tend to look good unless it's a muted shine. Lately I've been having to order my fabrics online because Joann's selection is so lovely :(

Do you have a reference picture of the skirt and I could maybe try to give you advice on what kind of fabric I would get?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Is it this?

There should be a section with some "bottom weight" material (stuff they make things like the Dickey's pants out of. If you are still unsure, ask an employee, they should know.) Don't go for something super heavy, but there should be something there that is a little light with some stretch around those materials.

If you want just straight up cotton, go check out the quilting section, though those won't give you any give.

Honestly, anything that short will give the flair and ruffle you want once put together and gathered. :)

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
If you're looking for stuff that's almost exactly like in that above pic my local JoAnn's had some taffeta left over from prom season in an aqua/purple plaid in the clearance section. It's the Project Runway stuff. It has a little stretch, but crisps up nicely into pleats.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

paisleyfox posted:

Is it this?

There should be a section with some "bottom weight" material (stuff they make things like the Dickey's pants out of. If you are still unsure, ask an employee, they should know.) Don't go for something super heavy, but there should be something there that is a little light with some stretch around those materials.

If you want just straight up cotton, go check out the quilting section, though those won't give you any give.

Honestly, anything that short will give the flair and ruffle you want once put together and gathered. :)

Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah, this is the costume. I'll ask about stuff with bottom weight and look around more. I just don't want to end up like those people with the crushed velvet or something. I am so drat new to sewing :smith:

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

I'm looking at making a costume at the moment, similar to a scarecrow, I've got a burlap sack ordered to go over the head, what would be a good material to put over the eye/mouth holes? Something black that I can see and breath through. And where is a good place that delivers to the UK to buy it from?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Xemloth posted:

I'm looking at making a costume at the moment, similar to a scarecrow, I've got a burlap sack ordered to go over the head, what would be a good material to put over the eye/mouth holes? Something black that I can see and breath through. And where is a good place that delivers to the UK to buy it from?

When I made a mask for a client I used a regular mask and muslin.

like this-

I also used a styrofoam head to get the shape correct. The burlap I then glued over the mask and the muslin (you could use black) in order to make it stiff enough to keep it's shape. You could see easily enough through the burlap and the mask held it away from the eyes so that it wasn't terribly uncomfortable. The Burlap can be very itchy and likes to move around and come undone

I will have to dig up the process photos but here are some terrible pictures of the finished product

Funhilde fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 27, 2012

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

That's great, thanks!

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Can anyone recommend a good way to make TF2's Heavy Weapons Guy's bandoleer? I thought of using toilet paper tubes as a base and covering them, but I can't seem to get enough to go all the way around.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Can anyone recommend a good way to make TF2's Heavy Weapons Guy's bandoleer? I thought of using toilet paper tubes as a base and covering them, but I can't seem to get enough to go all the way around.

Are you planning to make the shells removable or all just one solid piece?

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Ask your friends if they can collect some tubes for you. If you have a saw of some sort, get a wrapping paper tube and cut it up. For a while I was stealing empty tubes from school bathrooms but those rolls tend to be a lot bigger than what you want.

Digital Nomad
Oct 22, 2005
"I'm a nomad too"
Perhaps you could buy a length of PVC pipe with a big enough diameter and just cut that up.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I wanted to make them one solid piece, all attached to the belt. I've asked friends to collect tubes, but most live on campus. I think I may just start cutting the empty tubes off the bars in the bathrooms in my building, as they're the right size, but have a lock on the end so you can't steal whole rolls. Having a slit down one side might not be too bad if it's the side I glue to the belt.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You could also try the soda bottles most people drink soda and you can find the slim bottles at stores and gas stations. Just have a prop drink party.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'd probably just saw apart PVC pipe or wood dowels, myself.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
I'm thinking of doing a Sweet Tooth (from Twisted Metal) costume for Halloween this year, but to me, one of the defining characteristics of Sweet Tooth is that the top of his head is permanently aflame. Anyone have any ideas for a semi-convincing method of making the top of my head apear to be on fire? Doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like for people to get what I'm going for here.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Finally finished my Deckers jacket. Here it is:

(left the cat in because holy lol)

And the back:

It's not as straight as I would like, but what can you do with EL wire? Oh well. Now I just have to make the skirt and the gun. Woooo! Not bad for my first time working with EL wire.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I'm being commissioned to do a slave Leia costume for Halloween. Does anyone have a good resource for this or has anyone done it before? I have a few ideas on how I can do it but any help is always appreciated.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Funhilde posted:

I'm being commissioned to do a slave Leia costume for Halloween. Does anyone have a good resource for this or has anyone done it before? I have a few ideas on how I can do it but any help is always appreciated.

http://www.rebellegion.com/about_standards.php?id=8853

And search for Slave Leia. Should help you out a bit!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Red Robin Hood posted:

http://www.rebellegion.com/about_standards.php?id=8853

And search for Slave Leia. Should help you out a bit!

Thanks! I'm doing a Return of the Jedi Luke as well so that looks like a great resource .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Psychobabble! posted:

Finally finished my Deckers jacket. Here it is:

(left the cat in because holy lol)

And the back:

It's not as straight as I would like, but what can you do with EL wire? Oh well. Now I just have to make the skirt and the gun. Woooo! Not bad for my first time working with EL wire.

This is awesome. How annoying is the battery? I'm assuming that's a battery? How long does it last?