Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's due to source engine replays not being lag compensated, not hitboxes or inaccuracy or anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Stuntman posted:

It's due to source engine replays not being lag compensated, not hitboxes or inaccuracy or anything else.

That's something that bugged me all the time when I was playing Source games in league play. In highlight reels it just looks like complete luck.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

The hitboxes in CSS are hosed up like that. It's a combination of the right ping and knowing how the game works, combined with being inhumanly good. And yeah, if you fire when moving your shots go above the crosshair as if you were already having heavy recoil. Controlling it like that is ridiculous though.

Its more to do with the way Source records not really accounting for the lag going on in the actual game.

I've watched a recording of some guy with horrible ping sniping in TF2, and it looks like he's shooting about a foot away from people's heads.

e: Oh awesome, I didn't notice the new page and now I'm a dummy. I am griefing myself.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Its more to do with the way Source records not really accounting for the lag going on in the actual game.

I've watched a recording of some guy with horrible ping sniping in TF2, and it looks like he's shooting about a foot away from people's heads.

e: Oh awesome, I didn't notice the new page and now I'm a dummy. I am griefing myself.

Well I stand corrected then. Now that I think about it I vaguely remember something about lag in the demos.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

On a semi-related note, didn't one of the older Battlefield games actually have a mechanic where you were you had a much larger spread while moving, and that spread was supposed to gradually go down to normal after you stopped moving, but if you aimed down your sights and fired right AS you stopped moving your bullets would always hit exactly where you were aiming with zero spread?

Not really cheating in any way, but counter-intuitive and it would make it seem like you were aimbotting if people didn't know what was going on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's pretty much the exact mechanic behind quick-scoping in Call of Duty except without the having to stop moving.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ghostlight posted:

That's pretty much the exact mechanic behind quick-scoping in Call of Duty except without the having to stop moving.

Right, but a lot of games have that mechanic in it so you can just piano the scope and fire keys for increased accuracy.

This was a way to get around the entire accuracy deal at all, since all shots still had spread, aiming down the sights, being prone, etc just reduced the maximum spread distance. But stopping and firing at the right period in time, you could hit the exact spot you were pointing 100% of the time.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Stuntman posted:

I'm so glad they aren't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gGWUnxE3F0

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

How have I never seen this :stare:

On the topic of abusing something that is entirely within the confines of the game WITHOUT a script
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4WLmdQJgw8

Somewhat similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l1WwiAb70g
This is a clan called pubmasters abusing the half life engine to gently caress with their opponents in tournament games or generally just dick around.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

Was this streaming live at the time? Doesn't that put him at a giant disadvantage where anyone can look at his screen while they're playing?

Most people on twitch stream with a delay of anything from 15 seconds to like 5 minutes depending on how paranoid they are. Cave would be on the more paranoid end because everyone must be hacking.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Goofballs posted:

Most people on twitch stream with a delay of anything from 15 seconds to like 5 minutes depending on how paranoid they are. Cave would be on the more paranoid end because everyone must be hacking.

That said, goons in the Planetside thread have had fun when someone was streaming. Even on a delay, you still hear their plans over voice comms and can see where they're forming up to attack. You can't say "Oh, he's right around this corner, I'll ambush him" but still knowing where they're going to strike before they get there is a pretty big deal.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Used to have a lot of fun hunting down people who streamed DayZ and sniping them.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZh3zKpeEYw

This and stream sniping is great

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?

I'm really glad to see Fkpuz' latest video is catching on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_BfBwyOXJ4

I love this man.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Rixen posted:

I'm really glad to see Fkpuz' latest video is catching on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_BfBwyOXJ4

I love this man.

It's blocked in the UK because it contains content from Channel 4 apparently, is there a workaround?

Edit: Never mind, used the one from the previous page.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I don't play DayZ. Can you explain what's going on in the videos?

Is he pretending to be friendly and then axing them?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Basically there's always on friendly fire, so the only way to band up is to rely on each other. He's lulling people in to a false sense of security, then axing them, like Patrick Bateman.

Infra
Feb 11, 2006
wreck'em tech, guns up

Stuntman posted:

Half Life replays weren't either, so any old CS video looks like people get headshot before the player takes aim at them.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

BigSexyWill posted:

Basically there's always on friendly fire, so the only way to band up is to rely on each other. He's lulling people in to a false sense of security, then axing them, like Patrick Bateman.

I created a TF2 server with friendly fire and I played backburner pyro and blasted hip to be square over voicechat as I killed people in spawn once. Its amazing how easy it is to fill a 2Fort Server, all you have to do is make it instaspawn :allears:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Did you have someone in the other spawn to keep the fun going?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Doodles posted:

Did you have someone in the other spawn to keep the fun going?

In fact we had four pyros one in each spawn. Gotta have enough people that you aren't at the bare bottom. Once a few people join you get up high enough that the play now button will feed you a pretty steady stream of playersvictims.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
My buddy recorded this while they were playing Dayz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1jTxRTOuis

(you can hear the guy over local VOIP begging not to be killed)

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 17, 2012

Tumbleweed Hank
Jul 27, 2011

Secret Sweater posted:

My buddy recorded this while they were playing Dayz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1jTxRTOuis

(you can hear the guy over local VOIP begging not to be killed)

I have no idea what is going on here. All I heard was honking and chuckling.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Tumbleweed Hank posted:

I have no idea what is going on here. All I heard was honking and chuckling.

A truck full of armed gunmen stole some guy's bike and drove off laughing. Pretty hilarious.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Goonswarm's griefs are spilling over into real life, apparently. Some dude just IMed me out of the blue (not that uncommon, I get people IMing me all the time from TG where my address is in all my recruiting threads). Never talked to this guy in my life, and he opens with this:

Sir P. Grothsmore posted:

(12:30:43 PM) <redacted>: Howdy
(12:32:10 PM) Doomsayer: Hi there!
(12:32:25 PM) Doomsayer: What's up?
(12:32:39 PM) <redacted>: Are you from MCforum?
(12:32:46 PM) Doomsayer: No?
(12:32:51 PM) <redacted>: Oh, are you a goon?
(12:32:54 PM) Doomsayer: Yep!
(12:33:03 PM) <redacted>: gently caress the goons - they're bullies
(12:33:09 PM) <redacted>: They almost made me commit suicide
(12:33:12 PM) <redacted>: They stalked me
(12:33:18 PM) <redacted>: gently caress the swarm

Already off to a great start. However, his email address was tied to his full name, address, phone number, and where he goes to school. Our full conversation is here: http://pastebin.com/Rs3XmGwQ, with all his personal information taken out, of course. According to the Goonwaffe thread, he's a real nutcase.

So, to those who scammed this guy out of his hard-earned space dollars I say: keep up the good work! :allears:

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 23, 2012

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Please do not give Prencleeve any more attention, he knows better.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You should have called him out for being a quitter. Goonswarm doesn't tolerate people who only go halfway!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Phuzzy posted:

Please do not give Prencleeve any more attention, he knows better.

Yeah, I realized recently that he's apparently A Thing and not just some random pubbie. Otherwise I would've just blocked him.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Doomsayer posted:

Goonswarm's griefs are spilling over into real life, apparently. Some dude just IMed me out of the blue (not that uncommon, I get people IMing me all the time from TG where my address is in all my recruiting threads). Never talked to this guy in my life, and he opens with this:

Already off to a great start. However, his email address was tied to his full name, address, phone number, and where he goes to school. Our full conversation is here: http://pastebin.com/Rs3XmGwQ, with all his personal information taken out, of course. According to the Goonwaffe thread, he's a real nutcase.

So, to those who scammed this guy out of his hard-earned space dollars I say: keep up the good work! :allears:

Uh if you know who he is, know he is a nutcase, and he is making suicidal comments you should STOP IMMEDIATELY and report his comments to the school. People are loving crazy and have committed murders over video games, much less suicide.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

blue squares posted:

Uh if you know who he is, know he is a nutcase, and he is making suicidal comments you should STOP IMMEDIATELY and report his comments to the school. People are loving crazy and have committed murders over video games, much less suicide.

Where's all the fun in that?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

blue squares posted:

where do you think you are, tumblr?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
There's a difference between griefing and being a oval office who lets people kill themselves.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A suicide threat is a call for help. If they're serious, a call to their local cops will get them the help they need. If they're loving with you, a call to their local cops will more than likely make sure that they never pull that kind of poo poo again. If not the cops, then being away from their internet spaceships for a few days while they're under evaluation.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 25, 2012

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bieeardo posted:

If they're loving with you, a call to their local cops will more than likely make sure that they never pull that kind of poo poo again.
If they aren't loving with you then you can justify it as a win-win grief of their suicide attempt.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

He's just a kid with nothing better to do than rail against the internet spaceship guild who rejected him, even after he put some money (via his mom's credit card) into SA accounts and upgrades. It's okay if he dies.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm siding with Ghostlight. He wouldn't be able to rage at you without looking like a total prick because you saved his life. It'd be hilarious.

Aug 24, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm siding with Ghostlight. He wouldn't be able to rage at you without looking like a total prick because you saved his life. It'd be hilarious.

This is like griefing for charity. It's funny, cruel, AND you feel morally good about it!

Content: In DotA/DOTA 2 there is a hero called Tiny. Tiny is a giant. Tiny has an ability called Toss, which throws a unit at another unit. I use this ability to throw my weak allies at my strong enemies, who quickly kill my weak ally, followed up by my saying "whoops". You lose money when you die.

Numbnuts
May 20, 2012

Dreggon posted:

Content: In DotA/DOTA 2 there is a hero called Tiny. Tiny is a giant. Tiny has an ability called Toss, which throws a unit at another unit. I use this ability to throw my weak allies at my strong enemies, who quickly kill my weak ally, followed up by my saying "whoops". You lose money when you die.

I loving loved Toss the one time I played Tiny in 2.

There was this one guy playing Drow Ranger who started out laning with me. About five minutes in he apparently gets bored, because he goes down to middle lane. Warlock is already there getting his farm going, but has to leave because Drow Ranger says, if I remember correctly, "I'm better at this than you, get the gently caress up top with Tiny, we shouldn't have only one guy up there." Warlock just gives up and comes up with me.

So this guy spends the entirety of a one hour match really just being a prick to the entire team. Killstealing, randomly farming for ten minutes halfway through (leaving middle lane open to do so) and generally being an unfunny cock.

So of course when we reach the enemy base, five minutes before victory, he starts flaunting how he's the only guy with a "perfect game" going with zero deaths as he chases a guy back to their spawn.

I promptly throw him at one of the disconnected people in back and watch him die solely from spawn protection before he can get halfway out. He was silent for I think the first time that game.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Dreggon posted:

This is like griefing for charity. It's funny, cruel, AND you feel morally good about it!

another thing you can do is block Pudge hooks. In Dota2, Pudge is a big fat butcher whos signature skill is his meat hook, he throws his hook in a line where you aimed it and hopefully grabs an enemy from a monitor's screen away right next to you so you hopefully kill with your teammates. The bad[and good if you're trying to save someone] thing about this skill is it can also grab teammates. When playing with a Pudge on your team all you need to do is make sure you're ALWAYS standing between him and his targets and he'll yell at you the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

Dizz posted:

another thing you can do is block Pudge hooks.

Or better yet, do this as Tiny, and when he hooks you, throw him into the enemy team.

• Locked thread