Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

After getting the Air, I'm really wanting to buy the magic trackpad for my iMac. I don't even plug in a mouse to my air anymore unless I am playing a FPS game.

Learn ALL of the gestures on the trackpad, they are all pretty useful.

Now go and use a laptop that doesn't support multi touch gestures.

Once you use them you can't go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

TUSR posted:

so true.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TUSR posted:

Or any laptop without a huge, glass trackpad.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Bob Morales posted:

This. This is 99% of why I love Apple. Why can't other companies make a trackpad bigger than a postage stamp. It's not like you can patent trackpad size or something. I always get frustrated with pc laptops and end up just using the clit.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 23, 2012

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

OMG you aren't kidding. Why can't PC laptops have something besides itty bitty plastic trackpads?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've only had the huge trackpad for two days and I'm already hooked. I tried using my 2008 macbook last night and poo poo just didn't feel right.

My magic trackpad has already been ordered.. Apple is pretty good at this poo poo. :tinfoil:

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
So I forgot to ask the actual question I came here to ask:

I'm putting an SSD in my parents' mini (A1283 C2D 2GB). It currently has 10.7, but I'll just be installing 10.6 on the new drive with the recovery disk. Any ideas on if I should upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8? I hear ML makes this model of mini crazy slow.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

xzzy posted:

Employer just awarded me a macbook (MacBookPro9,1) loaded with 10.8.

I'm getting terrible white noise problems and am having troubles finding ways to fix it. Googling around it appears this has been a somewhat common problem for several years but I could not find a single viable solution. Most people suggest buying a usb sound card which is completely ridiculous when all I want to do is listen to mp3's at work.

I get the noise with both the internal speakers and headphones. I don't think it's bad headphones or cabling as the headphones work fine on my older macbook. The white noise is consistently loud no matter what I have the system volume set to. System sounds and music plays fine otherwise, there's just a layer of noise underneath it.

It's the same sound you get when you turn on your home stereo and crank the volume up to maximum with no music playing.. which maybe says to me the soundcard is set wrong, but the preferences panel doesn't have any kind of advanced mode for me to dick with.

Suggestions? Give up and return the laptop as defective or is there some kind of advanced mode that lets me adjust settings on the sound card myself?

edit - unplugging from the wall and running off battery has no effect on the noise either, so I don't think it's generic "shielding problems" unless it's a problem internal to the laptop itself.

I had one time where I booted up my MBP and had some fairly loud white noise and distorted audio in my headphones. Going into Audio MIDI Setup in Utilities, selecting the Built-in Output, and changing the sample rate or bit depth to some other setting and then back reset whatever bugged out (whatever those settings are isn't really important).

If that doesn't work, try reseting PRAM and the SMC, just to be safe. Other than that, off to AppleCare.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

I had one time where I booted up my MBP and had some fairly loud white noise and distorted audio in my headphones. Going into Audio MIDI Setup in Utilities, selecting the Built-in Output, and changing the sample rate or bit depth to some other setting and then back reset whatever bugged out (whatever those settings are isn't really important).

If that doesn't work, try reseting PRAM and the SMC, just to be safe. Other than that, off to AppleCare.

Yeah, I've tried all that over the past day. I even did a clean install of 10.8 on the odd chance my time machine import brought in some crazy setting that messed up the sound card.. still get white noise.

The only time I don't get white noise is when the power on chime plays. :iiam:

So yeah, moral of the story is AppleCare.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

AbsoluteLlama posted:

So I forgot to ask the actual question I came here to ask:

I'm putting an SSD in my parents' mini (A1283 C2D 2GB). It currently has 10.7, but I'll just be installing 10.6 on the new drive with the recovery disk. Any ideas on if I should upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8? I hear ML makes this model of mini crazy slow.

I've got 8GB in my C2D and the upgrade to Mountain Lion really slowed me down. An SSD would help, of course, but I wouldn't recommend the jump from 10.7 to 10.8 unless they really love iMessages or Twitter integration.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Thinking of picking up a new 13" Air as babby's first Mac. For various reasons that are too tedious to go into, going from 4GB to 8GB is about a $210 jump in price.

Is it worth it? I would mainly be using it as a general-purpose laptop, web browsing, Google Docs, etc. and maybe the odd game of Civ V or something similar. Boot/wake time is a big deal for me. FWIW, I do fine with 4GB in my desktop W7 machine.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

saint gerald posted:

Thinking of picking up a new 13" Air as babby's first Mac. For various reasons that are too tedious to go into, going from 4GB to 8GB is about a $210 jump in price.

Is it worth it? I would mainly be using it as a general-purpose laptop, web browsing, Google Docs, etc. and maybe the odd game of Civ V or something similar. Boot/wake time is a big deal for me. FWIW, I do fine with 4GB in my desktop W7 machine.

As someone who made the jump to first Mac with the MBA a year ago, I'd say stick with the lower RAM, as it'll be fine for everything you listed except probably Civ V and that's probably more a function of the processor/integrated graphics. $210 is basically 1/5 the way to a new one the next time around when you're better able to tell what your needs are, or if you even like Macs all that much.

Looking forward to my 2015 13" MBA with wicked sick graphics so's I can play all these Steam games someone used my credit card to buy for me.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Because buying it from Apple with the RAM upgrade+tax costs you more than buying it on Amazon?

Is it worth it? Short answer: yes. OSX keeps applications running and pages them out by default. It's easy to forget that you have Firefox, Office, Chrome, iTunes, Adium, Spotify, Sparrow, and 10 other things open, because they're not cluttering up your taskbar.

Plus virtualizing, should you want to, is going to be painful on 4GB.

Is it worth $210, though? No. If you want the expandability, you should get a 13" pro instead.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

As someone who made the jump to first Mac with the MBA a year ago, I'd say stick with the lower RAM, as it'll be fine for everything you listed except probably Civ V and that's probably more a function of the processor/integrated graphics. $210 is basically 1/5 the way to a new one the next time around when you're better able to tell what your needs are, or if you even like Macs all that much.

Yeah, I'm not expecting Civ V to run great. It doesn't seem like memory is going to be the limiting factor on the Air's gaming performance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That said, 4GB is going to get pretty cramped if you end up keeping the thing for 3-4 years and try to keep pace with OS updates.

$210 has some sticker shock, but you can never have too much RAM.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Concur, my 13in 2011 MBA (4Gb) never had a memory issue except for running windows VMs. If you never need to run a VM (IE. you either don't use windows or always reboot into bootcamp) 4Gb of Ram will not be an issue with an current workload, save the money and swap out that MBA when the time comes (2 years).

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

evol262 posted:

Because buying it from Apple with the RAM upgrade+tax costs you more than buying it on Amazon?

More or less. Plus Amazon Visa "discount" of 3% and Apple educational pricing.

quote:

Is it worth $210, though? No. If you want the expandability, you should get a 13" pro instead.

The Pro doesn't appeal at that price point. A somewhat faster processor and expandability, but a SSD rather than a hard drive, and double the weight. Unless I'm missing something. If I outgrow the Air I ought to be able to get a good price for it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mdtyson posted:

I've got 8GB in my C2D and the upgrade to Mountain Lion really slowed me down. An SSD would help, of course, but I wouldn't recommend the jump from 10.7 to 10.8 unless they really love iMessages or Twitter integration.

Based on what? If anything it should 'feel' faster. I noticed ML felt more like SL (meaning faster like before Lion) on my C2D and so does virtually everyone else.

saint gerald posted:

The Pro doesn't appeal at that price point. A somewhat faster processor and expandability, but a SSD rather than a hard drive, and double the weight. Unless I'm missing something. If I outgrow the Air I ought to be able to get a good price for it.

8GB for a Pro is $40, and (if you watch Slickdeals) a 256GB SSD can be had for $160 and a 512GB SSD is $320-ish

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

saint gerald posted:

You are not missing anything the 13' Pro is not compelling at all right now. Better CPU but no discreet graphics, and spinning harddrives and double the weight. I would consider a 13' Pro a downgrade to a 13' Air in almost ALL workloads.

The rumors are that there will be a 13' Pro with the same internals (as the current) but in the retina form factor announced in Sept.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

saint gerald posted:

I wold expect airs to take a hit depending on the size/weight of the 13 mbpr. Even more when the next gen of airs come out.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Stick100 posted:

The rumors are that there will be a 13' Pro with the same internals (as the current) but in the retina form factor announced in Sept.

Maybe I'll wait for that, if it's going to be in that same rough price area. It'd surely have to have a discrete graphics card to push all that resolution, right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 15" Retina can run it on the integrated graphics. Battery life would last like 2 hours if just running an OS required discrete graphics.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

saint gerald posted:

Maybe I'll wait for that, if it's going to be in that same rough price area. It'd surely have to have a discrete graphics card to push all that resolution, right?

Maybe. Or maybe they'll wait until Haswell. On the other hand, since the ipad is 2048x1536, 2560x1600 on Ivy Bridge doesn't seem too crazy.

You're not going to do any gaming at that resolution, but you weren't at 1280x800 either!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

TRIM ENABLER still works for Mountain Lion 10.8.1.

Just enabled it now, was able to trim blocks in single user sign on.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

saint gerald posted:

The rumors/benchmarks that keep showing up are the exact same hardware as the current 13' pro, (no discrete video). Obviously we guess it will have a retina screen and weight less than the 15in rMBP. I'm also hopeful for a 13in rMBP with discrete video.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 23, 2012

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
How quickly should a MBP (early '11 sandy bridge) battery drain while asleep? I feel like if I close the top when its fully charged and don't touch it for a week (or maybe a bit longer), it will be close to dead the next time I opening it. This seems a bit quick to me, but maybe it could be attributed to ninja girlfriend usage. I'm going to charge it tonight and make sure it is not touched until Monday to confirm/deny my suspicions.

Similarly, how fast should the battery drain while shut down (if at all)?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Splinter posted:

How quickly should a MBP (early '11 sandy bridge) battery drain while asleep? I feel like if I close the top when its fully charged and don't touch it for a week (or maybe a bit longer), it will be close to dead the next time I opening it. This seems a bit quick to me, but maybe it could be attributed to ninja girlfriend usage. I'm going to charge it tonight and make sure it is not touched until Monday to confirm/deny my suspicions.

Similarly, how fast should the battery drain while shut down (if at all)?
Uh, a week isn't bad. I'd give most of my sleeping portables 4-5 days before they're basically dead from sleep.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the MBA is supposed to last 30 days on sleep mode. The MBP doesn't and a week sounds normal for that. My 2011 MBP lasted a few days.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe. Or maybe they'll wait until Haswell. On the other hand, since the ipad is 2048x1536, 2560x1600 on Ivy Bridge doesn't seem too crazy.

You're not going to do any gaming at that resolution, but you weren't at 1280x800 either!

Yeah, this is a thing I'd like to have. I'll wait and see what September turns up.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

mdtyson posted:

Thanks. The SSD has greatly improved the speed. My mother is ecstatic and it was the last day I was visiting so it was a last-minute idea I randomly came up with to order the ssd yesterday. I just left it at 10.6 since old people don't really know the difference anyway.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
#firstworldproblems but my new MBA has lead to me not using my old iPad anymore at all. Who else has both and what do you still use the iPad for?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

sweek0 posted:

#firstworldproblems but my new MBA has lead to me not using my old iPad anymore at all. Who else has both and what do you still use the iPad for?

I've owned 1st and 3rd gen iPad and i've tried to really like them, but I always eventually lost interest in them by 2 months and sold them. The hardware is good, the software is awesome. I just don't really need a tablet. I actually used my iPod Touch more, because it was always in my pocket, and had many of the same awesome apps.

If I didnt have a smartphone, and the macbook was out of my reach budget wise, i'd be all over the iPad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

saint gerald posted:

Yeah, this is a thing I'd like to have. I'll wait and see what September turns up.
The new iPhone :v:. Wait until October, or next year. Or just buy now instead of waiting a month or two or indefinitely.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

sweek0 posted:

I've not touched mine since either..

I use my iPad for testing how digital design stuff looks / works + as a portfolio for my work. Also for games and when I want a break from typing for a bit. It's also my favourite way to use Twitter.

And Netflix I guess.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

sweek0 posted:

My MBA is my only desktop/laptop so it handles everything' for me. My iPad is for when I'm in the house cooking, or browsing the Internet away from my desk, and generally when I'm out and don't want people staring at my screen.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

japtor posted:

The new iPhone :v:. Wait until October, or next year. Or just buy now instead of waiting a month or two or indefinitely.

Well, yeah, The New iPhone(TM) is pretty much a done deal already. I get the feeling September 12 is going to be an expensive day.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sweek0 posted:

Sold my iPad 3 recently and got a Nexus 7. All I use it for are Kindle books and Instapaper articles.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sweek0 posted:

I've had both for about 6 months now, and much prefer reading on the The New iPad. I do most of my browsing at home on that. The Air is pretty much relegated to programming.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Mu Zeta posted:

Sold my iPad 3 recently and got a Nexus 7. All I use it for are Kindle books and Instapaper articles.

After buying my MBA I realized there's no situation I'd really rather use my iPad instead of either my phone or Air so I sold it, but I sold it with an eye on the iPad Mini rumors. I think a 7" iPad "fits" much more nicely between a 13" laptop and smartphone than the bigger one did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalix
May 8, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

After buying my MBA I realized there's no situation I'd really rather use my iPad instead of either my phone or Air so I sold it,

Do you have the 11inch or 13inch?

What about the rest of you who are selling or considering selling your iPads?

Personally, I have the older 13inch Air -- and my iPad has been staying home a lot. I use it for reading and surfing in bed, looking at articles and the like.

When I was studying for tests it was nice, and made me realize that when I head back into school I'll keep it.
Having all your books and various PDFS, references, quickly available was awesome.

I know people in school who are using apps to write and simultaneously type on the iPad with the bluetooth keyboard.
Seems to work reasonably well for those who really want the ability to mark up a PDF/Lecture.

Given this use, i'd still opt for the larger IPad..approaches a full screen of paper. Plus it doesn't hurt for watching netflix in bed.