Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

IceLicker posted:

So, I have a Mid 2010 MBP (2.4ghz C2D, 4GB ram) running Snow leopard (10.6.8) and was thinking of making the leap to Mountain Lion but I'm reading mixed things about it mainly regarding battery life and performance on "older" macs. Has anyone else confirmed this to be true? Should I wait for some updates or just jump right in?

I've got that model (though I upgraded to 8GB RAM and SSD) and I'm happy with the performance and battery life, myself. As said, 10.8.1 should help when it arrives.

I do have to admit it seems like I just got this thing yesterday, I'm not ready to refer to it the way people refer to PowerBooks :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

a bad poster yall posted:

As an aside, are there any recommendations for an app that combines last.fm scrobbling with a little notification that popups (in the top right corner or wherever) when a new song starts playing.

I was using iScrobbler on my old MBP but I'd like to change as it was pretty ugly and I was only using it out of habit. My Googling skills are deserting me as I'm not entirely sure what to search for.

You might want to check out bowtie: http://bowtieapp.com/

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Bob Morales posted:

I hate Excel 2011. Slow, crashes loading big files, ugh. I've been using LibreOffice and while it's not perfect either, it works great.

Interesting.

I jsut realized I am still using Office 2004, and it is much much better than Numbers with any large document. As in Number will pin the CPU for several minutes at a time from scrolling, and Excel does not even notice the document is open.

I guess MS realized that no oen cared about performance and just went for the Numbers eyecandy route for Excel 2011.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does anyone know how I can go about finding the UUID of my windows drive's system reserved partition so I can edit my fstab to stop it mounting at boot?

My Macintosh HD drive shows it in Disk Utility, but it doesn't seem to want to show up for NTFS volumes.

Any tips?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Try this in Terminal: diskutil info /Volumes/volumename

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

japtor posted:

Try this in Terminal: diskutil info /Volumes/volumename

That did it, cheers!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is Adium supposed to be unstable on 10.8? Since upgrading, there have been a few isolated incidents when my late 2011 Macbook Pro has just completely frozen up. In all cases, Adium was open, and I wasn't doing much else...

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Montalvo posted:

Is Adium supposed to be unstable on 10.8? Since upgrading, there have been a few isolated incidents when my late 2011 Macbook Pro has just completely frozen up. In all cases, Adium was open, and I wasn't doing much else...

It's been fine for me, I've not got any custom themes or whatever though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm not using custom themes either. To be frank I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely; it seems to occur just as I mouse over the Dock to click on an app (it was usually on the Adium icon, but I just had another crash as I moused over the Mail app.)

Edit: bingo, it appears to be an issue with the dock and looks like it is happening for others: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/59445/mountain-lion-sometimes-hangs-when-mouse-enters-dock-pointer-is-movable-but-t

To summarise, what myself and others appear to be experiencing is that Mountain Lion occasionally hangs when the user moves their mouse over the dock. The app label comes into view and while the user can still move the mouse (and things like iTunes or flash videos continue to play), the system becomes unresponsive and requires a hard reboot.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 22, 2012

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Martytoof posted:

10.8 is really nice and all, but as a daily driver I'm not noticing any of the new features.

I like it, but I've been having some serious issues with applications randomly crashing under (seemingly) minimal load... this list includes Firefox, Chrome, Droplr, Textual, and TeamViewer... hopefully 10.8.1 might fix a thing or two.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did you do an upgrade or a fresh install of ML? I did a fresh install and have no crashing or any issues.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It was an update for me, since I just started from Lion. I really, really would rather not do a fresh install. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I doubt problems like that are worked out with a patch. Just do a fresh install when you have time.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I doubt problems like that are worked out with a patch. Just do a fresh install when you have time.

I'm a bit dense when it comes to doing fresh installs, but I did back up the Mountain Lion installer app to a USB stick before installing it. If I do a fresh install, can I just plug in my Time Machine and have it pretty much restore my apps and documents, or is it a more involved process?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yeah you can restore from a Time Machine backup. It's why Time Machine exists.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Even with 10.8.1 still in developer testing, 10.8.2 is being seeded to select developers.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/22/apple_invites_developers_to_begin_testing_os_x_1082.html

I wonder if it has some sort of unannounced tie-ins with iOS 6.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dox posted:

I like it, but I've been having some serious issues with applications randomly crashing under (seemingly) minimal load... this list includes Firefox, Chrome, Droplr, Textual, and TeamViewer... hopefully 10.8.1 might fix a thing or two.

What hardware are you on?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wonder if it has some sort of unannounced tie-ins with iOS 6.

It's probably the one with the Facebook stuff?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

It's probably the one with the Facebook stuff?
Maybe, but developers can already test that as a separate download. I can't imagine it's an entire 10.8.x release just for Facebook.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm guessing the SDK only contained documentation and checks regarding the public API calls for the FB integration. 10.8.2 may be what allows developers to actually test their apps with FB integration.

eames
May 9, 2009

I’m genuinely curious if anyone in this thread has Time Machine working reliably over WiFi with a (Mountain) Lion Server Mac as the backup target.

So far Time Machine in ML has trashed my complete backup history from back to September 2010 and now happily saturates my WiFi connection day and night if I let it. My SSD in this machine is 256GB large and time machine wants to back up 385GB of it (and then even more when it closes in on that number)

You should think there is a way to recover all the old backups? Hah, you wish.

Do I need to buy a Time Capsule or is Time Machine just that flipping useless over WiFi?
Thank god for SuperDuper.

eames fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 22, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

For both Lion and Mountain Lion, I've never done anything but fresh installs, then used Migration Assistant to bring everything over. Upgrade installs in my anecdotal experience always wind up tripping over themselves as far back as Tiger. Wipe and clean installs have not failed me yet.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Binary Badger posted:

For both Lion and Mountain Lion, I've never done anything but fresh installs, then used Migration Assistant to bring everything over. Upgrade installs in my anecdotal experience always wind up tripping over themselves as far back as Tiger. Wipe and clean installs have not failed me yet.

Nthing this.

One of the single most problematic issues I deal with daily is users who present with hilariously broken user accounts or OS'

They're almost always linked by having done a migration assistant, or a similar.

It's worth the extra couple hours it'll take to do things from an erase and install. Always.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

eames posted:

I’m genuinely curious if anyone in this thread has Time Machine working reliably over WiFi with a (Mountain) Lion Server Mac as the backup target.

So far Time Machine in ML has trashed my complete backup history from back to September 2010 and now happily saturates my WiFi connection day and night if I let it. My SSD in this machine is 256GB large and time machine wants to back up 385GB of it (and then even more when it closes in on that number)

You should think there is a way to recover all the old backups? Hah, you wish.

Do I need to buy a Time Capsule or is Time Machine just that flipping useless over WiFi?
Thank god for SuperDuper.

I'm using ML server on a 2008 iMac and am using Time Machine over wifi with two MBP's to a FW800 RAID enclosure attached to the iMac. Those MBP's were not backing up before I set up ML server, and I did have to set each one up separately and let them do their initial backup before moving to the next (and it took 2 days each for the initial backup and rendered my home network useless during that time) but now they seem to be working just fine and don't hog my bandwidth. The only problem I ran into was that they wouldn't stay connected if I used the name of the server, only with the IP.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
How do I maximize a window via keyboard commands?

*Note that I want to do this because OSX does really stupid things when I switch from monitor to laptop display, such as resizing windows to 10 by 10 pixels. In this particular case the "Window" menu shows it as in the front and foreground, but I can't see it at all so it must be somewhere off screen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I use Moom but there's a bunch of others that can do that type of stuff. I think BetterTouchTool can do it too if you want a free app.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

How do I maximize a window via keyboard commands?

*Note that I want to do this because OSX does really stupid things when I switch from monitor to laptop display, such as resizing windows to 10 by 10 pixels. In this particular case the "Window" menu shows it as in the front and foreground, but I can't see it at all so it must be somewhere off screen.

It's not Windows-style maximize, but you can always add your own keyboard shortcuts to anything that exists in the menubar:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Help a dumbass noob out, how do I resize the tabs in Safari so they don't take up the whole screen like this?

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

slowdave posted:

Help a dumbass noob out, how do I resize the tabs in Safari so they don't take up the whole screen like this?

It's a feature. You can fix it by installing chrome.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Ah ok. I thought that was something that could be adjusted.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

slowdave posted:

Ah ok. I thought that was something that could be adjusted.

I wish it could. It's a real pain in the rear end closing multiple tabs that aren't the first one due to the fact that the close button moves all over the place.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I wish it could. It's a real pain in the rear end closing multiple tabs that aren't the first one due to the fact that the close button moves all over the place.

Keyboard shortcut!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Learn CMD + W. It is your best friend. It closes the currently open window or tab.

Just note that in 95% of cases, even if you close the last window/tab, it won't close the program itself. That's what CMD+Q is for.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
I'm using Google Calendar online right now but would like a desktop app, if there's a good one out there.
My use will be almost exclusively using it for time management for college homework, assignments, club meetings, etc.
/Lots/ of days will be filled with "all day" events, until the night before that day when I decide what chunk of 'tomorrow' I'll use to accomplish them.
However I don't need a to-do function. Just something where it's easy to have half a dozen unscheduled events in a day, and then drag them into specific blocks of time.

Any advice? I have OS X 10.6

gregday
May 23, 2003

10.8.1 out now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gregday posted:

10.8.1 out now.

Is it still a 34mb update or whatever the developer seed was? Any link to a changelog?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Winszton posted:

I'm using Google Calendar online right now but would like a desktop app, if there's a good one out there.
My use will be almost exclusively using it for time management for college homework, assignments, club meetings, etc.
/Lots/ of days will be filled with "all day" events, until the night before that day when I decide what chunk of 'tomorrow' I'll use to accomplish them.
However I don't need a to-do function. Just something where it's easy to have half a dozen unscheduled events in a day, and then drag them into specific blocks of time.

Any advice? I have OS X 10.6

Calendar? Link it to your google Calendar by adding an account.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Didn't get a chance to save the changelog, but it was a ~35 mb update.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Is it still a 34mb update or whatever the developer seed was? Any link to a changelog?

Changelog:

- Resolve an issue that may cause Migration Assistant to unexpectedly quit
- Improve compatibility when connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server in Mail
- Address an issue playing audio through a Thunderbolt display
- Resolve an issue that could prevent iMessages from being sent
- Address an issue that could cause the system to become unresponsive when using Pinyin input
- Resolve an issue when connecting to SMB servers with long names
- Address a issue that may prevent Safari from launching when using a Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) file
- Improve 802.1X authentication with Active Directory credentials.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5418

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Changelog:

- Resolve an issue that may cause Migration Assistant to unexpectedly quit
- Improve compatibility when connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server in Mail
- Address an issue playing audio through a Thunderbolt display
- Resolve an issue that could prevent iMessages from being sent
- Address an issue that could cause the system to become unresponsive when using Pinyin input
- Resolve an issue when connecting to SMB servers with long names
- Address a issue that may prevent Safari from launching when using a Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) file
- Improve 802.1X authentication with Active Directory credentials.

poo poo, now I'm going to be paranoid Migration Assistant missed some files when I ran it.