Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Krad posted:

What P4 needed was an ending just like Clue's. That would've fixed everything.

This is the best post.

Now to add some more to this series of CIA-classified posts!

IIRC, Dojima being the originally intended killer was mentioned in the art book, or maybe the fanbook, next to some concept art, but as I don't have it with me, I can't fact check that.

Now, I agree with the sentiment that the reveal of Adachi being the killer could have been handled a bit better storywise. I would argue that Adachi as a character is not written badly, as he is very obviously a sociopath. A very significant aspect of people with sociopathic personalities is that they view themselves as incredibly superior to the people around them, and derive joy in "faking" being normal while secretly sabotaging those around them. It's not unheard of for a sociopathic killer to have secretly have committed murders unbeknownst to even those closest to them, so I'm willing to give Atlus a pass on that.

Unfortunately, like a lot of the Persona 4 late-game revelations, it's a good concept on paper and when analyzed, but in execution it's clumsy.

Really, Persona 4 is a super enjoyable game despite some of the plot weaknesses, but I've often wondered how much better its story might have been if the development team had more than an 18-month development cycle from concept to finish.

Ravana posted:

It's a game about murder. It should be uncomfortable. Certainly that's how the NPCs treat it (Adachi vomiting in the beginning, the entire Hanged Man line, etc.), but that never really comes across to the players ourselves. I think the original killer would have done a much better job of making the player feel the same way the characters do.

Actually, the, "YAAAAAY! Let's catch a serial killer!" :neckbeard:" dichotomy was something that actually really worked for me as the viewer seeing that one of the core themes of the game is how truth is reflected in the media. The game is both very bright and exciting, but underneath are things that are dark and nauseating. On news media in real life, there's no block of stories just for the dark stuff, it's all mixed together, switching from say, a murder to the weather. And in between are entertaining commercials. Adachi as the killer works in the regard that he is both emotionally distant and emotionally close, rather like the way media makes you feel.

Cityinthesea posted:

Persona 4 If Dojima was the killer then Nanako would have NO ONE and you guys are all terrible why do you hate Nanako :colbert:

If you think about it, maybe Atlus did us all a service by writing that reveal the way they did. Just think of all the horrible fanwork that could have come from the concept of The protagonist's family adopting Nanako and the MC grooming her to become his girlfriend. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Catalina posted:

If you think about it, maybe Atlus did us all a service by writing that reveal the way they did. Just think of all the horrible fanwork that could have come from the concept of The protagonist's family adopting Nanako and the MC grooming her to become his girlfriend. :gonk:

I was going to say by the way Yu acts act the end of the game when you revisit everyone before you leave, he clearly is not comfortable with the idea, then I saw you said fanwork and now I dread as much as you do. :suicide:

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

TurnipFritter posted:

Do you mean game or do you mean glorified spell effect that takes the form of a mythological entity?

Either way the answer is Yamaoka.

Deal with it.

What is this? And what is this from?

Edit: Wow I found it. http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Yamaoka This thing is honestly the greatest demon I've ever seen.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Grand Gigas posted:

It's Nanjou Kei's ultimate Persona in Persona 2 Eternal Punishment.
(It is his deceased butler)
(The butler died fighting zombies at the beginning of Persona 1)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

It's Nanjou Kei's ultimate Persona in Persona 2 Eternal Punishment.
(It is his deceased butler)
(The butler died fighting zombies at the beginning of Persona 1)

Welp, I was gonna post Frost Ace from SMT: Strange Journey or Cereberus from SMT I & II, but I doubt anything can top this.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Grand Gigas posted:

Edit: Wow I found it. http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Yamaoka This thing is honestly the greatest demon I've ever seen.

Black Frost is still better. :colbert:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Atlus needs to make Lucifroz a persona already. Only good thing to come from Demikids

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of Murders, guess who just killed P4A's chances in Europe?

Seriously, Zen have confirmed that it's only going to be a straight up port (with no European language options) over of the US Version with the region code changed. It shouldn't be that hard.

But you know what else isn't that hard? Me cancelling my pre-order, making it clear though all channels that I will by pre-owned and pre-ordering the Tales of Graces F 1st Day Edition which has a ton of stuff which is basically a thank you for not importing (which you can totally do with TOGF) instead.
:qqsay:

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

ConanThe3rd posted:

Seriously, Zen have confirmed that it's only going to be a straight up port (with no European language options) over of the US Version with the region code changed. It shouldn't be that hard.

But you know what else isn't that hard? Me cancelling my pre-order, making it clear though all channels that I will by pre-owned and pre-ordering the Tales of Graces F 1st Day Edition which has a ton of stuff which is basically a thank you for not importing (which you can totally do with TOGF) instead.

Sucks I guess, just buy games from another region though. It's a solid fighter, a bit too easy, but solid not the less.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SilentD posted:

Sucks I guess, just buy games from another region though. It's a solid fighter, a bit too easy, but solid not the less.

Persona 4 Arena is like, the only region-locked PS3 game ever, so importing it isn't as easy as it sounds.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Atlus needs to make Lucifroz a persona already. Only good thing to come from Demikids

Actually:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah I was gonna point out a lot of "new" ones from Strange Journey were Demikids revivals.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Persona 4 Arena is like, the only region-locked PS3 game ever, so importing it isn't as easy as it sounds.

That's loving comical. Buy a US PS3?

I'm probably bit spoiled here since I've imported consoles and own cabinets for my fighters. I just don't see this as all that big of a deal.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SilentD posted:

See if that's was all it took, I wouldn't be as goddamn angry about this but no. This is the one game the companies decide to take Sony up on thier region lock for the PS3.

The only one!

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Meowjesty posted:

Mara is a giant penis in a chariot and also it spits fire. It is clearly the most hardcore of all Persona.

There are other persona that are weird or ridiculous or come close (like Satan) but Mara is just the most magical.

Theo also had a fantastic reaction to Mara when playing P3P as the female pro.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The thing I don't like about P3P is Theo is cool and the female Protagonist fits into the story so much better than the male one (and seems like a cooler person as well) that it sucks neither will show up again.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Radish posted:

The thing I don't like about P3P is Theo is cool and the female Protagonist fits into the story so much better than the male one (and seems like a cooler person as well) that it sucks neither will show up again.

I agree completely. I was on December with tons of Social Links I had missed the first time. My transfer file from my PSP to the Vita was corrupted and set me back to the start :cry: I'm still in mourning.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Radish posted:

I'd bet anything that they'll show up in the inevitable sequel/expansion for P4A.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd rather see older Junpei, Yukari and maybe even zombie Shinjiro. That's not to say the Female Protag wouldn't be welcomed as an extra character for an update/sequel.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'd rather see older Junpei, Yukari and maybe even zombie Shinjiro. That's not to say the Female Protag wouldn't be welcomed as an extra character for an update/sequel.

I'm fairly sure their silhouettes appear in P4A when they explain what happened to SEES after high school.
Edit:

Right of Mitsuru (Center)

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 23, 2012

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
I'm finally trying to get through Innocent Sin, and I just had a quick question--is there any reason NOT to return Personas for items in the Velvet Room? Specifically the unique starter Personas?

Also, I just finished the Smile Hirasaka dungeon, and I was wondering if there's any sort of sidequest/rumor stuff I should be tackling before I hit up the next dungeon?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Krad posted:

I'd bet anything that they'll show up in the inevitable sequel/expansion for P4A.

We might see Theo but I doubt we'll ever see the feMC ever in the fighter unless they try to do alternate timelines or something since Atlus is insistent on making the fighter fall into the "canon"

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

ButShinji lived in mine!!!

xSousuke
Feb 19, 2012
He died in mine :X
Iunno, I have such mixed feelings about the fighting game, it seemed really meehhhh from the videos and interviews with the gameplay I've seen so far. It just didn't seem that deep I guess.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

Pierce posted:

ButShinji lived in mine!!!
I haven't played P3P, is this a new thing in that? First I've heard of it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Blaine the Train posted:

I'm finally trying to get through Innocent Sin, and I just had a quick question--is there any reason NOT to return Personas for items in the Velvet Room? Specifically the unique starter Personas?

Also, I just finished the Smile Hirasaka dungeon, and I was wondering if there's any sort of sidequest/rumor stuff I should be tackling before I hit up the next dungeon?

Maia is pretty useful for cheap out of the battle healing, especially if you got her hidden skill. But other than that, no, no reason not to return them. The rewards aren't that great either, so might as well do it once you get something better.

And I don't think there's anything super exciting after Smile Hirasaka. As long as you're regularly checking for new rumours you'll be fine.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kirtan posted:

If you max out Shinji's social link (Moon) with the Female MC and then talk to him again and bug him into actually becoming her boyfriend he lives.

He ends up in a coma.

And wakes up on the last day of the game.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Kirtan posted:

From what I can tellit is unique to the female side of P3P. I just assumed it was possible in both and previous versions.

e: ^beat

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xSousuke posted:

He died in mine :X
Iunno, I have such mixed feelings about the fighting game, it seemed really meehhhh from the videos and interviews with the gameplay I've seen so far. It just didn't seem that deep I guess.

The story is what makes the game awesome. Even if you hate fighting games, the story mode plays out like P3P and cutscenes take up most of the game.

I got a chance to sit back and watch on a youtube channel before the videos were taken down and there was about 15-20 minutes of story between each minute long battle. Each character has their own story, each one altering the story slightly The P3 characters and Initial four P4 characters (Yu, Yoske, Chie, Rise) are similar at the start, but diverge based on what character advances in the tournament. Teddie, Kanji and Naoto have their own stories.(minor progression spoilers)

Edit: The "arcade mode" is not story mode. Some elements from story mode are in there but it is specifically designed for arcade play.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 23, 2012

xSousuke
Feb 19, 2012

Dehry posted:

The story is what makes the game awesome. Even if you hate fighting games, the story mode plays out like P3P and cutscenes take up most of the game.

I got a chance to sit back and watch on a youtube channel before the videos were taken down and there was about 15-20 minutes of story between each minute long battle. Each character has their own story, each one altering the story slightly The P3 characters and Initial four P4 characters (Yu, Yoske, Chie, Rise) are similar at the start, but diverge based on what character advances in the tournament. Teddie, Kanji and Naoto have their own stories.(minor progression spoilers)

Edit: The "arcade mode" is not story mode. Some elements from story mode are in there but it is specifically designed for arcade play.

In that case then it has a lot more merit to play it a few times through for the story. I recall that the game was developed by the same guys who did Blaz Blue and when I played through it there was about as much story one of these new final fantasy games (aka none) I love persona especially P4 so if the story is fun to enjoy then its def worth playing

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The story of Persona 4 Arena is really nothing special. I've only played through the Persona 4 characters so far, but it is just basically retreading everything you went through in P4. Maybe the P3 characters will offer up something different, but I am getting burnt out on fighting shadows again and people relearning the loving lessons they already learned, it's stupid. Mind you Kanji's is actually pretty funny.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

P4A is a cool game but I haven't even touched Story mode yet, been playing Versus and Challenges and messing around with characters in Training. I like fighting games though

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
The story is eh. Some of the characters get interesting stuff, but a lot of them just cover the same stuff. Kanji's stories are good though.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

P4A story mode desperately needed a bunch of shared chapters you only needed to view once. I really didn't need to see "character figures out rules of tournament" 12 times.

Also if you like fighting games the actual game is pretty great.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The story of Persona 4 Arena is really nothing special. I've only played through the Persona 4 characters so far, but it is just basically retreading everything you went through in P4. Maybe the P3 characters will offer up something different, but I am getting burnt out on fighting shadows again and people relearning the loving lessons they already learned, it's stupid. Mind you Kanji's is actually pretty funny.

You should complete Labrys' before 'finishing' anyone else. It gets better after that, and the P3 characters are pretty different (but so is Naoto and Teddie, so...)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cityinthesea posted:

You should complete Labrys' before 'finishing' anyone else. It gets better after that, and the P3 characters are pretty different (but so is Naoto and Teddie, so...)

You need to beat it with one P3 character to unlock Labrys for Story Mode.

xSousuke posted:

In that case then it has a lot more merit to play it a few times through for the story. I recall that the game was developed by the same guys who did Blaz Blue and when I played through it there was about as much story one of these new final fantasy games (aka none) I love persona especially P4 so if the story is fun to enjoy then its def worth playing
What? Are you thinking of some other game? Or did you only play Arcade Mode? BlazBlue can't shut the hell up about its crazy time-looping story for fifteen seconds*. I don't remember the first iteration that well, but I'm pretty sure its story mode was pretty huge.

*this is okay because if you cut out the dumb catgirl nonsense and inane tit jokes the story is pretty cool in a crazy evangelion-esque way. granted the dumb poo poo is a good third of it but it is a fighting game who cares?

I'm personally having a blast with P4A. I just started Labrys' story, and I'm a bit weirded out that JYB is voicing "researcher with a tie" in the 1999 flashback. EDIT: Hah, disregard.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 24, 2012

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can't be the only one that heard GLaDOS when they revealed the true enemy

I'm having a hell of a time looking up more story mode videos. Atlus is taking them all down as soon as they're up now. They're not making me buy a 360/PS3 and a PSVita this year.:colbert:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dehry posted:

They're not making me buy a 360/PS3 and a PSVita this year.:colbert:

pssssst do it, Not just for P4A and P4G, obviously, there are a ton of great titles on both (yes there are good games on the Vita I promise).

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Maybe the P3 characters will offer up something different, but I am getting burnt out on fighting shadows again and people relearning the loving lessons they already learned, it's stupid. Mind you Kanji's is actually pretty funny.

I like the idea that their shadows can come back and that they can regress. The execution sucks, but having the characters need to put in effort to continue being better people makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

To be fair, Zen have said they'll be making a special edition for the European release of P4A. As for what'll be included and when it'll actually come out :iiam:

With the exception of Arc System Works, every company involved with making and distributing this game seems to have handled it really poorly.