Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Earthshaker's Fissure is pretty great. It has even worse collision detection than Anivia's wall from LoL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I accidentally found a way to grief people in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

One of the on-line game modes is called Hot Pursuit where half the team plays as the cops who have to disable the racers and the other half as the racers trying to evade the cops and get to the finish line.

The Grief if you're a racer? Just drive in the opposite direction or park in a hard to hit location where cops can't ram you and wait it out. I once had around 4 cop cars smashing into barriers trying to get to me.

Another grief is you have a device called an EMP gun that temporarily disables vehicles and deals massive damage. The kicker is, is the the lock-on connects to the closest car available regardless if they are on your team or not. Race up behind an ally lock-on and watch as they spin out all over. You can do the same with spike strips too.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

Another grief is you have a device called an EMP gun that temporarily disables vehicles and deals massive damage. The kicker is, is the the lock-on connects to the closest car available regardless if they are on your team or not. Race up behind an ally lock-on and watch as they spin out all over. You can do the same with spike strips too.

Using your EMP on fellow racers is pretty much basic strategy for the game. You're trying to beat them as well as get away from the cops.

VVV fair enough.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 25, 2012

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Using your EMP on fellow racers is pretty much basic strategy for the game. You're trying to beat them as well as get away from the cops.

I was talking more about using them on cops playing AS a cop. :cop:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Red Mundus posted:

I was talking more about using them on cops playing AS a cop. :cop:

I hope you roleplay as Internal Affairs busting them for reckless endangerment.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
I've long lost the screenshots through countless upgrades, but I do have some great grief tales from EverQuest 1.

I was probably about 12 years old when a friend and I discovered how to dupe platinum. This was a time in which there were only about ~6 servers. Our server was Fennin Ro, and we devalued the serverwide economy quite noticeably compared to other servers.

The technique was quite simple. It started by joking a bit about duping plat. I mentioned how the server only saves your character after dropping items, not money, and that if there were a way to revert your character to a last save you could easily dupe currency. My friend conveniently knew that crossing a zone-load line and then being killed would revert your character to it's last save.

We simply had to try. My buddy dropped an item, forcing his character to save with the 1 platinum he had, then dropped the 1 platinum for me to pick up. He attacked a guard near the gnome clock tower in South Qeynos, then crossed the zone line.

After about a minute of high anticipation, he appeared in the same spot his character saved. He opened up a trade dialogue with me, offering 1 platinum. This was a huge adrenaline rush -- quite uncomparable to most video game experiences. It helps that I was 12 and EQ was far more entertaining than grade school, but still, it's quite unique how it feels to discover such a bug. I quickly gave him the 2 platinum, and we repeated the process until we amassed a pile of 65,536 platinum.

The pile of platinum was too heavy for either of us to carry, so I used the old ore-pile technique from UO to pick up and drop the currency all the way to the bank in that zone. I split the pile in to two 32,768 stacks and gave my accomplice his share.

The days that followed were filled with comedy. With an endless supply of platinum we did countless reckless things that any player without an endless supply of platinum would never dream of doing. We made it rain, quite blatantly, making low level twink characters just to equip with full plate and see how they look.

I liked to buy up ridiculously expensive gems/platemail armor and give them to fire beetles in North Qeynos. NPCs automatically accept (and equip) any items you give them, then drop them on death. I set up dozens and dozens of level 1-3 newbies without them even knowing; they just went and sold their lovely 2 copper fire beetle eyes alongside the multi-platinum items I put on them, setting up their character with enough money for ~20 levels.

Buying that ridiculously expensive platemail off of NPC vendors wasn't something anyone would ever do. The stats were terrible, and the cost in platinum was absolutely exorbitant. That's why I loved buying up multiple sets and equipping random NPCs with it. I would equip the priests of discord, vendors, guild leaders...I equipped pretty much any random rear end town NPCs with full platemail armor, doing so dressed in the same full platemail armor absolutely recklessly as a ridiculously over-equipped low level character in whichever starting zone I decided to spread platinum on that day. Nobody ever reported me. Sometimes I would hold zonewide trivia contests and give the winner 100 platinum. Absolutely blatant.

We also liked to buy up player-earned goods, using the infinite bankroll to outbid any players in /auction. I think the highest level character we had was 30, but loving around like that was far more fun than playing the actual game.

The only amount of fun that ever came close was the misuse of the bugged necromancer voice graft spell. Voice graft was an absolutely useless spell - the usage states that when used your character can speak through it's skeleton pet when using /say. Absolutely useless...except for the fact that due to a bug, voice graft worked on any targeted NPC, not just pets.

This made for some great trolling. Turns out the spell lasts even after your pet is dead, so we could cast it, then go invisible and make any NPCs say whatever we wanted. Being invisible with voice graft really did fool the other players extremely well, since they just see an NPC talking to them, using their name. In east commons we loved to make elaborate quests. We would send them off to attack griffins and high level guard NPC mobs they had no chance against, tell them that their character sucked/smelled like poo poo, etc. Anything for a laugh.

My friend had the best voice graft grief. He told a newbie about a somewhat easy quest to fulfill -- the reward of which would be a Magic Muffin which would increase strength permanently by 5 when eaten. The quest was to seek out a player named Valghar by the oasis cave (the name of my friend's character) and give him 5 platinum for the Magic Muffin. Valghar ran to the location described and turned off invisibility. This is the part that's really quite funny - an intelligent player would realize that Valghar's name is not light blue, indicating it's not a NPC. Nevertheless, the poor sap bought a single regular muffin from Valghar for 5 platinum.

Memories!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Barn Door Hey Fennin Ro buddy! :) :hf: :)

What was your character name, I started on that server too at about the same time. I also did give-aways like going invis and glitching on top of the buildings and hiding. Then turning it off and rewarding those that found me. Anti-grief!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
(Once more bringing the thread back from the dead.)

In the game Firefall, one of the things you can make are jump pads, which throw you up in the air when you step on them. This can be useful in getting you up to areas you can't reach by your boot jump jets. They can be placed just about anywhere you want in the game, and are relatively easy to make.

You know where this is going.

Throwing pads down around area where people are trying to gather resources, fight monsters, or deal with NPCs can be hilarious, especially if it gets them killed. Or stick them in front of manufacturing stations or battleframe garages and terminals to see people get frustrated when they try to use them. There's also pads that activate a sort of glider when you get bounced up, but throw down a plain pad instead to watch them get PO'd when they mistake one for the other. They look different, but impatient (or more commonly, stupid) people won't take the time to see.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
In TF2 there's an achievement for Pyro that is for having your dominated enemy leave the game.

It's called BarbequeQ.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Oppenheimer posted:

In TF2 there's an achievement for Pyro that is for having your dominated enemy leave the game.

It's called BarbequeQ.
I swear this has been out for awhile.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Soulex posted:

I swear this has been out for awhile.

Since the pyro patch more than 4 years ago actually.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Absolutely brilliant DayZ griefing by a hacker. Much more imaginative than most.

http://www.twitch.tv/evilthebadger/b/327927504

You can get a taste of what's to come at around 3 minutes. The hacker returns near the 13 minute mark. Admittedly, this is a long video but it pays off spectacularly. It's like a loving horror movie. I jumped a couple times.

I can't recommend this video enough.

Edit: His friend is watching on a stream with a 10 second delay. Gets annoying, but amusing to hear the delayed reaction.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Rixen posted:

I'm really glad to see Fkpuz' latest video is catching on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_BfBwyOXJ4

I love this man.

He seems a little too into it, but it makes for a good cautionary tale.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I can't believe I watched this entire thing, but holy poo poo. You're right, this is pure gold.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This had to be during Closed Beta because there was more than 6 servers when the game was nearing the end of Closed Beta. Also when you died you dropped all stuff to a corpse and would spawn fresh without any items at your bind spot so this concept of saving is totally without merit atleast when the game was launched.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doodles posted:

Firefall :words:

This is all secondhand, but it's still a tale worth telling.

There used to be a glitch where the Dreadnaught's tier two skill Gravity Field would delete anything it landed on. Thumpers (though the mobs still spawned), players (which logged them out), anything and everything.

So, a few players were planning to remove the giant torch that exists in the middle of the hub town, Copacabana. The dreadnaught missed and hit the SIN tower (think giant shield generator), deleting it. A message in the top-right of the screen flashed "EVACUATE THE AREA".

Then, everyone, all ~100 players in Copacabana at the time were instantly killed as a developed-but-not-yet-released feature was brought down on the masses. The game spawned so many enemies that the AI server broke and 90% of the mobs stood there, not shooting. And it was still difficult to survive; that's how many mobs there were. The next few hours were filled with delicious experience until the developers hotfixed the Gravity Field nuking bug.

Broadside
Sep 21, 2004

Stay with the devil, or experience hell with an angel.

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Absolutely brilliant DayZ griefing by a hacker. Much more imaginative than most.

You can get a taste of what's to come at around 3 minutes. The hacker returns near the 13 minute mark. Admittedly, this is a long video but it pays off spectacularly. It's like a loving horror movie. I jumped a couple times.

Edit: His friend is watching on a stream with a 10 second delay. Gets annoying, but amusing to hear the delayed reaction.

Another video of using sounds in dayZ to scare people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suEj5dTEgDE

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
I used to play World of Warcraft years ago. I got into it with two real life friends who wanted to try it out, and eventually two other friends joined us. We were fine playing until some game/life drama hit and we stopped playing with each other as much. During the time apart, I was a competent player, but I just never put in any time because I wanted to do other things.

Andrew, one of the aforementioned friends, was recruited by a MAJOR guild on our server to raid lead for them. Their dirty little secret was that they could barely get through Karazhan, I think, let alone any of the tougher dungeons. Their guild master was purportedly "Army special forces" who "interrogated terrorists in Iraq" and they ate every word of his up like homemade ice cream. He would often pepper in phrases like "Let's popsmoke and evac." after a raid and you'd hear the 20 odd swarthy nerds on Ventrilo start gushing like they were CIA ninjas in field.

Andrew got me and my other friends into the guild and a few months later, some drama ensued. While he was and is a total rear end in a top hat, he did manage to lead them to most of the raids and people were furious because they wanted one of their own to raid lead. The guild master stepped down, claiming that he was transferring to Warhammer to play with his "real friends" and that he would rather play with them than strangers on the internet, and not to bother him. (Side note: Once he got to Warhammer, his 'friends' wouldn't tell him their character names so he ended up transferring back about two months later)

So the guild progressed. People were upset, but happy they had gear. The guild's reputation grew, things were good. Then the original guild master came back and everyone just assumed he should get the title back. After weeks of in-fighting and bickering, Andrew kicked 90% of the guild out leaving only myself and our friends as members. Since we were living together at the time with other roommates, he woke me up from a sleep and asked "Have you deleted your Warcraft account?" and I said "I planned on doing it tomorrow." he told me to wake up and come in our shared computer room. I logged on and he said "Congratulations, you're now the guild master." and he left the server.

The next morning I logged on and emptied out the guild bank. It was filled with stuff like void crystals, expensive farming materials, ingredients, whatever, I took them out and split them between my two remaining playing friends. I replaced it with stacks of linen and wool. On the realm forums, the guild was asking for donations to get a guild bank, I think it was like 20,000 gold they were asking for. They were the laughing stock of the server. I sent the guild master a PM and said "Heard you're looking for a guild bank."

Him: Yeah?
Me: I'm prepared to give you your guild back, bank and name, all that.
Him: Why thank you! You and I have always been friends and I admire your candor and humor and you and all your friends are welcome to join us
Me: For 10,000 gold.
Him: YOU GO gently caress YOURSELF.
Me: ....4,000?

He went offline. Out of the blue someone sends me a tell and says "1,000 and that's it, rear end in a top hat" but I manage to talk him up to 2,000. I tell him the bank is fully stocked as a way to sweeten the deal. We meet by the Stormwind Bank, he gives me the gold, I send an invite and promote him to Guild Master, he promptly kicks me out. As I'm mailing the gold to my friends who are going to be staying (since that was a relatively good chunk of change back then, not sure what it is now) I got a tell from him saying "You motherfucker! It's filled with linen and wool! WTF happened to everything" and I said "Oh, I said it was full, I didn't say with what."

They always hung out in Ironforge or Stormwind. If you've ever seen the Wire, it was similar to "Omar's comin, Omar's comin!" I decided to wait a few days to cancel my account and just slowly strolled by them, made a point to /wave each member and bow. I'd get awesome tells telling me I was a prick and I should die and I ruined their gaming life, etc. As far as I know they never reused the old guild name, either. At that point, I quit and haven't been back since.

TL;DR - I managed to get control of a popular guild, ransomed it back to the owners for over a thousand gold in a hostile negotiation, then quiet the game

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Guilds are great.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Please tell me you have some screenshots of the rage, because that is pretty awesome.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You should've dumped your ill-gotten goods on the city streets for all to have if you weren't going to use it. :ussr:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SlothfulCobra posted:

You should've dumped your ill-gotten goods on the city streets for all to have if you weren't going to use it. :ussr:

Unfortunately that's not even possible in WoW, anything that leaves your inventory simply evaporates in the ether.

He could have sold them on the auction house for cutthroat prices I guess, that's the closest analog.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

SlothfulCobra posted:

I did keep a bit for myself and I went to Goldshire and that starting zone abbey and gave away some stuff. The guild later promoted one of their tanks to be their raid leader - he was a drunk from North Alabama and he sounded like Karl from Sling Blade. He'd get hammered on four or five beers, I mean incomprehensible: slurring words, confused, agitated and just say poo poo like "I'm too hosed up to walk, so let me auto follow someone into the boss fight!"

I heard from another friend that stayed that the guild ended up setting up a PayPal account to help him with the cost of beers, because he would only lead them into raids if he was drinking.

I wish I kept screenshots. Oh yeah, the "CIA" agent accidentally outed that two of the guild members, a husband and wife, were getting divorce, but he let this drop in Ventrilo while their children (who played) were active. He goes "Guys, I just found out two of my friends are getting a divorce. It's a secret, so...yeeah, <Tom> and <Sally> wait...I meant <whatever their avatar names were> ....ooooh crap." And the kids screamed "What?!?!" and you could hear their headset hit the desk as they ran away and it was really quiet and I just chimed in with "Was that CIA training on how to keep a secret?" and he just said "...heh."

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

dromer posted:

Then, everyone, all ~100 players in Copacabana at the time were instantly killed as a developed-but-not-yet-released feature was brought down on the masses. The game spawned so many enemies that the AI server broke and 90% of the mobs stood there, not shooting. And it was still difficult to survive; that's how many mobs there were. The next few hours were filled with delicious experience until the developers hotfixed the Gravity Field nuking bug.
Oh christ, is that what happened? Yeah, that must have been hilarious. And no doubt every time they respawned, they got killed all over again.

Wish I could have been there for that one.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any android based mmo's that are good for griefing? I want something that's fun to play on the go, but not something that I need to worry about keeping up with other players by burying myself in my phone all the time. Messing with people is the obvious solution.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Is there any android based mmo's that are good for griefing? I want something that's fun to play on the go, but not something that I need to worry about keeping up with other players by burying myself in my phone all the time. Messing with people is the obvious solution.

2nding this. There has to be something. Most of the apps with any online component I've seen have been fully care bear driven or merely consists of an online scoreboard for rankings or some other cop out.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I dusted off my old COD World at War Wii game and had a look to see if people were still playing online, they sure are...

I still had my level 65 profile named "Charmander", now why would I pick such a name?
At level 65 you unlock the flamethrower, the flamethrower with unlimited ammo. (it only has a cool down system that's very easy to manage)
Now, the thing about CODWAW on the Wii is that it was the first online COD on the Wii and it was a bit of a rushjob as you'd expect. There's a lot of lag, the kind where you have to shoot ahead where your enemy is gonna be, well except for one weapon.. go on guess.
The only way lag seems to affect the flamethrower is the worse your connection- the longer it takes to fire, and to be honest you want a bad connection because it just means you're harder to hit.

So yeah, I spent the last half hour running around in free for all using nothing but the flamethrower winning every match and only dying a few times.

I know it's not really a grief, but there was no way to stop me. A few other people tried using the flamethrower but you see, I had the fireproof perk equipped. :c00l:

edit-
I also did this in one match, but with fire instead of diving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL-adNZ8kpo

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 31, 2012

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

This isn't even griefing, it's brilliant. I want this experience from a game without having to rely on a cool anonymous internet stranger.

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008
This may have been on here before but anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS6BqESizB0

15 Basic ways to piss people off in Minecraft. Its the music that does it for me. Some good stuff in there though.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

THE_Chris posted:

15 Basic ways to piss people off in Minecraft. Its the music that does it for me. Some good stuff in there though.
Wow that's a bunch of unimaginitive griefs. I mean, for example, the splash potion one is pretty much the main purpose of splash potions. Every single thing of those is pretty much the first thing someone does when they get their hands on the stuff in question, maybe with the exception of the pistons.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Speaking of griefing the Wii, I used to play Golden Gun on Goldeneye, waiting for the computer to let me and my lovely internet host a game. Then all the poor bastards playing with me would start to lag as hard as an Internet could lag, while for some reason allowing me to move at normal speed and Golden Gun every frozen fucker there was. People would get pissed and drop out, feeding me a fresh supply of new clueless victims. Hooray for abysmal Internet connections!!

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

codenameFANGIO posted:

Hooray for abysmal Internet connections!!

If abusing lag compensation counts as griefing I need to bring up Awesomenauts, which handles lag in the same way (no interpolation, attacker gets the benefit of the doubt). The big difference here is that Awesomenauts is a 2D platformer moba so deaths are a Big Deal.

So this game has a giant robot dude named Clunk who has a ton of health and an attack where he explodes Splosion Man style damaging himself and doing a larger amount of damage to everyone within a body length of him. It's got a 2-second warning animation and unless you catch someone in a corner or ambush them it's pretty easy to get out of the blast zone unless the person playing Clunk is heavily lagged, in which case the effective blast radius is what *he* is seeing.

Clunk also has a weird jumping mechanic that when properly abused allows you to jump higher and farther than everyone else in the game and/or hover for 5-10 seconds.

One of the three maps in the game has a whole lot of vertical airspace above the main area where fights happen.

Put all of this together and it's very possible to fall into a teamfight and explode before the other team even sees you. Even if you do screw up your insane health usually means you can just flutter away like a beautiful robot butterfly, heal up and try again. People get incredibly mad about this, especially when it happens 10+ times in a match.

.. and then they rematch and it happens again. :allears:

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

THE_Chris posted:

They forgot such classics as Clicking on your friend while holding a sword and the understated spamming chat with ASCII penises and the word friend of the family :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sex Robot posted:

They forgot such classics as Clicking on your friend while holding a sword and the understated spamming chat with ASCII penises and the word friend of the family :v:
His stuff is almost as good as that TF2 grief where you shoot people on the opposing team until they die.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sex Robot posted:

Me and my friend once found a buggy sand dome, where the sand had been generated in an underground dome and wasn't falling like it usually does.

I immediately removed a little sand to see what happened. What happened was the entire thing collapsing and killing us both.

I also liked to modify mine tunnels as he was in them, changing paths and blocking off old ones so he'd end up coming out in a completely different place.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Splicer posted:

His stuff is almost as good as that TF2 grief where you shoot people on the opposing team until they die.
In the Call of Duty community this is properly recognised as hacking rather than griefing.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Slime posted:

I also liked to modify mine tunnels as he was in them, changing paths and blocking off old ones so he'd end up coming out in a completely different place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBAeVpDDP-E

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

THE_Chris posted:

Somehow made it to the rageface.

Here are some more tricks for you THE_Chris:
1. Make a wacky swastika from obsidian in front of your friends house like those crazy guys in Avolition
2. Pour some lava on a dude
3. Call someone a friend of the family in chat
4PLay minecraFT

good lluck and GOod miniNG

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Are you trying to bag on this video? Judging from the top comment, it's an excellent youtube grief.

quote:

For some reason, I've always wanted Gavin to die a horrible death by Micheal. Like, gavin has a heart attack with no one around but Micheal, and Micheal refuses to call 911. And Micheal walks up to Gavin and says, " How does it feel, to have your pleas for help ignored, to have your frustrations ignored. Feels bad, doesn't it? And now your gonna die, a painful death. Maybe you shouldn't have been such an instigator." I've always wanted that kind of thing to happen to Gavin. gently caress Gavin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This is beautiful. Simple, but elegantly executed.

• Locked thread