Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Strom Thurmond posted:

So I'm looking at the razor maxx for the wife and the s3 for myself, and I went over to Amazon to see what their prices were like. Turns out they're a few bucks cheaper than Verizon's website. However, I'm not bad at negotiating, so I'm not worried about that. What I am curious about, though, is what ordering a phone through amazon is like. Last upgrade, they just ported everything over and it was fine, but this time my phone is rooted to poo poo. Will the phone just come from amazon working and all or do I have to take it to the verizon store to get them to activate it? I'd be interested if someone could walk me through this process, because it's an interesting idea, but I don't want to do it if it's going to be a huge hassle.
The activation processes for 4G LGE phones is pretty much the same whether you order it directly from Verizon's website or Amazon.
  1. If you're going from DROID to DROID all of your contacts should be synced with you gmail account so you don't need Backup Assistant which I assume isn't on your rooted phone.

2. First call the activation 800 number (usually 877.807.4646), repeat for each phone. At this point your device is changed in Verizon's system so your existing phone will be off the network, turn it off and maybe yank out the battery to be sure.

3. Then pop the 4G SIM card out of is holder and insert into the slot or tray that quick reference guide in the box will help with the specifics.

4. Plug the phone into the charger and power on. SIM activation, programming and PRL update should happen automatically. This typically happens very quickly and you will move on to the first time setup wizard and then done. :holy:

5. But if the screen shows 'Activating' and maybe some spinning arrows or some poo poo for a while just leave it alone and don't gently caress with it for at least 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour.

6. If it is stuck here, power off the device and check the SIM card to make sure you didn't put that poo poo in upside down or whatever. Plug in phone and power on again. Hopefully you will move on to a successful setup wizard. If not wait another 15 minutes at least. If still no progress call tech support: 866.406.5154 from a landline or phone not involved in this activation process and they will fix your poo poo. This is very rare but I'm being thorough. :eng101:

Please note this activation process is a bit different from 3G phones which require a *228 call at some point for programming and PRL update also no SIM cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

The activation processes for 4G LGE phones is pretty much the same whether you order it directly from Verizon's website or Amazon.
  1. If you're going from DROID to DROID all of your contacts should be synced with you gmail account so you don't need Backup Assistant which I assume isn't on your rooted phone.

2. First call the activation 800 number (usually 877.807.4646), repeat for each phone. At this point your device is changed in Verizon's system so your existing phone will be off the network, turn it off and maybe yank out the battery to be sure.

3. Then pop the 4G SIM card out of is holder and insert into the slot or tray that quick reference guide in the box will help with the specifics.

4. Plug the phone into the charger and power on. SIM activation, programming and PRL update should happen automatically. This typically happens very quickly and you will move on to the first time setup wizard and then done. :holy:

5. But if the screen shows 'Activating' and maybe some spinning arrows or some poo poo for a while just leave it alone and don't gently caress with it for at least 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour.

6. If it is stuck here, power off the device and check the SIM card to make sure you didn't put that poo poo in upside down or whatever. Plug in phone and power on again. Hopefully you will move on to a successful setup wizard. If not wait another 15 minutes at least. If still no progress call tech support: 866.406.5154 from a landline or phone not involved in this activation process and they will fix your poo poo. This is very rare but I'm being thorough. :eng101:

Please note this activation process is a bit different from 3G phones which require a *228 call at some point for programming and PRL update also no SIM cards.

Bam. It'll program and off you go. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I've done. Hell that's how I activated my gnex moving from 3g - 4g. And reactivating non standard rom equipment works the same way.

Someone tell me I'm wrong. But that's what's worked here and all my ex att coworkers have said to do (most everyone's moved to big red)

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

EbolaIvory posted:

Bam. It'll program and off you go. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I've done. Hell that's how I activated my gnex moving from 3g - 4g. And reactivating non standard rom equipment works the same way.

Someone tell me I'm wrong. But that's what's worked here and all my ex att coworkers have said to do (most everyone's moved to big red)

*228 is for activating 3G devices. 4G LTE devices do not use the *228 OTA system.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So, is there a concrete rule known regarding alternate upgrades and unlimited data yet?

Like, if you use the upgrade on Line A to buy a phone and activate it on Line B, which line has to go to tiered data?

ThePhreak
Aug 17, 2004

Can you feel that...That thang that's beatin' in your doggone chest like that...Can you feel that?!?!

SpacedOut posted:

*228 is for activating 3G devices. 4G LTE devices do not use the *228 OTA system.

I recently switched to a Galaxy Nexus (within the past two weeks), and after spending 2 hours at a Verizon store the first night, an hour on the phone afterwards, and another 1.5 hours at a separate Verizon store, the guy dialing *22899 was the only way for my phone to finally be fully activated. Up until then, I only had 4G data and couldn't dial out without getting a Verizon operator. As soon as he did this, my phone worked right away.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SpacedOut posted:

Incorrect.

*22899 activated voice.

In fact. If you have a jellybean gnex. And it's not activate. Its the only way to activate it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
I'm looking to get some mobile broadband for when I'm out on the road. I'd like to use the prepaid model because it's only every so often that I need to use it and I don't want a 2yr. contract. I know there are other MVNOs and carriers that offer cheaper mobile broadband pricing, but Verizon is the only carrier with good service in the area, so I'm stuck with Verizon.

Can I easily buy a used Mifi 2200 off of eBay with a clean ESN and simply activate it and start using prepaid mobile data? I see a few people talking about it being "flashed to Verizon prepaid", but they people that seem to be making the most noise about it are the ones charging $75 for it. Is it necessary that it's a "prepaid version" or is any one okay?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

SB35 posted:

I'm looking to get some mobile broadband for when I'm out on the road. I'd like to use the prepaid model because it's only every so often that I need to use it and I don't want a 2yr. contract. I know there are other MVNOs and carriers that offer cheaper mobile broadband pricing, but Verizon is the only carrier with good service in the area, so I'm stuck with Verizon.

Can I easily buy a used Mifi 2200 off of eBay with a clean ESN and simply activate it and start using prepaid mobile data? I see a few people talking about it being "flashed to Verizon prepaid", but they people that seem to be making the most noise about it are the ones charging $75 for it. Is it necessary that it's a "prepaid version" or is any one okay?

If you don't want a contract I have a cheap LTE hotspot in SA-Mart. I normally wouldn't push this here, but you don't have PMs :(

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

kitten smoothie posted:

If you don't want a contract I have a cheap LTE hotspot in SA-Mart. I normally wouldn't push this here, but you don't have PMs :(

I'm interested, and I'll keep it to your sa-mart thread. Can anyone answer my question though? Does the mifi have to be a "prepaid version" or is any verizon branded off-contract mifi okay to use on prepaid without 'flashing' it?

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

RVProfootballer posted:

Edit: Or my phone is a special snowflake :blush:

I'm almost positive that's the case at this point

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dane cook torrent posted:

I'm almost positive that's the case at this point

Have you exchanged yours yet?

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Thanks. But I went to do it this morning and they want to tack on a one-time $30 up-grade fee. I'd rather go to the store since it's entirely the same price now. loving false advertising.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

RVProfootballer posted:

Have you exchanged yours yet?

I've been buried in work and the little free time I have is spent prepping for moving... I think I have two more months though, but by then I'll probably be smitten by the razr hd

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Mighty Horse posted:

We saw this a few times with the Razrs after the update.

A factory reset fixed it every time. Something installed prior to the update didn't agree with its new OS.

SpacedOut posted:

Seconding Mighty Horse. My RAZR started acting like a POS immediately after the ICS update. A hard reset fixed it right up.

Thanks guys. A hard reset fixed me mostly back up to get me back on the grid, but there were still some weird, lingering problems.

Fortunately I now have a replaced, ICS updated, and working Droid 4; so it's a moot point.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Hi, I have a few Q's.

Right now I am on an old unlimited data plan.

I assume if I make any changes to my service, I will need to change to a new, usage based plan. Is that correct?

Obviously I don't want to do this. My wife currently just uses her work cell for everything, which is att, and paid for by her company. She now wants to get a new iPhone for personal use. I am wondering if she adds a phone to our Verizon bill, will that prompt me getting moved off of my unlimited plan?

I have no problems avoiding this by just having her go to att or something, although I like Verizon coverage and the data speed in our area, so having both phones on the same bill would be ideal, but not worth it if I lose my current data plan.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Klauser posted:

I am wondering if she adds a phone to our Verizon bill, will that prompt me getting moved off of my unlimited plan?

No. You will not lose your plan. Each phone number is a discrete contract. Even if the VZW rep mangles your plan and makes you lose unlimited data, punch that rep in the crotch and call their customer hotline. Word on the street is that there's a 14 day window that Corporate can restore your unlimited data if some front line grunt fucks up.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Strom Thurmond posted:

Thanks. But I went to do it this morning and they want to tack on a one-time $30 up-grade fee. I'd rather go to the store since it's entirely the same price now. loving false advertising.

You mean Amazon wants to add a $30 upgrade fee? Sorry to say, but Verizon is going to have the exact same fee, from what I know. So those basically become a wash when considering where to purchase from.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
If you did an Assumption of Liability on a plan where the original account holder had an employee discount, is it possible to regain that discount if you do another AoL to give back account owner to that individual?

My dad is a retired General Motors employee so I don't think it'd be possible to reverify his employee status. I'm guessing I need to persuade someone in customer service.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Endor posted:

You mean Amazon wants to add a $30 upgrade fee? Sorry to say, but Verizon is going to have the exact same fee, from what I know. So those basically become a wash when considering where to purchase from.

This is true. If you buy direct its charged up front. If you buy indirect its charged on your bill. There's no way around it short of complaining and getting somebody to give in.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If I add myself to a family plan, and I have a large corporate discount available, will that discount apply to my line only or the entire plan?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hughmoris posted:

If I add myself to a family plan, and I have a large corporate discount available, will that discount apply to my line only or the entire plan?
If I'm reading you right, neither. The account holder is the only one that discounts apply to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So does Verizon just totally block wallet from being used? This is really pissing me off that a carrier can decide I can't have an app on my unlocked phone. An update for wallet came out but I can't get it because I'm not supposed to be able to even install it in the first place.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

So does Verizon just totally block wallet from being used? This is really pissing me off that a carrier can decide I can't have an app on my unlocked phone. An update for wallet came out but I can't get it because I'm not supposed to be able to even install it in the first place.

Used? No

My VGnex works fine with wallet.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Cojawfee posted:

If you can get the software on your phone, it'll run just fine. The problem is getting it - most of the old workarounds for getting it from Google have been patched, and I wouldn't trust some random xda-developers download link for software that can touch my credit cards.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon actually isn't allowed to request an app blocks anymore on the market. So, if wallet is being blocked, it's on Google's end.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
As of a few weeks ago, you should be able to install wallet right from the play store on a Gnex.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mighty Horse posted:

As of a few weeks ago, you should be able to install wallet right from the play store on a Gnex.

I have a Galaxy Nexus and I don't see it in the store. When I look in a browser, it says it's incompatible with all my devices.

Where the gently caress is my Jelly Bean, Verizon

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Re: Wallet:

This app is incompatible with your Verizon Samsung SCH-I405.
This item is not available on your carrier.

welp.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SCH-I405 is the Stratosphere. It doesn't have NFC so wallet wouldn't be compatible with it no matter what.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Double welp then.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
So a month ago or so I deactivated my $30/mo unlimited hotspot after I heard vzw couldn't block hotspot apps anymore. So I started using FoxFi to tether my desktop. I blew up about 25 gigs using FoxFi alone. Curious and nervous to find out if verizon is going to drop the hammer and charge me for all that usage lol. Would probably run me about $400(including my bill). Maybe a little more. I won't know to the first, but, I'll post an update here as soon as I get that invoice xD

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you tried turning on the hotspot from your phone? If you can do that and you aren't paying for a hotspot, you're fine.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Cojawfee posted:

Have you tried turning on the hotspot from your phone? If you can do that and you aren't paying for a hotspot, you're fine.

Like I said I canceled the hotspot. I thought even turning it on automatically pit me on some plan thingy? It doesn't really matter. I have internet at the house now and have no need to even use my hotspot (until I get a nexus7 at least).

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Speaking of hotspots, but I have a question.

I have an HTC thunderbolt (the first 4g phone from them), and either verizon/HTC locks the phone from using free apps to make the phone into a wifi hotspot. I dont know too much about installing custom ROMs, but since verizon did just lose a suit against them regarding the use of third party apps to enable free wifi hotspotting, is there an easier way to finally use foxfi or any hotspot app? I'm grandfathered in for unlimited data, but I'm far from being in the top 10% devouring their data.

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
I wanted to post since I just got the Samsung Galaxy S3, upgraded from my trust Droid II. Boy, was I dumb when I said that I didn't understand how i didn't seem like that much of an upgrade.

First of all, the screen is amazing. Just mind-blowingly good. That alone seems well-worth it to me. Things are much more responsive (imagine that with 2x processors and twice the RAM!) and the lack of a hardware keyboard really hasn't been a big deal. This is totally one of those cases where I didn't realize what I was missing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Speaking of hotspots, but I have a question.

I have an HTC thunderbolt (the first 4g phone from them), and either verizon/HTC locks the phone from using free apps to make the phone into a wifi hotspot. I dont know too much about installing custom ROMs, but since verizon did just lose a suit against them regarding the use of third party apps to enable free wifi hotspotting, is there an easier way to finally use foxfi or any hotspot app? I'm grandfathered in for unlimited data, but I'm far from being in the top 10% devouring their data.

Rooting that phone shouldn't be that hard, but the only non root app that I know of that'll work is FoxFi. And I've personally found the app to work on some phones, not in others. But no, pretty sure Verizon did not lose a lawsuit, and definitely still blocks unpaid for tethering on unlimited data when possible.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If I'm reading you right, neither. The account holder is the only one that discounts apply to.

Hrm, that's interesting.

I've had an AT&T iPhone in NYC for the past 4 years ( :suicide: ), and I'm very excited to be upgrading to a Verizon iPhone 5 whenever they come out.

My girlfriend has had a Verizon iPhone for about a year now. When I get mine, will we be able to join a Share Everything plan without having her sign up for a new contract? Or would changing her plan reset her to a new 2-year contract?

Also, I am eligible for a corporate discount of I think 18%. If we get the plan with 4GB of data for $150/month ($40 +$40 +$70), but the eligibility only extends to me, how does that work? Is the 18% only calculated on the $40 cost of having my phone on the account? Or do I get the 18% calculated on the whole $150, since I'm the account holder regardless of who uses each phone on my account?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hrm, that's interesting.

I've had an AT&T iPhone in NYC for the past 4 years ( :suicide: ), and I'm very exciting to be upgrading to a Verizon iPhone 5 whenever they come out.

My girlfriend has had a Verizon iPhone for about a year now. When I get mine, will we be able to join a Share Everything plan without having her sign up for a new contract? Or would changing her plan reset her to a new 2-year contract?

Also, I am eligible for a corporate discount of I think 18%. If we get the plan with 4GB of data for $150/month ($40 +$40 +$70), but the eligibility only extends to me, how does that work? Is the 18% only calculated on the $40 cost of having my phone on the account?

I'm sure they would let her switch without the contract extension. They've always let you do that, but I'm not 100% sure how that works with the new plans.

Corporate discounts only apply to the data, and I believe only by the primary account holder. Unless you do some trickery to put her onto your new account, you're not going to see any of that discount.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Athenry posted:

I'm sure they would let her switch without the contract extension. They've always let you do that, but I'm not 100% sure how that works with the new plans.

Corporate discounts only apply to the data, and I believe only by the primary account holder. Unless you do some trickery to put her onto your new account, you're not going to see any of that discount.

I'm confused by your response. In the first part you say they should let her switch to my account without contract extension and it happens all the time. Then in the second part, you mention it might take some trickery to get her onto my new account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm confused by your response. In the first part you say they should let her switch to my account without contract extension and it happens all the time. Then in the second part, you mention it might take some trickery to get her onto my new account.

Oh, I'm sorry; I misunderstood. You can get added to hers no problem, Hers getting added to yours will be.

• Locked thread