Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Nic, stop playing with mommy's lipstick. Look, you've smeared it all over the place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't really know if the tagline is a "joke" or as a selling point, but the movie is (predictably) terrible.

They couldn't even come up with an original joke for the poster...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Didn't the first loving scary movie already make that joke?

Goddamn do I hate parody films now. I can't remember the last actual good spoof came out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I think the best part of Dawn's marketing is the title treatment. It's not used in the actual movie, but it's a really inspired touch to use a sort of military/sci-fi/action typeface instead of a standard "horror" one. It really conveys that this is not a typical horror film- it's something unique.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yodzilla posted:

Goddamn do I hate parody films now. I can't remember the last actual good spoof came out.

Scary Movie 1

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yodzilla posted:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

No doubt about it... this movie gives you "Oooooooooo."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Two of my favorite spoof films, including the best sketch comedy film.

That Billy Zane really is a cool guy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sockser posted:

Scary Movie 1

That movie really had just one good joke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV-tLWRxVno

Yodzilla posted:

Hot FUzz.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Alhazred posted:

Hot FUzz.

Oh yeah. I guess I kind of forgot since I equate parodies to being loving terrible nowadays. Thanks Friedberg and Seltzer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yodzilla posted:

Aw, come on. Cabin in the Woods wasn't that long ago!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

edit: fixed the image leaching

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 22, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't really know if the tagline is a "joke" or as a selling point, but the movie is (predictably) terrible.

Does ANYONE who goes to see these even know what "Scary Movie" is these days? Why do they keep using this tagline?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I hope the rest of his career is just him looking exactly like dead historical figures until his final performance...Mother Theresa!

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aw, come on. Cabin in the Woods wasn't that long ago!

I wouldn't call Cabin in the Woods a spoof. It played with some conventions of the horror genre, sometimes for comedic effect, but it's by no means a comedy.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Mister Chief posted:

What's wrong with your face etc.

That's the first Drive poster (real or fake) that I've liked.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Ez posted:

I wouldn't call Cabin in the Woods a spoof. It played with some conventions of the horror genre, sometimes for comedic effect, but it's by no means a comedy.

What? Did we see the same film?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I agree. Not a spoof.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Not a spoof, definitely a comedy.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cartoon Man posted:

[timg]http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/8670/original/1-sheet_Lincoln_v8[1].jpg?1345651879[/timg]

Do we know how much vampire slaying is going to be in this one?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

It's cool to see that Steven Spielberg has the means to travel back in time and bring President Lincoln back to shoot a movie.

Also here's one that isn't image-leeching:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Yeah, thinking more about it, I guess you could call it a horror comedy. I see it more of a horror thriller though, but maybe that's semantic.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

[timg]http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/8670/original/1-sheet_Lincoln_v8[1].jpg?1345651879[/timg]

I will pay money to see any amount of movies with Daniel Day Lewis playing historical figures. I can't get enough of it.

This summer Daniel Day Lewis is: Moses
"See this knife? I'm gonna teach you to speak Hebrew with this loving knife!"

Daniel Day Lewis as: Nixon
"I have a...competition in me. I want no one else to succeed."

Daniel Day Lewis as: General MacArthur
To troops of the Philippines: "No, you submit, do you hear? You be strong, you survive... You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you. I shall return." *cue Yanni*

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Daniel Day Lewis is George Lucas. I would watch that movie.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would like to see those found footage spoof movies spoof Cannibal Holocaust.

Also Cabin in the Woods is a homage film.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cartoon Man posted:

edit: fixed the image leaching

They really are going old school with the Saw reboot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ez posted:

Yeah, thinking more about it, I guess you could call it a horror comedy. I see it more of a horror thriller though, but maybe that's semantic.

It's barely horror, much less a thriller. It's a horror-themed comedy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So did Lewis actually free the slaves or suspend habeas corpus or get shot in the back of the head or whatever else his insane method acting requires?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

It's cool to see that Steven Spielberg has the means to travel back in time and bring President Lincoln back to shoot a movie.

Also here's one that isn't image-leeching:

Good lord. That is an astonishing likeness.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

RandolphCarter posted:

See also:

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I enjoyed The Kindred as a young lad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Peanut President posted:

Daniel Day Lewis is George Lucas. I would watch that movie.

You know, an autobiographical film about George Lucas would actually be pretty good. A visionary who uses his whole-hearted and energetic love of the films he watched as a child to change the face of cinema and become the touchstone of whole new generations, only to get lost in greed and power and completely alienating everyone who once loved his work.

It might have to wait until after George actually dies, though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cleretic posted:

It might have to wait until after George actually dies, though.

That won't stop the right kind of person.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think he's just up and murder the dude though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I think you mean to link to these fine fellows.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RandolphCarter posted:

Since it is Daniel Day Lewis it is safe to say he did not go to any plays during filming.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

bobkatt013 posted:

Since it is Daniel Day Lewis it is safe to say he did not go to any plays during filming.

More like he went to a bunch and was kind of relieved but also slightly puzzled and disappointed at the end of each one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

Speaking of, it looks like the other picture is of him in a theatre (THE theatre?).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lobok posted:

Speaking of, it looks like the other picture is of him in a theatre (THE theatre?).

I think if might be him getting his picture taken by Mathew Brady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007